Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Bangladesh Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Bangladesh - Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Exercise increased caution in Bangladesh due to crime and terrorism.

Reconsider travel to:

  • Dhaka due to crime and terrorism.
  • Southeast Bangladesh, including the Chittagong Hill Tracts, due to crime and terrorism.

Violent crime, such as armed robbery, assault, and rape, is widespread.

Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Bangladesh. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, restaurants, places of worship, and local government facilities. There is a possibility of terrorist attacks in urban areas despite the heavy police presence. 

Only adult spouses and/or partners are permitted to accompany U.S. government employees assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh. U.S. government personnel in Bangladesh live, work, and travel under strict security guidelines and are prohibited from:

  • Traveling on foot, motorcycle, bicycle, rickshaw, compressed natural gas autorickshaw (CNG), or other uncovered means on public thoroughfares and sidewalks in Bangladesh;
  • Visiting most public establishments; and
  • Attending large gatherings, including events at international hotels, in Bangladesh without prior permission.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

If you decide to travel to Bangladesh:

  • Avoid all demonstrations or political gatherings.
  • Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.  Flee to a safe area and report the situation to the local authorities.

·         Do not travel on foot, motorcycle, bicycle, rickshaw, compressed natural gas autorickshaw (CNG), or other uncovered means.


Dhaka’s crime rate is high, and crime increases dramatically at night.  Urban crime can be organized or opportunistic, conducted by individuals or groups, and commonly includes fraud, theft, robbery, carjacking, rape, assault, and burglary.

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Southeast Bangladesh

Travel is dangerous to the Khagrachari, Rangamati, and Bandarban Hill Tracts districts (collectively known as the Chittagong Hill Tracts) due to kidnappings and other security incidents. Political demonstrations, blockades, and violent clashes have occurred and are likely to continue.  Prior approval from Bangladesh’s Ministry of Home Affairs Office of Public Safety is required if you plan to travel to the Chittagong Hill Tracts. 

Visit our website for Travel to High-Risk Areas.

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

People's Republic of Bangladesh
Quick Facts

Six months beyond planned stay.




Required, and must be in a valid passport. 


Hepatitis A, typhoid fever vaccinations required; Hepatitis B, Japanese encephalitis, Rabies vaccinations recommended. There is no risk of Yellow Fever in Bangladesh; however proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is required if traveling from a country with a risk of Yellow Fever and the traveler is older than one year of age.


USD 5, 000 and above must be declared.


You cannot depart with more USD than you declared upon entry. Bangladeshi Taka (BDT) greater than 5,000 BDT cannot be taken out of the country.

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dhaka

Madani Avenue,
Baridhara, Dhaka, 1212
Telephone: +(88) (2) 5566-2000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(88) (2) 5566-2000, press "0" and ask for the duty officer
Fax: +(88) (2)5566-2907

Destination Description

Bangladesh is located on the northern edge of the Bay of Bengal; it is bordered on three sides by India and also shares a border with Burma. Approximately 160 million people inhabit Bangladesh. Bangladesh is a parliamentary democracy with a unicameral legislature. The nation is a developing country with significant infrastructure shortcomings. Outside of Dhaka, tourist facilities are underdeveloped, as are capacities to deal with emergency situations.

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Bangladesh for information about U.S.-Bangladesh relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Passports and Visas:

  • Your passport must be valid for six months beyond your planned stay in Bangladesh, have at least one blank page, a Bangladeshi visa, and an onward or return ticket.
  • U.S. citizens are eligible for visas on arrival. We strongly recommend obtaining a visa before traveling. Visit the Embassy of Bangladesh website for the most current visa information.
  • Short term travelers can be denied entry if they cannot demonstrate sufficient financial liquidity. 
  • Visas must be in a valid passport. In country, you may obtain a visa in your new passport at the Department of Immigration and Passports. Replacing a visa, which is required in order to exit the country, may take three to four business days.
  • There are financial penalties for overstaying the terms of your visa and it can be very difficult and time-consuming to change your immigration status after you have arrived in Bangladesh. At this time, the penalty for overstays of up to 15 days is 200 Taka per day plus a $160 processing fee. Overstays of 16-30 days will be charged at 500 Taka per day plus a $160.00 processing fee. Overstays in excess of 30 days require adjudication at the Immigration offices. For further information on these rules, visit the Bangladeshi Immigration Police website.

Exit Taxes:

  • When traveling by air, all foreigners except children under the age of two must pay a departure tax. While often included when air tickets are purchased, it may be collected at the airport at the time of departure. The amount of the departure tax varies depending on the destination.
  • If departing by road in a private vehicle, you must obtain a road exit permit by contacting the Director General, Immigration and Passports. A refundable cash deposit is typically required; the amount of the deposit is based on the value of the vehicle.

Dual Citizens:

  • U.S.-Bangladeshi dual nationals and their immediate family members are eligible for a “No Visa Required for Travel to Bangladesh” seal, which can be issued in their U.S. passports by the nearest Bangladeshi Embassy or Consulate.  
  • Accepting the “No Visa Required” seal means a U.S. dual national acknowledges Bangladeshi nationality and accepts its associated responsibilities.
  • Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website.

HIV/AIDS: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Bangladesh. Please verify this information with the Embassy of Bangladesh before you travel.

Customs: For information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page

Safety and Security

The U.S. government assesses that the terrorist threat remains real and credible and that further terrorist attacks could occur against foreigners in Bangladesh. U.S. citizens in Bangladesh should take precautions, remain vigilant, and be alert to local security developments.

Since 2015, ISIS-affiliated terrorists have conducted over 30 attacks that targeted foreigners, religious minorities, and local police/security services. In March 2017, ISIS claimed responsibility for at least three bombings in multiple locations in Bangladesh, including two suicide attacks that targeted security forces near Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. The third bombing transpired during a police raid against suspected terrorists, killing seven onlookers and injuring 40. If you observe high-profile police activity, depart the area immediately. These three bombings were the first major terrorist attacks in the country since July 2016, when ISIS attacked a Dhaka restaurant frequented by Westerners, killing 20 hostages, including a U.S. citizen.

Al-Qa’ida in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS) retains a presence in Bangladesh; the group last carried out attacks in 2015 and 2016 that killed several secular bloggers, publishers, and human rights activitists; a U.S. citizen was among the victims.

Current aviation safety and security protocols for Bangladeshi airports are not equivalent to those of the United States. The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has raised significant aviation security concerns, as have the United Kingdom Department for Transport, and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) regarding Dhaka’s Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport. In November 2016, an individual armed with a knife attempted to gain entry to the airport through the international departures access point. As of June 2017, the European Union joined Australia in banning direct air cargo services and shipments from Bangladesh pending improvements to Dhaka’s security screening procedures. DOD personnel are prohibited from using Biman Airlines.

The following groups, including several on the U.S. government’s list of designated Foreign Terrorist Organizations, are active in Bangladesh:

  • Islamic State of Iraq and ash-Sham (ISIS), known locally as Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB or “Neo-JMB”)
  • Al-Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent (AQIS), known locally as Ansar al-Islam
  • Lashkar-e-Tayyiba
  • Indigenous sectarian groups

U.S. government officials and their adult family members must follow these security and travel restrictions:

  • They may not travel on foot, motorcycle, bicycle, rickshaw, compressed natural gas autorickshaw (CNG), or other uncovered means,
  • Their attendance at large gatherings, including events at international hotels, is restricted and evaluated on a case-by-case basis.


  • Political parties and other organizations frequently organize general strikes to disrupt or shut down services. Avoid all demonstrations or political gatherings in Bangladesh.
  • Demonstrations sometimes lead to violent clashes resulting in injuries, deaths, property damage, blocked highways, and sabotaged trains and railways. Participants throw rocks, debris, and small homemade explosive devices. Security forces use tear gas and other crowd control measures against demonstrators, including firearms with rubber bullets.
  • Visitors to Bangladesh should check U.S. Embassy Dhaka’s website for updated information on the current political and security situation.

Specific Areas to Avoid:

  • Avoid Road 86 in the Gulshan-2 area of Dhaka during demonstrations, national strikes, or elections. Take particular precaution against exposed movement during hours of darkness in the vicinity of Gulshan-2 Circle (DIT-2).
  • Avoid Naya Paltan area in Dhaka, Baitul Mukarram Mosque (National Mosque), Muktangan (bordered by Baitul Mukarram Mosque to the east, the General Post Office (GPO) to the south, the Secretariat to the West, and Topkhana Road to the North), and Topkhana-Motijheel Road because political rallies can occur at these locations.


  • U.S. citizens are advised against traveling to the Khagrachari, Rangamati, and Bandarban Hill Tracts districts (collectively known as the Chittagong Hill Tracts) due to kidnappings and other security incidents.
  • If you travel in the Chittagong Hill Tracts, you must register with local authorities and you should exercise extreme caution.

Fire: Fires in Bangladesh are both common and extremely dangerous. To call the fire department, dial 199 in Dhaka or (88) (02) 199 outside of Dhaka, or call by mobile phone from anywhere in Bangladesh by dialing (88) 01713-038181, (88) 01713-038182 or (88) 01730-336699.

Crime: Dhaka's crime rate is high. Crime dramatically increases at night.  Urban crime can be organized or opportunistic, conducted by individuals or groups, and commonly encompasses acts such as fraud, theft, robbery carjacking, rape, assault, and burglary. Incidents of crime and levels of violence are higher in low-income residential and congested commercial areas, but are seen in wealthier areas as well, including the Diplomatic Enclave in Dhaka.

  • Pick-pocketing, theft and larceny are common on buses and trains at all hours of the day.
  • Police responsiveness varies widely and crimes often go unsolved or unprosecuted.
  • Dual U.S-Bangladesh nationals may not be recognized as U.S. citizens by the local authorities.
  • Take precautions to avoid crime: lock home and vehicle doors, hire a 24-hour guard, vary routes and schedules, keep your bags or valuables under your legs and away from passing vehicle traffic, ensure your bag’s carrying straps are not visible, travel in groups, travel with a native Bangla-speaker if you go outside of urban areas, and carry a mobile phone. If you are assaulted, do not fight with your attacker. Flee to a safe area and report the situation to the local authorities.

Victims of Crime: Victims of crime should contact the U.S. Embassy and the police. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

To report a crime locally you may contact:

  • The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Bangladesh is (88) (02) 999. This number connects you to the Dhaka Metro Police Exchange. The Police Exchange can transfer calls to the appropriate police station within the Dhaka metropolitan area, or provide you the phone number for a station outside of Dhaka.  There is no guarantee that English will be spoken or understood at the Dhaka Metro Police Exchange or any police station in the country.
  • The Dhaka Metropolitan Police Department special unit for non-Bangladeshi citizen victims of crime can be reached at “(88) 01700700700” and e-mail diplomathelpdesk@gmail.com.
  • The Sylhet Metropolitan Police Foreigners’ Help Desk can be reached at (88) 01713-374364.
  • A 24 hour toll-free helpline specifically for victims of violent crime such as rape or domestic violence which is managed by the Ministry of Women and Children’s Affairs is available at 109.  Operators are trained to respond in both English and local language and can provide information on shelters, police resources, and hospital facilities in Bangladesh.

The U.S. Embassy can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police, but only local authorities can investigate and prosecute crimes
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan
  • help you find emergency accommodations and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You must obey all laws in Bangladesh.

  • If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 
  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Bangladesh are severe, including long jail sentences, heavy fines, or even death.
  • You may be taken in for questioning if you don’t have your passport with you or if you take pictures of certain buildings, such as military facilities, embassies, police stations, shipyards, traffic inspection facilities, or airports. This list is not meant to be exhaustive. You should be cautious when photographing government facilities in general.
  • Driving under the influence could land you immediately in jail.
  • Some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.


  • Bangladesh customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary import or export of items such as currency, household appliances, alcohol, cigarettes, and weapons.
  • Bangladesh does not allow the exchange of local currency (Bangladesh taka) for U.S. dollars (cash and traveler’s checks), unless the customer has a ticket for travel outside of Bangladesh.
  • Contact the Bangladeshi Embassy or Consulates for specific information regarding customs requirements. Please see our Customs Information.

Dual Nationality: U.S. citizens holding both U.S. and Bangladeshi citizenship may not be immediately recognized as U.S. citizens by the local authorities and may initially be treated as Bangladeshi citizens.

Forced Marriage: A marriage must be entered into with the full and free consent of both individuals. The Embassy can provide help and advice if a U.S. citizen is being forced into a marriage against his or her will. Please refer to the U.S. Embassy’s information on forced marriage. All travelers to Bangladesh, including Bangladeshi citizens, should maintain possession of their passports and return plane tickets to ensure independence to travel.

Registration for Renters: The Bangladesh Government registers all residents, requesting biodata and other personal information. This registration is mandatory for all renters, but is voluntary for home-owners and for foreigners. Foreigners who are dual nationals or who once held Bangladesh nationality or who have a “no visa required” stamp in their passports will be considered Bangladeshi for registration purposes.

Property Disputes: 

  • Land disputes are common in Bangladesh and are extremely difficult to resolve through legal channels.
  • The U.S. Embassy cannot protect personal property and cannot take sides in a legal dispute.
  • U.S. citizens wishing to purchase property should be aware of the risks, including not being physically present to oversee property.
  • Involvement in a property dispute may pose dangers such as lengthy court disputes to being threatened, injured, or murdered. Those involved in a court dispute run the risk of having cases filed against them, and they may be arrested and jailed.

Natural Disasters: 

  • Heavy flooding occurs during the monsoon season (June to October) and 30 percent of the country may be under water.
  • Cyclones occur most frequently in pre-monsoon (April and May) and post-monsoon (October and November) and have wind speeds of up to 150 km/hr and storm surges of up to 5 meters.
  • Bangladesh is at severe risk from tornadoes.

Bangladesh is in a zone 2B earthquake fault region, with a moderate probability of damaging ground motion. The overwhelming majority of structures in Bangladesh would not withstand a moderate earthquake. Although earthquakes are more likely to occur in the north of the country, destruction from an earthquake is expected to be most acute in urban areas. Post-earthquake disaster relief capabilities are extremely limited.

You should make contingency plans for your travel in Bangladesh and leave emergency contact information with family members outside of Bangladesh. General information about natural disaster preparedness is available from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and at Ready.gov. For more information on disaster preparedness, please click on the following links:

Women Travelers: If you are a woman traveling abroad, please review our travel tips for Women Travelers

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Rights: Consensual same-sex sexual activity is criminalized in Bangladesh and penalties include up to life imprisonment. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details. In 2016, AQIS specifically targeted and killed a prominent member of the Bangladesh LGBTI community in his apartment because of his human rights activism and sexual orientation.

Persons with Mobility Issues: Public transportation, sidewalks, many buildings, and public areas are not wheelchair accessible.


Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan covers you when you are outside of the United States.

  • The Embassy cannot pay medical bills.
  • Be aware that U.S. Medicare and most U.S. Health Insurance coverage does not apply overseas. You should check your insurance to see if it covers costs incurred overseas.
  • Doctors and hospitals often expect cash payment for health services at the time of service.
  • We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation, since medical transport out of the country can be prohibitively expensive.
  • See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

Medical Care: Quality of care is below U.S. standards, but most common illnesses can be treated locally. U.S. citizens often travel outside of Bangladesh for complicated medical treatment, including routine surgical procedures.

  • There have been reports of counterfeit medications within the country, but medication from major pharmacies and hospitals is generally reliable.
  • Water supplies in Bangladesh are not potable, though bottled drinking water is generally safe for consumption. 
  • Fecal-oral contamination is common. Improperly prepared meat and improperly cleaned vegetables can lead to food-borne illnesses. Wash, soak, peel, and thoroughly cook food to minimize chemical, insecticide, bacterial, and parasitic contamination. Although the Embassy cannot provide medical advice or provide medical services to the public, a list of hospitals and doctors in Dhaka can be found on the Embassy website.
  • As a protection against mosquito-borne illness, regular use of insect repellent and long sleeves and pants are recommended.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention specific for Bangladesh

Further Health Information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:

  • Traffic in Bangladesh moves on the left, the opposite of U.S. traffic, and large vehicles generally take the right-of-way.
  • Roads are extremely crowded, poorly maintained, often lack shoulders, have numerous potholes, sharp drop-offs, and barriers that are not sign-posted.
  • Drivers are often unlicensed, aggressive, and poorly trained. Many vehicles, particularly large trucks and buses, are poorly maintained.
  • Speed limits and other traffic laws are not commonly posted and are rarely observed by motorists. Vehicles often run red lights and merge directly into traffic without stopping. The practice of using one’s car horn or flashing high-beam headlights to announce one’s presence is the norm in all areas of Bangladesh at all times of day or night.

Road accidents, including fatal head-on collisions, are common in Bangladesh. When traveling by road you should:

  • Exercise extreme caution when crossing streets, even in areas frequented by pedestrians;
  • Use seatbelts if available and wear helmets on motorcycles and bicycles;
  • Do not travel by road without an experienced local driver or guide;
  • Exercise particular vigilance along intercity highways, as banditry and carjacking have been known to occur;
  • Monitor local news for any reports of road disturbances as protestors and demonstrators often use road blockage as a means of publicizing their grievances. 

If a serious accident occurs, or if a driver hits a pedestrian or livestock, crowds quickly gather and the behavior of the crowd is often unpredictable. The vehicle and its occupants may be at risk of being attacked in such circumstances depending on who the crowd believes is at fault and what damage has occurred.  Such attacks may pose significant risk of injury or death to the vehicle's occupants or damage to the vehicle. It is unsafe to remain at the scene of an accident of this nature. Seek shelter at the nearest police station.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. We also suggest that you visit Bangladesh’s National Tourism Organization website.

Public Transportation:

  • We strongly urge you not to use buses, rickshaws, and mini-taxis due to the high accident rates and crime issues. Instead, consider a rental car and driver.
  • The Bangladesh passenger rail system is antiquated and overburdened. Some political activists target the rail lines during civil unrest by hurling explosives and removing rail ties from the tracks, making the trips unusually dangerous and causing cancellations. Even in peaceful times, foreigners are often the center of attention at many train stations because of the relatively atypical presence of foreign travelers on rail in the country.

Aviation Safety Oversight:

The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Bangladesh’s Civil Aviation Authority as not being in compliance with ICAO aviation safety standards for oversight of Bangladesh’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Dhaka

Madani Avenue,
Baridhara, Dhaka, 1212
Telephone: +(88) (2) 5566-2000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(88) (2) 5566-2000, press "0" and ask for the duty officer
Fax: +(88) (2)5566-2907

General Information

For information concerning travel to Bangladesh, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Bangladesh.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Bangladesh is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Bangladesh and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  The government of Bangladesh maintains information about custody, visitation, and family law on the Internet at here and here.

Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Bangladesh and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Website: travel.state.gov
Email: NSB-IPCA@state.gov

Parental child abduction is not a crime in Bangladesh.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Bangladesh and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, Bangladesh, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Recently, the Bangladesh Ministry of Law began an active campaign to formally incorporate mediation in both criminal and civil cases.  However, to date mediation is not mandatory and remains up to the discretion and agreement of the mediating parties in both civil and criminal courts.  There are also a number of local NGOs in Bangladesh that may provide Alternative Dispute Resolution and mediation services.

Bangladesh National Women's Lawyers' Association (BNWLA)
Monico Mina Tower, 48/3. West Agargaon, Dhaka-1207
Legal Hotline: 880-1711800400
E-mail: bnwla@hrcmail.net

Ain O Shalish Kendra (ASK)
7/17, Block-B, Lalmatia, Dhaka-1207.
Phone: 880-2-8126134, 880-2-8126137, 880-2-8126047
E-mail: ask@citechco.net

Bangladesh Mahila Parishad
10/B/1, Segun Bagicha, Dhaka -1000
Phone: 880-2-7169701, 880-2-9563529
E-mail: mahila@bdcom.com

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Bangladesh is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption(Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention or “orphan” cases. The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider acts as a primary provider in every case, and that adoption service providers providing adoption services on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 webpage for further information. The intercountry adoption of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the USCIS website on the impact on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications under the UAA, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Bangladeshi law does not allow for full adoptions of Bangladeshi children in Bangladesh. Prospective adoptive parents considering adopting a Bangladeshi child must obtain guardianship from a Bangladeshi court and subsequently adopt the child in the United States. For more information, please refer to our FAQs.

Only citizens of Bangladesh may obtain guardianship of Bangladeshi children. Since Bangladesh allows for dual citizenship, U.S. citizens who are also Bangladeshi citizens may be appointed guardians of Bangladeshi children.

There have been a number of instances in which U.S. citizens have been incorrectly advised by legal practitioners and have entered into fostering/adoption arrangements which, even though endorsed by local Bangladeshi courts, do not meet the requirements of Bangladeshi law. Adoptions that are not completed in accordance with Bangladeshi law will not meet the requirements for the issuance of a U.S. immigrant visa. Prospective adoptive parents who intend to adopt a Bangladeshi child should not attempt to circumvent the legal guardianship process.

U.S. citizens interested in adopting a child from Bangladesh are strongly encouraged to contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) in New Delhi and the Consular Section in the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka before applying for guardianship. Obtaining legal guardianship under the Bangladeshi law does not guarantee that the child will qualify for a U.S. immigrant visa.


To bring an adopted child to the United States from Bangladesh, you must meet eligibility and suitability requirements. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) determines who can adopt under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States on an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to obtain guardianship of a child from Bangladesh with the intention of adopting the child in the United States:

  • Citizenship: Prospective guardians must provide proof of Bangladeshi citizenship.
  • Age of Adopting Parents: Prospective guardians must be at least 18 years old.
  • Marriage: Bangladesh does not recognize same-sex marriage. However, the Family Court may grant custody to an applicant, irrespective of marital status.  
  • Income: Bangladesh law does not establish a minimum income requirement for guardians. However, a prospective guardian must prove to the Family Court judge that he/she is able to feed, shelter, and educate the child.
  • Other: Prospective guardians must submit an application for legal guardianship to the Family Court. In Bangladesh, the Family Court has sole jurisdiction over family matters.
Who Can Be Adopted
  • In order to qualify for U.S. immigration, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law. Bangladesh does not have any specific provisions of law related to guardianship of siblings or guardianship of special needs children. There is no waiting period or required foster care before a guardianship order may be entered by the Family Court.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In Bangladesh, a child may be placed in an orphanage because his/her parents are unable to provide financial support. In such a case, the parents have not abandoned the child and they intend for the child to return home when the family’s financial circumstances improve. 

How to Adopt

Bangladesh’s Adoption Authority
There is no independent central government adoption authority in Bangladesh. The Family Court has sole jurisdiction over family matters.

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Bangladesh generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Obtain custody of the child in Bangladesh
  4. Obtain a No Objection Certificate from the Ministry of Home Affairs
  5. Apply for the child’s passport
  6. Apply to classify the orphan as an immediate relative
  7. Apply for the child’s immigrant visa

1.  Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

Before taking steps to adopt a child from Bangladesh, you should select a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case.  As of July 14, 2014, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA, unless an exception applies. The primary provider is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided;
  • Supervising and being responsible for supervised providers where used (see 22 CFR 96.14); and
  • Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012

There are no adoption agencies in Bangladesh. However, there are numerous lawyers in Bangladesh who may initiate guardianship proceedings. The U.S. Embassy maintains a list of attorneys with family law experience in Bangladesh. The Embassy can provide contact information for established local charitable orphanages.

2.  Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

File an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt. As of July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, the home study must comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311 and 22 CFR Part 96.47.

3.  Obtain Legal Custody of Child in Bangladesh

 The process for gaining legal custody in Bangladesh includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority: There is no formal adoption authority in Bangladesh.
  • Role of the Court: Family Courts are located in all districts of Bangladesh and generally must be contacted in person. The Family Court reviews the character and capacity of the proposed guardian to care for the child.
  • Role of Adoption Agencies: There are no adoption agencies in Bangladesh.
  • Adoption Application: Prospective adoptive parents seeking to gain guardianship of a Bangladeshi child must submit an application for legal guardianship to the Family Court having jurisdiction over the child’s place of residence.
  • Time Frame: There is no set time frame for completing legal guardianship. Below are estimated processing times for specific stages of the process:
    • Processing time at an orphanage – three days to one month;
    • Processing time at Family Court – one to three months;
    • Processing time at the Ministry of Home Affairs – 15 days to two months.
  • Adoption Fees: There is a court fee of Tk. 60 (US$0.75) for filing the guardianship petition. Lawyer’s fees generally range from Tk. 5,000 to Tk. 50,000 (roughly US$85 to $850). There is no official orphanage fee.

    The UAA and the Intercountry Adoption Act (IAA) make it unlawful to improperly influence relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing Central Authority functions.
  • Documents Required: The following documents are normally required by the Family Court in order to obtain custody:
    • Birth certificate of the minor;
    • Irrevocable release/undertaking of the sole or surviving biological parent (if any) of the child before a Notary Public, 1st Class Magistrate, or the relevant Family Court in Bangladesh;
  • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. If so, the Department of State, Authentications Office may be able to assist.

4.  Obtain a No Objection Certificate from the Ministry of Home Affairs

Please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dhaka, for information about how to obtain a No Objection Certificate.

5.  Apply for the Child’s Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Bangladesh. For information about how to obtain a passport from the Government of Bangladesh, please visit the Bangladesh Passport Office website.

6.  Apply to Classify the Orphan as an Immediate Relative

Prospective adoptive parents must have an approved Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, before the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka can issue an immigrant visa to the prospective adoptive child. Prospective adoptive parents who have a valid approved Form I-600A may submit their Form I-600 to USCIS domestically, in person at Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka, or via email to DhakaAdoptions@state.gov. At the time you file your Form I-600 petition, the adjudicating officer will determine whether the UAA applies or if your case is UAA grandfathered. For more information on UAA grandfathering and transition cases please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider in your case and the adjudicating officer may ask for the name and contact information of the primary provider if not provided in your Form I-600 petition. This information is required and, without it, your Form I-600 petition cannot be approved.

7.  Apply for the Child’s Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you.  As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

You can find instructions for applying for an immigrant visa on the U.S.Embassy Dhaka’s website. To schedule an interview, please email DhakaAdoptions@state.gov after you have completed steps 1 through 6.

Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that consular officers are required by law to complete Form I-604 Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as the “orphan investigation”) to verify that the child is an orphan as defined by U.S. immigration law before an immigrant visa is issued. Depending on the circumstances of a case, this investigation may take up to several weeks to complete, even if the Form I-600 Petition is already approved.

Note: Visa issuance after the I-600 petition has been approved and after the visa interview generally takes at least 48 hours. It will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times by contacting DhakaAdoptions@state.gov before making final travel arrangements.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Bangladesh
In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Bangladesh, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip
Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip
When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Bangladesh, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption Resources
Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Bangladesh
Madani Avenue, Baridhara
Dhaka 1212, Bangladesh
Tel: +880 2 885-5500
Fax: +880 2 882-3744
Email: DhakaAdoptions@state.gov
Internet: https://bd.usembassy.gov/embassy/dhaka/

Embassy of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh
3510, International Drive, N.W.
Washington, D.C.  20008
Tel: (202) 244-0183, (202) 244-7830
Fax: (202) 244-5366
Internet: www.bdembassyusa.org

The People’s Republic of Bangladesh also has consulates in New York and Los Angeles.

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
CA/OCS/CI, SA-17A, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
Email: Adoption@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-600A or I-600 petition:
National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-211 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 None Two 3 Months
E-2C 12 None Two 3 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 12 Months
M-2 None Multiple 12 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Registration of birth is required in Bangladesh under Construct 21 Rules. The Government of Bangladesh has designated local registrar offices throughout Bangladesh for issuance of birth certificates. Applicants should contact the designated office in the locality where they were born. The authorized registrar office is usually the City Corporation, the Pourashava Office, the Union Porishad Office or the Cantonment Board. In some rural areas, the municipal Chairman's office provides registered birth certificates. The format of the birth certificate should include biographic data, the serial number of the register, the page number of the register where the data was recorded and the identity of person who registered the birth. Embassy Dhaka will not accept affidavits of birth from relatives, friends and neighbors.


Available. A registered death certificate is issued in compliance with the Construct 21 rules of the Government of Bangladesh. The Government of Bangladesh has designated local registrar offices throughout Bangladesh for issuance of death certificates. Applicants should contact the designated office in the locality where the deceased was buried. The authorized registrar office is usually the City Corporation, the Pourashava Office, the Union Porishad Office or the Cantonment Board. In some rural areas, the municipal Chairman's office provides registered death certificates. The format of the death certificate should have biographic information about the deceased, the serial number of the register, the page number of the register where the data, and the identity of person who registered the death. Embassy Dhaka will not accept death certificates from hospitals, clinics or doctors. If your spouse, previous spouse, or any family member related to your case is deceased, you must obtain the death certificate from the designated death registry office.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


  • Available/Unavailable:  Available
  • Fees: Marriage registration fees are fixed on the basis of Dower Money.
    • For each 1000/- (One Thousand Taka) of dower money, registration fee is 12.50/- (Twelve Taka and Fifty Paisa)
    • For each 1, 00,000/- (One Lac Taka) of dower money, registration fee is 1,250/- (One Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty Taka)
    • After 4, 00,000/- (Four Lac Taka), for each lac registration fee is 100/- (One Hundred Taka)
      Example: suppose Dower money is 1000/-, so registration fee shall be = 12.50/-, this calculation shall be applicable only up to 4 lac, after 4 lac, for every 1 lac 100 taka shall be added to main amount. 
      Dower money 1 lac taka, registration fee= 1,250/-
      Dower money 4 lac taka, registration fee= 5,000/-
      Dower money 5 lac taka, registration fee= 5,100/-
  • Document Name:
    • For Muslims: Nikah/Kabin Nama
    • For Hindu/Buddhist/ Christians: Marriage Certificate
  • Issuing Authority:
    • For Muslims: Kazi office or Muslim Marriage Register officer
    • For Hindu/Buddhist/ Christians: Certificate from City Corporation or Pourosobha Chairman or Certificate from a Priest of Church/Temple
  • Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:
    • The Nikah Nama is usually printed in blue color paper that includes information concerning the identity of the concerned parties as well as the identity of the person registering the marriage.
    • Marriage registration with the City Corporation: A marriage certificate issued by a City Corporation registrar office prepared on a standard, government-printed form.
    • Certification from a Priest of Church/Temple: A marriage certificate issued by the priest who solemnized the marriage or the administration of the Church/Temple where the marriage was solemnized. The format for these documents may vary.
    • The above documents must contain information regarding the wedding ceremony and the information concerning the identity of the person registering the marriage.
  • Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Nikah Register for Muslim marriage and Priest for Hindu/Buddhist/ Christian’s marriage.
  • Registration Criteria:
    • For Muslim marriages the applicants/parties should contact the Kazi office or the registrar who solemnized the marriage and register the marriage at once in marriage register book and give them a receipt of the marriage certificate/ Nikah Nama (Bengali and English version) to the parties for collecting the same. Where a marriage is solemnized by a person other than the Nikah registrar, the bridegroom of the marriage shall report it to the concerned Nikah Registrar within 30 days from the date of such solemnization, a person who contravenes this procedure shall be punished with a simple imprisonment which may extend to 2 years or with fine of 3000 taka, or with both under Muslim Marriages And Divorces (Registration) Act-1974.
  • Procedure for Obtaining:  
    • Collection of Nikah Nama:
      • Parties of the marriage can get Nikah Nama showing the marriage registration receipt after 1 week from the marriage. In case of an emergency Nikah Nama can be collected within a day.
    • Of different religion:
      • If the parties of marriage are from different religion then the "Special Marriage Act-III of 1872" is applicable for them. In that case, they have to contact different marriage registrar like Kazi. Here, Marriage Certificate is the principle and core document like other marriages. Hence, the concerned parties must observe their religion rituals and registration to solemnize a valid marriage.
    • In the absence of specific Bangladeshi governmental instructions regarding Hindu/Buddhist/Christian marriage registrations, the applicant should contact Marriage registration with the City Corporation, priest who solemnized the marriage or the administration of the Church/Temple where the marriage was solemnized. 
  • Certified Copies Available: Yes
  • Alternate Documents: N/A
  • Exceptions: N/A
  • Comments:
    • For Muslims, the Nikah Nama (Bengali and English version) must be submitted to the Consular Section. If Nikah Nama in just in Bengali is submitted, applicant must submit Marriage Certificate from Kazi registrar in English.
    • "Court Marriage" is a simple declaration before the 'Notary Public' through 'Affidavit' which requires stamp paper and signature of both parties. According to Bangladeshi Civil Law, all marriages in Bangladesh require appropriate Marriage Registrar. After registering the marriage the couple has to obtain marriage certificate. Marriage Certificate is the principle and core document of marriage. Keep in mind that the document and processes known as "Court Marriage" is the supplementary and additional document which has no value without marriage certificate.
    • Mere Affidavits of marriage from applicants, relatives or family members is not accepted as to render the validity of a marriage in the eye of the law.
    • Notary public authenticated documents have little worth to prove a legal claim. It basically ensures originality of a document or certifies a formal declaration. 


Available. In the case of divorce in Muslim marriages, all divorces should be registered with the local Kazi office. Applicants must obtain the Talak Nama (Bengali and English version) from the Kazi office where the divorce was registered. In the case of Christian marriages, The Divorce Act of 1869 confers matrimonial jurisdiction on certain courts and permits divorce of Christians on specified grounds. Applications for divorce in these cases can be made to the High Court. For other religions in Bangladesh, there is no standard civil or religious authority for registering a divorce.


Adoption Certificates

Not available. Adoption has not been permitted in Bangladesh since approximately 1981. Certificates of abandonment are no longer issued.

Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. In order to obtain a police certificate from Bangladesh, a fee of Taka 500 (for each police certificate) payable to Bangladesh Bank or Sonali Bank is required by the Government of Bangladesh. Applicants should contact their local police station with a copy of the fee receipt (TR form No. 6), their passports and an application requesting the Officer-In-Charge to issue a police certificate. The police certificate should be reviewed, cleared and signed by the Deputy Police Commissioner and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Government of Bangladesh. The foregoing procedures may be changed at any time by the Government of Bangladesh. For additional instructions applicants should contact the local police station.

For Bangladeshis living outside of Bangladesh, you can obtain guidance concerning police records from the nearest Bangladesh Consulate or contact the U.S. Embassy in Dhaka for further information.

ARREST RECORD: If any applicant has prior arrest record(s), he or she should submit police certificate(s) showing a record of all arrests, the reason for the arrest(s), and the disposition of each case. The documentation must cite the section of law covering the offense.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available only on request from the Embassy at Dhaka to the Inspector General of Prisons in the district where the prison is located. Contact Embassy Dhaka for additional information.

Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Dhaka, Bangladesh (Embassy)

Diplomatic Enclave
Madani Avenue
Baridhara, Dhaka

Tel: (880) (2) 885-5500 through 885-5522

Fax: (880) (2) 882-3744


Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Bangladesh.

The workweek is Sunday through Thursday.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 244-0183 (202) 244-2771

Los Angeles, CA (323) 932-0100 (323) 932-9703

New York, NY (212) 599-6767 (212) 682-9211

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Dhaka
Madani Avenue,
Baridhara, Dhaka, 1212
+(88) (2) 5566-2000
+(88) (2) 5566-2000, press "0" and ask for the duty officer
+(88) (2)5566-2907
Bangladesh Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.