Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Algeria Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Algeria – Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Exercise increased caution when traveling in Algeria due to terrorism. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

Do not travel to:

  • Areas near the eastern and southern borders due to terrorism.
  • Areas in the Sahara Desert due to terrorism.

Terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Algeria. Terrorists may attack with little or no warning and have recently targeted the Algerian security forces. Most attacks take place in rural areas, but attacks are possible in urban areas despite a heavy and active police presence.

The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens outside Algiers province due to Algerian government restrictions on travel by U.S. government employees.

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page

If you decide to travel to Algeria:

  • Inform local police when visiting locations outside of major cities.
  • Travel by air if possible; remain on major highways if you must travel by road.
  • Travel with reputable travel agents who know the area.
  • Avoid staying overnight outside of the main cities and tourist locations.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Review the Crime and Safety Report for Algeria.
  • U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.

Eastern and southern borders

Avoid travel to rural areas within 50 km (31 miles) of the border with Tunisia and within 250 km (155 miles) of the borders with Libya, Niger, Mali, and Mauritania due to terrorist and criminal activities.

Visit our website for High-Risk Travelers.

Overland travel to the Sahara Desert

Terrorists and criminal groups operate in parts of the Sahara Desert. When travelling to the Sahara, we highly recommend traveling only by air and not overland.  

Visit our website for High-Risk Travelers.

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

People's Democratic Republic of Algeria
Quick Facts

Minimum of six months remaining on entry


One page required for entry stamp


Yes, unless entering via cruise ship


None required


Travelers must declare at Customs if they are traveling with more than 3000 Algerian dinar or foreign currency that exceeds 1000 euros (or equivalent)


Algerian dinars cannot be taken out of the country

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Algiers

5 Chemin Cheikh Bachir Ibrahimi,
16030 Algiers
Telephone: +(213) 770-08-2000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(213) 770-08-2200
Fax: 0770-08-2064

Destination Description

See our Fact Sheet on Algeria for information on U.S–Algerian relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

See the Embassy of the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria website for visa information.

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport valid for at least six months
  • Visa

Passengers arriving via a cruise ship and who will be part of an organized shore excursion do not require a visa in advance. All other travelers must obtain a visa from an Algerian embassy or consulate in advance of travel. If you have Israeli entry stamps in your passport, you may experience difficulties.

When your passport is stamped upon entry, check how long you can stay. You may be able to request an extension of stay from the Ministry of Interior (Office of Foreigners). However, if you overstay, you may need to appear before a judge prior to departing Algeria. If you are in this situation, see your local police station.

If you are a U.S. citizen seeking residency in Algeria, see our page on Residency in Algeria.

Dual Nationality: The Algerian government treats dual-national Algerian-Americans who enter Algeria on an Algerian passport solely as Algerian citizens. U.S. citizen women married to Algerians do not require the husband’s authorization to depart. Dual-national minor children exiting Algeria on an Algerian passport with just one parent, will need to provide the Algerian family book (livret de famille) in order to demonstrate the relationship between the child and the accompanying parent.

HIV restrictions: We are unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors or foreign residents of Algeria.

See the U.S. Embassy website for information on Algerian Customs import/export restrictions.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction, and customs information on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorist Activity: While Algeria has long been an important counterterrorism partner to the United States and has continued its aggressive campaign to eliminate all terrorist activity, active terrorist threats remain within Algeria and along its borders, in particular from the groups Al-Qa’ida in the Islamic Maghreb, the Movement for Unity and Jihad in West Africa, al-Murabitoun, and Jund al-Khilafah in Algeria, which has sworn allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and ash-Sham (ISIS).

Terrorist attacks usually target Algerian government interests and security forces outside of major cities and mainly in mountainous and remote areas, although two recent attacks (October 2016 and February 2017) injured and killed police in the city of Constantine.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against travel to remote areas in southern and eastern Algeria, as well as isolated parts of the Kabylie region, due to a high threat of terrorist attacks and kidnapping. As noted in our Travel Advisories for Algeria, U.S. citizens should:

  • avoid travel within 50 km (31 miles) of the eastern border and within 450 km (280 miles) of the southern border.
  • avoid overland travel across the Sahara.  Travel to Saharan cities only by air.
  • remain on principal highways when traveling to coastal/mountainous areas east of Algiers and the mountains immediately south of Algiers.
  • always travel with reputable Algerian travel agents who know the area.
  • avoid staying overnight outside of the main cities and tourist locations.
  • inform local police when staying in locations outside of major cities.

In general, U.S. citizens in Algeria should keep a low-profile and avoid predictable travel patterns. See our Travel Advisories for Algeria for more information.  

Civil Disturbances: Civil disturbances sometimes occur throughout the country. These disturbances are overwhelmingly based on longstanding socio-economic grievances, including over housing and public sector salaries. Protesters have ignited fireworks, thrown Molotov cocktails, damaged property, looted businesses, and robbed passersby. At times police used tear gas and other means to disperse crowds. 

Crime: The crime rate in Algeria is moderate. Algeria has a very visible police presence throughout the country, as well as many plain-clothes police officers. Petty theft and home burglary occur frequently in low income areas, and occasionally in affluent neighborhoods. Theft of contents and parts from parked cars, pick-pocketing, theft on trains and buses, theft of items left in hotel rooms, and purse snatching are common. Only stay in hotels where adequate security is provided.

The abduction of children has been on the rise in Algeria. The Algerian Association for Defense of the Rights of Children (NADA) recorded eight victims and 220 attempts of kidnapping nationwide within the first six months of 2016. Algerian law enforcement has implemented a security plan to cope with this phenomenon by deploying plain-clothes policemen at schools and in the neighborhoods where disappearances are more common and a toll-free number “104” has been implemented.

The U.S. Embassy has seen several cases in which American citizen women who meet an Algerian man on-line are lured to Algeria for marriage and are then held against their will in abusive situations.  See our information on Internet Dating and Marriage Fraud. See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy at (213)770-08-2000. 

To reach Algerian emergency services in Algeria, see our Emergency Phone Numbers page.

Reliability and response time of emergency services varies, but is not to U.S. standards. Emergency operators may or may not speak French; they normally do not speak English. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Always carry your passport, or a copy of it, with you, or you may be taken in for questioning.

Photographing military installations and government buildings (often marked by an Algerian flag over the entrance) is prohibited.  

Items that are legal to bring into and carry in the United States may not be legal in Algeria.  See the U.S. Embassy website for information on Algerian Customs import/export restrictions.

Driving under the influence could land you immediately in jail.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: Islam is the state religion of Algeria. The Algerian government allows non-Muslim religious worship only in structures exclusively intended and approved for that purpose. Activities such as proselytizing and encouraging conversion to a faith other than Islam are prohibited. Penalties may include fines and imprisonment. See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: Consensual same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Algeria. Penalties include fines and terms of imprisonment of up to three years. Although the U.S. Embassy is not aware of any recent arrests or prosecutions for such activities, they remain illegal. Existing laws on associations may be used to refuse full legal standing to LGBT associations. LGBT persons face societal discrimination.

Some LGBTI individuals receive violent threats and feel compelled to flee the country. Harassment and violence against LGBTI persons is generally tolerated, and there have been several instances of violence and harassment towards LGBTI persons posted on public social media sites in the last year. While some LGBTI persons live openly, the vast majority do not, and most fear reprisal from their families or harassment from authorities.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: 
Physical accessibility and accommodations tend to be lacking, as compared to the United States.  The condition of sidewalks and streets is often poor, and there are almost no curb cuts or other modifications made for wheelchairs.  Street curbs in Algeria may stand much higher than those in the U.S., and a person in a wheelchair would require significant assistance in negotiating curbs. 

Hotels, restaurants, and most government buildings are not accessible to persons with physical disabilities.  Restrooms and elevators rarely can accommodate wheelchairs.  Very few vehicles, notably buses and taxis, are accessible for persons with physical disabilities.

Students:  See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers:  Women walking along the streets in Algeria may experience sexual harassment from passing motorists and pedestrians.  See our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Travel within Algeria:  All employees of foreign companies or organizations based in Algeria who are not Algerian citizens must contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before engaging in any travel within the interior of the country.  The Ministry will notify local police of the planned travel and the police may choose to assign escorts for that travel.

Marriage in Algeria: See our Marriage in Algeria webpage for documents that must be obtained before leaving the United States. 

Disaster Preparedness: Algeria is a seismically active country, with earthquakes regularly occurring throughout the country.  Make contingency plans for your travel in Algeria and leave emergency contact information with family members outside of Algeria.  General information about natural disaster preparedness is available from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and at Ready.gov.  For more information on disaster preparedness, please see the following links:

Currency:  Travelers must declare upon entry or departure at Customs if they are traveling with more than 3000 Algerian dinar or foreign currency that exceeds 1000 euros (or the equivalent).

The official exchange rate may vary considerably from the actual exchange rate on the street.  It is illegal to change money on the black market, and you should only exchange foreign currency at banks or authorized currency exchange locations, such as major hotels. 

Upon leaving Algeria, authorities may ask if you have any currency and possibly search you.  Penalties can be severe if you failed to declare foreign currency in excess of the above amount upon entering Algeria, but are found to possess it when exiting the country.  They will compare the amount of foreign currency you declared when entering and the amount you are taking out, and you will need to show documentation that your currency was exchanged legally. 


While hospitals and clinics are available, they are not up to U.S. or European standards.  The quality of hospitals and clinics are improving in large urban centers.  Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for services.  Most medical practitioners speak French; English is not widely used.

Emergency services are satisfactory, but response time is often unpredictable.  In all cases, response time is not as fast as in the United States.

Prescription Medications:  While it is usually easy to obtain over-the-counter products, prescription medicines are not always readily available.  See our information on local names for common over-the-counter medications

The Algerian government restricts the importation of certain pharmaceuticals for commercial resale. In addition, medicines may be sold under different brand names with different dosages from those sold in the United States.  Some newer medications may not yet be available in Algeria.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Algeria to ensure the medication is legal in Algeria.  Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance:  Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further Health Information:

Cases of tuberculosis are regularly reported, but do not reach endemic levels. For further information on tuberculosis, please consult the CDC’s information on TB. Every summer, public health authorities report limited occurrences of water-borne diseases, such as typhoid. HIV/AIDS is a concern in Algeria. There have been a few recent reported cases of H1N1. The flu vaccine is available in Algeria. More information is available via the U.S. Department of State’s H5N1 and Pandemic Fact Sheet.

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  According to local media, Algeria has the fourth highest vehicular accident rate in the world. Problems include poorly maintained roads, a lack of roadway signage, insufficient vehicle maintenance, defective, pirated auto parts, driver fatigue, and reckless and unskilled drivers.  Lack of enforcement continues to be a major problem.  While emergency response resources are adequate in Algiers and other populated cities, this is not the case in rural areas.

Travel overland, particularly in the southern regions, may require a permit issued by the Algerian government.

Algeria recognizes International Driving Permits. U.S. citizens who wish to drive in Algeria should obtain an International Driver’s Permit in advance.  See the Department’s Driving Abroad page for more information on driving permits. For information on obtaining an Algerian driver’s license, see the Algerian Ministry of Interior’s page for driving licenses.

Drivers will encounter police and military checkpoints on major roads within/around Algiers and other major cities.  Police will require you to turn off your headlights when approaching a checkpoint at night.

Rather than traffic lights, police control most major traffic intersections in Algiers.

Public Transportation:  Trains operate between cities in the coastal regions of Algeria (although not inter-country) and are generally safe and reliable. There is a new urban railway in Algiers that runs along the coast and is clean and well-policed. Due to concerns about crime and mechanical safety, citizens should consider carefully the risks of buses, as well as taxis hailed on the street. There are new radio-dispatch taxis within Algiers.  

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of the Algerian Embassy in Washington, DC. for information concerning Algerian driver’s permits, vehicle inspection, road tax, and mandatory insurance. 

Aviation Safety Oversight:  As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Algeria, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Algeria’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards.  Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel:  Mariners planning travel to Algeria should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Security Communications with Industry WebPortal. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Algiers

5 Chemin Cheikh Bachir Ibrahimi,
16030 Algiers
Telephone: +(213) 770-08-2000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(213) 770-08-2200
Fax: 0770-08-2064

General Information

For information concerning travel to Algeria, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Algeria. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Algeria is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Algeria and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Algeria and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.  

The Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children's Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children's Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children's Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, Floor 9
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-736-9132
Website:  childabduction.state.gov
Email: AskCI@state.gov

Parental child abduction is a crime in Algeria.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Algeria and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Algeria for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Algeria are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Algiers, Algeria posts a list of attorneys,including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Department of State is not aware of any government agencies or non-governmental organizations that offer mediation services in international parental child abduction cases in Algeria.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Algeria is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention).  Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention or “orphan” cases.  The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider acts as a primary provider in every case, and that adoption service providers providing adoption services on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider.  Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012webpage for further information.  Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600.  However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the USCIS website on the impact on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications under the UAA, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Algerian family law is based on an interpretation of Islamic Shari'a law. Algerian courts appoint a legal guardian ("Kafil" - see Algerian statute No. 84/11, articles 116 through 125) for a child. Such legal guardianship (called a "kafala") is treated as the functional equivalent of adoption. If a child has a known parent, the guardian can only be selected from blood relatives of the child (i.e., the child's next of kin). Obviously, if a child's parents are unknown, that does not apply. The prospective adoptive parent can request that the child's name be changed when the biological father of the child is unknown. However, if the identity of the child's biological mother is known and the biological mother is living, a formal consent deed for the name change must be executed by the biological mother. The executed consent deed is then attached to the name change request file, and decided upon by the president of the relevant Algerian court at the referral of the prosecutor. Algeria is the only Muslim country which will authorize a name change for an orphan. Any prospective adoptive parent of an Algerian child should start the application for a kafala at the Algerian Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to being found suitable and eligible to adopt by USCIS, prospective adoptive parents seeking to adopt from Algeria must meet the following requirements:

  • Residency:  An adoptive parent must be an Algerian citizen, and can be living either in Algeria or overseas. If the adoptive parent is living overseas, s/he must attach to the application form (i) a social investigation duly completed and signed by the Algerian consulate authorities in the country where that adoptive parent lives and (ii) a copy of the registration card given to Algerian citizens when they register with the Algerian consulate abroad.
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  Men should not be over the age of 60, and women should not be over the age of 55. However, these criteria may be changed at the discretion of the commission reviewing the application file.
  • Marriage:  The same rules apply to single, divorced or widowed individuals.
  • Income:  A prospective adoptive parent must be able to prove sufficient income to support the child and provide decent accommodation. The prospective adoptive parent must have financial resources of at least the equivalent of 15,000 Algerian dinar per month. If the prospective adoptive parent is living overseas, the Algerian consulate may require a higher minimum income commensurate with income levels in that country.
  • Other:  The prospective legal guardian must be of the Muslim faith and Algerian nationality, and supply medical certificates showing s/he is in good physical and mental health. In addition, s/he has to be a person of integrity, capable of protecting and entertaining the child, and capable of providing decent and salubrious accommodation for the child.
Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must meet the following requirements of Algeria:

  • Relinquishment:  A definitive agreement for the child's affiliation is given after the signature of the minute of abandonment by the mother.
  • Abandonment:  The child's parents are unknown.
  • Age of Adoptive Child:  Under nineteen (19) years old. Please note that for a child to meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, must be filed on the child’s behalf while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child is the birth sibling of another adopted child who has immigrated or will immigrate based on adoption by the same adoptive parent(s)).
  • Sibling Adoptions:  None.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions:  None.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care:  Three months after the signing of the minute of abandonment by the biological mother and after the psychological interview of the prospective parents by the investigation team in the country of residence of the prospective adoptive parent.

Caution:  Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are eligible for adoption.  In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible.  In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

How to Adopt

Adopting a child from Algeria generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt (Form I-600A)
  3. Apply to Algeria’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Algeria [or Obtain Legal Custody of the Child for Purposes of Emigration and Adoption]
  5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan (Form I-600)
  6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

1.  Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

There are no adoption agencies operating in Algeria. Before taking steps to adopt a child from Algeria, you should select a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case.  As of July 14, 2014, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA, unless an exception applies.  The primary provider is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided;
  • Supervising and being responsible for supervised providers where used (see 22 CFR 96.14); and
  • Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012

2.  Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Algeria, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Algeria and U.S. immigration law. 

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also choose to file a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, with USCIS to be found suitable and eligible to adopt before you identify a child to adopt.  You may also choose to file the Form I-600 petition along with all the required Form I-600A application supporting documentation, including an approved home study, once you have been matched with a child and have obtained all the necessary documentation.  Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options.  Regardless of which approach you take, the home study must meet the same requirements.  As of July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, the home study must comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311 and 22 CFR Part 96.47.

3.  Apply to Algeria’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child

If you are found suitable and eligible to adopt under U.S. law, you must also submit an adoption application to the Commission of the Ministry of National Solidarity in Algeria to be found eligible to adopt by Algeria. 

If a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, the Commission of the Ministry of National Solidarity entity in Algeria will review your adoption dossier and, if an appropriate match is found, will provide you with a referral.  We encourage families to consult with a medical professional and their adoption service provider to understand the needs of the specific child but each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of, and provide a permanent home for, a specific child, and must conform to the recommendations in the home study for the number of children and capacity to deal with any special needs of an adoptive child.  Learn more about Health Considerations.

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Algeria’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section.  The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4.  Adopt the Child in Algeria, or Obtain Legal Custody of the Child for Purposes of Emigration and Adoption

The process for finalizing the adoption, or obtaining legal custody for purposes of emigration and adoption in Algeria generally includes the following:

  • Role of the Algerian Embassy:  First, a prospective adoptive parent must submit a request for kafala to the Algerian Embassy in Washington, D.C. Once the Algerian Embassy receives this request and accompanying information, its social services division will begin an investigation of the prospective parents. If the social services division provides a positive recommendation for adoption, the Algerian Embassy will forward the file to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Algeria, which will in turn forward the file to the Ministry of National Solidarity. The Commission of the Ministry of National Solidarity will ultimately make the decision of whether or not to grant kafala. The Commission of the Ministry of National Solidarity only meets every three months.
  • Role of the Court:  Issues the name change document, if any.
  • Role of Adoption Agencies:  Starting July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, there must be a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider acting as the primary provider in every case. Also, any agency or person providing an adoption service on behalf of prospective adoptive parents in any Convention or non-Convention case must be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service means any one of the following  six services:
    • Identifying a child for adoption and arranging an adoption;
    • Securing the necessary consent to termination of parental rights and to adoption;
    • Performing a background study on a child or a home study on a prospective adoptive parent(s), and reporting on such a study;
    • Making non-judicial determinations of the best interests of a child and the appropriateness of an adoptive placement for the child;
    • Monitoring a case after a child has been placed with prospective adoptive parent(s) until final adoption; or
    • When necessary because of a disruption before final adoption, assuming custody and providing (including facilitating the provision of) child care or any other social service pending an alternative placement.  22 CFR 96.2 Definitions.

  • Adoption Application:  This consists of the request for kafala described above.
  • Time Frame:  The U.S Embassy cannot predict how long the process will take. The process of obtaining kafala is generally a long one.
  • Adoption Fees:  There are no fees for the process of obtaining kafala. The orphanages in Algiers (the "pouponnieres") do not require any payment.

Prospective adoptive parents are advised to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either by themselves directly or through their U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to U.S. law, or the law of Algeria, with your adoption service provider.  Please also refer to information concerning the Hague Complaint Registry. Improper payments may have the appearance of buying a child, violate applicable law, and could put all future adoptions in Algeria at risk. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, for instance, makes it unlawful to bribe foreign government officials to obtain or retain business. Further, the UAA and IAA make it unlawful to improperly influence relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing Central Authority functions.

  • Documents Required:  When submitting a request for legal custody to the Algerian Embassy, the prospective parent should include: (1) a written request for kafala, including his or her reasons for desiring the kafala; (2) a birth certificate for each of the prospective adoptive parents; (3) the family form ('fiche familiale') for married prospective adoptive parents, (4) medical certificates; (5) a criminal records delivered by authorities of the country of residence; (6) work certificates; (7) pay stubs for the last three months, (8) a copy of the consular registration card(s); (9) citizenship certificate of the prospective adoptive parents, (10) recent photo ID of the prospective parents and (11) proof of title or the residential lease agreement for their home. All documents should be translated into French, and dollar amounts should be converted into Euros. 

Note:  Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents:  You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. The U.S Department of State’s Authentications Office has information on the subject.

5.  Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States as an Orphan

After you finalize the adoption/kafala, or gain legal custody for purposes of emigration and adoption in Algeria, USCIS must determine whether the child meets the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order for the child to immigrate to the United States.  You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.  At the time you file your Form I-600 petition, the adjudicating officer will determine whether the UAA applies or if your case is UAA grandfathered. For more information on UAA grandfathering and transition cases, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012.  Unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider in your case and the adjudicating officer may ask for the name and contact information of the primary provider if not provided in your Form I-600 petition. This information is required and, without it, your Form I-600 petition cannot be approved. 

If you have an approved, valid Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, you may file your Form I-600 petition either in the United States with USCIS or in person at the U.S.Embassy in Algiers, Algeria.

When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by USCIS in the United States, the consular section in Algiers, Algeria must complete a Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as an orphan determination), to verify the child’s orphan status.  When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by an international USCIS office, USCIS generally completes the Form I-604 determination.

For Form I-600 petitions filed with the Embassy’s consular section, the consular officer must complete the Form I-604 determination after you file your Form I-600 petition. Conducting the Form I-604 determination is a critical part of the orphan adoption process. It can take weeks to complete, depending upon the circumstances of your case. Consular officers appreciate that families are eager to bring their adopted child home as quickly as possible.  Some of the factors that may contribute to the length of the process include prevailing fraud patterns in the country of origin, civil unrest or security concerns that restrict travel to certain areas of the country, and the number of determinations performed by available staff.  Consular officers make every effort to conduct them as quickly and thoroughly as possible.  You are advised to keep your travel plans flexible while awaiting the results.

6.  Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete, or you have obtained legal custody of the child for the purposes of emigration and adoption of the child in the United States, and the Form I-604 determination has been completed finding that your child meets the legal definition of an orphan for immigration purposes, there are a few more steps to take before you and your child can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

  • Birth Certificate: The birth certificate is delivered by the relevant orphanage, which will have the birth certificate of each child placed under their care. After obtaining the kafala, the adoptive parent may ask for a new birth certificate at the city hall (mairie) of the child's birthplace as listed in the original birth certificate obtained from the orphanage.

    If you have been granted legal custody for the purposes of emigration and adoption of the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will, in most cases, not yet include your name.

  • Algeria Passport: Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Algeria.

    To obtain an Algerian passport for the child, the adoptive parent will have to supply on his or her behalf the following:
  1. Birth certificate;
  2. Citizenship certificate (for someone born in Algeria, the birth certificate IS the citizenship certificate);
  3. Residency certificate;
  4. 4 photos; and
  5. Tax stamp.

    The application for the passport is made through the passport office at "La Daria."
  • U.S. Immigrant Visa: After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. [Embassy/Consulate] in [City].  This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you and be admitted to the United States as your child. As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

    Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). If you filed a Form I-600 petition in the United States, you should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the petition and assignment of a case number and an invoice ID number.  You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child.  An adoptive parent should fill out these forms in your child's name.  Answer every item on the form.  If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block.  Print and bring the DS-260 form confirmation page to the visa interview.  Please review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact the NVC at NVCAdoptions@state.gov or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form.

    Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes 24 hours.  It is not usually possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the same day as the immigrant visa interview.  Adoptive parents should verify current processing times with the U.S. Embassy in Algiers before making final travel arrangements.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States:  An adopted child residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence generally will acquire U.S. citizenship automatically upon entry into the United States if the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including the child is under the age of eighteen.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States:  You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s entry into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child has acquired U.S. citizenship, s/he will need a U.S. passport for any international travel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy.  The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Algeria

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa.  Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Algeria, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country.  The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country in the world about various issues, including health conditions, crime, currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State through our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country.  Enrollment makes it possible for the U.S. Embassy in Algeria to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services. Your primary provider can provide or point you to post- placement/post-adoption services to help your adopted child and your family transition smoothly and deal effectively with the many adjustments required in an intercountry adoption.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note:  Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.


If you have concerns about your adoption process, we ask that you share this information with the Embassy in Algiers, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child’s case. The Department of State takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously.  Our Adoption Comment Page provides several points of contact for adoptive families to comment on their adoption service provider, their experience applying for their child’s visa, or about the Form I-600 petition process.

The Hague Complaint Registry is an internet based registry for filing complaints about U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers.  If you think your provider's conduct may have been out of substantial compliance with accreditation standards, first submit your complaint in writing directly to your provider. If the complaint is not resolved through the provider's complaint process, you may file the complaint through the Hague Complaint Registry.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Algeria
Address: 5 Chemin Cheikh Bachir El-Ibrahimi, 16000, Alger, Algerie
Tel: +213 021 98 20 00
Fax: +213 021 60 73 35
Email: ACSAlgiers@state.gov
Internet: https://dz.usembassy.gov/embassy/algiers/

Algeria’s Adoption Authority

Ministry of National Solidarity
Address: Route Nationale No. 1 les vergers BP No. 31 Bir khadem, Alger, Algerie
Tel.: +213 021 44 99 46
+213 021 44 99 47
Fax: +213 021 44 97 26

Embassy of Algeria
Address: 2118 Kalorama Road, NW, Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 265-2800
Fax: (202) 667-2174
Email: mail@algeria-us.org
Internet: http://www.algeria-us.org/

Consulate General of Algeria in New York
15 E 47th St, New York, NY 10017
Tel: (212) 486-6930
Fax: (212) 486-6934
Email: info@algeria-cgny.org
Internet: http://algeria-cgny.org/

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Email:  Adoption@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures: USCIS National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-600A application or I-600 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email:  NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-2 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None Multiple 24 Months
C-3 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 24 Months
F-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-1 None Multiple 24 Months
G-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-3 None Multiple 24 Months
G-4 None Multiple 24 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
I None Multiple 3 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 36 Months
L-2 None Multiple 36 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 36 Months
R-2 None Multiple 36 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

All government documents can be  issued in Arabic, but many, such as birth and marriage records, can also be issued in French.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Birth certificates may be obtained from the city hall (Baladia) of the applicant's place of birth. This document is called variously "Extrait des Registres des Actes de Naissance"; "Extrait des Registres de l'Etat Civil (Acte de Naissance)". The more secure and more detailed version of this certificate is known as the Form S-12, although the older version (Form 12) continues to be issued as well. In the case of a person whose birth was not recorded, one of the following documents may be issued by the appropriate local authority in lieu of a regular birth certificate: "Extrait du Registre d'Inscription des Omis a l'Etat Civil"; "Extrait du Registre Matrice (Valant Acte de Naissance)"; "Fiche Individuelle de Naissance"; or "Acte de Notoriete" executed by an official of the court house (Palais de Justice) at the place of residence of the applicant.


Available. A death certificate (Acte de Deces) may be obtained from the city hall (Baladia) where the death occurred.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. A marriage certificate (Extrait d'Acte de Mariage) may be obtained from the city hall (Baladia) where the marriage took place. Applicants who have not been married previously who are planning to get married in Algeria (or applying for a U.S. fiancé visa) should obtain a certificat de non-marriage.

Same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in Algeria.


Available. A divorce certificate (Extrait de Divorce) may be obtained from the city hall (Baladia) where the marriage took place. A copy of the divorce (Jugement de Divorce) may be obtained from the "Greffe du Tribunal Civil" where the decree was pronounced.

Adoption Certificates

Unavailable. Adoption is by kafala, which grants custody of a child.

Identity Card

The Carte d’Identité is a green-colored card that includes a photo and biographic data, and is issued by the Daira (equivalent of county hall).  In 2016, this card will be replaced with a more secure card that will be issued by the baladia (city hall).

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates



Fees: No fee

Document Name:  Kachef al-ahkam assabiqat wa al-hala al-madania (bitaqa raqem 3) or Casier Judiciaire (bulletin numéro 3)

Issuing Authority:  Ministry of Justice

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Seals and signatures of the local public prosecutor and the local court clerk

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Public Prosecutor and Court Clerk

Registration Criteria:  Obtainable by Algerian citizens and foreign nationals who were born in, currently reside in, or previously resided in Algeria.

Procedure for Obtaining:  For Algerian citizens and foreign nationals resident in Algeria, a police record can be obtained at a district court or court administrative office (greffe du tribunal).  Foreign nationals applying in Algeria will be expected to bring their foreign birth certificate with an Arabic translation, and either their residency permit or, for non-permanent residents, their visa and a justification for the police record.  For Algerian citizens and foreign nationals resident outside of Algeria, a police record can be obtained through the Algerian embassy or consulate in the person’s country of residence.  While requirements may vary depending on the embassy or consulate, generally a person will be expected to bring a completed application form, as well as an Algerian identity card and long-form birth certificate (if Algerian) or a foreign birth certificate with Arabic translation and any documents that justify previous residency in Algeria.  For foreign nationals resident in Algeria prior to 1962, a police record can be obtained from the French Ministry of Justice (Ministère de la Justice, Service du Casier Judiciaire, 7 Allee de Brancas 44 Nantes, France). 

Certified Copies Available:

Alternate Documents:



Military Records

Available. A military record The carte militaire (previously Livret Militaire) can be obtained by writing to the recruiting office (Bureau de Recrutement) in the place where the individual was called to report for military service. For persons who served in the French Armed Forces prior to 1962, military records can be obtained by writing to: M. le Commandant, Bureau Special de Recrutement, Chartres 28000, France.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

As of November 2015, all non-biometric passports have expired and the new passport with security features is standardized.  It is issued by either the daira (country hall) or the baladia (city hall).

Other Records

All married Algerians possess a family book (livret de famille) that lists the spouse and children.  If someone’s family member dies, that information is updated in the family book.  Adults do not receive a family book until they get married.

Visa Issuing Posts

Algiers, Algeria (Embassy)

05 Chemin Cheikh Bachir El-Ibrahimi (formerly known as Chemin Beaurepaire)
B.P. 408 (Alger-Gare) 16000

Tel: +213 (21) 770-08-2000

Fax: 213 (21) 69-39-79

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Algeria.

Note: The U.S. Embassy workweek is Sunday through Thursday.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 265-2800 (202) 986-5906

New York, NY (212) 486-6930 (212) 486-6931 (212) 486-6932 (212) 486-6934

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Algiers
5 Chemin Cheikh Bachir
16030 Algiers
+(213) 770-08-2000
+(213) 770-08-2200
Algeria Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.