How a Passport Can Help you Fly Domestically

We want you to know about the upcoming changes to domestic air travel as part of the Real ID Act!

The Real ID Act requires all state-issued identification documents (IDs) to meet a set of minimum security standards. IDs that do not meet these minimum security standards won’t be accepted for federal purposes, including as ID for boarding domestic flights. Your state’s IDs might not meet these minimum security standards. Check your state’s status.

You should also check with your state about how to get a REAL ID-compliant identification card, like an enhanced driver’s license, if they offer one.

The U.S. passport book and U.S. passport card are both accepted as ID for domestic flights.

You may not have heard about the U.S. passport card before. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel, but it is still a great ID to have in your wallet.

  • The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) accepts the passport card as ID for domestic flights.
  • Use the passport card when entering the United States at land-border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. Do not use it for international air travel.
  • The passport card only costs $30 for adults if you already have a passport book, and only $65 for first-time adult applicants.    
  • The passport card has the same validity as the passport book: If you’re over 16, your passport card is valid for 10 years. If you’re under 16, your passport card is valid for 5 years.

How do I get a passport card?

It’s easy! You can apply for a passport card on the same form as a passport book. Just select “Both” when using our Form Filler tool to fill out Form DS-11 or Form DS-82. If you just want a passport card, select "Card." 

REAL ID Infographic
Download the REAL ID infographic for more information.