Based on recent discussions with the Latvian Central Authority, we understand the Latvian Cabinet of Ministers approved changes in the Adoption Regulations No.667 of October 30, 2018. The new post-adoption reporting provisions outlined below will apply only to those families who apply to adopt with the Ministry of Welfare (MOW) on and after January 1, 2021.
- Post-adoption monitoring continues until the child is 18;
- Post-adoption reports shall be submitted to both the Ministry of Welfare (MOW) and to the child’s orphan court;
- Post-adoption reports should be prepared as required by Annex 4 of these regulations (form for post-adoption reporting) and should include at least one photo of the child;
- Post-adoption reports are required twice each year for two years after adoption; starting from the third year after adoption only one annual post-adoption report is required;
- Adoption service providers should ensure that the child’s orphan court is able to contact the child via telephone or a video call until the child is 18;
- Adoption service providers should inform the MOW in three (3) business days when: the child is taken out of their adoptive family; the social services, judiciary, or law enforcement agencies are notified about the child; and when there is other essential information to establish that the child’s future stay with their international adoptive parents is affected.
Adoption Service Providers who currently have a valid authorization from the MOW need to submit a certification stating that they are able to comply with the amended post-adoption reporting requirements by January 31, 2021.
The amended regulations require that the MOW contact all families who adopted before December 31, 2020 (and the child is still below the age of 18) and ask the following:
- Has the child been removed from the adoptive family?
- Has the child appeared before social services, court or law enforcement authorities?
- Is there any other relevant information that may further affect the child's stay in the adoptive family?
If you have any questions about the new post adoption reporting requirements, adoption service providers and adoptive families should work directly with the Latvian Central Authority.