Adoptions from Benin after October 1, 2018

Last Updated: October 2, 2018

On October 1, 2018, the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-Operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Convention) entered into force in Benin. The United States has determined that it will be able to process intercountry adoptions consistent with the Convention, allowing consular officers to verify on a case-by-case basis that the intercountry adoption can proceed in accordance with U.S. laws and U.S. obligations under the Convention.  

Please note that all adoptions between Benin and the United States, other than transition cases, must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. laws. Do not finalize an adoption or obtain legal custody of a child in Benin in a case that is not a transition case, before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter.” See the “Hague Adoption Process ” section for more information.

The Department of State cautions U.S. prospective adoptive parents that there may be delays in the adoption process while Benin works to implement its new adoption laws, regulations, and procedures. Prospective adoptive parents initiating an intercountry adoption on or after October 1, 2018, should work closely with their U.S. accredited adoption service provider to ensure they complete all necessary steps under Benin’s intercountry adoption process in accordance with Beninese and U.S. laws.   

If you started the intercountry adoption process before October 1, 2018, by filing a Form I-600A or a Form I-600, or obtaining a final adoption for a child in Benin, please contact with the details of the case. Questions about the transition process, Form I-600A, Form I-600, and/or Form I-800A filings will be directed to USCIS.

We are in the process of updating our Country Information Sheet for Benin. Please continue to monitor for updated information as it becomes available. If you have any questions about this notice, please contact the Office of Children’s Issues at You may also reach us at 1-888-407-4747 within the United States, or 202-501-4444 from outside the United States.