CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Chad
Official Country Name: Republic of Chad
Country Code 2-Letters: TD
Country Code 3-Letters: TCD
Street: Chagoua Roundpoint B.P. 413 N'Djamena, Chad
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/37992.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy N’Djamena
Street Address: Chagoua Roundpoint
B.P. 413
N'Djamena, Chad
Phone: +235 22 51 50 17 (Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Emergency Phone: +235 63 51 78 00
Fax: 235 22 53 91 02
Email: NdjamenaACS@state.gov
Web: https://td.usembassy.gov/embassy/ndjamena/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

6 months

Blank Passport Pages:

2 pages

Tourist Visa Required:

Yes, obtain in advance


Yellow fever 

Currency Restrictions for Entry:

Declare amounts over 5 million CFA ($10,800)

Currency Restrictions for Exit: Maximum of 5 million CFA
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy N’Djamena
Chagoua Roundpoint
B.P. 413
N'Djamena, Chad
Telephone: +235 22 51 50 17 (Monday – Thursday, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.)
Emergency after-hours telephone: +235 63 51 78 00
Fax: +235 22 53 91 02
Email: NdjamenaACS@state.gov


Destination Description

See our Fact Sheet on Chad for information on U.S. - Chad relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport
  • Visa, which must be obtained before traveling
  • World Health Organization (WHO) card with yellow fever vaccination

Visit the Embassy of Chad website or the nearest Chadian embassy or consulate for visa information. Contact the National Police to extend your visa.

First time tourist or humanitarian/aid workers must:

  • Obtain a registration stamp through the National Police within 72 hours of arrival.
  • Bring two additional passport size photos for registration.
  • Re-register if you are issued a new passport.

Once registered, any subsequent visits using the same passport does not require a registration stamp.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors or foreign residents of Chad.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction, and customs information on our websites.

Safety and Security

See Travel Advisory for Chad warning of ongoing tensions and potential terrorist activities. 

Crime: 400,000 refugees and 150,000 displaced Chadians add to Chad’s volatile security environment. U.S. Embassy personnel are subject to restrictions when traveling in certain areas of N’Djamena and outside the capital, including Lake Chad Basin. Carjackings occurring day and night outside N’Djamena increased without targeting specific groups. 

Avoid following areas:

  • Lake Chad area sharing water border with Borno, Nigeria, a Boko Haram stronghold.
  • All points east, northeast, and southeast of Abeche.
  • The Presidential Palace Compound on Avenue Felix Eboue in N’Djamena (do not stop your vehicle in front of this compound). 

General Precautions:

  • Avoid concentrations of uniformed security; use extreme caution when visiting areas with military operations. 
  • Avoid demonstrations; use vigilance during your movements around the city. Peaceful events can become violent.
  • Maintain caution in areas frequented by foreigners.
  • Monitor local news and consular messages.

Areas of Concern: 

Lake Chad: A state of emergency continues in Lake Chad region. Chad remains vulnerable to attacks by Boko Haram. U.S. citizen missionaries in northern Nigeria, the Far North Region of Cameroon, and Niger have been targeted. 

Borders: Civil unrest in Central African Republic, Libya, Niger, Nigeria, and Sudan, occasionally result in cross-border clashes. A permit from the Chadian government is required for visiting the border zones near Libya and Sudan. Travelers may encounter increased border patrols and tightened border security. 

Zakouma National Park: Heed all instructions given by guides or trackers. Poachers have targeted rangers. 

See the Department of State and the FBI websites for information on scams. 

Victims of Crime: Legal response/recourse for victims of crime is extremely limited. The Embassy’s role in local legal matters is strictly limited. 

U.S. citizen victims of sexual violence should first contact the U.S. Embassy. Report crimes to the local police at 2020 throughout Chad (French/Arabic) and contact the U.S. Embassy at (235) 22 51 50 17. 

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care.
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police.
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent.
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms.
  • provide a list of local attorneys.
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution.
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home.
  • replace a stolen or lost passport. 

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance. 

For further information: 

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. You may be taken for questioning by police if unable to produce acceptable forms of identification. Convictions for possessing, using, and/or trafficking illegal drugs result in long prison sentences and heavy fines. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information. 

Photography: All photography requires a permit issued by Ministry of Public Security and Immigration. It is illegal to take pictures of military sites, official buildings, airports, and public monuments - not always clearly marked. 

Telecommunications and Satellite Phones: Thuraya satellite phones are illegal. Travelers using them risk seizure of phones and arrest. Iridium satellite phones are legal. Cellular phones are widely used. SIM cards can be purchased locally. Major providers: Tigo and Airtel. 

Military Service for Dual U.S. – Chadian citizens: Military service is obligatory. The conditions for fulfillment of this duty are determined by local authorities. 

Currency: The Central African CFA franc (XAF) is the official currency. ATMs are unreliable. Several Western Union and Money Gram offices operate in N’Djamena. 

Travel authorization (“autorisation de circuler”): Before traveling to humanitarian zones or refugee camps, NGO humanitarian workers must submit a request for travel authorization to the Ministry of Public Security and Immigration via the “Commission Nationale pour l’Accueil et la Reinsertion des Refugies et Rapatries” (CNARR). Allow 3-4 days for processing. 

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Strong social and cultural strictures against homosexuality exist, and no known LGBTI organizations operate in the country. The law does not define “unnatural acts,” which has been used against LGBTI persons in the past. 

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights Report for further details. 

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Access to transportation, lodging, and public buildings is limited. There are few sidewalks and no curb-cuts, and most buildings lack elevators. 

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips

Women Travelers: Women should be extremely cautious when traveling in Chad, particularly if traveling alone. Never walk or jog alone in secluded areas, particularly at night; never disclose to strangers your lodging location or travel plans. 

While the law prohibits marriage before age of 18, forced marriage remains a serious problem. The law also prohibits female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C), but the practice remains widespread. 

Although the law prohibits violence against women, domestic violence is widespread. Wives have limited legal recourse in cases of abuse. Cultural and social biases often lead to rape cases not being filed. 

See our travel tips for Women Travelers


Consult CDC’s website for Chad. 

Medical facilities are limited. In N’Djamena, International SOS offers limited U.S. standard medical/emergency care including evacuation. Membership required. Only Hopital de la Renaissance is recommended. Adequate care is contingent upon availability of personnel, medical equipment/supplies. 

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. 

We strongly recommend supplemental medical insurance to cover medical evacuation

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Chad, to ensure the medication is legal in Chad. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Breathing masks are recommended November-April when dust storms diminish air quality. 

Malaria is widespread. Use CDC-recommended insect repellents. Sleep under insecticide-impregnated mosquito nets. Chemoprophylaxis is recommended for all travelers. 

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: In N’Djamena, main roads are paved; others within the city are dirt and gravel roads that have large ruts and potholes. During the rainy season, mid-June to mid-September, many roads become impassable. Numerous traffic accidents occur on a daily basis. Excessive speed, erratic driving habits, and chronic lack of road signs make driving dangerous. Street lighting is limited, and it is difficult to see pedestrians, cyclists, wheelchairs, and animals, especially at night.

Other risks include:

  • poor vehicle maintenance
  • headlights that are not used
  • vehicles with only one operable head light that give the appearance of being a motorcycle at night, often with deadly consequences for on-coming traffic 

To mitigate the threat of roadside crime or becoming stuck in sand/mud when driving outside of N’Djamena, travel in daylight hours only. 


  • spare tires
  • food and water
  • satellite phone
  • maps and navigation equipment
  • extra fuel as it may be scarce in rural areas. 

Professional roadside assistance service is not available. 

Traffic Laws: An international driving permit is required. Use of cell phones while driving and/or driving a vehicle with tinted windows is illegal. 

Roadblocks: Security forces set up spontaneous roadblocks in and around N’Djamena, especially after dark, to conduct vehicle searches and check passengers for identity papers. They may also solicit bribes and require drivers to submit to pat-down body searches. 

  • Dim headlights as you slowly approach the check point.
  • Do not permit soldiers or police officers to enter your vehicle, and do not get into the vehicle of anyone purporting to be a security official.
  • Comply with the local authorities and remain courteous and calm, and, if threatened, do not resist.
  • Remain inside your vehicle with doors locked and open the window slightly to communicate.
  • Show documents through the window. Carry color photocopies of your passport and other identity documents to give to police.
  • Keep original documents in a secure location.
  • Report harassment to the U.S. Embassy. 

Accidents: Remain inside the vehicle and call for police. Although it is illegal to move your vehicle before police arrive, if a hostile mob forms or you feel your safety is in danger, leave the scene and proceed directly to the nearest police station to report the incident. 

Public Transportation: Public transportation is not recommended for tourists. Privately operated minibuses are often not properly maintained and dangerous. Taxis are are unsafe and should not be used. Hire private transport from reliable sources such as travel agencies and local hotels.

  • Do not accept rides that are not prearranged.

  • Confirm identity of the assigned driver.

  • Decline, politely but firmly, unofficial airport assistance with your luggage. 

See our Road Safety page for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Chad, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 652-1312

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: enter link here

General Information

enter link here

Hague Abduction Convention

enter text here


enter text here


enter text here

Retaining an Attorney

enter text here


enter text here

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible? Only adoptions from Chad to the United States are possible.
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Chad is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention (“orphan”) cases under section 101(b)(1)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider acts as a primary provider in every case, and that adoption service providers providing adoption services on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 webpage for further information. Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the USCIS website on the impact on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications under the UAA, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Chad is not considered a country of origin for intercountry adoption. While adoption is legally possible, children from Chad are not generally placed for intercountry adoption. No child from Chad has received a U.S. adoption immigrant visa relating to an intercountry adoption in the past five fiscal years. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in extremely rare adoption cases from Chad, including adoptions of Chad’s children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by U.S. citizens living in Chad.

U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Chad should contact the adoption authority of Chad to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Chad who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Chad’s adoption authority. See contact information below.

The Government of Chad does allow intercountry adoptions, however, prospective adoptive parents should be aware that the lack of clear legal procedures for adopting in Chad can, and often does, result in protracted, difficult, and expensive adoption proceedings. Presently two sorts of adoptions are available in Chad; adoption simple and adoption pleinière. The adoption simple appears to be a form of traditional adoption whereby parents who are not able to provide for their child(ren) allow them to live with locally-based adoptive parents who can provide for the child(ren). The adoption simple does not allow the adoptive parents to change the adoptive child’s legal name. An adoption pleinière appears to be a fuller and more finalized form of adoption in Chad. The adoption pleinière does permit adoptive parents to change their adoptive child’s legal name. Prospective adoptive parents should not consider an adoption simple as final or irrevocable for custody and immigration purposes. Chad’s Tribunal de la Première Instance appears to have final jurisdiction when determining adoption cases for immigration and custody purposes. All questions should be directed to the Secretary General of the Ministry of Justice at +

 Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are eligible for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Chad and the U.S. Embassy N’Djamena’s website for information on consular services.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Chad, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Chad
Avenue Felix Eboue
N'Djamena, Chad
Tel:  +(235) 2251-62-11, 2251-70-09, 2251-77-59, 2251-90-52, 2251-92-18 and 2251-92-33
Fax:  +(235) 2251-56-54
Email:  Ndjamena-consular@state.gov
Internet:  td.usembassy.gov

Chad’s Adoption Authority
Ministry of Justice
Tel: +

Embassy of Chad
2401 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20008
Tel:  (202) 652-1312
Email:  info@chadembassy.us
Internet:  chadembassy.us/

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Email:  Adoption@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 12 Months
A-2 None Multiple 12 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None One 3 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None One 3 Months
C-1 None One 3 Months
C-1/D None One 3 Months
C-2 None One 3 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None One 3 Months
CW-2 11 None One 3 Months
D None One 3 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None One 3 Months
F-2 None One 3 Months
G-1 None Multiple 12 Months
G-2 None Multiple 12 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None One 3 Months 3
H-1C None One 3 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None One 3 Months 3
H-3 None One 3 Months 3
H-4 None One 3 Months 3
I None One 3 Months
J-1 4 None One 3 Months
J-2 4 None One 3 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None One 3 Months
L-2 None One 3 Months
M-1 None One 3 Months
M-2 None One 3 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 3 Months 3
O-2 None One 3 Months 3
O-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-1 None One 3 Months 3
P-2 None One 3 Months 3
P-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-4 None One 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 3 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Unavailable. All records are presumed destroyed as result of civil strife that occurred in Chad between February and December 1980.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Enter text here.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records


Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

On February 1, 2002, Chad introduced newly formatted diplomatic and service passports, with enhanced anti-fraud features. The passports have a five-year validity period.

A. The diplomatic passport cover is now dark burgundy instead of bright red; the service passport retains its camel-colored cover.

B. The blue, yellow and red Chadian flag that appeared in the upper left-hand corner of previously issued passport cover has been eliminated entirely.

C. An intaglio U-shaped design, with "Francois-Charles Oberthur Fiduciare" printed in a small font below it, has been added to the inside cover.

D. The perforated passport number is shown on top of the pages instead of bottom.

E. The bearer's personal information (full name, nationality, date and place of birth, sex, and the passport's issue and expiration date) and photo are now on the same page, displayed horizontally rather than vertically.

Several new security features appear in these passports. The paper stock is multicolored (mint green on either side, and a peach-colored band running down the center), with "Republic of Chad" (in Arabic) and the Chadian logo printed in a pale golden brown. The pages are watermarked, with a four leaf clover encircled by the name "Oberthru." The personal data/photo page is now laminated.

Until further notice, old-style diplomatic and service passports will remain valid up to their expiration date, at which time they will be replaced with the newer model passports.

The issuance of Chadian passports has been centralized. Previously, Chadian embassies overseas were authorized to issue passports. Now, however, the national police (DSN) will be responsible for issuing all regular passports, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will control issuance of all diplomatic and official passports.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

NDjamena, Chad (Embassy) -- Nonimmigrant Visas

Mailing Address:
Avenue Félix Eboué
P.O. Box 413 NDjamena

Tel: (235) 51 70 09 or (235) 51 77 54

Fax: (235) 51 56 54

Yaounde, Cameroon (Embassy) -- Immigrant Visas

Tel: (237) 223-40-14 - 222-25-89 - 222-17-94

Fax: (237) 223-07-53

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visa applications for nationals of Chad are processed by the Embassy in NDjamena, Chad. Immigrant visa applications for nationals of Chad are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Cameroon.