CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Mexico
Official Country Name: United Mexican States
Country Code 2-Letters: MX
Country Code 3-Letters: MEX
Street: Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtemoc
Mexico, D.F., Mexico C.P.
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35749.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Mexico City
Street Address: Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtemoc
Mexico, D.F., Mexico C.P.
Phone: 011-52-55-5080-2000
Emergency Phone: American Citizen Services: 01 800 681 9374 (toll free in Mexico) / 81 4160 5512 (from within Mexico) / 844 528 6611 (toll free in the U.S.)
Fax: 011-52-55-5080-2201
Email: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov
Web: https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/embassy/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Passport must be valid at time of entry

Blank Passport Pages:

One page per stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Yes, if visiting for more than 180 days


See Travelers’ Health section

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

List of Consulates / Consular Agencies

(Also available at: https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/)

U.S. Embassy in Mexico City
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtémoc
C.P. 06500, Ciudad de México
Phone: (01-55) 5080-2000
Fax: (01-55) 5080-2005

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-55-8526-2561 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: ACSMexicoCity@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Ciudad Juarez
Paseo de la Victoria #3650
Fracc. Partido Senecú
Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, México C.P. 32543
Phone: (656) 227-3000

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-656-344-3032 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: CDJSCS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Guadalajara
Progreso 175
Col. Americana, C.P. 44160
Guadalajara, Jalisco, México
Phone: (01-33) 4624-2102

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-334-624-2102 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: ACSGDL@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Hermosillo
141 Monterey Street
Col. Esqueda, C.P. 83000
Hermosillo, Sonora, México
Phone: (+52) 662-690-3262
Fax: (+52) 662-217-2571

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-662-690-3262 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: HermoACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Matamoros
Calle Primera #2002
Colonia Jardín, C.P. 87330
Matamoros, Tamaulipas, México
Phone: (+52) 868-208-2000
Fax: (+52) 868-816-0883

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-868-206-1076 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: MatamorosACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Merida
Calle 60 No. 338-K x 29 y 31
Col. Alcalá Martin, C.P. 97050
Mérida, Yucatán, México
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
Fax: (+52) 999-942-5758

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-999-316-7168 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: AskMeridaACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey
Ave. Alfonso Reyes #150
Col. Valle del Poniente
Santa Catarina, Nuevo León
México 66196
Phone: (+52) 81-8047-3100
Fax: (+52) 81-8342-5433

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-814-160-5512 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: MonterreyACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Nogales
Calle San José s/n
Fraccionamiento los Álamos
C. P. 84065 Nogales, Sonora
Phone: (+52) 631-311-8150
Fax: (+52) 631-313-4652

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-631-980-0522 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: NogalesACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Nuevo Laredo
Paseo Colon 1901
Colonia Madero, C.P. 88260
Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas
Phone: (+52) 867-233-0557

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-867-233-0557 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
E-Mail: NuevoLaredo-ACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General in Tijuana
Paseo de las Culturas s/n
Mesa de Otay
Delegación Centenario C.P. 22425
Tijuana, Baja California
Phone: (+52) 664-977-2000

U.S. Citizen Services
From Mexico: 01-664-748-0129 or 01-800-681-9374
From the United States: 1-844-528-6611
Email: ACSTijuana@state.gov

Consular Agencies

(Also available at: https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-agencies/)

(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Hotel Continental Emporio
Costera M. Alemán 121 – Office 14
Acapulco, Guerrero C.P. 39670
Phone: (+52) 744-481-0100
Fax: (+52) 744-484-0300
E-Mail: ConAgencyAcapulco@state.gov

(An extension of the Consulate in Merida)
Blvd. Kukulcan Km 13 ZH
Torre La Europea, Despacho 301
Cancún, Quintana Roo C.P. 77500
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
E-Mail: ConAgencyCancun@state.gov

Los Cabos
(An extension of the Consulate in Tijuana)
Las Tiendas de Palmilla L-B221, Km. 27.5 Carretera Transpeninsular
San José del Cabo, Baja California Sur C.P. 23406
Phone: (+52) 624-143-3566
Fax: (+52) 624-143-6750
E-mail: ConAgencyLosCabos@state.gov

(An extension of the Consulate General in Hermosillo)
Address: Playa Gaviotas 202, Local 10. Zona Dorada.
Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México
Phone: (+52) 81-8047-3145
Fax (+52) 669-916-7531
E-mail: ConAgencyMazatlan@state.gov

(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Macedonio Alcalá No. 407, Office 20
Oaxaca, Oaxaca C.P. 68000
Phone: (+52) 951-514-3054, 516-2853
Fax: (+52) 951-516-2701
E-mail: ConAgencyOaxaca@state.gov

Piedras Negras
(An extension of the Consulate in Nuevo Laredo)
Abasolo #211, Local #3, Centro
Piedras Negras, Coahuila C.P. 26000
Phone: (+52) 867-233-0557
E-mail: NuevoLaredo-ACS@state.gov

Playa del Carmen
(An extension of the Consulate in Merida)
Plaza Progreso, Local 33, Second floor
Carretera Federal Puerto Juarez-Chetumal, Mz. 293 Lt. 1.
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo C.P. 77710
Phone: (+52) 999-942-5700
E-mail: ConAgencyPlayadelC@state.gov

Puerto Vallarta
(An extension of the Consulate General in Guadalajara)
Paseo de los Cocoteros #85 Sur
Paradise Plaza, Local L-7, Segundo Piso
Nuevo Vallarta, Nayarit C.P. 63732
Phone: (01-33) 4624-2102
E-mail: ConAgencyPuertoV@state.gov

San Miguel de Allende
(An extension of the Embassy in Mexico City)
Plaza La Luciérnaga, Libramiento Jose Manuel Zavala No. 165, Locales 4 y 5
Colonia La Luciérnaga
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato C.P. 37745
Phone: (+52) 415-152-2357
Fax: (+52) 415-152-1588
E-mail: ConAgencySanMiguel@state.gov

Destination Description

See the State Department’s Fact Sheet on Mexico for more information on U.S.-Mexico relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Mexican National Institute of Migration’s (Instituto Nacional de Migración, INM) website (Spanish only) or the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C., for the most current entry, exit, and visa requirements.

U.S. citizens should be aware that a valid passport book is required to enter Mexico by air, and that those attempting to enter at an airport with a U.S. passport card only may be denied admission.

If you enter Mexico by land and plan to travel beyond the immediate border area (approximately 20 kilometers into Mexico) you must stop at an INM office at the port of entry to obtain an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM), even if not explicitly directed to do so by Mexican officials. You must present a valid passport in order to receive the entry permit. You may be asked to present your passport and valid entry permit at immigration checkpoints on your route of travel. For more information, visit the INM website (Spanish only). If you enter by sea, review the Mexican boating permit requirements prior to travel or contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C. for more information.

U.S. citizens should be aware that Mexican law permits Mexican immigration authorities to deny foreigners entry into Mexico if they have been charged with or convicted of a serious crime in Mexico or elsewhere.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents in Mexico.

A parent or legal guardian departing Mexico with minor children should carry a notarized consent letter from the other parent if traveling separately. INM requires at least one parent to complete a SAM (Formato de Salida de Menores) for all minors departing Mexico with a third party. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., the nearest Mexican consulate, or INM for more information.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international parental child abduction can be found on our website.

Travelers bringing in additional goods beyond their personal effects worth $75.00 U.S. dollars or more must declare those goods with Mexican Customs or risk having them confiscated. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

Safety and Security

Travelers are urged to review the Mexico Travel Advisory, which provides updated information about safety and security concerns affecting the country on a state-by-state basis.

U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Mexico should not expect to be protected by public health and safety standards similar to those in the United States. Even where such standards exist, enforcement may vary by location. Instead, travelers should mitigate risk of illness or injury by taking standard health and safety precautions.

The phone number to report emergencies in Mexico is “911”: Although there may be English-speaking operators available, it is best to seek the assistance of a Spanish speaker to place the call.

Crime: Crime in Mexico occurs at a high rate and can be violent. Street crime, ranging from pick-pocketing to armed robbery, carjacking, kidnapping, sexual assault, and extortion are serious problems in most major cities. Increased levels of cartel-related violence have resulted in turf battles and targeted killings, injuring or killing innocent bystanders. Travelers who find themselves in an active shooter scenario should flee in the opposite direction if possible, or drop to the ground, preferably behind a hard barrier.

While Mexican authorities make great efforts to safeguard the country’s major resort areas and tourist destinations, those areas have not been immune to the types of violence and crime experienced elsewhere in Mexico. See our Mexico Travel Advisory for more information.  

Travelers should be alert to individuals seeking financial assistance or asking for personal information. See the Department of State and FBI pages for information on financial scams and other common fraud schemes.

Credit/Debit Card “Skimming”: There have been instances of fraudulent charges or withdrawals from accounts due to “skimmed” cards. If you choose to use credit or debit cards, you should regularly check your account to ensure there are no unauthorized transactions. Whenever possible, travelers should watch service workers swipe their credit cards. Travelers should limit the amount of cash they carry in public and exercise caution when withdrawing cash from ATMs, avoiding ATMs located in isolated or unlit areas.  

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of crime should contact the local authorities to file a Mexican police report before departing Mexico. In most instances, victims of crime will file reports with the Ministerio Público (equivalent to the office of public prosecutor or district attorney in the United States) and not with police first responders. U.S. citizens should also inform the U.S. Embassy or the nearest consulate or consular agency. Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Alcohol: If you choose to drink alcohol, it is important to do so in moderation and to stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill. There have been reports of individuals falling ill or blacking out after consuming unregulated alcohol. The Mexican Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk (COFEPRIS) is responsible for inspecting hotels, restaurants, or other establishments for health violations, including reports of unregulated alcohol. Please email COFEPRIS at contactociudadano@cofepris.gob.mx for more information or if you wish to file a report. Additionally, if you feel you have been the victim of unregulated alcohol or another serious health violation, you should notify the American Citizen Services unit at the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City or the nearest U.S. Consulate. You may also contact the U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Demonstrations: Demonstrations are common in all parts of Mexico. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Protesters in Mexico may block traffic on roads, including major thoroughfares, or take control of toll booths on highways. U.S. citizens should avoid demonstration areas and exercise caution if near any protests. Travelers who encounter protesters demanding unofficial tolls are generally allowed to pass upon payment. U.S. citizens should avoid participating in demonstrations and other activities that might be deemed political by authorities, as Mexican law prohibits political activities by foreign citizens and such actions may result in detention and/or deportation.

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy or consulates for assistance.

Sexual Assault: Rape and sexual assault are serious problems in some resort areas. Many of these incidents occur at night or during the early morning hours, in hotel rooms, on deserted beaches, and may follow the drugging of drinks. Pay attention to your surroundings. If you choose to drink alcohol, do so in moderation and stop and seek medical attention if you begin to feel ill.

Drug Smuggling: Mexican criminal organizations are engaged in a violent struggle to control trafficking routes. Criminal organizations have targeted unsuspecting individuals who regularly cross the border as a way to smuggle drugs into the United States. Frequent border crossers are advised to vary their routes and travel times, and to closely monitor their vehicles to avoid being targeted.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or nearest U.S. Consulate immediately. The Mexican government is required by international law to contact the U.S. Embassy or consulate promptly when a U.S. citizen is arrested, if the arrestee so requests. This requirement does not apply to dual nationals. See our webpage for further information.

Firearms and Other Weapons: Weapons laws in Mexico vary by state, but it is generally illegal for travelers to carry weapons of any kind including firearms, knives, daggers, brass knuckles, as well as ammunition (even used shells). Illegal firearms trafficking from the United States to Mexico is a major problem, and the Department of State warns all U.S. citizens against taking any firearm or ammunition into Mexico. If you are caught entering Mexico with firearms or ammunitions, you will be imprisoned. Visit the Department’s Traveling Abroad with Firearms webpage, the Mexican Secretary of Defense page (Spanish only), and the Mexican Customs page (Spanish only) for further information. For additional information about importing hunting weapons or ammunition into Mexico, contact ANGADI (Asociación Nacional de Ganaderos Diversificados Criadores de Fauna, Spanish only) at info@angadi.org.mx. For more information on firearms and ammunition issues in English, contact the Embassy of Mexico in Washington, D.C.

Vessels entering Mexican waters with firearms or ammunition on board must have a permit previously issued by a Mexican embassy or consulate.

Surrogacy: Although surrogacy agencies or clinics claim surrogacy is legal in Mexico and actively promote Mexico as a destination for international commercial surrogacy, there is no legal framework for foreign citizens or same-sex couples to pursue surrogacy in Mexico. As a result, surrogacy agreements between foreign or same-sex intending parents and gestational mothers are not enforced by Mexican courts.

If you decide to pursue parenthood in Mexico via assisted reproductive technology (ART) with a gestational mother, be prepared for long and unexpected delays in documenting your child’s citizenship. Make sure you understand Mexican law, which recognizes the gestational mother as the child’s legal parent with full parental rights and mandates that the gestational mother be listed on the Mexican state-issued birth certificate. Be aware that individuals who attempt to circumvent local law risk criminal prosecution. Mexican authorities have made arrests stemming from surrogacy cases.

Real Estate and Time Shares: U.S. citizens should exercise caution when considering time-share investments or purchasing real estate and be aware of the aggressive tactics used by some sales representatives. Mexican law allows time-share purchasers five days to cancel the contract for unconditional and full reimbursement. U.S. citizens should consult with a Mexican attorney before initiating a real estate purchase or time-share investment to learn about important regulations and law that govern real estate property. For more information, visit Mexico’s Federal Attorney’s Office of Consumer website.

Drugs and Prescription Medications: Carrying any form of marijuana into Mexico, even with a prescription or medical marijuana license, is a Mexican federal offense and considered as international drug trafficking. Offenders can expect large fines and/or jail sentences of up to 25 years.

For a list of controlled substances in Mexico, visit the Federal Commission for the Protection against Sanitary Risk website (Spanish only) and the Mexican Drug Schedule (Spanish only). U.S. citizens are advised to carry a copy of their prescription or doctor’s letter, but it is still possible that they may be subject to arrest for arriving in Mexico with substances on these lists. Note that medicines considered “over the counter” in the United States may be a controlled substance in Mexico. For example, pseudoephedrine, the active ingredient in Sudafed, is considered a controlled substance in Mexico. For more information, contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Importing Medicines into Mexico: Visit the Mexican Health Department website (Spanish only) or contact the Mexican Embassy in Washington, D.C., for more information about obtaining a permit to import medicine into Mexico.

Mountain Climbing and Hiking: The Mexican government has declared the area around the Popocatepetl and the Colima volcanoes off limits. In remote rural areas, there can be limited cell phone coverage and internet connectivity.

Storm Season: Tropical storms in the Gulf of Mexico or along the Caribbean and Pacific Coast between May and November can produce heavy winds and rain. Please visit our Hurricane Season webpage for more information.

Potential for Natural Disasters: Mexico is in an active earthquake zone. Tsunamis may occur following significant earthquakes. For information concerning disasters, see:

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Resort Areas and Spring Break: Millions of U.S. citizens visit Mexican beach resorts each year, especially during “spring break” season. The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18. See the “Alcohol” section above to learn more about the risks associated with drinking, as well as reports of illnesses associated with the possible consumption of unregulated alcohol.

Warning flags on beaches should be taken seriously. If black or red warning flags are up, do not enter the water. Strong currents can lead to dangerous conditions for even the most experienced swimmers. U.S. citizens have drowned or disappeared at Mexican beaches and are advised not to swim alone. Rogue waves have injured and even claimed the lives of unsuspecting tourists walking along the shore.

Boats used for excursions sometimes lack adequate life jackets, radios, and tools to make repairs, and may not be covered by accident insurance.

LGBTI Travelers: U.S. citizens should exercise discretion in identifying themselves publicly as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or Intersex (LGBTI). See our LGBTI Travel Information page and Section 6 of the Department of State’s Human Rights Report for Mexico for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues: U.S. citizens with disabilities should consult individual hotels and facilities in advance of travel to ensure they are accessible. Mexican law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, and mental disabilities in employment and education, as well as access to health care, transportation, and other services. Please visit our Traveling with Disabilities webpage for more information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report and Faith-Based Travel Information.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Excellent health facilities are available in Mexico City and other major cities, but training and availability of emergency responders may be below U.S. standards. Mexican facilities often require payment “up front” prior to performing a procedure, and most hospitals in Mexico do not accept U.S. health insurance. A list of doctors and hospitals is available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.

U.S. citizens have lodged numerous complaints against some private hospitals in Cancun, the Riviera Maya, and Cabo San Lucas to include exorbitant prices and inflexible collection measures. Travelers should obtain complete information on billing, pricing, and proposed medical procedures before agreeing to any medical care in these locations. Be aware that some resorts have exclusive agreements with medical providers, which may limit your choices in seeking emergency medical attention.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See the Your Health Abroad page for more information on overseas medical care.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

Water Quality: In many areas in Mexico, tap water is not potable. Bottled water and beverages are safe, although you should be aware that many restaurants and hotels serve tap water unless bottled water is specifically requested. Be aware that ice for drinks may be made using tap water.

Altitude: Many cities in Mexico, such as Mexico City, are at high altitude, which can lead to altitude illness. Visit the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for more information about Altitude Illness.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

Travel & Transportation

U.S. driver’s licenses are valid in Mexico. Mexican law requires that only owners drive their vehicles, or that the owner be inside the vehicle. Mexican insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental vehicles. Mexican liability insurance is recommended in the event of a vehicle accident. Driving under the influence of alcohol, using a mobile device while driving, and driving through a yellow light are all illegal in Mexico.

If you drive your vehicle into Mexico beyond the immediate border area (approximately 20 km into Mexico) you must apply for a temporary vehicle import permit with Mexican Customs, BANJERCITO, or at some Mexican Consulates in the United States. The permit requires the presentation of a valid passport and a monetary deposit that will be returned to you upon leaving Mexico before the expiration of the permit. Failing to apply for a temporary vehicle import permit may lead to impoundment. For more information, see the Mexican Customs website (click here for English version).

Vehicles crossing into Mexico must have a valid license plate and registration sticker. Mexican authorities may refuse to admit vehicles with temporary or paper license plates. Vehicles with expired registration or unauthorized plates may be confiscated.

Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of U.S. citizen deaths in Mexico. If you have an emergency while driving, dial “911.” If you are driving on a toll highway (“cuota”) or any other major highway, you may contact the Green Angels (Angeles Verdes website – Spanish only), a fleet of trucks with bilingual crews, by dialing 078 from any phone in Mexico.

Road Conditions and Safety: Avoid driving on Mexican highways at night. Travel with a charged and functional cell phone capable of making calls in Mexico. Travelers should exercise caution at all times and should use toll (“cuota”) roads rather than the less secure “free” (“libre”) roads whenever possible. Do not hitchhike or accept rides from or offer rides to strangers anywhere in Mexico. Travelers encountering police or security checkpoints should comply with instructions.

Road conditions and maintenance across Mexico vary with many road surfaces needing repair. Travel in rural areas poses additional risks to include spotty cell phone coverage and delays in receiving roadside or medical assistance.

Vehicular traffic in Mexico City is subject to restriction Monday through Saturday, according to the license plate number, in order to reduce air pollution. For additional information, refer to the Hoy No Circula website (Spanish only) maintained by the Mexico City government.

See our Road Safety Page for more information. Also, visit Mexico’s national tourist office website, MexOnline, and Mexico’s Customs website Importación Temporal de Vehículos for more information regarding travel and transportation.  

Public Transportation/Taxis: Security on public buses varies throughout the country but is considered a relatively safe transportation option in Mexico City and other major tourist centers. Passengers should protect their personal possessions at all times as theft is common. Intercity bus travel should be conducted during daylight hours in preferably first-class buses using toll roads.

Robberies and assaults on passengers in taxis not affiliated with a taxi stand (“libre” taxis) are common. Avoid taking any taxi not summoned by telephone or contacted in advance, including “libre” taxis. When in need of a taxi, telephone a radio taxi or “sitio” (regulated taxi stand), and ask the dispatcher for the driver’s name and the taxi’s license plate number. Application-based car services such as Uber and Cabify are available in many Mexican cities, and generally offer another safe alternative to taxis. Official complaints against Uber and other drivers do occur, however, and past disputes between these services and local taxi unions have occasionally turned violent, resulting in injuries to U.S. citizens in some instances.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Mexico’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Mexico’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA safety assessment page.

Maritime Safety Oversight: The Mexican maritime industry, including charter fishing and recreational vessels, is subject solely to Mexican safety regulations. Travelers should be aware that Mexican equipment and vessels may not meet U.S. safety standards or be covered by any accident insurance.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Mexico should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website under “broadcast warnings.”

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Locate your state and county in the list below, then send notification to the Mexican Consulate that handles your area of the U.S. To search, use Ctrl + "F" for the search box and type in your state and/or county.

For Mexico only: In the subject line of your email, please use the following format: CONSULAR NOTIFICATION / Name of Law Enforcement Department

Albuquerque, NM


Telephone (505) 247-2147, (505) 247-4177; Fax (505) 842-9490

Notifications for the following counties in NEW MEXICO - Bernalillo, Catron, Cibola, Colfax, Curry, De Baca, Guadalupe, Harding, Lincoln, Los Alamos, McKinley, Mora, Quay, Rio Arriba, Roosevelt, Sandoval, San Juan, San Miguel, Santa Fe, Socorro, Taos, Torrance, Union and Valencia

Atlanta, GA


Telephone (404) 266-2233; Fax (404) 266-2309

Notifications for –

ALABAMA: all counties

GEORGIA: all counties

The following counties in TENNESSEE:

Anderson, Bedford, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Cannon, Carter, Cheatham, Clairborne, Clay, Cocke, Coffee, Cumberland, Davidson, DeKalb, Dickson, Fentress, Franklin, Giles, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Hickman, Houston, Humphreys, Jackson, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Loudon, Macon, Marion, Marshall, Maury, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Montgomery, Moore, Morgan, Overton, Perry, Pickett, Polk, Putnam, Rhea, Roane, Robertson, Rutherford, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Smith, Stewart, Sullivan, Sumner, Trousdale, Unicoi, Union, Van Buren, Warren, Washington, Wayne, White, Williamson, Wilson

Austin, TX


Telephone (512) 478-2866; Fax (512) 478-8008

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Bastrop, Bell, Blanco, Brown, Burnet, Caldwell, Coryell, Comanche, Coleman, Falls, Fayette, Hamilton, Hays, Llano, Lampasas, Lee, McLennan, Milam, Mills, Limestone, San Saba, Travis, Williamson

Boise, ID


Telephone (208) 343-6228; Fax (208) 343-6237

Notifications for IDAHO and MONTANA

Boston, MA


Telephone (617) 350-5263, (617) 350-5264, (617) 350-5266; Fax (617) 695-1957


Brownsville, TX


Telephone (956) 542-4431, (956) 542-5182

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Cameron, Willacy and Kenedy counties

Calexico, CA


Telephone (760) 357-3863; Fax (760) 357-6284

Notifications for Imperial, CA

Chicago, IL


Telephone (312) 738-2383; Fax (312) 491-9072

Notifications for the following counties –

ILLINOIS: Adams, Boone, Brown, Bureau, Carroll, Cass, Champaign, Christian, Coles, Cook, De Witt, Dekalb, Douglas, Dupage, Edgar, Ford, Fulton, Grundy, Hancock, Henderson, Henry, Iroquois, Jo Daviess, Kane, Kankakee, Kendall, Knox, Lake, La Salle, Lee, Livingston, Logan, Macon, Marshall, Mason, McDonough, McHenry, McLean, Menard, Mercer, Morgan, Moultrie, Ogle, Peoria, Piatt, Pike, Putnam, Rock Island, Sangamon, Schuyler, Scott, Shelby, Stark, Stephenson, Tazewell, Vermillion, Warren, Whiteside, Will, Winnebago, Woodford

INDIANA: Adams, Allen, Benton, Cass, De Kalb, Elkhart, Fulton, Huntington, Jasper, Kosciusko, La Porte, Lagrange, Lake, Marshall, Miami, Newton, Noble, Porter, Pulaski, St. Joseph, Starke, Steuben, Wabash, Wells, White, Whitley

Dallas, TX


Telephone (214) 932-8670, (214) 932-8671, (214) 932-8672; Fax (214) 932-8673

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Anderson, Andrews, Archer, Armstrong, Bailey, Baylor, Borden, Bosque, Bowie, Briscoe, Callahan, Camp, Carson, Cass, Castro, Cherokee, Childress, Clay, Cochran, Collin, Collingsworth, Cooke, Cottle, Crosby, Dallam, Dallas, Dawson, Deaf Smith, Delta, Denton, Dickens, Donley, Eastland, Ellis, Erath, Fannin, Fisher, Floyd, Foard, Franklin, Freestone, Gaines, Garza, Gray, Grayson, Gregg, Hale, Hall, Hansford, Hardeman, Harrison, Hartley, Haskell, Hemphill, Henderson, Hill, Hocley, Hood, Hopkins, Howard, Hunt, Hutchinson, Jack, Jasper, Jones, Johnson, Kaufman, Kent, King, Knox, Lamar, Lamb, Lipscomb, Loving, Lubbock, Lynn, Marion, Martin, Mitchell, Montague, Moore, Morris, Motley, Nacogdoches, Navarro, Nolan, Ochiltree, Oldham, Palo Pinto, Panola, Parker, Parmer, Potter, Rains, Randall, Red River, Roberts, Rockwall, Rusk, Shackelford, Shelby, Sherman, Smith, Sommervell, Stephens, Stonewell, Swisher, Tarrant, Taylor, Terry, Throckmorton, Titus, Upshur, Van Zandt, Wheeler, Wichita, Wilbarger, Wise, Wood, Yoakum, Young

Del Rio, TX


Telephone (830) 775-2352; Fax (830) 774-6497

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Sterling, Coke, Runnels, Irion, Tom Green, Concho, Pecos, Crockett, Schleicher, Sutton, Terrell and Val Verde

Denver, CO


Telephone (303) 331-1110; Fax (303) 331-0169

Notifications for the following counties –

COLORADO: All counties

WYOMING: Albany, Campbell, Carbon, Converse, Crook, Goshen, Johnson, Laramie, Natrona, Niobarra, Platte, Sheridan, Weston

Detroit, MI


Telephone (313) 964-4515, (313) 964-4517, (313) 964-4528; Fax (313) 964-4522

Notifications for the following counties –

MICHIGAN: Alcona, Allegan, Alpena, Antrlm, Arenac, Barry, Bay, Benzle, Berrien, Branch, Calhoun, Cass, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Chippewa, Clare, Clinton, Crawford, Eaton, Emmet, Genesee, Gladwin, Grand Traverse, Gratiot, Hillsdale, Huron, lngham, lonia, losco, Isabella, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Kalkaska, Kent, Lake, Lapeer, Leelanau, Lenawee, Livingston, Luce, Mackinac, Macomb, Manistee, Mason, Mecosta, Midland, Missaukee, Monroe, Montcalm, Montmorency, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oakland, Oceana, Ogemaw, Osceola, Oscoda, Otsego, Ottawa, Presque Isle, Roscommon, Saginaw, St. Clair, St. Joseph, Salinac, Shiawassee, Tuscola, Van Buren, Washtenaw, Wayne, Wexford

OHIO: Allen, Ashland, Ashtabula, Columbiana, Crawford, Cuyahoga, Defiance, Erie, Fulton, Geauga, Hancock, Henry, Huron, Lake, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning , Medina, Ottawa, Paulding, Portage, Putnam, Richland, Sandusky, Seneca, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Van Wert, Wayne, Williams, Wood, Wyandot

Douglas, AZ


Telephone (520) 364-3107, (520) 364-3142; Fax (520) 364-1379

Notifications for the following counties in ARIZONA – Cochise, Graham, Greenlee

Eagle Pass, TX


Telephone (830) 773-9255, (830) 773-9256; Fax (830) 773-9397

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Dimmit, Edwards, Kinney, Maverick, Real, Uvalde, Zavala

El Paso, TX


Telephone (915) 532-5540, (915) 544-9299; Fax (915) 532-7163

Notifications for the following counties –

NEW MEXICO: Chaves, Dona Ana, Eddy, Grant, Hidalgo, Lea, Luna, Otero, Sierra

TEXAS: El Paso, Hudspeth

Fresno, CA


Telephone (559) 233-3065; Fax (559) 257-4839

Notifications for the following counties in CALIFORNIA – Fresno, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Tulare

Houston, TX


Telephone (713) 271-6800; Fax (713) 772-1229

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Angelina, Austin, Brazoria, Brazos, Burleson, Calhoun, Chambers, Colorado, Fort Bend, Galveston, Grimes, Hardin, Harris, Houston, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Lavaca, Leon, Liberty, Madison, Matagorda, Montgomery, Newton, Orange, Polk, Robertson, Sabine, San Augustine, San Jacinto, Trinity, Tyler, Victoria, Walker, Waller, Washington, Wharton

Indianapolis, IN


Telephone (317) 761-7600; Fax (317) 951-7610

Notifications for –

KENTUCKY: all counties

The following counties in:

ILLINOIS: Alexander, Bond, Calhoun, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Cumberland, Edwards, Effingham, Fayette, Franklin, Gallatin, Greene, Hamilton, Hardin, Jackson, Jasper, Jefferson, Jersey, Johnson, Lawrence, Macoupin, Madison, Marion, Massac, Monroe, Montgomery, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Richland, Saline, St. Clair, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne, White, Williamson

INDIANA: Bartholomew, Blackford, Boone, Brown, Carroll, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Crawford, Daviess, Dearborn, Decatur, Delaware, Dubois, Fayette, Floyd, Fountain, Franklin, Gibson, Grant, Greene, Hamilton, Hancock, Harrison, Hendricks, Henry, Howard, Jackson, Jay, Jefferson, Jennings, Johnson, Knox, Lawrence, Madison, Marion, Martin, Montgomery, Morgan, Ohio, Omroe, Orange, Owen, Parke, Perry, Pike, Posey, Putnam, Randolph, Ripley, Rush, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, Sullivan, Switzerland, Tippecanoe, Tipton, Union, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Warren, Warrick, Washington, Wayne

OHIO: Adams, Athens, Auglaize, Belmont, Brown, Butler, Carroll, Champaign, Clark, Clermont, Clinton, Coshocton, Darke, Delaware, Fairfield, Fayette, Franklin, Gallia, Greene, Guernsey, Hamilton, Hardin, Harrison, Highland, Hocking, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Knox, Lawrence, Licking, Logan, Madison, Marion, Meigs, Mercer, Miami, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Morrow, Muskingum, Noble, Perry, Pickaway, Pike, Preble, Ross, Scioto, Shelby, Tuscarawas, Union, Vinton, Warren, Washington

Kansas City, MO


Telephone (816) 556-0800; Fax (816) 556-0900

Notifications for –

KANSAS: all counties

MISSOURI: all counties

The following counties in OKLAHOMA:

Alfalfa, Beaver, Beckham, Blaine, Caddo, Canadian, Cimmaron, Comanche, Cotton, Custer, Dewey, Ellis, Grady, Greer, Harmon, Harper, Jackson, Jefferson, Kingfisher, Kiowa, Major, Roger Mills, Stephens, Texas, Tillman, Washita, Woods, Woodward

Laredo, TX


Telephone (956) 723-0990, (956) 723-6369; Fax (956) 723-1741

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Duval, Jim Hogg, La Salle, McMullen, Webb, Zapata

Las Vegas, NV


Telephone (702) 477-2700; Fax (702) 477-2727

Notifications for –

NEVADA: all counties

Little Rock, AR


Telephone (501) 372-6933; Fax (501) 372-6109

Notifications for the following counties –

ARKANSAS: All counties

TENNESSEE: Benton, Carrol, Cheatham, Chester, Crocket, Davidson, Decatur, Dickson, Dyer, Fayette, Gibson, Giles, Hardeman, Hardin, Haywood, Henderson, Henry, Hickman, Houston, Humphreys, Lake, Lauderdale, Lawrence, Lewis, Madison, Marshall, Maury, McNairy, Montgomery, Obion, Perry, Robertson, Shelby, Stewart, Tipton, Wayne, Weakley, Williamson

OKLAHOMA: Adair, Atoka, Bryan, Carter, Cherokee, Choctaw, Cleveland, Coal, Craig, Creek, Delaware, Garfield, Garvin, Grant, Haskell, Hughes, Johnson, Kay, Latimer, Le Flore, Lincoln, Logan, Love Marshall, Mayes, McClain, McCurtain, McIntosh, Murray, Muskogee, Noble, Nowata, Okfuskee, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, Osage, Ottawa, Pawnee, Payne, Pittsburg, Pontotoc, Pottawatomie, Pushmataha, Rogers, Seminole, Sequoya, Tulsa, Wagoner, Washington

Los Angeles, CA


Telephone (213) 351-6800 ext. 2518; Fax (213) 351-2114

Notifications for Los Angeles County

McAllen, TX


Telephone (956) 686-0243, (956) 686-0244, (956) 686-0554; Fax (956) 686-4901

Notifications for Brooks, Hidalgo and Starr counties in TEXAS

Miami, FL


Telephone (786) 268-4900; Fax (786) 268-4895

Notifications for the following counties in FLORIDA – Broward, Collier, Charlotte, Glades, Hendry, Indian River, Lee, Martin, Miami-Dade, Monroe, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, St. Lucie

Milwaukee, WI


Telephone (786) 268-4900; Fax (786) 268-4895

WISCONSIN: Adams, Ashland, Brown, Calumet, Clark, Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Door, Florence, Fond du Lac, Forest, Grant, Green, Green Lake, Iowa, Iron, Jefferson, Juneau, Kenosha, Kewaunee, Lafayette, Langlade, Lincoln, Manitowoc, Marathon, Marinette, Marquette, Menominee, Milwaukee, Oconto, Oneida, Outagamie, Ozaukee, Portage, Price, Racine, Richland, Rock, Eauk, Shawano, Sheboygan, Taylor, Vernon, Vilas, Walworth, Washington, Waukesha, Waupaca, Waushara, Winnebago, Wood

MICHIGAN: Alger, Baraga, Delta, Dickinson, Gogebic, Houghton, Iron, Keweenaw, Marquette, Menominee, Ontogagon, Schoolcraft

New Orleans, LA


Telephone (504) 528-3722

Notifications for LOUISIANA and MISSISSIPPI

New York, NY


Telephone (212) 217-6400; Fax (212) 217-6493

Notifications for CONNECTICUT, NEW YORK STATE and the following counties in NEW JERSEY – Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union, Warren

Nogales, AZ


Telephone (520) 287-2521, (520) 287-3381, (520) 287-3386; Fax (520) 287-3175

Santa Cruz County, the border crossing at Sasabe, the city of Green Valley in Pima County

Omaha, NE


Telephone (402) 595-1841, (402) 595-1844; Fax (402) 595-1845

Notifications for IOWA and NEBRASKA

Orlando, FL


Telephone (407) 422-0514; Fax (407) 422-9633

Notifications for the following counties in FLORIDA – Alachua, Baker, Bay, Bradford, Brevard, Calhoun, Citrus, Clay, Columbia, Desoto, Dixie, Duval, Escambia, Flagler, Franklin, Gasden, Gilchrist, Gulf, Hamilton, Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Holmes, Jackson, Jefferson, Lafayette, Lake, Leon, Levy, Liberty, Madison, Manatee, Marion, Nassau, Okaloosa, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Putman, Santa Rosa, Sarasota, St. Johns, Sumter, Suwannee, Seminole, Taylor, Union, Volusia, Walton, Wakulla, Washington

Oxnard, CA


Telephone (805) 984-8738; Fax (805) 984-8747

Notifications for the following counties in CALIFORNIA – Ventura, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo

Philadelphia, PA


Telephone (215) 922-4262; Fax (215) 923-7281

Notifications for DELAWARE, PENNSYLVANIA and the following counties in NEW JERSEY – Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean, Salem

Phoenix, AZ


Telephone (602) 242-7398, (602) 242-3649

Notifications the following counties in ARIZONA – Apache, Coconino, Gila, Maricopa, Mohave, Navajo, Yavapai

Portland, OR


Telephone (503) 274-1442; Fax (503) 274-1540

Notifications for OREGON

Presidio, TX


Telephone (432) 229-2788; Fax (432) 229-2792

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Brewster, Crane, Culberson, Ector, Glasscock, Jeff Davis, Loving, Midland, Presidio, Reagan, Reaves, Upton, Ward, Winkler

Raleigh, NC


Telephone (919) 615-3653; Fax (919) 803-4927

Notifications for NORTH CAROLINA and SOUTH CAROLINA - Consul General of Mexico

Sacramento, CA


Telephone (916) 329-3500; Fax (916) 419-9417

Notifications for the following counties in CALIFORNIA – Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Lassen, Modoc, Mono, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Stanislaus, Tehama, Toulumne, Yolo, Yuba

Saint Paul, MN


Telephone (651) 771-5494; Fax (651) 772-4419

Notifications for MINNESOTA, NORTH DAKOTA, SOUTH DAKOTA, and the following counties in WISCONSIN – Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Chippewa, Douglas, Dunn, Eau Claire, Pepin, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Washburn

Salt Lake City, UT


Telephone (801) 521-8502/8503; Fax (801) 521-0534

Notifications for the following counties –

UTAH: All counties

Notifications for the following counties in WYOMING – Big Horn, Fremont, Hot Springs, Lincoln, Park, Sublette, Sweetwater, Teton, Uinta, Washakie, Yellowstone

San Antonio, TX


Telephone (210) 227-9145; Fax (210) 227-1817

Notifications for the following counties in TEXAS – Aransas, Atascosa, Bandera, Bee, Bexar, Comal, DeWitt, Frio, Gillespie, Goliad, Gonzales, Guadalupe, Jim Wells, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, Kimble, Kleberg, Live Oak, McCulloch, Mason, Medina, Menard, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Wilson

San Bernardino, CA


Telephone (909) 384-8114, (909) 889-9836, (909) 889-9837; Fax (909) 889-8285

Notifications for San Bernardino and Riverside counties in CALIFORNIA

San Diego, CA


Telephone (619) 231-8414; Fax (619) 231-4802

Notifications for San Diego County in CALIFORNIA

San Francisco, CA


Telephone (415) 354-1700

Notifications for the following counties –

HAWAI'I: All counties

Notifications for the following counties in CALIFORNIA:

Alameda, Contra Costa, Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Marin, Mendocino, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Solano, Sonoma, Trinity

San Jose, CA


Telephone (408) 294-3414, (408) 294-3415; Fax (408) 294-4506

Notifications for the following counties in CALIFORNIA – Monterey, San Benito, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz

San Juan, PR


Telephone (787) 764-8923, (787) 764-0258; Fax (787) 250-0042

Notifications for PR and USVI

Santa Ana, CA


Telephone (714) 835-3069; Fax (714) 835-3472

Notifications for Orange County, CALIFORNIA

Seattle, WA


Telephone (206) 448-3526; Fax (206) 448-4771

Notifications for ALASKA and WASHINGTON STATE

Tucson, AZ


Telephone (520) 882-5595; Fax (520) 882-8959

Notifications for Pinal and Pima Counties, the Lukeville border crossing

Yuma, AZ


Telephone (928) 343-0066; Fax (928) 343-0077

Notifications for La Paz and Yuma Counties, and the Lukeville border crossing from Pima County

Washington, DC


Telephone (202) 736-1000, (202) 736-1002; Fax (202) 728-1698


  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Mexico and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since October 1, 1991.

For information concerning travel to Mexico, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Mexico. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Mexico.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 1-202-485-6221

The Mexican Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE).  The Mexican Central Authority performs an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.  They can be reached at:

Secretari­a de Relaciones Exteriores
Direccion General de Proteccion a Mexicanos en el Exterior
Direccion de Derecho de Familia
Plaza Juarez No. 20, Piso 17
Colonia Centro, Del. Cuauhtemoc
C.P. 06010 Mexico, D.F.
Telephone: 011-52-55-36865100
Fax: 011-52-55-36865865
Email: dgpmexterior@sre.gob.m

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Mexico, the left behind parent should submit a Hague application to the Mexican Central Authority, either through the USCA or directly.  In exceptional cases, some courts may accept a petition filed directly.  The Mexican Central Authority will, upon receipt and acceptance of the Hague Convention application, prepare a written communique for the court containing an explanation of the Hague Convention and its objectives and forward the application to the appropriate state court. The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the Mexican Central Authority, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are not fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Mexican central authorities.  If the applicant parent hires an attorney, attorney fees are the responsibility of the applicant parent.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Mexico.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Mexico.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Applicants are not required to retain an attorney to file a Hague Convention application in Mexico.  A parent may choose to retain an attorney, however, to follow-up on the case and to provide them with direct information on the status of the case. A retained attorney should contact the Mexican Central Authority as soon as possible after the application is submitted.  The Mexican Central Authority does not represent Hague Convention applicants in court or assign an attorney to represent the applicant.

The U.S. Embassy and the U.S. Consulates in Mexico posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Courts in Mexico prefer to resolve cases through voluntary agreements, usually negotiated under the supervision of the court. The use of professional mediation services is not widely available in Mexico and is not a prevalent practice in Hague Convention cases with Mexico.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Mexico is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Convention countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations; as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Mexico.

The Mexican Central Authority is comprised of multiple entities including two federal authorities as well as an adoption authority in each of the 31 states. The two federal authorities are the Secretary of Exterior Relations, or Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE), which issues key Hague Adoption Convention documentation including the Article 23 Certificate, and the National System for the Full Development of the Family, or Sistema Nacional para el Desarollo Integral de la Familia (DIF), which coordinates national policy for child and family welfare, including processing of domestic and intercountry adoption cases and authorization of foreign adoption service providers in Mexico. Both of these entities are federal and are based in Mexico City.

In addition to the two federal authorities named above, intercountry adoptions must also involve one of the 31 state DIF offices, one in each Mexican state. The state DIF offices issue the Article 16 and Article 17 letters, important Hague Adoption Convention documentation. The civil code in each state may vary, and prospective adoptive parents need to be aware of and abide by the applicable laws of the state from which they plan to adopt. Though state and regional DIF offices play an important role in intercountry adoption cases, all intercountry adoptions must be processed in coordination with the national DIF office and the SRE, which are the entities with the authority to certify Convention compliance for intercountry adoptions.

Prospective adoptive parents must initiate their adoption application in Mexico by submitting it to the SRE through a U.S. based adoption service provider that is both Hague accredited in the U.S. and approved to provide services in Mexico by the Mexican Central Authority. Prospective adoptive parents should take care to ensure that the adoption service provider they choose is both on the U.S. list of Hague accredited adoption service providers, as well as on the national DIF’s list of adoption service providers authorized to work in Mexico. Failure to work with an adoption service provider that has achieved authorization by the national DIF could delay the adoption and could result in the Mexican Central Authority's refusal to issue the Hague certification required for visa issuance.

Prospective adoptive parents who are dual Mexican and U.S. nationals are cautioned that only plenary adoptions (adopcion plena) are considered valid for intercountry adoption. The Mexican legal framework provides for two adoption processes: simple (simple) adoption and plenary (plena)adoption. Under Mexican law, Mexican nationals and permanent residents of Mexico may complete a simple adoption, which involves a faster and simpler legal process than the longer and sometimes more difficult plenaprocess. However, in most cases simple adoptions do not meet the requirements of the Hague Adoption Convention process because they do not create a permanent legal parent-child relationship with the adopting parent and terminate the legal parent-child relationship with any former parent. It is only possible to issue a U.S. Convention adoption visa to children adopted via a plena adoption completed as part of a Convention adoption process. The plena adoption decree must mention that the dual national parents reside in the United States, and must clearly indicate that the adoption is an intercountry adoption.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Mexico, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to the U.S. requirements, prospective adoptive parents need to meet Mexican requirements to adopt a child from Mexico:

  • Residency: Mexican adoption procedures include a one to three week pre-adoption trial period, during which the child lives with the prospective adoptive parent(s) in Mexico. Because of the large amount of paperwork in both the Mexican and U.S. processes, the DIF suggests that adoptive parents be prepared to spend at least three months in Mexico including the pre-adoption trial period.  
  • Age of Adopting Parents: Prospective adoptive parents must be over 25 years of age and at least 17 years older than the child. If married, only one parent must meet the age requirement.
  • Marriage: Prospective adoptive parents may be married or single, male or female. Same-sex couples are currently permitted to adopt only in Mexico City. Unmarried heterosexual couples may adopt, but only one member of the couple will appear on the adoption decree
  • Income: Prospective adoptive parents must demonstrate the means to support the physical and educational needs of the child(ren). Prospective adoptive parents need to demonstrate that they are financially capable of taking care of the child(ren) with evidence such as, but not limited to, job letters, pay stubs, pictures from their home in the U.S. , and bank statements. They will have to present these documents during the court process to support their financial status. Prospective adoptive parents should also be prepared to present information about two persons who will be able to confirm their moral qualities and employment status
  • Other: There are no restrictions concerning the gender of the child a prospective adoptive parent may adopt. For instance, an unmarried male prospective adoptive parent may adopt a female child. In addition, prospective adoptive parents who have previously adopted in Mexico can adopt again. There is no list of specific diseases or disabilities that bar prospective adoptive parents from adopting; state DIFs evaluate prospective adoptive parents on a case by case basis during the matching process with the child.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Mexico must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the adoption may take place only if the competent authorities of Mexico have determined that placement of the child within Mexico has been given due consideration and that an intercountry adoption is in the child’s best interests. In addition to Mexico’s requirements, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee to be eligible for an immigrant visa that will allow you to bring him or her to the United States.


  • Relinquishment and Abandonment: Only a Civil/Family judge, in a court proceeding, can determine if a child has been abandoned or relinquished. Public notaries are not authorized to make determinations of abandonment or relinquishment.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: Children five years and older are available for intercountry adoption. The Mexican Central Authority may, in its discretion, place a child under the age of five if the child has a physical or mental disability, suffers from a disease that is costly to treat, or is part of a sibling group involving children older than five who are also being adopted.
  • Sibling Adoptions: The Mexican Central Authority strives to keep siblings together and encourages prospective adoptive parents to consider adopting a group of siblings together in one adoption proceeding. .
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Adoptions of children with special needs or medical conditions are encouraged. The Mexican Central Authority will review the homestudy to ensure that prospective adoptive parents are equipped to care for the child.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: Every state DIF has its own rules regarding the bonding or waiting period. Prospective adoptive parents must verify this with the State DIF adoptions office.
  • Intra-family adoptions: Intra-family adoptions are permitted but must be completed through the same Convention process as non-family adoptions. This includes that the child must have been relinquished or abandoned and must be in state custody or care. The prospective adoptive parent family member may specify an interest in adopting a family member in the application to adopt submitted to the Mexican Central Authority.

How To Adopt

WARNING: Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Mexico before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter” in the case. Read on for more information.

Mexico’s Adoption Authority

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Family Law Office (SRE)
(Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores, Dirección de Derecho de Familia)

National System for Family Development – National and State offices (DIF)
(Desarollo Integral de la Familia)

Mexico has designated the SRE, National DIF and the 31 state DIF offices to perform various central authority functions. The SRE is the lead authority to which all applications and Convention process communications must be submitted. The National DIF coordinates national policy for domestic and intercountry adoption cases and is in charge of authorization of U.S. adoption service providers in Mexico. The state DIF offices handle much of the hands-on processing of intercountry adoptions, including making a referral to a child and providing written documentation regarding the child’s background.

Note: If any of the following occurred prior to April 1, 2008 (the date on which the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force with respect to the United States), the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption: 1) you filed a Form I-600A identifying [Country] as the country where you intended to adopt; 2) you filed a Form I-600; or; 3) the adoption was completed. Under these circumstances, your adopted child’s visa application could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions. For more information, read about Transition Cases.

The Process

Because Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adoptions from Mexico must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements. Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

1. Choose a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider
2. Apply to USCIS to be found eligible to adopt
3. Be matched with a child in Mexico
4. Apply to USCIS for the child to be found eligible for immigration to the United States and receive U.S. agreement to proceed with the adoption
5. Adopt (or Obtain Legal Custody) of child in Mexico
6. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home

1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

The recommended first step in adopting a child from Mexico is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited or approved to provide services to U.S. citizens in Convention cases. Only accredited or approved adoption services providers may act as the primary provider in your case. The primary adoption service provider is responsible for ensuring that all adoption services in the case are done in accordance with The Hague Adoption Convention and U.S. laws and regulations. Learn more about Agency Accreditation. The accredited adoption service provider must also be authorized to operate in Mexico. Mexico requires foreign prospective adoptive parents to use an adoption service provider that has been authorized by the Mexican Central Authority.  Further details on authorized agencies may be obtained through the national DIF office, including on the DIF’s website (which is only available in Spanish).

2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt

After you choose an accredited or approved adoption service provider, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt by the responsible U.S. government agency, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), by submitting Form I-800A. Read more about Eligibility Requirements.

Once USCIS determines that you are “eligible” and “suited” to adopt by approving the Form I-800A, your adoption service provider will provide your approval notice, home study, and any other required information to the adoption authority in Mexico as part of your adoption dossier. Mexico’s adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Mexico’s law. All adoption dossiers must be submitted first to the SRE, which will forward to the appropriate DIF offices.

3. Be Matched with a Child by in Mexico

If both the United States and Mexico determine that you are eligible to adopt, and the Mexican Central Authority has determined that a child is available for adoption and that intercountry adoption is in that child’s best interests, the Mexican Central Authority may provide you with a referral for a child. The referral is a proposed match between you and a specific child based on a review of your dossier and the needs of a specific child in Mexico. The adoption authority in Mexico (usually the state DIF) will provide a background study and other information, if available, about the child to help you decide whether to accept the referral or not. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs and provide a permanent home for a particular child. If you accept the referral, the adoption service provider communicates that to the adoption authority in Mexico. Learn more about this critical decision.

4. Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States and Receive U.S. Agreement to Proceed with the Adoption

After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval for the child to immigrate to the United States (Form I-800). USCIS will make a provisional determination as to whether the child meets the definition of a Convention Adoptee and will be eligible to enter the United States and reside permanently as an immigrant.

After provisional approval of Form I-800, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application to the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City that is responsible for issuing immigrant visas to children from Mexico. A consular officer will review the Form I-800 and the visa application for possible visa ineligibilities and advise you of options for the waiver of any noted ineligibilities.

WARNING: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Mexican Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Mexico where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Mexican Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Mexico before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

5. Adopt (or Obtain Legal Custody) of Child in Mexico

Remember: Before you adopt (or obtain legal custody of) a child in Mexico, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Mexico.

The process for finalizing the adoption (or obtaining legal custody) in Mexico generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority:
    • Receives and registers adoption dossiers and forwards to appropriate DIF offices (SRE)
    • Reviews and makes determination on applications for authorization to provide adoption services in Mexico by U.S. Hague accredited or approved adoption service providers (National DIF)
    • Documents child’s social and medical history in an Article 16 report/referral
    • Refers a child to prospective adoptive parents (state DIF)
    • Oversees court adoption process (state DIF)
    • Reviews adoption process and issues required Article 23 Hague certification after adoption if adoption was Hague complaint (SRE)
    • Receives post adoption reports and forwards to appropriate DIF office. (SRE)
  • Role of the Court: Reviews intercountry adoption applications submitted to court by state DIF after the Article 5 letter is issued by the U.S. Embassy. Issues an adoption order for the placement of the child with the prospective adoptive parents.

    The court process usually takes from four to six months depending on the court’s workload. Prospective adoptive parents are required to appear in person at least twice during the court process for hearings and to provide testimony to the Civil/Family judge and State DIF personnel. Prospective adoptive parents are also required to provide two witnesses to provide testimony about their financial status, housing conditions, criminal history and character of PAPs. All of the testimony will be evaluated and recorded in the final adoption decree.

    Prospective adoptive parents must obtain three certified copies of the full and final adoption decree. These three copies are necessary in order to: 1) request a new birth certificate from the Civil Registry showing the new name of the child, 2) apply for the Mexican passport from the SRE and 3) apply for the Article 23 Certificate with the SRE.

  • Role of Adoption Agencies: The U.S. accredited adoption service provider facilitates adoptions by U.S. prospective adoptive parents in Mexico. The U.S. adoption service provider either conducts or oversees the prospective adoptive parents’ home study to ensure that it complies with U.S. and state law where the prospective adoptive parents reside. Once the prospective adoptive parents are found eligible and suitable to adopt/I-800A is approved, the ASP submits the adoption dossier to the SRE and may communicate with the appropriate DIF office regarding the application. The ASP receives the Article 16 referral and assists the prospective adoptive parents in submitting a form I-800 to NBC. After the provisional approval of Form I-800, the ASP coordinates with the U.S Embassy in Mexico to provide documentation necessary for the Article 5 review and for issuance of an Article 5 letter.  After the Article 5 letter is issued, the ASP helps the prospective adoptive parents in meeting the court requirements and in obtaining the documentation necessary for the final visa application, including a new birth certificate and Mexican passport for the child. After the adoption is final and a visa is issued, the adoption service provider assists the family with Mexico’s post adoption reporting requirements. Please note that Mexico requires the primary adoption service provider to continue to assist the family to meet Mexican post-adoption reporting requirements after the adoption is completed.
  • Time Frame: After the prospective adoptive parents have a provisionally approved Form I-800, it typically takes six months or longer to complete the Mexican adoption process and to secure the necessary documentation.  Please note that obtaining a Mexican passport for an adopted child often takes an additional four weeks, and some adoptive parents have reported waiting as long as two months.
  • Adoption Application: Prospective adoptive parents, in coordination with their adoption service provider, must submit an online application.
  • Adoption Fees: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process. DIF does not charge any fees in connection with processing an adoption in Mexico.

    Some of the fees specifically associated with adopting from Mexico include:

    • State DIF legal services are free throughout the adoption process from initial match of the prospective adoptive parents with the child until after the adoption and after issuance of a new birth certificate showing the child’s new name; court services are also completely free of charge.
    • Prospective adoptive parents must be prepared to pay for certified copies of the full and final adoption decree (costs may vary from state to state but are generally about 10 Mexican pesos or under $1 per page). This payment is made at authorized banks and the receipt will be required by the court to process the copies. Mexican passport fee information can be obtained through the SRE’s web site.
  • Documents Required: Mexican Central Authority requirements to issue Article 23 certification that an adoption was made in accordance with the Convention:
    1. - Original birth certificate of the child (the birth certificate stating the child’s previous name as well as the new one recording the name after adoption);
    2. - Certified copy of the adoption decree;
    3. - Certified copy of the document that declares that the adoption decree is final  (causó “estado” or “ejecutoria”);
    4. - Original and a copy of the adoptive parents´ passports;
    5. - Copy of a document the current address of the adoptive parents; and
    6. - Original documents, issued by the U.S, Embassy in Mexico City (Article 5 letter)as well as by the Mexican Central Authority (Article 17 letter), demonstrating compliance with Articles 5 and 17 of the Convention. These documents must have been issued prior to the date of the adoption decree.
    7. *Originals are returned except for the items identified in No. 6

  • Note: Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents: The United States and Mexico are parties to the Hague Apostille Convention. U.S. public documents may be authenticated with Apostilles by the appropriate U.S. Competent Authority.
  • Note: All documents must be translated into the Spanish language; prospective adoptive parents should verify this requirement with the State DIF.

6. Obtain an Immigrant Visa for your Child and Bring Your Child Home
Now that your adoption is complete ,there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate
After the adoption process is finalized in court, the judge will issue a full and final adoption decree declaring the child’s new name and parents. Adoptive parents should use this adoption decree to apply for a new birth certificate reflecting the child’s new name and parents. The new birth certificate can be obtained by submitting the original final adoption decree or a certified copy of the adoption decree to the Office of Civil Registry where the child’s birth was originally registered. You may use this new birth certificate to apply for your child’s Mexican passport.

Please note that Mexico requires than an adoption be finalized prior to the child’s departure for the United States in order to meet Convention requirements. Court ordered grants of custody for purpose of adoption in the United States do not comply with Mexico’s Convention requirements. Prospective adoptive parents who have not yet completed a full and final adoption in Mexico will not be able to obtain a new birth certificate for the child and will not be able to complete Mexico’s Convention process.

Mexican Passport
Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a Mexican travel document or passport . Mexico requires that the child and both adoptive parents appear in person to apply for the child’s Mexican passport. For more details on the Mexican passport application process and requirements, you should refer to information provided by the SRE.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to finalize your application for a U.S. visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, Mexico. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, make an appointment to visit the U.S Embassy for final review of the case, issuance of a U.S. Hague Adoption Certificate or Hague Custody Certificate, final approval of Form I-800, and to obtain your child’s immigrant visa. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the “Panel Physician’s” medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Read more about the Medical Examination.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting. Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad


U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. Mexico requires United States citizens travelling to Mexico for the purposes of adoption to obtain a visa for purposes of adoption before entering Mexico. Once in Mexico, adoptive parents will be given a certain period of time within which to register with the Mexican Immigration Authority, or the Instituto de Migraciones. To find information about obtaining a visa for Mexico, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information


Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in [Country], enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements
Mexico requires post adoption reporting twice a year for the first three years and once a year thereafter until the age of 18. All reports should be submitted to the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores by an accredited adoption service provider that is also authorized to provide services in Mexico. We strongly urge you to comply with Mexico’s post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s history of positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources
Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information


U.S. Embassy in Mexico
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Colonia Cuauhtémoc
06500 Mexico, D.F.
Tel: 011-52-55-50-80-2000.
Internet: mx.usembassy.gov

Mexico Adoption Authority
Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE)
Dirección de Derecho de la Familia
Plaza Juarez, numero 20, piso 17
Colonia Centro, Delegación Cuauhtémoc, 52 55 3686 5100 x 7543
C.P. 06010, México, D.F. Tel: (55) 368665100
Website: http: //www.sre.gob.mx/index.php/oficinas-centrales/direccion-general-de-proteccion-a-mexicanos-en-el-exterior 

Sistema Nacional Para El Desarrollo Integral de la Familia (DIF)
Prol. Xochicalco 947, 1er Piso
Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac
Del Benito Juarez, C.P. 03310
México, D.F. Tel: (55) 3033 2200 x 6131
Website: http://sitios.dif.gob.mx/transparencia/transparencia_focalizada/adopciones/

Embassy of Mexico
Embassy of Mexico
Consular Section
2827 16th Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009-4260
Tel: (202) 736-1000
Website: http: //embamex.sre.gob.mx/eua/
Mexico also has 50 consulates in the United States. A listing of them can be found at the following website: http: //www.sre.gob.mx/index.php/representaciones/consulados-de-mexico-en-el-exterior

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, N.W. SA-17
Washington, D.C. 20522-1707
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
Email: AdoptionUSCA@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

Note: The Mexican Central Authority informed the U.S. Central Authority it does not issue statements of habitual residence.

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 48 Months A
A-2 None Multiple 48 Months A
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
BBBCC None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None One 3 Months
C-3 None One 3 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 12 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 None Multiple 48 Months
F-2 None Multiple 48 Months
F-3 None Multiple 48 Months
G-1 None Multiple 48 Months
G-2 None Multiple 48 Months
G-3 None Multiple 48 Months
G-4 None Multiple 48 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 48 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 48 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 48 Months
M-2 None Multiple 48 Months
M-3 None Multiple 48 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 None Multiple 12 Months
TN None Multiple 12 Months
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

In Mexico the maintenance of public records and the issuance of certificates fall within the jurisdiction of the 31 states and the Distrito Federal (Federal District), which comprise the Republic. An exception applies to military certificates, which are issued by the Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional (Ministry of National Defense) or by the Secretaria de Marina (Ministry of the Navy.)

The rules and regulations regarding the maintenance of public records and the issuance of certificates in the 31 states are similar, with slight modifications to those prevailing in the Federal District. Non-residents are urged to use the Spanish language in their correspondence with Mexican authorities. In order to avoid undue delay, they may also find it advisable, if feasible, to enlist the aid of a resident of Mexico to secure a copy of a public record.

Records of birth, marriages, deaths and divorces are normally recorded in the state capitals and are available from the state Central Civil Registry. Each Central Civil Registry in Mexico can issue birth, death and marriages certificates from other states around the country through the Interconnection Database. The Central Civil Registries are a depository for duplicate copies of documents made at the local registrar in the town, city, or municipality in which the event occurred. In those rare cases where such records are not available, church copies of baptismal and burial certificates are acceptable, as well as certificate of non-existence which can be obtained through the Central Civil Registry. Church marriage certificates are not normally acceptable, as they have no validity in Mexico without a civil ceremony. Frequently a couple will marry in church without the benefit of a civil ceremony.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Birth certificates for births since 1870 are generally available. Births since 1930 have been captured in a central database for most states in Mexico. A letter may be obtained certifying that no record is available, if such is the case (certificate of non-existence). Birth certificates are issued by the appropriate civil registry official. A charge may be made for searching the records.

Civil registries receive delayed birth registrations, based upon the testimony of witnesses. If of recent date, and especially if long delayed, these may be open to question. Baptismal certificates issued by religious authorities are not considered by the Mexican government to be official documents. In cases in which the delay of a birth record raises serious questions regarding identity, however, baptism certificates may be offered as secondary evidence. The most reliable baptism record is a photocopy of the entire page of the baptism book issued under the seal of the parish where the baptism in question is recorded.


Death Certificates


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Acta de Defuncion

Issuing Authority: Civil Registry (Registro Civil)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Seal and signature from Registro Civil, varies by state and by the year when the document was issued.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title Civil Registry Officer (titles may include: Oficial, Coordinador General, Director, or Jefe de Archivo Estatal del Registro Civil)

Registration Criteria:  Presentation of the one of the following:  medical/forensic doctor’s certificate, burial or cremation order or municipal death certificate.  Additional documentation may vary by state.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The procedures for obtaining vary by state.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents:  There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:  None

Comments:   None


Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Acta De Matrimonio

Issuing Authority: Civil Registry (Registro Civil)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Seal and signature from Registro Civil, varies by state and by the year when the document was issued.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Registry Officer (titles may include: Oficial, Coordinador General, Director, or Jefe de Archivo Estatal del Registro Civil)

Registration Criteria: Completion of marriage application, presentation of the couple’s birth certificates and IDs, blood test, witnesses, and some states require completion of a pre-marriage course.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The procedures for obtaining vary by state.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents:  Only civil marriage is legally recognized in Mexico.  A religious ceremony may be considered proof of a bona fide relationship, but it is not legally binding.

Exceptions:  None

Comments: In June 2015, Mexico's Supreme Court declared unconstitutional any law prohibiting same-sex marriage. While the court did not explicitly say that same-sex unions were legal, the decision is seen as having the effect of modifying Mexican states’ civil codes concerning same-sex marriage in Mexico, which may vary from state to state.  We recommend individuals contact specific state governments for up - to - date information.

Currently, same-sex couples may apply for an “acta de convivencia" (cohabitation certificate) from the Civil Registry in Mexico City.  This cohabitation certificate is only available in Mexico City.  Most Mexican states will require a family judge to determine if a common law spouse is entitled to receive benefits after the death of the other spouse.



Divorce Certificates


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Acta de Divorcio

Issuing Authority: Civil Registry (Registro Civil)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Seal and signature from Registro Civil, varies by state and by the year when the document was issued

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Civil Registry Officer (titles may include: Oficial, Coordinador General, Director, or Jefe de Archivo Estatal del Registro Civil)

Registration Criteria:  Presentation of the family court’s decree for registration of this document at the Civil Registry.  Exception, if the married couple is over the age of 18 years old, childless, and is in mutual agreement to divorce, they may file for an administrative divorce at the Civil Registry and no family court decree is necessary.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The procedures for obtaining vary by state.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents: Divorce certificates are available in all states and may be obtained at the Civil Registry Office. Marriage Certificates with an annotation noting divorce are obtainable in some states and are also acceptable proof of marriage termination.  Some states may also make annotations on birth certificates which list the marriages and divorces.

Exceptions:  None

Comments: None

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Adoption Certificates


Document Name:  Adopcion Plena

Issuing Authority:  Family Court

Comments:  “Adopcion simple” is not acceptable for immigrant visa adoptions.  

Identity Card

National ID Cards


Fees:  There are no fees

Document Name:  INE voting card.  Previously known as an IFE voting card issued by the Federal Electoral Institute (Instituto Federal Electoral (“IFE”)).  In 2014 the agency name changed to the National Electoral Institute (Instituto Nacional Electoral (“INE”)).

Issuing Authority: National Electoral Institute (Instituto Nacional Electoral)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Photo ID with biometrics and a hologram

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  National Electoral Institute (Instituto Nacional Electoral)

Registration Criteria:  Mexican nationals over the age of 18 years old are eligible.  Mexican nationals age 17 and over may be eligible during the year of a presidential election.

Procedure for Obtaining:   Present a photo ID, proof of residence and Mexican nationality (such as a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, etc.) at an INE office of Mexican consulate overseas.

Certified Copies Available:  If an INE card is lost, it can be replaced at no cost.

Alternate Documents:  There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:  None

Comments:  Other national IDs are:

  • Professional license card (Cedula Profesional),
  • National Military Service Card,
  • Consular ID card issued at a Mexican consulate (Matrícula Consular),
  • Mexican passport

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Certificates


Fees:  The fees vary by state.

Document Name:  Carta or Certificado de No Antecedentes Penales

Issuing Authority: State Police (Fiscalía General del Estado)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The seals, colors and format vary by state.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   The issuing authority title varies by state.

Registration Criteria:  The registration criteria vary by state.

Procedure for Obtaining: Contact the individual State Police for instructions.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are not available.

Alternate Documents: If the state police record is unavailable, visa applicants must provide a federal record called a “Carta de No Antecedentes Penales” from the Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad. To make the request, applicants must provide the following documentation:

For Mexican Nationals:

  • Mexican Voter ID Card from the Instituto Federal Electoral (original and a copy)
  • Birth Certificate (original and a copy)
  • Proof of residence in Mexico (original and a copy)

For Foreign Nationals:

  • FM2, now called the “tarjeta migratoria”, or passport (original and a copy)
  • Birth certificate translated into Spanish (original and a copy)
  • Proof of residence in Mexico (original and a copy)

If the applicant is not able to make the request in person, a family member can do so in the applicant’s name by taking a power of attorney signed by the interested party to: 

Dirección General de Ejecución de Sanciones, Comisión Nacional de Seguridad

Calzada de Tlalpan No. 2962

Col. Espartaco, Deleg. Coyoacan, C.P. 04870

Mexico City, Mexico

The office is open from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  For inquiries about the process, applicants may call the institution at:  011-52-55-5128-4100 and 011-52-55-5599-2000, exts. 18992, 18993, 18994 y 18733.  

Exceptions:  None

Comments: Versions of the police certificates vary from state to state. Police certificates from the local town halls or cities are unacceptable. In Mexico police certificates are only available for applicants 18 and over.  A police certificate from every state in Mexico is generally not required for an IV application. A single police certificate is sufficient.  Only when an IV applicant has lived in Mexico for six months or more and after the age of 18 is a police certificate required. 

However, consular officers may request a state police certificate where an individual was resident for more than six (months) on a case by cases basis. 


Court Records


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Certified copy of the trial

Issuing Authority: Court which presided over their trial.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Mexican court of arms on each page, usually with a wet stamp in purple or blue ink to demonstrate that it is an original, not a photocopy, printed on legal size paper, and pages are numbered and signed by the court certifier.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Judge who presided over the trial.

Registration Criteria:  The Court keeps copies of all documents used during proceedings.  Once the case is closed the file is stored at the main archive of that court.

Procedure for Obtaining: Applicants or their legal representative must contact the court which presided over their trial.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available. The cost is usually calculated by the number of pages in the file.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions: None

Comments:  None


Prison Records


Fees:  The fees for this document vary by state.

Document Name:  Carta de Liberación (certificate of time served) or Constancia de Salida (certificate of time served).

Issuing Authority: Prison where the sentence was served.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Certificates of time served are usually typed on stationary bearing a faint round seal containing the Mexican coat of arms. The certificate will also bear a rubber stamp seal which includes the coat of arms, date of issue, and issuing entity.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  The issuing authority title varies by prison.

Registration Criteria:  Court decree that indicates time to be served in prison.

Procedure for Obtaining:  The procedures for obtaining vary by state.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies vary by prison.

Alternate Documents:  Yes, court documents from legal proceedings may be presented instead of prison records.  Court documents include the full legal proceedings, in addition to the prison sentence.  Please see the “Court Records” section for more additional information.

Exceptions: None

Comments: None

Military Records

Military Records


Fees:  The first military card is free.  As of September 2017, a replacement is 193 pesos (Approx. $10 USD).

Document Name: Cartilla Militar

Issuing Authority: Ministry of National Defense (Secretaria de la Defensa Nacional) in Mexico City.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  Green cardboard cover with Mexican coat of arms in front.  First page contains biographical information and bearer’s thumb print.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  General of the Recruitment Office

Registration Criteria:  Persons who have served in the military or who have registered for the military and who have lost their records may apply for replacement online or in person at any municipal recruitment office.

Procedure for Obtaining:  See the registration criteria for more information.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents: There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions: None

Comments:  Registration with the military is mandatory for Mexican men over 18 and optional for women.  However, no fines or prison time are imposed if men do not comply. To be registered the applicant must be fingerprinted at the municipal recruitment office and present the following documents: original birth certificate, proof of residence, 4 photos, school diploma and national identification number (“CURP”).


Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Travel Documents

Types Available (Regular, Diplomatic, Official, etc.):  Passport

Fees:  The fees vary depending on passport validity (1, 3, 6, or 10 years)

Document Name:  Mexican Passport

Issuing Government Authority:  Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores (“SRE”).

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  All have the Mexican coat of arms and “Mexico” on the cover.

  • A regular Mexican passport has a green cover,
  • An official passports has a gray cover,
  • Diplomatic passports are black.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Mexican Ministry of Foreign Affairs Officer (Delegado)

Registration Criteria:  Proof of Mexican nationality, which could include a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization, and proof of identity, which could include INE card, school diploma, consular ID, etc.

Procedure for Obtaining:  Present proof of Mexican nationality and identity proof at any SRE office in Mexico or Mexican consulate abroad.

Alternate Documents: Travel Document (Documento de Identidad y Viaje)

Exceptions:  If a person has an outstanding warrant for their arrest, they will not be issued a Mexican passport.

Comments:  Both parents consent is necessary for issuance of the passport to a minor.  A minor’s passport with the code  4.1 means that only one parent was present and a parental authorization form from the absent parent was completed prior to issuance.

Other Documents Available:  Foreigners in Mexico who cannot obtain a travel document from their home country may obtain an Identity and Travel Document (Documento de Identidad y Viaje) from SRE.  It will be a booklet with a red cover and will be valid for six months under the following circumstances:

1.       Foreigners in Mexico who have lost their nationality without acquiring another and consequently, they are considered with undefined nationality or stateless.

2.       Foreigners in Mexico who have a defined nationality that does not have a diplomatic or consular representation (office) that can issue a passport.

3.       Foreigners in Mexico who can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the SRE, that their diplomatic or consular representative refuses to issue a passport.

Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts


Post State Visa Categories
Ciudad Juarez (Consulate General)   Chihuahua    IV and NIV, except E1 visas
Guadalajara (Consulate General)   Jalisco    NIV except E visas
Hermosillo (Consulate)   Sonora    NIV, except E visas
Matamoros (Consulate)   Yucatan    NIV, except E visas
Merida   Yucatan    NIV, except E visas
Mexico, D.F. (Embassy)   Mexico    NIV, except E visas
Monterrey (Consulate General)   Nuevo Leon    NIV, except E2 visas
Nuevo Laredo   Tamaulipas    NIV, except E visas
Nogales   Sonora    NIV, except E visas
Tijuana (Consulate General)   Baja California Norte    NIV,  except E2 visas

Visa Services

Visa Services

All categories of immigrant visas for nationals of Mexico are processed by the consulate in Ciudad Juarez. E2 applicants are reviewed exclusively in Ciudad Juarez.  E1 visa applicants may apply in Monterrey and Tijuana.