CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Italy
Official Country Name: Italian Republic
Country Code 2-Letters: IT
Country Code 3-Letters: ITA
Street: Via Vittorio Veneto, 121 00187 Rome, Italy
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/4033.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Rome
Street Address: Via Vittorio Veneto, 121
00187 Rome, Italy
Phone: +(39) 06-4674-1
Emergency Phone: +(39) 06-4674-1
Fax: +(39) 06-4674-2244
Email: uscitizensrome@state.gov
Web: https://it.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages




Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Must have at least six months validity remaining beyond your planned date of departure from the Schengen area.

Blank Passport Pages:

Two pages required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required for stays under 90 days



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

10,000 Euros or equivalent

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

10,000 Euros or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Rome

Via Vittorio Veneto, 121
00187 Rome, Italy
+(39) 06-4674-1
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(39) 06-4674-1
Fax: +(39) 06-4674-2244

The Rome consular district includes the regions of Lazio, Marche, Umbria, Abruzzo, and Sardegna.


U.S. Mission to the UN Agencies in Rome
Via Boncompagni, 2
(+39) 06-4674-1
Emergency after-hours telephone: (+39) 06-4674-1
Fax: (+39) 06 4674-3535
Email: USUNRome@state.gov

U.S. Embassy to the Holy See
Via Sallustiana, 49
00162 Rome, Italy
+(39) 06-4674-1
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(39) 06-4674-1
Fax: +(39) 06-575-8346

U.S. Consulate General Florence
Lungarno Amerigo Vespucci, 38
50123 Florence, Italy
+(39) 055-266-951
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(39) 06-4674-1
Fax: +(39) 055-215-550
Email: uscitizensflorence@state.gov

The Florence consular district includes the regions of Tuscany and Emilia-Romagna (all except the Provinces of Piacenza and Parma), as well as the Republic of San Marino.

U.S. Consulate General Milan
Via Principe Amedeo 2/10
20121 Milano, Italy
+(39) 02-290-351
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(39) 02-290-351
Fax: +(39) 02-2900-1165
Email: uscitizensmilan@state.gov

The Milan consular district includes the regions of Valle D'Aosta, Piemonte, Lombardia, Veneto, Trentino-Alto Adige, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Liguria, and Emilia-Romagna (Provinces of Piacenza and Parma only).

U.S. Consulate General Naples
Piazza della Repubblica
80122 Naples, Italy
+(39) 081-583-8111
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(39) 081-583-8111
Fax: +(39) 081-583-8275
Email: uscitizensnaples@state.gov
The Naples consular district includes the regions of Campania, Molise, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria, and Sicilia.

U.S. Consular Agent - Palermo 
Via G.B. Vaccarini 1
90143 Palermo
+(39) 091-305-857
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Naples
Fax: +(39) 091-625-6026
Email: uscitizenspalermo@state.gov

Monday through Friday 9:00 AM-12:30 PM by appointment only.

U.S. Consular Agent - Venice
Viale Galileo Galilei 30
30173 Tessera, Italy
+(39) 041-541-5944
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Milan.
Fax: +(39) 041-541-6654
Email: uscitizensvenice@state.gov

Monday through Thursday, 10:00 AM-4:00 PM, by appointment only.

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheets on Italy, the Holy See, and San Marino for additional information.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Italy is a party to the Schengen Agreement. Please visit the Embassy of Italy’s website for the most current visa information.

  • Passports should have at least six months remaining validity beyond your departure date.
  • U.S. citizens may enter Italy for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.  All non-residents are required to complete a declaration of presence (dichiarazione di presenza). Additional information may be obtained from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Polizia di Stato.
  • Non-EU visitors must obtain a stamp in their passport upon initial entry into a Schengen country. Many borders are unstaffed, so you may need to request a stamp at an official point of entry. Travelers arriving from another Schengen country must request the declaration of presence form from a local police office (commissariato di zona), police headquarters (questura), or their place of stay (e.g., hotel, hostel, campgrounds), and submit the form to the police or to their place of stay within eight calendar days of arrival. Failure to complete a declaration of presence is punishable by expulsion from Italy.
  • Prospective residents or anyone intending to stay in Italy for longer than 90 days must obtain a permit of stay (permesso di soggiorno).

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Italy.

Information about dual nationality and prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For general information about Italian customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page and our Italian Customs website.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible near-term attacks in Europe. All European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. In the past year, there have been multiple terrorist attacks in Europe. Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and local government facilities as viable targets. In addition, hotels, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, parks, high-profile events, educational institutions, airports, and other soft targets remain priority locations for possible attacks. U.S. citizens should exercise additional vigilance in these and similar locations.  

Several major earthquake fault lines cross Italy, and earthquakes are frequent. The Italian Civil Protection agency has a robust capability to assist Italians and foreigners in the area of a natural disaster. Information about crisis preparedness and on-going crises affecting parts of Italy can be found on the Civil Protection web site at: Civil Protection Italy. General information about disaster preparedness is also available online from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Detailed information on Italy's fault lines is available from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS).  

Italy also has several active volcanoes, including Mt. Etna in eastern Sicily. Travelers to Sicily should be aware of the possibility for travel disruptions, including airport closures, in the event of volcanic activity, and are advised to check the website of the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia for daily updates. Italy has many other areas of potential volcanic activity especially in the vicinity of Naples. Detailed information on volcano activity in Italy is available from the website of the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia.

Politically motivated violence in Italy is most often connected to Italian internal developments or social issues. Italian authorities and foreign diplomatic facilities have found bombs outside public buildings, have received bomb threats, and have been targets of letter bombs, fire bombs and Molotov cocktails in the past several years. These attacks generally occur at night, and although they have not targeted or injured U.S. citizens, you should remain aware of your surroundings and report any suspicious activity to local authorities.

Demonstrations may have an anti-U.S. character, especially in areas hosting U.S. military bases. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. You should take common sense precautions and follow news reports carefully. Security Messages for U.S. citizens pertaining to demonstrations can be found on the Embassy’s website.

CRIME AND TRAVELERS’ RESPONSIBILITIES: Italy has a moderate rate of crime, especially for theft and economic crimes; violent crimes are rare. U.S. citizens should be aware of the following local circumstances:

  • Tourists can be fined or detained for buying counterfeit goods (usually fashion accessories).
  • Travelers must purchase train, bus or metro tickets and validate them by punching them in validating machines prior to boarding (usually near the entrance of the train or metro  or on the bus). Tickets may be purchased at tobacco stores or kiosks. Failure to follow this procedure may result in an on-the-spot fine by an inspector on the train, bus or metro. If the violator does not pay the fine on the spot, it will automatically double and be forwarded to the violator’s home address.
  • Thieves impersonate police officers. If you are stopped by a plainclothes policeman, ask for a uniformed officer or insist on seeing an officer's identification card (documento). Do not hand over your wallet and immediately report the incident to the actual police at a police station or by dialing 112 from a local phone.
  • Do not leave bags unattended. Most reported thefts occur at crowded tourist sites, at airports, car rental agencies, on public buses, metros and trains, and at the major railway stations. Never leave baggage alone in a car, including in a closed trunk. For more information on trains and security, please see the Italian railway police’s advice for travelers.
  • Be alert to criminal schemes. Organized groups of thieves and pick-pockets operate at major tourist destinations, in train stations, bars, and cafes. Some travelers have reported incidents in which criminals used drugs to assault or rob them. Thieves on motor scooters regularly snatch purses or bags off pedestrians as they ride by. Resisting these thieves can be dangerous.
  • Keep your car doors locked and windows rolled up at all times to avoid carjackings and thefts while you are waiting in traffic.

The U.S. Secret Service in Rome is assisting Italian law enforcement authorities in investigating an increase in the appearance of ATM skimming devices. Here are some helpful hints to protect against and identify skimming devices:

  • Use ATMs located in well-lit public areas or secured inside a bank/business.
  • Cover the keypad with one hand as you enter your PIN.
  • Look for gaps, tampered appearance, or other irregularities between the metal faceplate of the ATM and the card reader.
  • Avoid card readers that are not flush with the face of the ATM.
  • Closely monitor your account statements for unauthorized transactions.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

VICTIMS OF CRIME: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should seek medical attention at the nearest public hospital as soon as possible.

Report crimes to the local police by dialing 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at (+39) 06-4674-1 or after-hours (+39) 06-4674-1.

  • Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local English-speaking attorneys
  • Provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances


You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Your U.S. passport will not prevent you from being detained, arrested, or prosecuted.

Furthermore, some crimes are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or nearest Consulate immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI RIGHTS: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Italy. Same sex civil unions are legally recognized in Italy. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of the Department of State's Human Rights report for further details.

PERSONS WITH MOBILITY ISSUES: The following conditions in Italy may prove challenging for travelers with mobility issues:

  • Narrow, cobbled streets are pervasive in Italy;
  • Many sidewalks lack ramps, and some streets lack sidewalks altogether or, as in Venice, feature stairs and narrow pedestrian bridges;
  • Many hotels and attractions do not have ramps, elevators, or handicap-accessible bathrooms.

Advance planning can go a long way in making a difference in accommodation for travelers with disabilities. We recommend:

  • Inform airlines and hotels of your disability when making reservations to allow them time to prepare accommodations;
  • Call ahead to restaurants, museums, and other facilities to find out if they are wheelchair accessible;

Train stations in Italy have accommodations for those traveling in wheelchairs. With advance notice, a person with a disability can receive personal assistance when traveling through a particular station. More information is available at Trenitalia's website addressing disabled travelers.

Hand-controlled rental cars are available in Italy from major car rental companies. Contact the car rental company well in advance of your trip in order to reserve the vehicle.

Italy functions on 220-volt current. To recharge an electric wheelchair motor, you may need a transformer to convert 220 to 110 volts and a plug adapter to fit Italian electrical sockets.

Guide dog owners must present the documentation required by European Union Member States in order to enter Italy with a dog.

Students: Students are often targeted by criminals as targets of theft or sexual assault. See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES: Strikes and other work stoppages frequently occur in the transportation sector (national airlines, airports, trains, and bus lines); reconfirm any domestic and/or international flight reservations if you are traveling during one of these events.

WOMEN TRAVELER INFORMATION: If you are a woman traveling abroad, please review our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical facilities are available, but may be limited outside urban areas. Public hospitals, though generally free of charge for emergency services, may not maintain the same standards as hospitals in the United States. It is not possible to obtain an itemized hospital bill from public hospitals, as required by many U.S. insurance companies, because the Italian National Health Service charges one inclusive rate for care services and room and board. Private hospitals require you to pay for all services up front, and get reimbursed later from your insurance company.

  • The U.S. Embassy or its Consulates General do not pay medical bills.
  • Medicare does not apply overseas.
  • Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. See our webpage for more  information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.
  • We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.
  • Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.
  • In Italy, end-of-life directives are not legal. Tourists should know that by law, hospitals will continue with lifesaving procedures indefinitely regardless of a person’ preferences stated in a will or advanced directive.

Prescription Medications: The Italian Ministry of Health sets rules defining who and how prescriptions and medications can be imported into Italy. However, the Ministry of Health website does not have information in English. According to the Ministry of Health, foreigners entering Italy are allowed to bring personal medications for the whole period of their stay but it is recommended that travelers also bring a copy of their prescription with them. Travelers should not bring excess supplies of prescription drugs into the country and cannot bring prescription drugs for other people.

The import of medications into Italy by courier services or by mail is strictly regulated by Italian Customs laws. Italian customs clears all incoming shipments of medications, even small amounts for personal use, and will allow them to clear customs only upon presentation from the receiving party of a statement signed by a physician licensed in Italy, certifying:

  1. That the medication is essential for the patient, that he/she would be put in a life-threatening situation without it.
  2. That there is no substitute or equivalent medication available on the Italian market.

Delays in the release of medications by Italian Customs received by mail or by courier services are common.

In parts of southern Italy, the lack of adequate trash disposal and incineration sites has led to periodic accumulations of garbage in urban and rural areas. In some cases, residents have burned garbage, resulting in toxic emissions that can aggravate respiratory problems.

For further health information, go to:

Travel & Transportation

TRAFFIC SAFETY AND ROAD CONDITIONS: While in Italy, you may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States such as:

  • Traffic lights are limited and often disobeyed.
  • Motor scooters are very popular, and their riders may behave unexpectedly.
  • Drivers frequently pass on superhighways (autostrada) at very high speeds.
  • Rural roads are generally narrow, often have no guardrails, and inconsistent speed limits.
  • Seat belt use is compulsory.
  • You must use headlights year-round and at all times outside of urban areas.
  • If you are stopped, under certain conditions you are expected to pay the police officer issuing the ticket immediately. Be prepared to pay in cash in local currency. Local police can confiscate your car if you cannot pay the fine.
  • Be careful when crossing streets even when using a marked crosswalk with a green walk (avanti) light illuminated.
  • Fines are imposed if driving without the proper permits in historic downtown areas of cities and towns throughout Italy. Cameras photograph the license plates of cars illegally driving in parts of the city that require a permit. The fines imposed for these violations are forwarded to the driver’s home in the United States to request payment. For definitive legal guidance or to contest a fine, you should consult a lawyer licensed to practice in Italy. See the U.S. Embassy of Rome’s transportation page for more information.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. Also, we suggest that you visit the website of the Automobile Club d’Italia (A.C.I.). For information on obtaining international drivers licenses, contact the American Automobile Association (AAA) via telephone at (407) 444-7000 or fax (407) 444-7380.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Italy’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Italy’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Italy should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 612-4450; Fax (202) 518-2141

Boston, MA

Telephone (617) 722-9201, (617) 722-9202, (617) 722-9203; Fax (617) 722-9407

Chicago, IL

Telephone (312) 467-1550; Fax (312) 467-1335

Detroit, MI

Telephone (313) 963-8560; Fax (313) 963-8180

Houston, TX

Telephone (713) 850-7520; Fax (713) 850-9113

Los Angeles, CA

Telephone (310) 820-0622, (310) 826-6207; Fax (310) 820-0727

Miami, FL

Telephone (305) 374-6322; Fax (305) 374-7945

New York, NY

Telephone (212) 737-9100; Fax (212) 249-4945

Philadelphia, PA

Telephone (215) 592-7329; Fax (215) 592-9808

San Francisco, CA

Telephone (415) 292-9200; Fax (415) 931-7205

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Italy and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction Convention (Hague Abduction Convention) since May 1, 1995.

For information concerning travel to Italy, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Italy.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention. In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizen Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Italy. Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone: 1-888-407-4747
Email: askci@state.gov
Website: travel.state.gov

The Italian Central Authority (ICA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministero della Giustizia. The ICA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications. The ICA forwards completed Hague applications to the appropriate Public Prosecutor attached to the civil court of general jurisdiction in the jurisdiction where the defendant resides. The Prosecutor brings the case on behalf of Italy. 

The ICA can be reached at:

Ministero della Giustizia
Dipartimento per la Giustizia Minorile
Via Damiano Chiesa No 24
00136 Rome
Email: autoritacentrali.dgm@giustizia.it

  • To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Italy, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the ICA. It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into Italian.  Please note, however, that certified translations are not necessary.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the ICA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

  • There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the U.S. or Italian central authorities. Attorney fees, if necessary, are the responsibility of the applicant parent. Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Italy. The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Italy. The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country. The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Parents or legal guardians are not required to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application with a court in Italy. The ICA assigns a legal representative to present the case to the court. However, the legal representative does not represent the left-behind parent or the legal guardian who submitted the Hague Abduction Convention application; instead, the legal representative represents Italy and submits the request for return on behalf of the Italian Minister of Justice.

Parents or legal guardians have the option to hire a private attorney at their own expense in Italy to join the state-appointed legal representative in presenting the Hague Abduction Convention case. A privately hired attorney should contact the ICA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed with the ICA.

The U.S. Embassy in RomeItaly, posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The USCA is not aware of any government or private organizations in Italy that offer mediation services in either abduction or access cases.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Italy is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Italy.

Italy is not generally considered a country of origin in intercountry adoption. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in rare adoption cases from Italy, including adoptions of Italian children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by U.S. citizens living in Italy.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Italy, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to the U.S. requirements, Italy requires prospective adoptive parents to meet the following requirements in order to adopt a child from Italy:

  • Residency: Prospective adoptive parents must legally reside in Italy.
  • Age of Adopting Parents: Adoptive parents must be at least eighteen years old and no more than forty-five years over the age of the adoptee.
  • Marriage: Only married couples may adopt. The couple must have been married for at least three years (without separation during the three-year period prior to the adoption) and must reside in Italy. Single persons can only adopt in very limited circumstances. Same-sex couples cannot adopt in Italy.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Italy is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Italy must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the adoption may take place only if the competent authorities of Italy have determined that placement of the child within Italy has been given due consideration and that an intercountry adoption is in the child’s best interests. In addition to Italy’s requirements, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee to be eligible for an immigrant visa that will allow you to bring him or her to the United States.


  • Relinquishment: The judge can terminate the parental custody when the parent violates or neglects his/her parental duties or abuses his/her powers, with serious prejudice to the child. For serious reasons, the judge can order the removal of either the child or the parent, who mistreats or abuses the minor, from the family’s residence.
  • Abandonment: In order to be declared “adoptable,” the child must be in a state of abandonment, meaning that the child is unable to live with his or her own family. The minor who is deprived of moral and material assistance by the parents or relatives, who are considered responsible for his or her support, is considered abandoned.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: Children age 14 and older can only be adopted if they personally consent to the adoption.
  • Sibling Adoptions: Prospective adoptive parents are allowed to apply for adoption of more than one child, including siblings. Under Italian law and procedures, it is considered preferential criteria for the adoption if prospective adoptive parents have already adopted a sibling or if they apply for the adoption of siblings at the same time.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: There are no specific legal requirements. The ability of the prospective parents to provide for a particular child’s needs is assessed during the adoption process.
  • Waiting Period: Up to three years
  • Foster Care: There is a fostering period of one year which can be extended to two years. During that period, the local Juvenile Court monitors and provides support to the prospective adoptive parents. At the end of the fostering period, the Juvenile Court either confirms or denies the adoption. Prospective adoptive parent(s) generally should plan to remain in Italy for the fostering period.

    In certain circumstances a child may be placed by the Italian authorities with relatives who live abroad under a fostering arrangement prior to possible adoption. In these cases, if the child’s legal custodians wish to travel to the United States with the child then they may apply at the U.S. Embassy in Rome, or one of the U.S. Consulates General in Italy, for a B-2 non-immigrant visa for the child to travel to the United States during the pre-adoptive care period.

    Note: U.S. immigration law applies to the issuance of non-immigrant visas. There is no guarantee that the child will qualify for a non-immigrant visa, nor is it advisable for the child to travel under the Visa Waiver Program (ESTA) during the pre-adoptive care period. In order to be eligible for a non-immigrant B-2 visa or travel under the Visa Waiver Program, the child must have a residence abroad that he or she has no intention of abandoning and cannot be an intending immigrant who is coming to live permanently in the United States.

How To Adopt

WARNING: Italy isparty to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Italy before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter” in the case. Read on for more information.

Italy’s Adoption Authority
Commissione per le Adozioni Internazionali (Commission for Intercountry Adoption)

Note: City Juvenile Courts oversee the handling of adoption cases. For a complete listing of these courts, prospective adoptive parents should visit the following website.


Because Italy is party to The Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Italy must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements. Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

Note: The following information refers to the process of adopting from Italy as country of origin. It would be used only in rare intercountry adoption cases from Italy to the United States.

For residents of Italy who wish to adopt a child and remain in Italy, the process is different. Persons wishing to adopt a child while living in Italy should contact the adoption authority for more specific information about that process.

  1. Choose a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child by authorities in Italy 
  4. Apply to USCIS for the child to be found eligible for immigration to the United States and receive U.S. agreement to proceed with the adoption
  5. Adopt (or Gain Legal Custody of child in Italy).
  6. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home

1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider

The recommended first step in adopting a child from Italy is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited or approved to provide services to U.S. citizens in Convention cases. Only accredited or approved adoption services providers may provide adoption services between the United States and Italy. The U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider will act as the primary provider in your case. The primary adoption service provider is responsible for ensuring that all adoption services in the case are done in accordance with The Hague Adoption Convention and U.S. laws and regulations. Learn more about Agency Accreditation.

2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Eligible to Adopt

After you choose an accredited or approved adoption service provider, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt by the responsible U.S. government agency, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), by submitting Form I-800A. Read more about Eligibility Requirements.

Once USCIS determines that you are “eligible” and “suited” to adopt by approving the Form I-800A, your adoption service provider will provide your approval notice, home study, and any other required information to the adoption authority in Italy as part of your adoption dossier. Italy’s adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Italian law.

3. Be Matched with a Child in Italy

If both the United States and Italy determine that you are eligible to adopt, and the central authority for Convention adoptions has determined that a child is available for adoption and that intercountry adoption is in that child’s best interests, the central authority for Convention adoptions in Italy may provide you with a referral for a child. The referral is a proposed match between you and a specific child based on a review of your dossier and the needs of a specific child in Italy. The adoption authority in Italy will provide a background study and other information, if available, about the child to help you decide whether to accept the referral or not. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs and provide a permanent home for a particular child. If you accept the referral, the adoption service provider communicates that to the adoption authority in Italy. Learn more about this critical decision.

4. Apply to USCIS for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States and Receive U.S. Agreement to Proceed with the Adoption

After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval for the child to immigrate to the United States (Form I-800). USCIS will make a provisional determination as to whether the child meets the definition of a Convention Adoptee and will be eligible to enter the United States and reside permanently as an immigrant.

After provisional approval of Form I-800, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application to the Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Naples, Italy, that is responsible for issuing immigrant visas to children from Italy. A consular officer will review the Form I-800 and the visa application for possible visa ineligibilities and advise you of options for the waiver of any noted ineligibilities.

WARNING: The consular officer will send a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Italian Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Italy where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States. This letter will inform the Italian Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Italy before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember: The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

5. Adopt or Gain Legal Custody of Child in Italy

Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Italy, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Italy.

The process for finalizing the adoption or gaining legal custody in Italy generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority:  

    a) to collect, preserve and exchange information about the situation of the child and the prospective adoptive parents, so far as is necessary to complete the adoption;
    b) to facilitate, follow and expedite proceedings with a view to obtaining the adoption;
    c) promote the development of adoption counseling and post-adoption services in their States;
    d) to provide each other with general evaluation reports about experience with intercountry adoption;
    e) to reply, in so far as is permitted by the law of their State, to justified requests from other Central Authorities or public authorities for information about a particular adoption situation.

  • Role of the Court: City Juvenile Courts oversee the handling of adoption cases.

    Prospective adoptive parents start the adoption procedure by submitting a request called “Dicharazione alla Disponabilità per l’Adozione” (Declaration of Willingness to Adopt) to the Juvenile Court in the city of their choice. Prospective adoption parents can submit more than one request to Juvenile Courts in various cities as long as all of the Juvenile Courts are aware of all of the requests made.

    Based on the information provided by the prospective adoptive parents, the Juvenile Court selects the child that better matches the prospective adoptive parents. There are no further details on how the child is selected by the Juvenile Court.

    As noted above, there is a fostering period of one year which can be extended to two years. During that period, the local Juvenile Court monitors and provides support to the prospective adoptive parents. At the end of the fostering period, the Juvenile Court either confirms or revokes the adoption.

    The Court will request the intervention of the local social services agency to assist and evaluate the couple, prepare a home study, and report the findings to the Court. The Juvenile Court can also appoint a judge and/or a team of specialists, who will hold meetings with the prospective adoptive parents in order to evaluate them and/or to provide additional information.

  • Role of Adoption Agencies: The appointed local social services agency will then conduct a study on the prospective adoptive parents in order to evaluate their capacity to bring up the minor, their personal economic situation, their personal health conditions, the family environment, and the motivation of their request.
  • Adoption Application: See discussion of request called “Dicharazione alla Disponabilità per l’Adozione” (Declaration of Willingness to Adopt) in “ROLE OF THE COURT” above.
  • Time Frame: An adoption in Italy can take up to three years from the time the application is filed with the juvenile court until the child is in the new family’s home and the adoption is finalized.
  • Adoption Fees: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.  

    In Italy, national adoption services are free of charge.

  • Documents Required:

    The Declaration of Willingness to Adopt should be accompanied by the following documents:

    • Birth Certificates of the prospective adoptive parents;
    • Registry Office certificate (“Stato di Famiglia”);
    • Declaration of consent to adopt by the prospective adoptive parents’ parents, given in the form of an affidavit or, should they be deceased, death certificate(s) of adoptive parents’ parents;
    • Medical certificate issued by family doctor;
    • Evidence of economic means (i.e. tax returns; pay stubs);
    • Criminal record of adoptive parents;
    • Notarial act, or equivalent declaration, attesting that there is neither legal nor de facto separation between the adoptive couple.

      No documentation about the child/ren is required.

    • Note: Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents: The United States and Italy are parties to the Hague Apostille Convention. U.S. public documents may be authenticated with Apostilles by the appropriate U.S. Competent Authority.

6. Obtain an Immigrant Visa for your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child for the purpose of adopting the child in the United States), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate

If you have finalized the adoption in Italy, you will firstneed to apply for a birth certificate for your child so that you can later apply for a passport.

After the pre-adoptive custody period, the Juvenile Court can either confirm or revoke the adoption. If the adoption is confirmed, the Juvenile Court issues the final adoption decree and notifies the vital records office of the local City Hall. At that point, the child’s birth certificate is changed and will reflect the new family name. Adoptive parents can apply for the child’s birth certificate at the local City Hall.

Italian Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Italy.

Once the birth certificate reports the new family name, the adoptive parents can apply for a passport on behalf of the adopted child.  Adoptive parents can submit their child’s application at the local police station. An Italian passport valid for the U.S. will be issued to the minor. Information and forms are available at poliziadistato.it/articolo/1087-Passaporto.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to finalize your application for a U.S. visa for your child from the U.S. Consulate General in Naples, Italy. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S. Consulate General for final review of the case, issuance of a U.S. Hague Adoption Certificate or Hague Custody Certificate, final approval of Form I-800, and to obtain your child’s immigrant visa.  This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the “Panel Physician’s” medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Read more about the Medical Examination.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting. Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Italy 
In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. To find information about obtaining a visa for Italy, see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip
Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip
When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Italy, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

Italy has no requirements for the adoptive parents after the adoption is finalized.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Rome, Italy
Via Vittorio Veneto 121 - 00187 ROMA
Tel: (switchboard): (+39) 06.46741
Fax: (+39) 06.4674.2244
Email: uscitizensrome@state.gov
Internet: https://it.usembassy.gov/

U.S. Consulate General Naples 
Piazza della Repubblica - 80122 NAPOLI
Tel: (switchboard): (+39) 081.583.8111
Internet: https://it.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/naples/

The United States also has Consulates General in: Florence and Milan 

Italy’s Adoption Authority
Commissione per le Adozioni Internazionali
(Commission for Intercountry Adoption)
Largo Chigi, 19
00187 ROMA
Tel: +39 (06) 6779 2060 / 66 / 68
Fax: +39 (06) 6779 2165
Email: cai.segreteria-enti@palazzochigi.it
Internet:  commissioneadozioni.it  

Note: City Juvenile Courts oversee the handling of adoption cases. For a complete listing of these courts, prospective adoptive parents should visit the following website: commissioneadozioni.it/en/the-institutional-actors/the-juvenile-courts.aspx

Embassy of Italy
Address: 3000 Whitehaven Street, NW, Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 612-4400
Fax: (202) 518-2151
Internet: ambwashingtondc.esteri.it/ambasciata_washington

Italy also has consulates in: Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark, New York, Philadelphia, and San Francisco

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20520
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
Email: AdoptionUSCA@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 120 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 1 None Multiple 12 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. The Certificato (or Estratto) di Nascita is an extract of the report of birth that provides the date and place of birth. It can be obtained from the Office of Vital Statistics (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where the applicant was born. Parents' names have not been included in Italian birth, marriage, citizenship, and family status certificates since 1955. To request a birth certificate including the parent's names, the applicant should apply to the Office of Vital Statistics, citing Article 3 of Presidential Decree of May 2, 1957 (No. 432) "...ai sensi dell'art. 3 Decreto Presidente della Republica 2 Maggio 1957."

The Atto Integrale di Nascita is a more complete document than the Certificato or Estratto di Nascita. In addition to the date of birth, it contains current information regarding the subject's civil status, such as the subsequent legitimation of a child, recognition by the natural parents, adoption, marriage, annulment of marriage, or death of a spouse. This document should ordinarily only be required to verify the legitimation of birth or adoption of a child. The Atto Integrale di Nascita can be obtained only after receipt of special authorization from the Procura Della Republica of the judicial district where the applicant was born.

Death Certificates

Available. (Certificato di Morte) Issued by the Office of Vital Statistics (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where the applicant was born or lived.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Decrees

Available. (Certificato di Matrimonio) Issued by the Office of Vital Statistics (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where the person was born or resides. For those born outside of Italy it is issued by the Office of Vital Statistics of either the town where the marriage was performed or the town where the foreign birth of the person was recorded.

Same-sex marriages are not recognized.

Divorce Certificates

Available. A Divorce Decree (Decreto di Divorzio) is issued by the town where the divorce was registered. Prior to 1974 only annulments or legal separations were granted by the Republic of Italy. Divorce has been legal since that date. A notation of divorce may be included on a birth or marriage certificate.

Certificate of Single Status

Available. (Certificato di Stato Libero) This document certifies the single status of persons who are of legal age to marry (18 or over). It is available from the Office of Vital Statistics (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where the applicant was born or resides.

Certificate of Widow or Widower Status

Available. (Certificato di Vidovanza) Issued by the Office of Vital Statistics (Ufficio di Stato Civile) of the town where the applicant was born or resides.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Adoption Certificates

Available. An Adoption Decree (Decreto di Adozione) may be obtained through the Juvenile Court (Tribunale dei Minorenni) of the district where the adoption took place.

Note: Because of wartime destruction of church and state archives, it is impossible to obtain pre-war documents. Substitutes for birth and marriage certificates are authorized by the Italian Civil Code in the form of affidavits (Atti di Notorieta) sworn by four witnesses before the Lower Court (Pretura) of the district in which the interested person resides or was born.

Individuals who emigrated to work abroad and those who emigrated to join the head of the family may receive the following documents without charge. (For others, there may be a fee.)

  1. Birth Certificate
  2. Marriage Certificate
  3. Certificate of Single Status
  4. Record of Family Status
  5. Death Certificate
  6. Certificate of Widow or Widower Status
  7. Penal Certificate
  8. General Penal Certificate
  9. Record of Changes pending before the Procura
  10. Record of Charges pending before the Pretura
  11. Military Record.

It is simpler for those who do not live in Italy to apply for the documents they need through a family member who resides in Italy, or through the mayor of the town in which they were born. Former residents who are not Italian nationals may apply through the nearest Italian consulate or through the consulate of their country.

Processing time for the above documents is approximately one month, exclusive of mailing time, which is erratic.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. The Certificato Generale del Casellario Giudiziale is a certified national record of final court convictions and decisions regarding mental incompetency and bankruptcy or a statement that no such record exists (Nulla).The Certificato dei Carichi Pendenti is a certified record of pending criminal charges, or a statement that no such charges exist, from the office of the Procura della Repubblica in the applicant's place of residence. Both certificates are required from immigrant visa applicants residing in Italy.

Persons within Italy can obtain the Casellario Giudiziale by applying in person or by mail at any office of the Procura della Repubblica. The Carichi Pendenti must be obtained at the Procura della Repubblica in the area that the applicant resides. Such offices are located in all major cities and in many small cities and large towns. Those who apply in person must submit a written request, a photocopy of a photo ID and all fees; the certificates are usually provided the day of the request.

Persons outside of Italy can obtain the Casellario Giudiziale by writing to:

Ufficio del Casellario Giudiziale della Procura della Repubblica
Piazzale Clodio
00195 Rome (RM) Italia

Persons outside of Italy can obtain the Carichi Pendenti by writing to:

Procura della Repubblica presso il Tribunale di ROMA
Piazzale Clodio
00195 ROMA (RM) Italia

Those requesting the certificate by mail, whether from within or outside Italy, must submit a written request, a photocopy of a photo i.d., and all fees, along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Mail requests are normally processed within three working days. Information concerning fees and application procedures is available from any office of the Procura della Repubblica or online at http://www.giustizia.it.

Record of Conviction

Available. If the person has been arrested and tried, he/she and/or his/her representative may request a copy of the sentence in person or by mail from the court where the trial took place.

Prison Records

Not available except as incorporated in the police record.

Military Records

Available. The Foglio Matricolare is the usual record of military service. It gives complete details regarding military service, including convictions before court martials. Officers are issued the Stato di Servizio that contains more complete information than the Congedo Illimitato that is merely a discharge certificate. Military records may not be available to those who have not reported to their military district after leaving Italy. There is an fee for this service.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Travel Document (Titre de Voyage) which has a gray cover is issued to refugees granted permanent asylum in Italy on the basis of the Geneva Convention of February 28, 1951. Travel document (Titre de Voyage) which has a green cover is a courtesy travel document issued to those other than refugees, usually stateless persons, who for any reason cannot obtain a passport from their government. Both documents are valid for one year and may be renewed annually if the bearer maintains the same status. Documents must contain an Italian reentry visa stamp whenever the bearer travels abroad. Both of these documents are considered to meet the passport requirements of the INA.

Italy began issuing machine-readable passports (MRP) in January of 1998. Only a limited amount of Italian embassies and consular offices issued the MRP the first year. The Italian Government is incrementally updating their posts to issue machine-readable passports. The old Italian passports were issued initially for a period of five years, and were able to be renewed for five more. Therefore, it will be at least ten years until the old-style passport ceases to exist in volume.

Other Records

Record of Family Status

Available. (Stato di Famiglia) Contains the names, dates and places of birth, marital status, and sometimes the occupations of the immediate family.

Visa Issuing Posts

Rome, Italy (Embassy) - Nonimmigrant Visas only

Mailing Address:
American Embassy 
Unit 9500, Box 18

Street Address:
Via Veneto, 121 – 00187 ROMA

Tel: (24 hours):(39) 06-46741

Fax: (39) 06-4674-2722

Florence, Italy (Consulate General) - Nonimmigrant Visas only

Mailing Address:
Lungarno Vespucci, 38 - 50123 FIRENZE

Tel: (39) 055-266-951

Fax: (39) 055-215-550

Milan, Italy (Consulate General) -- Nonimmigrant Visas only

Mailing Address:
American Consulate General
Unit 5690 – Box 60
DPO AE 09624-0060

Street Address:
Via Principe Amedeo 2/10

Tel: (39) 02-290-351 

Naples, Italy (Consulate General) -- Immigrant and Nonimmigrant Visas

Mailing Address:
Box 18 PSC 810
FPO AE 09613-5700

Street Address:
Piazza della Repubblica– 80122 NAPOLI

Tel: 8AM to 5PM - 39-081-583-8111 (Monday through Friday).

Fax: (39) (081) 583-8275

Visa Services

All immigrant visas for Italy and San Marino are issued by the American Consulate General in Naples. Post jurisdictions for nonimmigrant visa issuances are set forth below:

Agrigento Naples
Alessandria Milan
Ancona Rome
Arezzo Florence
Ascoli Piceno Rome
Asti Milan
Avellino Naples
Bari Naples
Belluno Milan
Benevento Naples
Bergamo Milan
Bologna Florence
Bolzano Milan
Brescia Milan
Brindisi Naples
Cagliari (Sardinia) Rome
Caltanissetta Naples
Campobasso Naples
Caserta Naples
Catania Naples
Catanzaro Naples
Chieti Rome
Como Milan
Cosenza Naples
Cremona Milan
Cuneo Milan
Enna Florence
Ferrara Florence
Firenze (Florence) Florence
Foggia Naples
Forli Florence
Frosinone Rome
Genova (Genoa) Milan
Gorizia Milan
Grosseto Florence
Imperia Milan
Isernia Naples
L'Aquila Rome
La Spezia Milan
Latina Rome
Lecce Naples
Livorno (Leghorn) Florence
Lucca Florence
Macerata Rome
Massa Carrara Florence
Mantova Milan
Matera Naples
Messina Naples
Milano(Milan) Milan
Molise Naples
Modena Florence
Napoli (Naples) Naples
Novara Milan
Nuoro Oristano (Sardinia) Rome
Padova (Padua) Milan
Parma Milan
Palermo Naples
Pavia Milan
Perugia Rome
Pesaro e Urbino Rome
Pescara Rome
Piacenza Milan
Pisa Florence
Pistoia Florence
Pordenone Milan
Potenza Naples
Ragusa Naples
Ravenna Florence
Reggio Calabria Naples
Reggio Emila Florence
Rieti Rome
Roma (Rome) Rome
Rovigo Milan
Salerno Naples
San Marino, Republic of Florence
Sardegna (Sardinia), Island of Rome
Sassari (Sardinia) Naples
Savona Milan
Sicilia (Sicily),Island of Naples
Siena Florence
Siracusa Naples
Sondrio Milan
Taranto Naples
Teramo Rome
Terni Rome
Torino (Turin) Milan
Trapani Naples
Trento Milan
Treviso Milan
Trieste Milan
Udine Milan
Valle D'Aosta Milan
Varese Milan
Venezia (Venice) Milan
Vercelli Milan
Verona Milan
Vicenza Milan
Viterbo Rome