CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Guyana
Official Country Name: Co-operative Republic of Guyana
Country Code 2-Letters: GY
Country Code 3-Letters: GUY
Street: 100 Young & Duke Streets Georgetown, Guyana
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1984.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Georgetown
Street Address: 100 Young and Duke Streets
Georgetown, Guyana
Phone: +(592) 225-4900/9
Emergency Phone: +(592) 623-1992
Fax: +(592) 225-8497
Email: acsgeorge@state.gov
Web: https://gy.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Six Months

Blank Passport Pages:

One page for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:




Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Georgetown

100 Young & Duke Streets
Georgetown, Guyana
+(592) 225-4900/9
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(592) 623-1992
Fax: (592)-225-8497

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Guyana for information on U.S.-Guyana relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Guyana website and the Ministry of Home Affairs website for the most current visa information.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Guyana.

Information about dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs information can be found on our websites. 

Safety and Security

U.S. citizens should remain alert and exercise particular caution in the neighborhoods of Agricola, Buxton, Stabroek, and Bourda; in and around the National Park; and along the sea wall due to criminal activity. U.S. citizens are advised to avoid walking in Georgetown alone and after dark.

Crime: Criminal activity, including murder and armed robbery, is common in Guyana. Armed robberies can occur in businesses, shopping districts, and in hotels. If you are staying in a hotel, use caution when opening the room doors and keep all valuables in the hotel safe.

Petty crimes such as pick pocketing, purse snatching, assault, and robbery can occur in all areas of Georgetown, particularly, in the general area of Stabroek Market and behind Bourda Market. Safeguard your personal property when shopping in these markets.

While local law enforcement authorities are cooperative, they lack the resources to respond effectively to serious criminal incidents. U.S. citizens who are victims of crime should contact the local police and the U.S. Embassy in Georgetown.

Do not buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. These goods are illegal in the United States and cannot be brought into the country.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should contact the local police and the U.S. Embassy in Georgetown.

Report crimes to the local police at + (592)-225-2700, 226-4585 or + (592)-227-6123, and contact the U.S. Embassy at + (592)-225-4900/9. The local equivalent to the "911" emergency line in Guyana is 911.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: The Constitution of Guyana defines marriage as a legal union between a man and a woman. There is no legal protection from discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity under Guyanese law.

Consensual same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Guyana for men, and it is not uncommon for the local police to use the law to intimidate men who are gay or perceived to be gay. There are no laws concerning same-sex sexual relations between women. Crossdressing is also illegal if done “for an improper purpose.” While this clause has not explicitly been defined by legislation or judicial decisions, the common understanding is that it refers to prostitution.  

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and Section 6 of our Human Rights Report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: The Guyana Constitution mandates the state to take measures to protect persons with disabilities, but there is no law that mandates provision of access for such persons. There is also a lack of appropriate infrastructure that provides access to both public and private facilities.

Illegal Drugs: Travelers to the United States from Guyana have found narcotics planted in their luggage, both in bags registered under their names and in items they were carrying for others. U.S. citizens should carry items that are personally purchased and packed, and ensure that no additional bags are registered in their name. Drug laws in Guyana are strict, pre-trial detention can last for years, and final sentences are lengthy.

Drinking Water: The water supply system throughout Guyana may be contaminated. U.S. citizens should treat or boil water before consumption, or purchase bottled water.

Changing Currency and Credit Card Use: Credit cards are only accepted in limited locations in Georgetown. Stolen PIN data is common when credit cards or ATM cards are used. U.S. citizens should only exchange currency with banks, hotels, or licensed money exchange houses (“cambios”). 

Firearms: Visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site for information on importing firearms into the United States.

Wildlife: Many plants and animals in Guyana are globally threatened or are endangered species protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). An export permit is required by the Guyana Ministry of Agriculture in order to take an exotic animal or plant out of Guyana, and an import permit is required by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in order to bring an exotic animal or plant into the United States.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical care in Guyana is sparse, low in quality, and inconsistent. Emergency care and hospitalization for major medical illnesses or surgery are limited due to lack of trained specialists and poor sanitation.

Ambulance service is limited to transportation without any medical care and is frequently not available for emergencies. In the event of an emergency, the number for an ambulance is 913, but this number is not always operational and an ambulance may not be available.

Travelers should carry and use CDC recommended insect repellents containing either 20 percent DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or IR3535, which will help diminish bites from mosquitoes as well as ticks, fleas, chiggers, etc., some of which may also carry infectious diseases. 

HIV/AIDS: The HIV epidemic is disproportionate, with an elevated burden of disease among high risk populations such as commercial sex workers, men who have sex with men, and transgender persons. In addition, HIV continues to affect the productive sector of the population, with the highest number of reported HIV cases among persons 25-49 years old.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with medication, check with the Government of Guyana to ensure the medication is legal in Guyana. Always, carry your medication in original packaging and/or with your doctor’s prescription.

The following diseases are prevelant:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Road conditions in Guyana differ significantly than those in the United States. U.S. citizens should exercise caution when driving in Guyana and avoid driving after dark. If an accident occurs, call 911 for the police and 913 for an ambulance. U.S. citizens are reminded that these numbers may not always be operational, that the police may be slow to respond, and an ambulance may not always be available.

For more information about traveling in Guyana, visit the Traffic Division of Guyana's National Police Force website.

Air Travel: Airlines typically operate based on demand and can, therefore, delay, reroute, or cancel flights without notice. U.S. citizens should carry medication, valuables, and perishables in carry on lugguage.

Travel in the Interior: The interior of Guyana is underpoliced, emergency services are generally not available, and there is no cellular phone reception in many places. Travelers visiting the interior should consider bringing their own safety gear, such as life jackets, first aid kits, and communications equipment, e.g., satellite phone.

Traffic Laws: The use of seatbelts is required by law. There are no laws concerning the use of child car seats. Anyone on a motorcycle must wear a protective helmet. Talking on the cellular telephone while driving without using a hands-free set is illegal.

Public Transportation: U.S. government personnel are prohibited from using mini buses due to several fatal accidents in recent years. While bandits are known to attack taxis, taxis are generally safer to use to get around town and also to/from the airport. U.S. government personnel may use taxis, but are restricted from taking taxis to/from the airport between 11:30 p.m. and dawn. U.S. citizens should use taxis that are connected to major hotels or are painted yellow, which are registered with the Government of Guyana's licensing office.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Guyana’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Guyana, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Guyana’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 265-6900 (202) 232-1297

New York, NY (212) 947-5110 (212) 947-5111 (646) 915-0237

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Guyana, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Guyana. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Guyana is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Guyana and the United States concerning international parental child abduction. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parental abduction is a crime in Guyana.  The Government of Guyana does not maintain a website specifically regarding custody, family law and visitation.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Guyana and who can provide legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance. 

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State 
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor 
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 202-485-6221
Website:  travel.state.gov
Email: AskCI@state.gov


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Guyana and who can provide legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.  Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the U.S. Embassy in Georgetown, Guyana for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy of Guyana are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy of Guyana posts a list of attorneys who have identified themselves as willing to represent U.S. citizens. 

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


In Guyana, informal mediation regarding family and child welfare is offered by the Social Welfare Division of the Ministry of Social Services, Community Development and Gender Affairs.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Guyana is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, when the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for the United States on April 1, 2008, intercountry adoption processing for Guyana did not change.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Guyana, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

To bring an adopted child to United States from Guyana, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. government. The U.S. government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for adoptive parents, Guyana also has the following requirements for adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Prospective adoptive parents (PAPs) must travel to Guyana at least twice: once to file the application for adoption and meet with the Child Protection Agency (CCPA), and again during the pre-adoption placement bonding period and subsequent Guyanese Court proceeding (which can last at least three months). The High court may waive the requirement of the pre-adoption placement bonding period if the prospective adoptive parents are Guyanese nationals adopting a relative.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: Any person 18 to 65 years old can apply to adopt a child in Guyana as long as the minimum age gap between adoptive parents and child is 17-years and the maximum age gap is 50 years.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: Both married and single individuals can adopt in Guyana.
  • INCOME REQUIREMENTS: Prospective adoptive parents must prove financial stability.
  • OTHER REQUIREMENTS: While there are no specific medical ineligibilities, each potential adoption is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Prospective adoptive parents’ medical conditions may factor into that evaluation. There are no laws barring lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgendered, or intersex individuals from adopting in Guyana. However, same sex marriage is not permitted in Guyana.

Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must meet the following requirements imposed by Guyana:

  • Relinquishment: Birth parents or guardians of a child may relinquish a child for adoption. Consent of each birth parent or guardian of the child is required. In addition, every person who has been ordered by a court to maintain the child or who has entered into an agreement to maintain the child must consent to the adoption.
  • Abandonment: Children who have been abandoned, neglected, or mistreated by their birth parents may become available for adoption.
  • Death: Children whose birth parents are deceased may also be available for adoption. 
  • Age and Residence of Adoptive Child: The child must be unmarried and under 18 years old at the time of adoption, and living in Guyana.
  • Sibling Adoptions: Siblings may be adopted together, provided that they are all unmarried, residing in Guyana, and are less than 18 years of age.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: There is no provision in Guyana’s law giving preference to adoptions of children with special and/or medical needs.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: There is a mandatory three month bonding period prior to the adoption order being granted. However, the High court may waive the bonding period if the prospective adoptive parents are Guyanese nationals adopting a relative.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are available for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

How To Adopt

Adoption Board, Ministry of Labor, Human Services and Social Security


The process for adopting a child from Guyana generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Guyana
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  6. Bring Your Child Home
  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider: Before taking steps to adopt a child from Guyana, you should select a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case. Unless an exception applies, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA. Your primary provider is responsible for:
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt: To bring an adopted child from Guyana to the United States, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-600A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how

    In addition to meeting the U.S. requirements for adoptive parents, you need to meet the requirements of Guyana as described in the Who Can Adopt section.

    Prospective adoptive parents must apply in person to the Adoption Board ("the Board"). The application form, First Schedule, consist of two parts, Form A and Form B. Form A is completed and signed by the prospective adoptive parents and consists of biographical data for the applicants and prospective child. It also includes references for the prospective adoptive parents. Form B is a medical certificate for the child or children to be adopted, which must be completed by a duly qualified medical practitioner. Prospective adoptive parents must obtain these forms in person from the Board.

    When the prospective adoptive parents file the First Schedule, they will received an acknowledgement slip with an appointment date for the initial adoption interview. The prospective adoptive parents, child, and biological parents must appear before the Board at the interview. The appointments are usually scheduled within 4-6 weeks after the application is filed. The Board will undertake a request for an expedited appointment but it is not guaranteed.

    A social worker interviews the birth parents, prospective adoptive parents, and children separately at the initial adoption interview. At the conclusion of the interview, assuming a signed and witnessed consent is obtained from the biological parents, or, if absent, the Board is satisfied that the birth parent(s) cannot be located, the prospective adoptive parents are given an informational letter from the Board. This letter provides instructions for the prospective adoptive parents' attorney to begin preparing the court papers for the adoption process. Two copies of this letter must also be filed in the High Court by the attorney for the applicants, along with an application to appoint the Board guardian ad litem of the child. Obtaining the order may take up to six months depending on the attorney's skill and the court calendar.
  3. Be Matched with a Child: If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority in Guyana will provide you with a referral to a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of a particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child. The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Guyana's requirements, as described in the Who Can Adopt section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law. Learn more.

    The Adoption Board will grant guardian ad litem (also called first order) to the prospective adoptive parents, then, the Board conducts a more thorough investigation of the case. The investigation includes a visit by an officer of the Board to the home of the prospective adoptive parents to ensure that the welfare of the child is being met. If the child does not live with the prospective adoptive parents, a probationary period is allowed for bonding between the prospective adoptive parents and the child. The bonding period must take place in Guyana. The Board receives a report of the investigation. In addition to the investigation, a home study must be conducted by a certified social worker.

    After the investigation is complete and the home study received by the Board, the case is placed on the Adoption Board's calendar. Cases are usually scheduled 2-3 months in advance. The prospective adoptive parents, children, and birth parents are required to be present for the meeting. The prospective adoptive parents must also be physically present in Guyana at least one month prior to the Board meeting. The Adoption Board meets on the last Wednesday of every month, except December, at 1:30 pm. The social worker's report based on the investigation and home study is discussed and the Board seeks a consensus. A decision in favor of the prospective adoptive parents would be followed within a week by a recommendation (Form C) of the case to the High Court for the making of a Final Order. The Board can defer a case until it is fully convinced about the competence of the applicant, or can reject it because there are no justifiable grounds for the adoption. At a later date the parties involved will be given notice to attend court before a judge in chambers for the issuance of the Final Order. Once the Final Order is issued, a copy of the child's Adoption Certificate can be obtained from the office of the Registrar General.
  4. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Guyana: The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Guyana generally includes the following:
  • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: The CCPA conducts their assessment of the child’s availability for adoption and  forwards a report to the Guyana Adoption Board. The Board recommends whether the adoptive placement should be approved. 
    • Receive applications for adoptions
    • Conduct investigations concerning the adoption of the child for consideration to the Guyana Adoption Board and/or the Court
    • Act as guardian ad litem of the child
    • Appoint licensed social workers to visit the child during the period of bonding with the prospective adopted parent/s
  • Role of the Court:
    • The High Court has jurisdiction over all adoptions in Guyana. If the Guyana Adoption Board is satisfied the prospective adoptive parents can be entrusted with the care and possession of the child, the Court will appoint the CCPA as guardian ad litem and the prospective adoptive parents as temporary custodians of the child. After the preplacement bonding period expires (three months), the parties involved will be given notice to attend court before a judge in chambers who will review the relevant case facts and determine if the Adoption Order should be issued.
    • Only the High Court may waive the pre-adoption placement requirement if the prospective adoptive parents are Guyanese nationals adopting a relative.  
  • ADOPTION APPLICATION: Adoption applications are submitted to the CCPA.
  • TIME FRAME: Adoptions in Guyana typically take one year to complete.
  • ADOPTION FEES: There are no government fees for adoption services in Guyana. Legal fees, which are inclusive of court costs, ranges from US$1,000.00 – US$2,500.00. Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that attorneys determine the fees for legal services rendered.
    • Prospective adoptive parents are advised to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either by them directly or through their U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to U.S. law, or the law of Guyana, with your adoption service provider. Please also refer to information concerning the Hague Complaint Registry. Improper payments may have the appearance of buying a child, violate applicable law, and could put all future adoptions in Guyana at risk. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, for instance, makes it unlawful to bribe foreign government officials to obtain or retain business. Further, the UAA and IAA make it unlawful to improperly influence relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing competent authority functions. In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your adoption service provider will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.
  • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The following certified documents are required for adoptions in Guyana:
    • Birth and marriage certificates
    • Bank statements
    • Employment verification
    • Police clearance
    • Home study
    • National identity cards or passports (if non-Guyanese)
  • In addition to the above documents for prospective adoptive parents', the following documents pertaining to the child are needed for the initial adoption interview:
    • Death Certificate, if biological parents are deceased
    • Child's birth certificate
    • Most recent school records

NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how.

    5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for AdoptionAfter you finalize the adoption (or gain legal custody) in Guyana, the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) MUST determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted (Form I-600). Learn how.

    6. Bringing Your Child Home: Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for several documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

  • Birth Certificate 
    • You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.
  • Guyanese Passport 
    • Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Guyana.
  • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
    • The following is a guideline for U.S. citizens adopting a child in Guyana, with the intent of applying for an immigrant visa for the child to enter the United States. This process involves complex foreign and U.S. legal requirements. U.S. consular officer give each petition careful consideration on a case-by-case basis to ensure that the legal requirements of both countries have been met, for the protection of the prospective adoptive parent(s), the biological parent(s), and the child. Interested U.S. citizens are strongly encouraged to contact U.S. consular official in Guyana before formalizing an adoption agreement to ensure that appropriate procedures have been followed which will make it possible for the Embassy to issue a U.S. immigrant visa for the child.
    • After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. Prospective adopting parents should contact the U.S. Embassy in Georgetown by phone 592- 225-7965/7966 or email - visageorge@state.gov as soon as they begin the adoption process to obtain information on applying for the visa. The Consular Section tries to work with adopting parents to schedule an appointment as expeditiously as possible, but we cannot guarantee an appointment if the adopting parents have not contacted us before they travel to Guyana. Once parents contact the Consular Section, they are sent a tip sheet on assembling documents for the visa appointment.
  • Documents needed for the visa appointment include:
    • Birth, marriage, and divorce certificates for adopting parents
    • Recently issued birth certificate for the child
    • Guyanese police certificate for children over age 16 (please note that children over the age of 16 are unlikely to meet the definition of an orphan as defined by the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act, unless the child was adopted prior to age 16)
    • Visa photos for child
    • $335 for each visa
    • Medical exams for the child
    • I-864 Affidavit of Support from parents who will adopt the child in the U.S. (children adopted abroad by American citizens qualify for the Child Citizenship Act and do not require the I-864)

After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S. Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-600 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage.

Note: Visa issuance after the interview and approval generally takes 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide a visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your new child to acquire American citizenship automatically when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your new child to acquire American citizenship automatically when the court in the United States issues the final adoption decree.

* Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Guyana. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Guyana, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Guyana, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Guyana require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

  •  There are no post-adoption requirements for Guyana.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

  •  Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Guyana 
99/100 Young & Duke Streets
Kingston, Georgetown
Tel: 592-225-7965; 592-225-7966
Fax: 592-227-0221
Email: visageorge@state.gov
Website: https://gy.usembassy.gov/

Guyanese Adoption Authority 
Adoption Board, Ministry of Labor, Human Services and Social Security
1 Water and Cornhill Streets
Georgetown, Guyana
Tel: 592-225-7450
Fax: 592-227-1308

Embassy of Guyana 
2490 Tracy Place, NW,
Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel: 202-265-3834; 202-265-6900
Fax: 202-232-1297

Consulate General of Guyana 
370 7th Avenue, Room 402
New York, N.Y. 10001
Tel: 212-947-5115; 212-947-5116
Fax: 212-947-5163

*Guyana also has honorary consulates in Los Angeles, Miami, East Chicago, and Waco(TX).

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov
Website: http://adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) 
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None One 12 Months
CW-2 11 None One 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None One 60 Months 3
H-1C None One 60 Months 3
H-2A None One 60 Months 3
H-2B None One 60 Months 3
H-2R None One 60 Months 3
H-3 None One 60 Months 3
H-4 None One 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 60 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Available from the Registrar General's Office, G.P.O. Building, Georgetown.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Requests for marriage records should be sent to: The Registrar General of Births and Deaths, G.P.O. Building, Georgetown, Guyana. In addition to the names of the parties and the date of marriage, the place of marriage should be included with the request as files are maintained by district. If no record is located, a letter to that effect will be issued by the Registrar.

Same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in Guyana.

Divorce Certificates

Available from the Supreme Court Registrar, Avenue of the Republic, Georgetown.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A certificate of character is available from the Police Headquarters, Eve Leary, Georgetown, for residents presently residing there and for past residents. Three passport size photographs, a valid Guyanaese passport and an original birth certificate are required.

Military Records

Local military service records are available from the Administrative Officer, Records Branch, Guyana Defence Force, Camp Ayanganna, Georgetown. Military records for service in the British Armed Forces can be obtained from the corresponding service headquarters in London. Reference should be made to the detailed instructions for United Kingdom and Northern Ireland as shown under 9 FAM Part IV, Appendix C, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Georgetown, Guyana (Embassy)

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Guyana. Immigrant visas for nationals of Suriname and French Guiana are processed processed at Embassy Georgetown.