CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog

Equatorial Guinea

Country Name: Equatorial Guinea
Official Country Name: Republic of Equatorial Guinea
Country Code 2-Letters: GQ
Country Code 3-Letters: GNQ
Street: Carretera Malabo II
Malabo, Guinea Ecuatorial
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/7221.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Malabo
Street Address: Carretera Malabo II
Malabo, Guinea Ecuatorial
Phone: +(240) 333-095-741
Emergency Phone: +(240) 555-516-008
Fax: No Fax
Email: MalaboConsular@state.gov
Web: https://gq.usembassy.gov/embassy/malabo/

Embassy Messages




Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

6 months

Blank Passport Pages:

1 page

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required for stays of less than 90 days


Proof of vaccination for yellow fever and polio required. A polio booster dose is required for those who have completed the normal series of the polio vaccine.

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Malabo

Carretera Malabo II
Malabo, Guinea Ecuatorial
+(240) 333-095-741
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +240 555-516-008

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Equatorial Guinea for additional information on U.S. – Equatorial Guinea relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Vaccinations: A certification of vaccination for yellow fever and polio are required to enter Equatorial Guinea (EG). The EG Ministry of Health requires that all visitors be up to date on the polio vaccine (a booster dose is advised for those who have completed their normal series). It is increasingly common to be asked for proof of vaccination upon entry, and immigration officials may require you to be vaccinated at the airport (potency and sterility of items is always questionable) or bar entry into the country for those who do not comply with the requirements.

U.S. citizens staying longer than 90 days should register with the local police station.

Private ships landing at Equatoguinean ports must get clearance prior to approaching the shore. 

You can obtain the latest information and entry and exit information from the Embassy of the Republic of Equatorial Guinea, 2020 16th Street NW, Washington, DC 20009, telephone (202) 518-5700, fax (202) 518-5252.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Equatorial Guinea. However, the Government of Equatorial Guinea is starting to require medical documentation including the determination of the HIV status of third country nationals who are renewing or obtaining residency in Equatorial Guinea.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page.

Safety and Security

Although large public demonstrations are uncommon, you should avoid large crowds, political rallies, and street demonstrations. The potential for political upheaval exists.

Crime: Even though violent crime is rare, there has been a rise in violent burglaries/home invasions and in overall hostility directed at Westerners and people perceived to be of Chinese heritage by police and other officials. Many situations, including petty or street crime and official harassment, have the potential to turn violent.

There has been a significant increase in attacks against women, including U.S. citizens, by small groups posing as taxi drivers and passengers, especially in the continental city of Bata and surrounding areas, as well as Malabo. Victims typically are held captive for up to an hour, threatened at knife-point, and robbed. Take taxis only in groups, use taxi drivers personally known to you, or avoid taxis altogether, especially in Bata. Be mindful of how much cash you have in your possession when entering a taxi and try to avoid carrying large sums of cash.

Avoid dark alleys, remote locations, and traveling alone. Carry a copy of your passport and other pertinent documents at all times. Authorities may perceive notarized copies as more official than non-notarized copies.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy. Report crimes to the local police at in Malabo at 113 or nationally to the EG’s Ministry of National Security number at 666 555 532, and contact the U.S. Embassy at (+240) 333-095-741 during business hours or (+240) 555-516-008 after hours. 

Generally, the police are responsive to reports of crimes by U.S. citizens, but it is common to be asked to pay a substantial sum of money (between $50 to $100) in order to file a police report or obtain a copy of a police report on file.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or law enforcement officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: While there are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events, societal norms do not allow for the public discussion of homosexuality. No antidiscrimination law exists to protect LGBTI individuals.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Accommodation for individuals with disabilities is not mandated by Equatoguinean law, and travelers with disabilities are likely to encounter difficulties accessing transportation and public buildings. Although sidewalks often are available in major cities (especially in Malabo and Bata), road crossings are frequently uneven and curbs are usually in need of repair. Neither Malabo nor Bata has a public transportation system, and few vehicles are accessible to individuals with disabilities. Public buildings, including restaurants, bars, medical facilities, stores, and government offices, are rarely accessible and frequently have steps or partially obstructed entrances.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Currency: Equatorial Guinea is almost exclusively a cash economy. Generally, credit cards and checks are not accepted with the exception of a few Western hotels that cater to international business travelers. Credit card cash advances are not available. Most local businesses do not accept travelers' checks, dollars, or euros. However, dollars can be exchanged at local banks for Central African Francs (CFA). Cash in CFA is usually the only form of payment accepted throughout the country.

ATMs are increasingly available in major cities. Although they are generally secure, travelers may find them out of order, so it is best not to rely on ATMs. You should also exercise caution when using a local bank or ATM as individuals may be waiting around to rob individuals with cash. In addition, you should not hail a taxi right outside of a bank or ATM.

Photography: In the recent past, a special permit from the Ministry of Information and Tourism was required for virtually all types of photography in Equatorial Guinea. Although the law has changed, police or security officials may still attempt a fine or detain people taking photographs. Federal laws forbid taking photos of the Presidential Palace and its surroundings, military installations, airports, harbors, government buildings, and any other area the government deems as sensitive. Police and security officials have taken photographers into custody for perceived or actual violations of this policy, or to seize the camera (and/or cell phone) of persons photographing in the country. Also, the police may use this as a reason to try to extort money and/or threaten foreigners with torture or abuse. As these situations have the potential to become hostile, you should exercise prudence and caution while taking photographs. 


Medical facilities are limited in terms of space and capability. Pharmacies in Malabo and Bata stock basic medicines including antibiotics but do not carry U.S. brand names or generic over the counter (OTC) medications. Outside of these cities, many medicines are unavailable. You should carry a supply of properly-labeled prescription drugs and other OTC medications adequate to cover your entire stay.

Sanitation levels in hospitals are very low, except for the La Paz Malabo Medical Center, a western level and acute care hospital which meets many of the medical standards of a modern hospital in a developed country. Doctors and hospitals often require immediate payment for health services in cash only (CFA). Patients are sometimes expected to supply their own bandages, linen, and toiletries. Emergency medical services (ambulances, trained paramedics) are only sporadically available and should not be relied upon in the event of an emergency.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation. 

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Equatorial Guinea to ensure the medication is legal in Equatorial Guinea. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

The risk of malaria is extremely high in all areas of Equatorial Guinea and you should arrive with appropriate drugs to prevent malaria even for short trips in cities. There are many counterfeit antimalarials throughout Africa and you should not plan on purchasing them after arrival.

The following other diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Speed limits are posted in kilometers but rarely observed, and travelers should remain alert for pedestrians and livestock, even on multi-lane highways. Traffic signals and crosswalks are becoming more common, but are not always heeded by local drivers. Driving while intoxicated is widespread, particularly at night and during weekends and holidays. At night, many motorists do not use headlights and roads are inconsistently lit. Carry a cell phone for use in an emergency.

Traffic Laws: U.S. citizens on short stays are permitted to drive with an International Driver’s License. There are currently no distracted driving laws in effect in Equatorial Guinea, but police may pull over drivers who talk or text while driving. They can and will pull over any driver for any reason.

Road Blocks and Checkpoints: Military roadblocks are common outside the limits of Malabo and Bata. Police checkpoints are increasingly common in both cities. You should be prepared to show proper identification (for example, a copy of your U.S. passport) and to explain your reason for being at that particular location. If you do not speak Spanish, carry a Spanish-language written copy of your reason for being in the country and your itinerary, especially if planning to travel into the countryside. Travelers should be aware that many military facilities are poorly marked and inconsistently staffed, especially in isolated areas. Travelers should try to avoid these sites whenever possible.

Police or security forces sometimes stop motorists on the pretext of minor traffic violations in order to extort small bribes. We advise you not to pay bribes, and instead request that the officer provide a citation to be paid at the local court or a receipt stating the violation, amount due, and the officer’s name. If it appears that you may be asked to go to a police station or are held up at roadblocks for an extended period of time, you should contact the U.S. Embassy’s duty officer at +240 555-516-008 to report the situation.

Public Transportation: The Embassy prohibits the use of taxis and other forms of public transportation by U.S. citizen employees.

Public transportation is not reliable or safe. Taxis, while inexpensive and readily available, are often poorly maintained, and taxi drivers frequently drive dangerously or while impaired. Taxis will stop to pick up additional passengers and may detour or drop passengers off out of sequence. Single travelers, particularly women, are advised to avoid taxis if possible, or to use taxi drivers personally known to them or recommended as being safe and reliable. Many of the taxi drivers do not have a valid driver’s license, have medical conditions that preclude them from driving safely, and/or have no public transportation license. There have been reports from both Malabo and Bata of expatriates boarding taxicabs and being driven to unfamiliar places against their will to be robbed, raped, and otherwise assaulted.

Rental cars are available at the airport through international companies. If you choose to rent a vehicle, be sure to have your registration, passport, and an international driver’s license on you at all times (please refer to the Travel & Transportation section above for more information). You may be required to obtain an Equatoguinean driver’s license if you do not have an international driver’s license. Military and police roadblocks are found throughout the country; an official may stop you and ask questions. Some roads will not have pavement.

See our Road Safety page for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Equatorial Guinea, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Equatorial Guinea’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Equatorial Guinea should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (https:homeport.uscg.mil), and the NGA broadcast warnings website select “broadcast warnings.”

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 518-5700 (202) 518-5252

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Equatorial Guinea, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Equatorial Guinea.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Equatorial Guinea is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Equatorial Guinea and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Equatorial Guinea and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor  
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Email: AfricaIPCA@state.gov

Parental child abduction is a crime in Equatorial Guinea according to the Law on the Smuggling of Migrants and Trafficking in Persons of 2004, Article 1.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Equatorial Guinea and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.  Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Equatorial Guinea for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Equatorial Guinea are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Equatorial Guinea posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


U.S. Department of State is not aware of any government agencies or non-governmental organizations that offer mediation programs.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Equatorial Guinea is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (the Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs, and Penitentiary Institutions of Equatorial Guinea, which has authority over adoptions.

Very few intercountry adoptions take place in Equatorial Guinea; as a result, laws governing intercountry adoption are inconsistently applied. Additionally, there is no designated adoption authority. All adoptions are conducted through the Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs, and Penitentiary Institutions. U.S. citizens considering adoption from Equatorial Guinea should contact the Embassy of Equatorial Guinea in the United States for information on how to proceed. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Equatorial Guinea who would like to adopt from the United States or from a third country, should contact the Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs, and Penitentiary Institutions to inquire about applicable laws and procedures.  See contact information below.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, with the intention of returning for the child when they are able to do so. In such cases, the birth parent(s) rarely would have relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Equatorial Guinea and the U.S. Embassy Malabo’s website for information on consular services.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Equatorial Guinea, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

There is no designated adoption authority.  We encourage you to consult with the Embassy of Equatorial Guinea to the United States for information on how best to proceed with the Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs, and Penitentiary Institutions.

Embassy of Equatorial Guinea
2020 16th Street, NW, Washington DC 20009
Tel: (202) 518-5700
Fax: (202) 518-5252

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 24 Months
A-2 None Multiple 24 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 3 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 3 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Two 3 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 24 Months
G-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-3 None Multiple 24 Months
G-4 None Multiple 24 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A
H-2B None N/A N/A
H-2R None Multiple 3 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Two 3 Months
J-1 4 None Two 3 Months
J-2 4 None Two 3 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Two 3 Months
L-2 None Two 3 Months
M-1 None Two 60 Months
M-2 None Two 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Two 3 Months 3
O-2 None Two 3 Months 3
O-3 None Two 3 Months 3
P-1 None Two 3 Months 3
P-2 None Two 3 Months 3
P-3 None Two 3 Months 3
P-4 None Two 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Two 3 Months 3
R-1 None Two 3 Months
R-2 None Two 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Available. However, Equatorial Guinea does not yet have an established system of recording vital statistics. Furthermore, most Equatoguineans do not register births, marriages, divorces and deaths when they occur. In response to the growing demand of civil documents by Equatoguineans to satisfy for immigration, employment and other purposes, civil registry offices of the Ministry of Justice around the country have recently begun to issue civil documents in standardized formats on white A4 size plain paper. These documents are issued at any time after the event on the basis of information provided to the civil registry office by:

  • the person requesting the document;
  • a written testimony of an informant, usually the head of the local community (Presidente de Commudad de Vecinos) where the event took place, or their proxy; and
  • witnesses who may or may not have direct knowledge of the events about which they are testifying.

Dates in these documents are often guessed. At best, they are only as good as the memory or written records of the informant or witnesses. At worst, the information in these documents can be completely false. The civil registries make no attempt to independently verify the testimony of informants and witnesses. Therefore, civil documents should be given no more weight than affidavits if presented in support of a relationship claim. Documents that were issued soon after the event are considered more reliable than so-called delayed certificates.

There may be a fee for each service.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Birth certificates (Certificación Literal de Inscripción de Nacimiento) are issued by the Ministry of Justice (Ministerio de Justicia, Culto e Instituciones Penitencias) or its provincial delegation of the city where the birth took place. Requests should be addressed to the civil registry (Dirección de Registros y Notariado) with a birth declaration from the hospital, a baptismal card, or the testimony of an informant or their proxy and witnesses. The request should include the child's name, time/date/place of birth, and parents' bio-information.

Extracts from birth records (Certificación en Extracto Acta de Nacimiento) are accepted. They should be signed by civil registry official and should bear the stamp seal of that office.

Before civil registries began to establish birth certificates, some births were declared and maintained by the church authorities especially the Roman Catholic Church. Baptismal cards that are old and were issued soon after the birth are considered more reliable and can be accepted as a birth document.



Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Marriage certificates (Certificación Literal de Acta de Matrimonio Consuetudinario) are issued by the Ministry of Justice (Ministerio de Justicia, Culto e Instituciones Penitencias) or its provincial delegation of the city where the marriage took place. Requests should be addressed to the Civil Registry (Dirección de Registros y Notariado) and should include the bio-information of both parties and the date and place of the marriage. Traditional and religious (the church should be recognized by the local government) weddings are considered legal in Equatorial Guinea. The traditional marriage certificate is established and signed by the head of the local community (Presidente de Commudad de Vecinos) where the marriage took place. It should carry a stamp seal upon which is written "Commudad de Vecinos name of the district". For example: "Commudad de Vecinos Ela Nguema". The religious marriage is established and signed by the church official. These certificates usually accompany requests for a marriage certificate from the civil registry. Because these types of marriages are legal, traditional and church marriage certificates should be accepted.



Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. The Equatoguinean police certificate is known in Equatorial Guinea as "Certificado de Antecedentes Penales."

If you are a national from Equatorial Guinea residing in Equatorial Guinea, you may apply in person at the Ministry of Justice.

If you are a national from Equatorial Guinea living outside of Equatorial Guinea, you should apply through the EquatoGuinean Consulate in the country where you are currently living or in a neighboring country. The EquatoGuinean Embassy will provide you with more specific information.

Third country nationals (TCN) legally living in Equatorial Guinea must apply in person at the Ministry of Justice. A TCN illegally living in Equatorial Guinea is unable to obtain a police certificate. There are no alternatives available for visa applicants needing EquatoGuinean Police Certificates who live illegally in Equatorial Guinea.

If you are a former legal TCN currently living outside of Equatorial Guinea, contact the consulate of your nationality in Equatorial Guinea. (Example: Cameroonian should contact the Cameroonian consulate in Malabo). The consulate will then contact the EquatoGuinean Ministry of Justice if that country has a reciprocal agreement with Equatorial Guinean for police certification. If Equatorial Guinea does not have a reciprocal agreement with this country, a police certificate is not available. A list of countries having reciprocal agreements with Equatorial Guinea is not available. Applicants must check with each individual consulate regarding their country's reciprocal agreement status.

If you are a former illegal TCN currently living outside of Equatorial Guinea, you cannot obtain a police clearance. There are no alternatives available for visa applicants needing EquatoGuinean Police Certificates who live illegally in Equatorial Guinea.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Included in the Certificado de Antecedentes Penales (see Police Record).

Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

The Equatorial Guinean Foreign Ministry issues diplomatic and official passports which have respectively red and blue covers. Some official passports have brown covers.

Regular passports are issued by the Police. They have brown covers.

Equatorial Guinea passport are non machine-readable without a digital photograph. There are no security features.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Malabo (Embassy) -- Nonimmigrant Visas

Street Address:
Carretera Aeropuerto, KM-3 (El Paraiso)

Mailing Address:
Carretera Aeropuerto, KM-3 (El Paraiso)
Apartado 95
Malabo, Equatorial Guinea

Pouch Address:
2320 Malabo Place
Washington, DC 20521-2320

Tel: (240) 098895

Fax: (240) 098894

Yaounde, Cameroon (Embassy) -- Immigrant Visas

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant Visas for all of Equatorial Guinea. IV applications for nationals of the Equatorial Guinea are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Cameroon.