CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog

The Gambia

Country Name: The Gambia
Official Country Name: Republic of The Gambia
Country Code 2-Letters: GM
Country Code 3-Letters: GMB
Street: 92 Kairaba Avenue, Fajara
The Gambia
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/5459.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Banjul
Street Address: 92 Kairaba Avenue, Fajara
The Gambia
Phone: +(220) 439-2856
Emergency Phone: +(220) 439-2856
Fax: +(220) 439-2475
Email: ConsularBanjul@state.gov
Web: https://gm.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages




Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Valid for duration of stay

Blank Passport Pages:

1 page

Tourist Visa Required:



Yellow fever

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Banjul

92 Kairaba Avenue, Fajara
The Gambia
Telephone: +(220) 439-2856
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(220) 439-2856
Fax: +(220) 439-2475

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on The Gambia for information on U.S. – The Gambia relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Requirements for Entry:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • World Health Organization (WHO) card with yellow fever vaccination for people coming from countries where Yellow Fever infection is common.


Obtain your visa before traveling or within two working days of arrival from the Department of Immigration in downtown Banjul. In the United States, contact the Embassy of The Gambia at 5630 16th St NW, Washington, DC 20011, or call 202 785-1379 for the most current visa information. Overseas inquiries should be made at the nearest Gambian embassy or consulate.  

Tourist travelers are typically granted a 30-day stay in The Gambia upon arrival. Travelers who stay beyond the allowed time are fined 1,000 dalasi per month of overstay on departure, payable in cash. Extensions to stays can be requested at the Department of Immigration in Banjul.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of The Gambia.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Avoid the southern borders of the Casamance region in Senegal, where separatist groups/rebels operate and have attacked travelers on roads leading north from Ziguinchor, Senegal, to Banjul, and on Senegalese roads from Bignona to Senoba, which is near the Senegal - Gambia border. For more detail, see the Travel Advisory for The Gambia.

Avoid political rallies and street demonstrations and maintain situational awareness at all times. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.

Crime: Petty street crime is common. Pickpockets, purse snatching, and theft from vehicles occur on ferries, in market and commercial areas, and hotels. Ensure that your travel documents, luggage, and valuable items are secure. Business fraud and relationship scams are common.

Beware of “bumsters” - local men who approach tourists, particularly on beaches and tourist zones, offering help or to act as local guides. They will often demand payment for their services, even if no agreement has been made. Be polite but firm in turning down unwanted help or attempts at conversation.

  • Avoid walking alone, including on beaches, in tourist areas, and after dark.
  • Do not display cash and valuable personal property.
  • Drive with doors locked and windows closed or rolled up enough at all times to prevent theft while stopped in traffic.

Relationship fraud/scam: Internet romance and financial scams are common in The Gambia. Scams are often initiated when a U.S. citizen is befriended over the internet. Scammers almost always pose as U.S. citizens who have no one else to turn to for assistance and they request financial assistance from the unsuspecting victim to help pay for fraudulent claims, such as for urgent medical treatment, payment of exit tax, or a government fine.

  • Do not send money to anyone you have not met in person and whose situation you cannot independently verify.
  • If you believe you might be a victim of an internet scam, please contact the Embassy at ConsularBanjul@state.gov before sending money to a person you have only met online.
  • See Internet Dating and Romance Scams.

Business fraud/scams: The U.S. Embassy receives reports of scams in which U.S. businesses sent payment, but did not receive shipments.

  • Be suspicious of any unsolicited offers to participate in lucrative business opportunities, especially if they require financial disclosures, money transfers, large up-front investments, or promises of confidentiality.
  • Carefully scrutinize all proposals before you commit any funds, provide any goods or services, or undertake any travel.
  • See International Financial Scams

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:         

  • U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should contact the U.S. Embassy in addition to Gambian police. Sexual assaults by relatives are often seen by police as family matters outside their jurisdiction and they may not investigate.
  • Report crimes to the local police at 117 for police assistance or ambulatory services, and 118 for fire and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(220) 439-2856. The Gambian Police Force operates a 24 hour emergency line at (220) 422-4914. Please be advised that emergency responders may lack fuel for vehicles or face other resource challenges.
  • Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.
  • See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Convictions for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs can result in long prison sentences. This includes use or possession of marijuana.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Dual Nationals: In addition to being subject to all of The Gambia’s laws affecting foreigners, dual U.S. - Gambian citizens may be subject to additional provisions of Gambian law. Please inquire at a Gambian embassy or consulate regarding your status before you travel. Gambian police routinely do not recognize dual citizenship and may treat you solely as a Gambian citizen. This is particularly true if you use a Gambian passport rather than a U.S. passport to enter The Gambia.

Medications: Many common medications are available in Gambian pharmacies although you may need to know the European name or brand to find an equivalent product. Medication, such as insulin, requiring refrigeration may be difficult to store as The Gambia is subject to frequent power outages. Import and export of skin-bleaching creams and some medications is strictly regulated. You can face fines up to $2,000 and/or three years imprisonment if you arrive with substances containing one percent or more of: hydroquinone (in any form), hydrocortisone (unless in trace amounts and for specific purposes such as anti-itch products), betamethasone, flucinonide, clobestatol, or clobestatone. For more information, including additional restrictions on importing medications, please contact the nearest Gambian embassy or consulate.

Photography: It is against the law to photograph or film airport security operations, military installations, embassies, or government motorcades. You could be fined, have your photographic equipment confiscated without notice, and risk detention and arrest. Do not take photos of Gambians without their permission.

Currency: The dalasi is the official currency, though U.S. dollars, euros, and West African Francs (CFA) are widely accepted. The Gambia is a cash economy; credit cards are accepted only at major hotels and a few restaurants. Exchange currency at banks or exchange bureaus only. Changing money unofficially is prohibited. Due to the potential for fraud, avoid using ATMs except those at banks. Money transfers are widely available at Western Union branch offices.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Under Gambian law, consensual same-sex sexual relations are illegal. Prison terms range from five years to life imprisonment. Antidiscrimination laws do not protect LGBTI individuals, and there is strong societal discrimination against LGBTI individuals. Gambian authorities have called on landlords and owners of bars, restaurants, and hotels to monitor activities that happen in their environments.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance:

Persons with disabilities face limited access to transportation, communication, accommodations, and public buildings. There are few sidewalks and no curb-cuts, and most buildings lack functioning elevators.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: 

Although gender-based violence is illegal, many wives experience domestic violence. Rape, including spousal rape, is a widespread problem. Police generally consider spousal rape to be a domestic issue outside their jurisdiction.

Female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/C) is a crime. Accomplices who are aware of the practice but do not report it to the police can also be punished. Four-fifths of girls and women between the ages of 15 and 19 have undergone FGM/C, and seven of the nine major ethnic groups practice FGM/C on girls from shortly after birth until age 16.

See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical facilities are very limited, some treatments are unavailable, and emergency services can be unpredictable and unreliable. There are no trauma centers in The Gambia and severe accidents require evacuation to Senegal or Europe.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of The Gambia, via the neareast embassy or consulate, to ensure the medication is legal. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Malaria is prevalent throughout the country. Chemoprophylaxis is recommended for all travelers even for short stays.

You should:

  • Carry and use insect repellents containing either 20 percent DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, IR3535, or 2-undecanone.
  • Treat clothing and tents with permethrin.
  • Sleep in screened or air conditioned rooms under insecticide-impregnated mosquito nets.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Road conditions are poor, particularly during the rainy season, which generally lasts from July through September. Although main roads are paved in the greater Banjul area, many are potholed and poorly lit. Some drivers in the Banjul area do not use vehicle lights at night, while others habitually drive with high beams on. Side roads in the Banjul area and most roads outside the Banjul area are unlit and unpaved. Livestock and pedestrians pose road hazards throughout the country, including in the greater Banjul area.

Traffic Laws: Numerous accidents are caused by intoxicated drivers. You may be substantially fined or imprisoned if you cause an accident while intoxicated.

The police do not consistently apply traffic laws and regulations, and sometimes compel drivers to pay fines on the spot for violations, real or contrived. Written citations/tickets are rarely given.

Police periodically set up impromptu traffic stops on major streets to check for drivers’ licenses and proper insurance. You are obligated to stop at all roadblocks or road checkpoints. Do not reverse direction to avoid a road checkpoint or make any movements that security personnel may view as suspicious or provocative.

Government convoys pose serious risks to drivers and pedestrians. Government convoys frequently travel at high speeds and often in either or both lanes of traffic, including in the oncoming traffic lane and do not always use sirens to announce their presence.

  • Pull to the side of the road as far as possible.
  • Do not attempt to move until the entire convoy has passed.
  • Failure to comply may result in vehicle damage with possible personal injury.

Public Transportation: Exercise caution when using taxis, particularly at night. Most taxis lack safety belts and many are not road-worthy.

Water transportation, including government ferries, is unsafe and unreliable. Ferries, which usually lack sufficient numbers of life preservers for all passengers, are often overcrowded. Exit your vehicle quickly after parking to avoid becoming trapped inside for the duration of the crossing. The wooden dugout “pirogues” that also cross the Gambia River often leave shore overloaded. 

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of The Gambia’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in The Gambia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of The Gambia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to The Gambia should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 785-1399, (202) 785-1379, (202) 785-1425

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: enter link here

General Information

enter link here

Hague Abduction Convention

enter text here


enter text here


enter text here

Retaining an Attorney

enter text here


enter text here

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Gambia is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of the Gambia. U.S. citizens adopting children in rare adoption cases from the Gambia, as well as U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in The Gambia who would like to adopt from the United States or from a third country, should contact the adoption authority of the Gambia to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. See contact information below.

Foreigners are allowed to adopt Gambian children only in exceptional circumstances. Prospective adoptive parents usually must be resident in The Gambia at least six months prior to applying to adopt.

PLEASE NOTE: The U.S. Embassy in Dakar, Senegal issues immigrant visas for Gambian citizens, including adopted orphans.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children's homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children's home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)'s adoption.

Please visit the Department of State's Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to The Gambia and the U.S. Embassy Dakar website for information on consular services.

The Kanifing Children's Court
Address: Mamadi Maniyang Highway, Kanifing, KMC, The Gambia
Tel: +(220) 437-4525 or 439-2202
Fax: None
Email: None
Internet: None

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from The Gambia, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

enter text here

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 36 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 6 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None One 6 Months
C-3 None Multiple 6 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 48 Months
F-2 None Multiple 48 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 36 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 24 Months
N-9 None Multiple 24 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None One 1 Month
U-2 None One 1 Month
U-3 None One 1 Month
U-4 None One 1 Month
U-5 None One 1 Month
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Certificates are obtainable from the Registrar of Births and Deaths at the NTC Complex, Ecowas Avenue in Banjul. There is a nominal charge for these certificates. These are obtainable at any age after birth.

Death Certificates

Available. Death certificates are obtainable in two days from the Registrar of Births and Deaths at NTC Complex, Ecowas Avenuee in Banjul.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

  • Civil: Available. Certified copies of civil marriage certificates are obtainable from the Registrar General, Ministry of Justice, Marina Parade, Banjul.
  • Muslim: Available. Certified copies of Mohammedan marriage certificates are obtainable from the Registrar of the Cadi's Court, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Same-sex marriages are not recognized.

Divorce Certificates

  • Civil: Available. Civil divorce records are obtainable from the Registrar of the High Court, Banjul. The name of the petitioner and the respondent, as well as the date of the divorce decree should be furnished.
  • Muslim: Available. Certified copies of Mohammedan divorce records are obtainable from the Registrar of the Khadi's Court, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Police clearance certificates are available to any resident of The Gambia for 100 dalasis (less than US $4.00). For non-Gambians the fee is 500 dalasis (about $18.00). The process may take a considerable length of time especially when either the individual or a contact is not physically present in The Gambia.

Criminal records are maintained indefinitely at a central Criminal Records Office and are never purged. Criminal records are indexed by the individual's unique national identity number and include fingerprints for verification. Contact the Inspector General of Police Force Headquarters, ECOWAS Avenue, Banjul.

Prison Records

Available. A prison record may be obtained from the Superintendent of Prisons, Mile 2 Central Prison, Banjul.

Military Records

Available. Military records for Gambian nationals who performed military service in the Gambian armed forces may be obtained from the Army Headquarters, Marina Parade, Banjul.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

The Gambian Immigration Department issues machine-readable tourist, service and diplomatic passports. The high-quality new passport incorporates the following security features:

  • Passport Cover: Although the gold seal of the Republic of the Gambia remains the same, a dark forest green background replaces the old royal blue.
  • Inside Cover: Both the old and new passports contain invisible UV-reactive designs on the inside covers. The visible artwork on the new passport includes a pirogue (a type of canoe) and two birds on the inside front cover and a more complex background design on the inside front and back covers.
  • Passport Numbers: The green tourist passports have numbers beginning with two letters followed by 6 digits (e.g. PC123456) replace the old 6-digit passport numbers (e.g. 654321). New service passports have navy blue covers with numbers beginning with the letter S followed by 6 digits (e.g. S000000). For diplomatic passports, the cover is red and the numbers begin with the letter D followed by 6 digits (e.g. D000000). The numbers are still perforated into the passport pages but not the cover. The passport number appears in black ink and invisible UV-reactive ink in the middle of page 1 of the new passport.
  • Passport Pages: The passport contains 32 numbered pages bound in the middle with UV-reactive thread. Like the old passport, the new passport has the seal of The Gambia in the middle of each page. In addition, the new pages feature more subtle coloration fading from green to blue to pink and finer microprinting that reads "Republic of The Gambia" in wavy lines. UV light illuminates the words "Republic of The Gambia" in a circle around seven birds on each page, with the birds oriented in opposite directions on facing pages. Page numbers are printed tab-style on the edge of the page in UV-reactive ink.
  • Identity Page: The identity page is printed on a field of UV-reactive ink on the last page of the passport. The front of the page is matte and the back is laminated. The bearer's photograph appears large and clear on the left side of the page and smaller and faded on the right side of the page. The words "Republic of The Gambia" in light gold reflective ink run in three wavy lines across the bottom of the page, partially crossing the photograph and completely crossing the issue and expiration dates. The indented first and second lines begin with the words "Gambia" and "Republic". The third line starts with the word "Republic" all the way at the left margin of the page. Gambian passports are only valid for five (5) years.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Banjul, The Gambia (Embassy)

Address: 92 Kairaba Avenue in Fajara

Mailing Address:P.M.B. No 19
Banjul, The Gambia

Tel: (220) 439-2856 or 439-1971 ext. 2131

Fax: (220) 439-2475

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visas for all of Gambia. Immigrant visa applications for nationals of The Gambia are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Dakar, Senegal.