CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Gabon
Official Country Name: Gabonese Republic
Country Code 2-Letters: GA
Country Code 3-Letters: GAB
Street: B.P. 4000 Libreville, Gabon
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2826.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Libreville
Street Address: B.P. 4000
Libreville, Gabon
Phone: +(241) 01-45-71-00
Emergency Phone: +(241) 07-38-01-71
Fax: +(241) 01-45-71-05
Email: LibrevilleACS@state.gov
Web: https://ga.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages

Country Map
Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

6 months 

Blank Passport Pages:

1 page per stamp

Tourist Visa Required:



Yellow Fever

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Libreville

B.P. 4000
Libreville, Gabon

Telephone: +(241) 01-45-71-00

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(241) 07-38-01-71

Fax: +(241) 01-45-71-05

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Gabon for additional information on U.S. - Gabon relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

A passport with more than six months of validity remaining, a visa, and proof of vaccination against yellow fever are required for entry into Gabon.  For additional immunization information, visit the CDC’s Health Information for Travelers to Gabon.

There are a number of ways a visitor can obtain a visa to visit Gabon.  The most reliable means of securing a visa for travel to Gabon is to apply prior to departure at the Embassy of the Gabonese Republic in Washington D.C. or the Consulate of the Gabonese Republic in New York.  Please check their websites for visa requirements.

A visitor may also apply for a visa online via Gabon’s “E-Visa” program.  Applications submitted online are processed by the Direction Générale à la Documentation et l’Immigration (DGDI), and the visa is issued at Libreville International Airport upon arrival.  Access to the online application site can be spotty, however, and there have been reports of difficulty in paying the fee required on arrival, due to the lack of access to local funds or ATMs at the security check point in the airport.  For additional information about the “E-Visa” program, visit the Immigration Gabon website.

U.S. citizens may now obtain a visa upon arrival at the airport.  In October 2017, Gabon announced that citizens of G20 countries, including the United States, may obtain a single-entry visa at the Libreville International Airport upon arrival.  Applicants must have more than six months of validity remaining on their passport and must pay a fee of 45,000 CFA or 70 euros.  Although the program has launched, there have been reports of airlines refusing to issue a boarding pass for travel to Gabon when a traveler is unable to present a Gabonese visa prior to departure.

Short-term visitors to Gabon are permitted to stay up to 90 days.  Visitors who wish to remain in the country for longer than 90 days must obtain a residence permit (carte de séjour).  Residents with a carte de séjour must obtain an exit visa from the DGDI, before departing from Gabon.  The application process for an exit visa can take days or weeks which may make emergency travel difficult.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Gabon.

Gabon may deny entry to people coming from Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) affected countries.

Find information on dual nationality,  prevention of international child abduction, and customs information on our websites.

Safety and Security

Political rallies and social protests may occur spontaneously in Gabon, particularly in Libreville and Port Gentil. Even gatherings intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational or violent.  Be aware of your surroundings and personal security at all times. Avoid large gatherings, protests, demonstrations, and any other event where crowds congregate.  Police and security forces typically disperse crowds using tear gas or other force.

Crime:  Muggings, pick-pocketing, and theft of unattended possessions are the most common forms of crime visitors encounter. There have been reports of violent crime, including armed robbery. Vehicle break-ins and residential burglaries continue to be a problem in Libreville and Port Gentil.

Carry identification at all times to minimize the risk of harassment at police checkpoints.

Avoid poorly lit streets and unfamiliar areas of the city, especially at night. Avoid beaches after dusk. Carry a minimal amount of cash and avoid wearing flashy or expensive jewelry, especially in markets and nightlife spots. In a robbery, comply with the attacker to avoid injury.

In the event of a fire, dial 18 in Libreville. In Port Gentil, please dial 07-63-93-63 or 01-56-27-75.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:  Report crimes to the local police and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(241) 01-45-71-00. The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line to reach the police is 177 (not available on all cell phones). For the police, call 01-76-55-85 in Libreville and 01-55-22-54 (Central Police Station) or 07-36-22-25 in Port Gentil.  French is often required.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodations and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:


Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws.  If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Immigration Violations:  U.S. citizens working or residing in Gabon must comply with Gabonese immigration laws.  Non-compliance with such laws may be punished with fines and up to six months’ imprisonment.  You should consult a Gabonese lawyer to assure compliance with immigration and residence laws.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately.  See our webpage for further information.

Language: The official language of Gabon is French.  English is not widely spoken or understood.

Identification:  You should always carry identification and proof of legal immigration status in Gabon.  Examples of identification include a residence permit (carte de séjour), U.S. passport, or an authenticated photocopy of your U.S. passport’s biographic information page, and your Gabonese visa.  City hall offices in Gabon can authenticate passport photocopies for a nominal fee.

Photography:  Taking photographs of the Presidential Palace, airport, and military or other government buildings is strictly forbidden.

Official Corruption: Official corruption is common, but paying bribes is strongly discouraged and may make you a target for further attempts at securing bribery payments.

Currency:  Gabon is largely a cash economy. Credit cards are accepted at only a few major hotels. Due to the high rate of credit card fraud, you should exercise caution when using them.  Traveler’s checks can be cashed or dollars exchanged for Central African Francs (CFA) at hotels and banks.  ATMs are available in major urban centers and dispense CFA.  Exercise caution while withdrawing funds from ATMs.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Gabon. Although there have been no reports of violence against LGBTI persons, discrimination, including in housing and employment, is a problem. Many LGBTI individuals choose to keep their status secret, except in trusted circles. Stigma is a likely factor in preventing the reporting of incidents.  

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and Section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Persons with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different in Gabon from what they find in the United States. The law prohibits discrimination against persons with “physical, mental, congenital, and accidental” disabilities and requires access to buildings or services for persons which such disabilities. Most public buildings do not provide adequate access. There is some societal discrimination against persons with disabilities and treatment facilities are limited.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: If you are a woman traveling abroad, please review our tips for Women Travelers.


Medical facilities in Gabon's major cities are limited, but may meet basic needs. Credit cards are not widely accepted in Gabon, and hospitals almost always expect payment, in cash, before rendering service. Medical services in rural areas are unavailable or of very poor quality. Some medicines are not available locally; carry your own supply of medications to cover your entire stay. For medical emergencies in Libreville, the emergency room at El Rapha Polyclinic, a private clinic, can be reached at 07 98 66 60.  An ambulance can be requested by calling El Ralpha directly or by calling 13-00 from a Gabon telecom landline for other ambulance services (SMUR, SAMU).

You are responsible for all medical costs.

Medical Insurance:  If your health insurance plan does not provide coverage overseas, we strongly recommend supplemental medical insurance and medical evacuation plans. Medicare from the United States does not cover you overseas. 

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations:  Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:  All drivers and passengers should wear seat belts, lock doors, and keep windows closed.  Travelers are routinely stopped at police checkpoints within cities and on roads to the interior. During routine stops, the police may occasionally seek bribes.

Use extreme caution when driving after dark.  Roads to outlying cities are usually unpaved and in poor condition, with large potholes, absence of road signs, poor to non-existent streetlights, timber-laden trucks, and the presence of pedestrians and animals.  Construction work is generally poorly indicated.  Drivers may change lanes or stop unexpectedly and lane markings are frequently ignored.  Four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended for travel beyond the paved road to Lambaréné, especially during the rainy season.

Roadside assistance and emergency medical services are available in Libreville, but they may not be dependable. These services are nonexistent outside of the city. Service stations are available along main roads, but vehicle repair facilities are not always available.

Traffic Laws and Culture:  During short-term tourist or business visits, U.S. citizens may drive a vehicle in Gabon provided they have both a valid U.S. and an international driver’s license. Those residing or working in Gabon (holders of a carte de séjour) must either obtain a Gabonese driver’s license (permis de conduire), or register their U.S. driver’s license with the Direction National de Transport Terrestre.

The following items must be kept in the vehicle at all times: the vehicle registration (carte grise), proof of insurance (assurance), proof of vehicle inspection (visite technique), fire extinguisher (extincteur de feu), triangles (triangles), and first aid kit (boite de soins de premiers secours). The police may verify that the driver has all of the required documentation and equipment if they stop a car on the road or at a police checkpoint.

It is against the law to use a cell phone while driving in Gabon. 

When driving a vehicle or as a passenger in a taxi, you should:

  • Keep your belongings out of sight
  • Ensure the doors are locked
  • Fasten your seat belts
  • Keep the windows rolled up

If you are driving, while stopped in traffic, scan rearview mirrors to identify potential trouble. If you are idling at a stop light or sign, leave adequate maneuver room between vehicles to allow for a hasty departure if necessary.  Even in daylight, thieves may open unlocked vehicle doors to snatch valuables. Park only in well-lit areas, preferably in parking lots with a security guard.

Public Transportation:  Avoid public transportation throughout Libreville due to the substantial risk of serious and fatal accidents.  Many lack proper safety equipment such as seat belts and headlights and are often overcrowded and unlicensed.  Drivers are often reckless, making frequent stops to pick up passengers, drive at high speeds, and ignore traffic or road conditions.

Taxi safety and maintenance varies widely.  Informal, unregulated taxis are common throughout the city.  Select taxis in good condition and verify that there are passenger seatbelts and avoid those in poor condition.  Most major hotels will call an official taxi upon request.  Unless using a metered taxi, negotiate the fare and request sole use of the taxi with the driver before entering the taxi.

An inter-city rail system exists, running from Libreville to Franceville with stops at numerous small cities and towns along the way. 

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information.  Visit the website of Gabon’s National Tourist Office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Gabon, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Gabon’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel:  Mariners planning travel to Gabon should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Security Communications with Industry WebPortal. Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 797-1000 (202) 332-0668

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: enter link here

General Information

enter link here

Hague Abduction Convention

enter text here


enter text here


enter text here

Retaining an Attorney

enter text here


enter text here

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Gabon is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Gabon. U.S. citizens adopting children in rare adoption cases from Gabon, as well as U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Gabon who would like to adopt from the United States or from a third country, should contact the adoption authority of Gabon to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. See contact information below.

Potential adoptive parents begin the process by sending a letter to the Ministry of Social Affairs explaining why they would like to adopt and providing a description of a child they are seeking to adopt. Preferably, the potential adoptive parents reside in Gabon. If not, they will need to travel to Gabon to meet the child. The potential adoptive parents can spend time with the child on weekends and school holidays. After the police have approved the parents and the social worker has determined that the potential adoptive parents and the child have developed a strong relationship, the court can finalize the adoption. 

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Gabon and the U.S. Embassy Libreville website for information on consular services.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Gabon, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

Ministère de la Famille et des Affaires Sociales
B.P. 50, Libreville
Phone +241 76 35 90

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 6 Months
C-1/D N/A N/A N/A
C-2 None Multiple 6 Months
C-3 None Multiple 6 Months
CW-1 11 None One 12 Months
CW-2 11 None One 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 12 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None One 12 Months 3
H-1C None One 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None One 12 Months 3
H-3 None One 12 Months 3
H-4 None One 12 Months 3
I None One 6 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 6 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 6 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 12 Months 3
O-2 None One 12 Months 3
O-3 None One 12 Months 3
P-1 None One 12 Months 3
P-2 None One 12 Months 3
P-3 None One 12 Months 3
P-4 None One 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 12 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. (Extrait de l'Acte de Naissance and Certificat de Deces) These documents can be obtained from the Civil Registry Office (Bureau de l'Etat Civil) in the office of the mayor (Mairie) of the town where the event took place, or in the town of residence. For small towns and interior regions, the request may be addressed to nearest Prefecture.


Available. (Extrait de l'Acte de Naissance and Certificat de Deces) These documents can be obtained from the Civil Registry Office (Bureau de l'Etat Civil) in the office of the mayor (Mairie) of the town where the event took place, or in the town of residence. For small towns and interior regions, the request may be addressed to nearest Prefecture.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. This document can be obtained from the same sources as the birth and death certificates. In the case of a common law marriage that was contracted before Law No. 20-63 of May 31, 1963 (which forbade dowries), an affidavit may be obtained from the Tribunal de Droit Local du ler. Degree of the Prefecture where the marriage was contracted can serve as proof of marriage.

Note: There is a fee for all documents. Applicants should provide full name, date and place of birth, nationality, full names of both parents and Gabonese identity card number, if known.

Gabonese citizens residing abroad may apply for any documents through the nearest Gabonese Embassy.



Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A police record, or "Extrait de Casier Judiciaire" indicates any criminal history and/or criminal convictions in Gabon and can be obtained at the Tribunal de Premiere Instance de Libreville for Gabonese citizens resident in Libreville or Gabonese citizens currently resident abroad. For Gabonese citizens resident in the interior of Gabon, it may be obtained at the Tribunal de Premiere Instance in the respective provincial capital cities. For foreign-born Gabonese citizens and non-Gabonese foreign nationals resident both past and present in Gabon, the "Extrait de Casier Judiciaire" is obtained from the Gabonese Ministry of Justice in Libreville alone.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. This document (Extract de Casier Judiciaire) is available by the Greffier en Chef du Tribunal De Grande Instance of the individual's birthplace. It contains the abstract of convictions resulting in prison sentences, and can only be obtained in person by the individual concerned.

Military Records

Military Records

Available. A request for documents pertaining to military service should be directed to the Commandant de la Place or the Chef du Bureau de Recrutement where the individual resides.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Libreville, Gabon (Embassy)

Street Address:
Blvd. du Bord de Mer
B.P. 4000
Libreville, Gabon

Mailing Address:
Centre Ville
B.P. 4000
Libreville, Gabon

Tel: (241) 76-20-03/04

Visa Services

All categories for all of Gabon, Sao Tome and Principe.