CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Micronesia
Official Country Name: Micronesia
Country Code 2-Letters: FM
Country Code 3-Letters: FSM
Street: 1286 U.S. Embassy Place, Pohnpei
Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1839.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Kolonia
Street Address: 1286 U.S. Embassy Place, Pohnpei
Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia
Phone: +(691) 320-2187
Emergency Phone: +(691) 920-2369
Fax: +(691) 320-2186
Email: KoloniaACS@state.gov
Web: https://fm.usembassy.gov/embassy/kolonia/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Six months

Blank Passport Pages:

No requirement

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required


A valid international certificate of vaccination is required for travelers coming from a region infected with small pox, yellow fever, or cholera

Currency Restrictions for Entry:

You must declare amounts equivalent to $10,000 or above.

Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Kolonia
1286 U.S. Embassy Place, Pohnpei (near the movie theater)
Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia
Telephone: +(691) 320-2187
Emergency after-hours telephone: +(691) 920-2369
Fax: +(691) 320-2186
Email: KoloniaACS@state.gov

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on The Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) for information on U.S. – FSM relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of the Federated States of Micronesia website for the most current information.

You will need a U.S. passport valid for at least 180 days from the time of entry, a completed FSM Immigration Arrival and Departure Record, and a completed FSM Customs Form in order to enter the FSM. Your air carrier will distribute the FSM Immigration Arrival and Departure Record and Customs Form before you arrive in the FSM. U.S. citizens may enter the FSM to live, work, or study indefinitely without visas or non-citizen registration requirements. There is no limit to the length of time U.S. citizens can remain in the FSM.

All four states have a 20 USD departure fee, which you must pay when you leave each island. Please make sure you have cash available, as credit cards are not accepted, and ATM machines are not available at any of the airports.

Travel on commercial aircraft between states of the FSM is considered to be international travel, and persons who are not citizens of the FSM are required to comply with passport requirements upon arrival in any state of the FSM from a commercial aircraft regardless of the point of boarding.

FSM Travel Letters: U.S. citizens who reside in Guam or Saipan should avoid traveling to Chuuk State with travel letters issued by the FSM Consulate in Guam. U.S. citizens who enter Chuuk with a travel letter will not be able to exit Chuuk without a valid passport. Travelers, including small children, have been stranded in Chuuk for days and weeks waiting to receive their passport, because there is no U.S. consulate on Chuuk.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to the FSM.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Crime: Most crime in the FSM is petty theft motivated by opportunity and impulse. Crime rates are significantly higher in Chuuk than in the other states, and incidents in Chuuk have recently included assaults on U.S. citizens. Sexual assaults occur, but you can reduce your risk if you take security precautions by maintaining situational awareness and avoiding individuals who appear to be intoxicated. Do not attempt to intervene in disputes between local citizens. Compared to norms in the United States, local police are less responsive to victim concerns, particularly in cases involving burglary. Local police may not possess the resources to prosecute crimes.

To remain safe:

  • exercise extreme caution at all times
  • be alert to any unusual activity around your home or business
  • stay off the streets after dark
  • drive with the car windows closed and doors locked
  • report any suspicious incidents to local police
  • ensure that the hotel where you stay is prepared to assist you in an emergency
  • women should travel in groups and walk in well-lit areas
  • drive defensively and be on the lookout for pedestrians, especially near Yap harbor and Chuuk Lagoon.

Unexploded ordnance from World War II remains in some areas. It is dangerous, as well as illegal, to remove “souvenirs” from sunken WWII vessels and aircraft.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the police.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes. Report crimes to the local police at 320-2221 on Pohnpei and 911 on all other islands. The numbers for fire assistance are 330-2222 (Chuuk), 370-3333 (Kosrae), 320-2223 (Pohnpei), and 350-3333 (Yap).

The capacity of local police and fire departments throughout the FSM is extremely limited. There is often a significant delay before police and firefighters respond to calls, and they may not be able to respond at all. Often, no one picks up at emergency numbers, especially after normal business hours.

The capacity to investigate crimes is extremely limited, and victims may wait months for an arrest, if one ever occurs. The justice system of the FSM is extremely slow, and western legal standards may not be applied. Some members of law enforcement are poorly trained and unprofessional. You could be detained without being read your rights and held in unsanitary conditions. Court-appointed attorneys, as well as judges, may not have legal training comparable to that found in the United States. 

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence should contact the Embassy for information on the availability of U.S. based resources to assist you. There are no locally based resources for victims of domestic violence.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Public drunkeness is a felony in Yap. Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs, including marijuana, in the FSM are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.

Arrest Notification:  If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBT events in the FSM; however, Micronesian society is still very conservative, and the LGBT community remains very discreet in general.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. Accessibility and accommodation are vastly different from what you find in the United States. Neither laws nor regulations mandate accessibility to public facilities, services, or accomodations for persons with mobility issues. There are few sidewalks in the FSM. There is no public transportation. Taxis are run by independent operators who make no provision for people with mobility issues. The national Department of Health and Social Services is responsible for protecting the rights of persons with disabilities; however, they rarely take action to enforce these measures.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers:  See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Only basic medical care is available, and only on the main outer islands of the Federated States.

Health care facilities in the FSM consist of state-run hospitals on each of the four major islands and a few scattered clinics. These facilities lack advanced supplies and medicines, and the quality of health care is low. Doctors and hospitals expect immediate cash payment for health services. In Pohnpei, Chuuk, Yap and Kosrae states, you can reach ambulance services by calling the state hospitals. Medical evacuation assistance is available only by air. The assistance could take days to arrive and is expensive. There are no daily commercial flights. Because flights often sell out, finding last-minute seats is difficult. Scuba divers should note that decompression chambers in Yap, Chuuk, and Pohnpei are generally not working, and local staff may not have adequate experience in treating diving injuries.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas accept only cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: The information below concerning the FSM may not be accurate in all locations and circumstances. Most roads in the FSM are in very poor condition; they are narrow and without sidewalks. There are no traffic signals, and all roads are used simultaneously by pedestrians, children playing, animals, and vehicles. Road conditions can worsen significantly after heavy rains, which occur frequently. There are very few street lights, so road visibility is difficult at night, and pedestrians may dress in dark clothing, making them especially hard to see. Roads outside of towns are mostly unpaved. Travel by bicycle is hampered by the lack of shoulders on the roads and the presence of many dogs on the island.

There is no formal training in road safety or driving, so many drivers are unaware of road safety rules. Drivers often make sudden turns or stop without warning to chat with or pick up pedestrians. When traffic accidents happen, they often result in fatalities or serious injuries.

Motorcyclists are required by law to wear helmets, though this law is rarely enforced.

Traffic Laws: Speed limits throughout the FSM are very low--20-25 miles per hour (mph) in most places and 15 mph in school zones when children are present. It is not uncommon for drivers to drive at 5 to 10 mph, even when there is no traffic. Drivers may stop in the roadway without warning to talk to someone on the side of the road.

Driving is on the right-hand side of the road, as in the United States. However, the majority of vehicles in FSM are right-hand drive vehicles imported from Japan. Drivers in these vehicles do not have an optimal field of vision, which can interfere with driving maneuvers and drivers’ ability to establish visual contact with other road users.

If you intend to reside in the FSM, you should acquire a local driver’s license from the State Police. In most cases, the police will issue a local license to anyone who presents a U.S. driver’s license. If you will be in the FSM temporarily, a U.S. driver’s license is sufficient to rent a car and drive for the duration of your visit.

Public Transportation: There is no public transportation. Taxis are available in state capitals, but you should always be careful, because many taxi drivers are reckless. Taxis are often shared; very few taxi drivers accept single fares.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in the FSM, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of the FSM’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Micronesia should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 223-4383/4384/4385; Fax (202) 223-4391

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: enter link here

General Information

enter link here

Hague Abduction Convention

enter text here


enter text here


enter text here

Retaining an Attorney

enter text here


enter text here

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Federated States of Micronesia, is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (the Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section 204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

PLEASE NOTE: Under the Compact of Free Association between the United States and the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), FSM citizens have the right to live, work, study and assume residence in the United States with no visa requirement. However, this does not apply to adopted children from the FSM, who must obtain a U.S. immigrant visa in order to travel to reside permanently with their adoptive families in the United States.

IMPORTANT CHANGE FROM PAST VISA PRACTICE WITH REGARD TO ADOPTED CHILDREN of the FSM: In the past, some children adopted by U.S. citizens were permitted to travel to the United States to reside there permanently without obtaining U.S. immigrant visas. This is no longer possible. Adopted children from the FSM must obtain immigrant visas if they intend to take up residence in the United States.

This in no way impacts the right of FSM citizens to continue "legitimate residence" in the United States. Nor does it affect the right of FSM parents to take their own children to the United States for this purpose. This issue concerns only those children of the FSM traveling to the United States with their U.S. citizen adoptive or prospective adoptive parents.

Enforcement of the requirement that adopted children from the FSM obtain U.S. immigrant visas is in the children's best interests. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents will now have to petition USCIS for permission to adopt a child from abroad, and as part of this process undergo an exhaustive background investigation that includes criminal record checks and a home study to determine their suitability to adopt. Furthermore, enforcement of the immigrant visa requirement will ensure that only children who are legitimately adoptable orphans will receive immigrant visas.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Micronesia, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to adopt a child from the Federated States of Micronesia:

  • Residency: There is a three-year residency requirement for all U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents in the state of Pohnpei, codified by law, meaning that the parents must have lived in the FSM for three years prior to adoption proceedings. The three other states in the FSM (Kosrae, Chuuk, and Yap) have no law specifically pertaining to adoption. Adoptions are handled in the court system and addressed entirely on a case-by-case basis.
  • Age of Adopting Parents: There is no codified requirement on adoptive parents related to age. This would be addressed on a case-by-case basis during the adoption proceedings. The local attorney representing the adoptive parents would be able to address and answer these issues.
  • Marriage: There is no codified requirement on adoptive parents related to marital status. This would be addressed on a case-by-case basis during the adoption proceedings. The local attorney representing the adoptive parents would be able to address and answer these issues.
  • Income: There is no codified requirement on adoptive parents related to economic eligibility. This would be addressed on a case-by-case basis during the adoption proceedings. The local attorney representing the adoptive parents would be able to address and answer these issues.
  • Other: None

Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, FSM does not have specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption. 

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, with the intention of returning for the child when they are able to do so. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.  

How To Adopt


There is no central (federal) FSM government office responsible for adoptions. Each state (Yap, Kosrae, Pohnpei and Chuuk) has its own court system in which adoptions take place, and prospective adoptive parents should contact the appropriate court regarding a possible adoption in that jurisdiction.


The process for adopting a child from FSM generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an adoption service provider
  2. Apply to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child
  4. Adopt the child in FSM
  5. Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
  6. Bring your child home
  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider

    The recommended first step in adopting a child from FSM is to decide whether or not to use a licensed adoption service provider in the United States that can help you with your adoption. Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate. The Department of State provides information on selecting an adoption service provider on its website.

    Note: There are no adoption agencies in the FSM; however, the U.S. Embassy in Kolonia has a list of lawyers who have identified themselves as willing to assist U.S. citizen clients. Send an email request to: USEmbassy@Mail.FM

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

    In order to adopt a child from the FSM you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of FSM and U.S. immigration law. You must submit an application to be found eligible to adopt with the FSM.

    You may also file an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt.

  3. Be Matched with a Child

    If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the individual state court will provide you with a referral to a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child.

    The child must be eligible to be adopted according to FSMrequirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

  4. Adopt or Gain Legal Custody of Child in the FSM

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in the FSM generally includes the following:

    • Role of Adoption Authority: There is no central adoption authority in the FSM.
    • Role of the Court: Each state has its own court system and these courts are responsible for making the first and final determinations related to intercountry adoption. Since each court is independent, prospective adoptive parents should contact the appropriate court regarding a possible adoption in that jurisdiction. In Pohnpei, typically both the child and the adopting parents must be present at the court. In Kosrae, Chuuk, and Yap the parents do not necessarily have to be present to complete the adoption at the discretion of the court.
    • Role of Adoption Agencies: There are no adoption agencies in the FSM at present.
    • Adoption Application: The application process may vary depending on the jurisdiction in which the adoption is taking place.
    • Time Frame: There are no specific time frames provided by the FSM.
    • Adoption Fees: Attorneys' fees vary. The adoptive parents' local attorney can advise on any FSM or local court fees.
    • Documents Required: There are no special documentary requirements published for any of the local courts. Certain documents are required, however, including adoptive child's birth certificate and legal status, adoptive parents' marriage certificate, proof of identity, and proof of nationality (passport). The adoptive parents' attorney would address the required documents on a case-by-case basis.

      Note:Additional documents may be requested.

    • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. If so, the Department of State, Authentications Office may be able to assist.
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Orphan Status

    After you finalize the adoption (or gain legal custody) in the FSM, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must determine whether the child meets the definition of orphan under U.S. law. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative.

  6. Bring Your Child Home

    Once your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), you need to apply for several documents for your child before you can apply for a U.S. immigrant visa to bring your child home to the United States:

    • Birth Certificate
      If you have finalized the adoption in the FSM you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

      If you have been granted custody for the purpose of adopting the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will, in most cases, not yet include your name.
    • FSM Passport
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from the FSM.
    • U.S. Immigrant Visa
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the United States Embassy in Manila, the Philippines. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child. 

      Specific questions about adoption in the Federated States of Micronesia may be addressed to the U.S. Embassy in Kolonia. Questions about the process of obtaining an immigrant visa for an adopted FSM child should be addressed to the U.S. Embassy in Manila, the Philippines.

      Note: Visa issuance after the final interview now generally takes a minimum of 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview. Adoptive parents should carefully check the list of local Philippine holidays when arranging their travel plans to avoid unanticipated delays.


For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: An adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship. 

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad


U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.


U.S. Citizens do not need a visa to travel to the FSM. For more information on traveling to the FSM, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability. 


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State. Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in the FSM, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

There are no specific requirements for adoptive parents following adoption in FSM.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family— whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services. 

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents. 

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in the Federated States of Micronesia 
U.S. Embassy Kolonia
P.O. Box 1286
Pohnpei, FM 96941 
Tel: (691) 320-2187
Fax: (691) 320-2186
Email: USEmbassy@mail.fm
Internet: https://fm.usembassy.gov/

U.S. Embassy in the Philippines
( The U.S. Embassy in Kolonia, Micronesia, does not process immigrant visa cases for adopted children. All such cases are handled at the U.S. Embassy in Manila, the Philippines. See the contact information below.)
U.S. Embassy Manila
PSC 500
APO AP 96515-1000
Telephone: +63-2-528-6300, ext 2324
E-mail: MNLIVCONG@state.gov

FSM Adoption Authority: Local Courts 
The Honorable Cyprian Manmaw
Chief Justice, Yap Supreme Court
P.O. Box 435
Colonia, Yap FM 96943

The Honorable Camillo Noket
Chief Justice
Chuuk Supreme Court
P.O. Box J
Weno, Chuuk FM 96942

The Honorable Aliksa B. Aliksa
Chief Justice, Kosrae Supreme Court
P.O. Box 610 Tofol, Kosrae FM 96944

The Honorable Judah C. Johnny
Chief Justice, Pohnpei Supreme Court
P.O. Box 1449
Kolonia, Pohnpei FM 96941

Embassy of the Federated States of Micronesia
1725 N Street NW
Washington, DC 20036Tel:
Tel: 202-223-4383
Email: fsm@fsmembassy.org

The FSM also has consulates in: Guam and Hawaii

Consulate of the Federated States of Micronesia 
International Trade Center
590 South Marine Drive
Tamuning, Guam 96911
Telephone: 671-646-9154/55/56
Email address: fsmcongm@kuentos.guam.net

Consulate of the Federated States of Micronesia 
3049 Ualena St, Suite 908
Honolulu HI 96819
Telephone: 808-836-4775
Email address: fsmcghnl@aol.com

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
Email: AskCI@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 48 Months
A-2 None Multiple 48 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Two 3 Months
B-2 None Two 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None Two 3 Months
C-1 None Two 3 Months
C-1/D None Two 3 Months
C-2 None Two 3 Months
C-3 None Two 3 Months
CW-1 11 None One 3 Months
CW-2 11 None One 3 Months
D None Two 3 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Two 3 Months
F-2 None Two 3 Months
G-1 None Multiple 48 Months
G-2 None Multiple 48 Months
G-3 None Multiple 48 Months
G-4 None Multiple 48 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None One 3 Months 3
H-1C None One 3 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None One 3 Months 3
H-3 None One 3 Months 3
H-4 None One 3 Months 3
I None One 3 Months
J-1 4 None One 3 Months
J-2 4 None One 3 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
L-1 None One 3 Months
L-2 None One 3 Months
M-1 None Two 3 Months
M-2 None Two 3 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None One 3 Months 3
O-2 None One 3 Months 3
O-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-1 None One 3 Months 3
P-2 None One 3 Months 3
P-3 None One 3 Months 3
P-4 None One 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None One 3 Months 3
R-1 None One 3 Months
R-2 None One 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Compact of Free Association

The Amended Compact of Free Association between the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) and the United States allows citizens of the FSM to travel, live, work and study in the United States with no visa requirements. However, if an FSM citizen has been deported based on a felony conviction, they lose those rights and must appeal to DHS for consideration of a waiver. U.S. citizens, likewise, are free to travel to the FSM without visas. 

Title One, Section 126 of the Compact provides that U.S. embassies will provide services for FSM citizens in countries where the FSM has no official representation “on the same basis as for citizens of the United States.” In such cases, Post should refer information concerning the case to Embassy Kolonia at KoloniaACS@state.gov for forwarding to the FSM government.

Visa Requirements for Entry Into Micronesia

No visas are required for entry into the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), although visitors should have valid passports and a round-trip ticket.  

  • U.S. citizens are permitted to stay in the FSM indefinitely.
  • Non-U.S. citizens are automatically permitted to remain as tourists for 30 days, and can extend their stay up to 90 days.  If foreign visitors wish to remain longer, however, they must apply for a visitor or work permit with a local sponsor. 

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates


  • Pohnpei: Pohnpei State Supreme Court, P.O. Box 1449, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM 96941.
  • Kosrae: Kosrae State Supreme Court, P.O. Box J, Lelu, Kosrae, FSM 96944.
  • Chuuk: Chuuk State Supreme Court, P.O. Box 187, Moem, Chuuk, FSM 96942.
  • Yap: Yap State Supreme Court, P.O. Box 546, Colonia, Yap. FSM 96943.

Death Certificates

Available from the same sources listed for birth certificates.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available from the same sources listed for birth certificates.

Divorce Orders

Available from the same sources listed for birth certificates.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records


  • Pohnpei: Public Safety Office, Kolonia, Pohnpei, FSM 96941.
  • Kosrae: Office of the Attorney General, P.O. Box 27, Lelu, Kosrae, FSM 96944.
  • Chuuk: Public Safety Office, Moen, Chuuk, FSM 96942.
  • Yap: Public Safety Office, Colonia, Yap, FSM 96943.

Prison Records

Available from same sources listed for police records.

Military Records

The FSM is defended by the U.S. under Title III of the Compact of Free Association, and has no military of its own.  FSM citizens are eligible to serve in the U.S. Armed Forces under the terms of the Compact of Free Association. Records would be available from the appropriate branch of the U.S. military.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

The Federated States of Micronesia is a Freely Associated State (FAS), under the Compact of Free Association with the United States, which took effect on November 3, 1986.  The FSM previously was part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (TTPI), a UN Trusteeship administered by the United States.

Citizens of the FSM are not U.S. citizens or nationals, but they have unrestricted access to the U.S. to live, work, study and assume “habitual residence” with no visa requirement.  Alien spouses or children do not share this privilege.  FSM citizens in the United States must always be in possession of a valid FSM passport. 

An FSM citizen can become a legal permanent resident, and thereby qualify for U.S. citizenship, only through meeting current Immigration and Nationality Act requirements.

  • FSM Government Passport: The FSM regular passport has a dark blue cover, and is valid for five years from date of issue.
  • Official and Diplomatic Passport: The official passport has a black cover and is valid for five years. The diplomatic passport has a maroon cover and is valid for five years. Diplomatic passports may, however, be issued for a shorter period.

Other Records

Not Applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Kolonia, Federated States of Micronesia (Embassy) -- Nonimmigrant Visas

Manila, Philippines
(Embassy) -- Immigrant Visas

All IV applications for FSM citizens and aliens resident in the Federated States of Micronesia are processed by Embassy Manila. 

Visa Services

All of the Federated States of Micronesia, including Yap, Truk, Pohnpei (previously Ponape and Kosrae (Variant Kusaie) States. IV applications for FSM citizens and aliens resident in the Federated States of Micronesia are processed by the American Embassy at Manila, Philippines.