CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Fiji
Official Country Name: Republic of Fiji
Country Code 2-Letters: FJ
Country Code 3-Letters: FJI
Street: 158 Princes Rd, Tamavua
Suva, Fiji Islands
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1834.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Suva
Street Address: 158 Princes Rd, Tamavua
Suva, Fiji Islands
Phone: +(679) 331-4466
Emergency Phone: +(679) 772-8049
Fax: +(679) 330-2267
Email: SuvaACS@state.gov
Web: https://fj.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages



Country Map
Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

At least six months after your scheduled departure from Fiji

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required for stays of fewer than four months



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

Currency over F$10,000 or the U.S. dollar equivalent must be declared

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

Currency over F$10,000 or the U.S. dollar equivalent 

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Suva

158 Princes Rd, Tamavua
Suva, Fiji Islands
Telephone: +(679) 331-4466
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(679) 772-8049
Fax: +(679) 330-2267

Destination Description

 See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Fiji for information on U.S. - Fiji relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

To enter Fiji, you will need:

  • A passport valid for at least six months after your scheduled departure date from Fiji
  • Proof that you have sufficient funds for your stay in Fiji
  • Onward or return ticket

You do not need a visa if you are a tourist staying fewer than four months.

For more information on entry/exit requirements and the most current visa information:

  • Visit the Embassy of the Republic of Fiji website; or
  • Contact the embassy at 2000 M Street NW, Suite 710, Washington DC 20036, by phone at (202) 466-8320 and fax at (202) 466-8325.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Fiji. There are no restrictions to long-term or short-term visits, and no HIV tests are required for a visit shorter than five months. A medical clearance is required for those seeking a work permit in Fiji. Once medical clearance is obtained, the work permit committee will decide on a case-by-case basis whether or not to approve the permit. Please verify this information with the Embassy of the Republic of Fiji before you travel.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page

Safety and Security

Remain cautious and alert in public places. Although demonstrations are not common in Fiji, you should avoid demonstrations and large crowds, remembering that even peaceful demonstrations can turn violent unexpectedly. Messages regarding demonstrations and strikes, explosive device/suspicious packages, and weather-related events are posted on the embassy’s website.

Crime: Urban areas experience a higher incidence of crime than do rural areas. If you are not familiar with an area, ask hotel staff about areas to avoid.

You should always protect your valuables and be aware that theft from hotel rooms, purse snatching, and pick pocketing are the most common crimes against tourists. Be attentive to your personal safety and be cautious about sharing too much personal information about where you are from and where you are staying while traveling.

Reports of sexual assault against female tourists have increased. You should not walk alone after dark and always be sure to avoid isolated and deserted areas.

Since some crime takes place in taxis, do not allow taxis to pick up other passengers while you are en route. Similarly, you should not enter a taxi already carrying other passengers.

See the Department of State and the FBI webpages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 911 and contact the U.S. Embassy at + (679) 772-8049.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are prosecutable in the United States regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Respect any cultural sites with security warnings posted against photography.

If you are suspected of being involved in criminal activities, you will be taken in for questioning and asked for identification.

Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Fiji are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines.

If you are stopped and found to be driving under the influence of alcohol, you will be taken to the police station for further tests. If the second test is affirmative, you will be detained in a prison cell to sober up, typically overnight, and you will be charged the following morning.

If you do not have a permanent address in Fiji, the local police will keep you in custody and will arrange for a special court hearing with a Magistrate. These hearings take place during regular work days and not on weekends or holidays. If you have a permanent residence in Fiji, you will be charged and may be released, and then you will be asked to attend court on a set date.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

You should carry a copy of your U.S. passport at all times. If questioned by local authorities, you will need to show proof of identity and U.S. citizenship.

According to Fijian law, a person detained for criminal actions may be held for a maximum of 48 hours before being charged. Police authorities should contact the U.S. Embassy within 24 hours of your detention or arrest .

Water Sports: Many visitors to Fiji participate in water sports, including surfing, scuba diving, snorkeling, and operating jet-skis. Surfing on Fiji's numerous reef breaks can be highly dangerous.

Scuba Diving: If you scuba dive or snorkel while in Fiji, you should

  • Check the references, licenses, and equipment of tour operators before agreeing to or paying for a tour.
  • Rent equipment only from trustworthy operators and be sure to receive training before using the equipment. Some rental water sports equipment may not be properly maintained or inspected. 
  • Know that local dive masters may not consider your skill level when they organize a trip. Deaths and serious accidents have occurred in the past because basic safety measures were not taken during diving and snorkeling trips. 
  • Remember that safety precautions and emergency responses may not meet U.S. standards.

Fiji has only one decompression chamber to provide medical assistance for dive-related injuries. The chamber is located in Suva, which is far from most resorts. Please note that the chamber is not always fully functioning.

Some travel insurance doesn’t cover “risky” outdoor activities. If planning on diving, it is recommended you look at the Divers Alert Network (DAN) website for diver’s insurance.

Trekking: Terrain in the Fiji islands can be hazardous. You should speak with local guides and/or hotel staff before starting a trek. It is best to hike with a companion and stay on trails that are clearly marked.

Customs: There are strict regulations and customs enforcement for importing and exporting items such as food, alcohol, tobacco, and fire arms of any type in Fiji. Bringing animals into Fiji is strictly controlled. Pets may be imported only from certain designated rabies-free areas. If you want to bring a pet into Fiji, contact the Ministry of Agriculture in Suva approximately six months in advance to find out the details. Contact the Embassy of Fiji in Washington, DC, at (202) 466-8320 for specific information regarding customs requirements and see the Customs Information sheet for additional information.

Purchasing Real Estate: Purchasing real estate in Fiji can be risky. Be cautious before you enter into commitments to invest in property. You should gather reliable information and hire experienced Fijian legal counsel regarding any real estate investment. Fijian law and practices concerning real estate differ substantially from those in the United States.

Natural Disasters: Fiji is located in an area of high seismic activity. Although the probability of a major earthquake occurring during your trip is rare, earthquakes can and do occur. Undersea earthquakes in the South Pacific can generate destructive tsunamis. Some cities in Fiji have siren warning systems in place; tsunami warnings are also transmitted through local radio and television stations. Most coastal resorts and hotels have tsunami evacuation plans in place, and guests should carefully follow staff instructions in the event of a tsunami warning.

Cyclones: The cyclone season is November through April. The Fiji Meteorological Service maintains a Tropical Cyclone Warning Center in Nadi serving the Southwest Pacific Region. General information regarding disaster preparedness is available by visiting the Bureau of Consular Affairs web site and the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) home page.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: The new constitution provides that sexual orientation, gender, and gender identity and expression are prohibited grounds for discrimination; however, the right to equality and nondiscrimination may be limited for the purpose of adoption, marriage, devolution of property on death and pension, and excluding individuals from holding public office.

The crimes decree does not criminalize consensual same-sex sexual activity and recognizes male-on-male rape as a crime.

Fiji law prohibits discrimination in employment based on sexual orientation; there are no laws specifically prohibiting discrimination against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) persons in other areas.

In general attitudes toward LGBTI individuals have become more accepting, especially among the young, and articles promoting tolerance are regularly found in the media. For more detailed information about LGBTI rights in Fiji, you may review the State Department’s annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of the Department of State's Human Rights report for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues. All persons are considered equal under the law, and discrimination against persons with disabilities in employment, education, provision of housing and land, or provision of other state services is illegal. Statutes provide for the right of access to places and all modes of transport are open to the public. Public health regulations include penalties for noncompliance; however, there is little or no enforcement of laws protecting persons with disabilities.

Building regulations require new public buildings to be accessible to persons with disabilities, but only a few existing buildings meet this requirement. Under the Health and Safety at Work Act, all new office spaces must be accessible to persons with disabilities. The number of disabled-accessible vehicles in the country is small.

There are some special schools for persons with physical, cognitive, and sensory disabilities, but cost and location limit access. Opportunities for a secondary school education for those with disabilities are very limited.

Students: See our Students Abroad page.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Health-care facilities in Fiji's urban areas are adequate for most routine medical problems. In rural areas, staff training is limited and there are often shortages of supplies and medications. Doctors and hospitals expect immediate cash payment for health services. Travelers should carry adequate supplies of any needed prescription medicines, along with copies of their prescriptions, the generic name of the drugs, and a supply of preferred over-the-counter medications.

Emergency response is extremely limited. Ambulance availability is minimal, and ambulances are often poorly equipped and not staffed with medical personnel.

Two major hospitals, the Lautoka Hospital in the western city of Lautoka and the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva, provide limited emergency and outpatient services.

A recompression chamber at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva can treat decompression sickness; however, the chamber is not always fully functioning.

Although a private hospital in Suva provides Western-style medical treatment, the standards of care are below normal United States care. Persons with medical emergencies may be evacuated to Australia, New Zealand, or the United States, which can cost tens of thousands of dollars and will be considered only if the patient has adequate insurance or pays upfront. In some cases, a medical evacuation to Australia or New Zealand can require a medical visa.

U.S. health care practitioners coming to Fiji to volunteer or practice medicine must be certified by the Fiji Ministry of Health. Please contact the Fiji Ministry of Health prior to your visit for more information at (679) 330-6177.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas accept only cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription.

Dengue fever, carried by infected mosquitoes, occurs throughout the country of Fiji, especially during the rainy season.

Zika Virus: There is a risk for Zika infection in Fiji. For up-to-date information regarding Zika virus in Fiji, please visit the CDC website. Zika virus is a mosquito-borne illness that can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby as well as through sexual contact. The CDC has concluded that the Zika virus is a cause of microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects in some fetuses and babies born to infected mothers.

Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Traffic moves on the left in Fiji. While most roads in urban areas are paved, they are poorly maintained. Roads outside the city are usually not paved. In the city, be especially attentive when driving after dark. Outside of the city, it is best to avoid driving after dark except in emergency or exceptional circumstances. Insufficient lighting, stray animals, and potholes make driving dangerous and particularly hazardous at night.

Traffic Laws: Bicycle riders should be cautious as there is no separate lane for cyclists.

Public Transportation: Avoid using mini vans for public transportation, due to safety concerns. There have been recent reports of public buses catching fire.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information. Also, we suggest that you visit the website of Fiji’s national tourist office and Land Transport Authority, which is the national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Fiji’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Fiji’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Fiji should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at www.marad.dot.gov/msci. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (https://homeport.uscg.mil), and the NGA broadcast warnings website https://msi.nga.mil/NGAPortal/MSI.portal (select “broadcast warnings”).

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 466-8320 (202) 466-8325

New York, NY (212) 687-4130 (212) 687-3963

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Fiji, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Fiji. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Fiji acceded to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) on March 16, 1999; however, the United States and Fiji are not yet treaty partners.  Until Fiji and the United States establish a treaty relationship per Article 38 of the Convention, parents whose children have been abducted from the United States to Fiji or wrongfully retained in Fiji are unable to invoke the Convention to pursue their children’s return or to seek access to them.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  The government of Fiji maintains information about family law on the Internet here.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Fiji and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.  

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Website: travel.state.gov/

Email: AskCI@state.gov 

Parental child abduction is not a specific crime in Fiji but may be punishable under the offense of “child stealing.”

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Fiji and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Fiji for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Fiji are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Suva, Fiji posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Department of State is not aware of any mediation programs in Fiji.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Fiji is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Fiji.

Intercountry adoption is not possible from Fiji at this time.  For more information please see the related notice.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Fiji you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

To bring an adopted child to United States from Fiji, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Fiji also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: According to Fiji law American citizens wishing to adopt orphans from that country MUST be residents in the Republic of Fiji. This means applicants are living and/or working in Fiji, or have property or other demonstrated connections to Fiji. Prospective adoptive parents must be long-term residents of Fiji (at least 3 months) in order for them to apply for and be granted a full and final adoption order. Prospective adoptive parents must be physically present in court to file an application for adoption and must remain in Fiji until the final adoption order is granted.

    In addition, applicants must reside with a child or contribute to a child's welfare for a minimum of three months prior to application.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: At least one prospective adoptive parent must have attained the age of 25. Applicants must be at least 21 years older than the child.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: A single male applicant cannot adopt a female child. Fiji law permits both single and married foreigners to adopt Fijian children.
  • INCOME REQUIREMENTS:Income should be above average and prospective adoptive parents should live in a conducive environment. Proof of income will have to be submitted to the Department of Social Welfare.
  • OTHER REQUIREMENTS: The applicants must have no adverse police record relating to any offense involving violence towards a child or abuse of child.

    The applicant must be able to provide a secure and stable home environment for the child.

    The court and the Department of Social Welfare are inclined to look more favorable on cases where the child and the adoptive parents are related by blood. Most orphan visa cases involve prospective adoptive parents who are former residents of Fiji and who have family ties in Fiji. The Fijian court takes these issues into account when deciding whether the prospective adoptive parents have fulfilled Fiji's residency requirements.

Who Can Be Adopted

Fiji has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption. You cannot adopt a child in Fiji unless he or she meets these requirements.

In addition to these requirements, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law for you to bring him or her back to the United States. Learn more about these U.S. requirements.


  • Relinquishment Requirements: An adoption order shall not be made in the case of any child unless the child has been continuously in the care and possession of the prospective adoptive parents for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the order.
  • Abandonment Requirements: An adoption order shall not be made except with the consent of every person or body who is a parent or guardian of the infant, or who is liable by virtue of any order or agreement to contribute to the maintenance of the infant:

    Provided that the court may dispense with any consent required by this subsection if it is satisfied:

    • In the case of a parent or guardian of the infant, that he has abandoned, neglected or persistently ill-treated the infant, or has made no contribution to its maintenance for a period in excess of five years;
    • In the case of a person liable as aforesaid to contribute to the maintenance of the infant, that he has persistently neglected or refused so to contribute;
    • In any case, that the person whose consent is required cannot be found, or is incapable of giving his consent or that his consent is unreasonably withheld.
    • Abandoned children are usually wards of the state and the local Government appoints the Social Welfare Department to be their legal guardians.
  • Age Requirements: The child should be under the age of 21 years old.
  • Sibling Requirements: The Social Welfare Department prefers that a sibling of the prospective adoptive child be adopted by the same family, if the sibling is also available for adoption.
  • Requirements for Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Living conditions of prospective adoptive parents must be conducive to the child's needs.
  • Waiting Period: Prospective adoptive parents must have had the child in their care and possession for a period of three continuous months before an adoption order will be issued by the court. The total waiting period could be less than four months.

How To Adopt


The Social Welfare Department, under the Ministry of Women, Social Welfare and Poverty, is in charge of overseeing intercountry adoptions.

For people residing in Fiji, the adoption authority in Fiji is the Magistrate's court having jurisdiction over the adopted child's place of residence. Almost every town and city in Fiji has a court.


The process for adopting a child from Fiji generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Fiji
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  6. Bring Your Child Home
  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider

    The first step in adopting a child from Fiji is usually to select a licensed agency in the United States that can help with your adoption. Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate. Learn more about choosing the right adoption service provider.

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

    To bring an adopted child from Fiji to the United States, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-600A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    In addition to meeting the U.S. requirements for adoptive parents, you need to meet the requirements of Fiji as described in the Who Can Adopt section.

  3. Be Matched with a Child

    If you are eligible to adopt, you will have to make your own arrangements to identify a child available for adoption. Fiji has specific intercountry-adoption administrative arrangements established with Australia, New Zealand and Pacific Island Countires. Unfortunately, there are no inter-country arrangements between Fiji and the USA. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of a particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child. .

    The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Fijian requirements, as described in the Who Can be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law. Learn more.

  4. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Fiji

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Fiji generally includes the following:

    • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: The Social Welfare Department, under the Ministry of Women Social Welfare and Poverty Alleviation, oversees all adoptions. The Social Welfare Department is appointed by the court to conduct home studies. The magistrate considers the Social Welfare Department's report as highly persuasive when deciding cases.

      There are no lists of local attorneys in Fiji who specialize in adoptions but almost all legal firms in Fiji can assist in facilitating adoption cases in Fiji.
    • ROLE OF THE COURT: The prospective adoptive parents file an Application for Adoption with the Magistrate's Court.

      The Court appoints the Fiji Social Welfare Department as Guardian Ad Litem. The Social Welfare Department conducts a home-study investigation that assesses the prospective adoptive parents' character, financial competence and suitability. The primary consideration is whether the proposed adoption will be in the best interests of the child.

      The Magistrate's Court considers whether to grant an Adoption Order based on the Social Welfare Department's report. If the Social Welfare report is favorable, the court tends to grant the Adoption Order.
    • ADOPTION APPLICATION: Tips for working the adoption through the local system:
      • Seek legal advice from a local lawyer.
      • Have the Department of Social Welfare involved from the beginning. It is best to contact it in writing.
      • Being related to the infant is not necessary but often speeds up the process.
    • TIME FRAME: The time frame from the filing of the motion/application until the adoption order is issued is approximately four to five months. If the prospective adoptive parents are biologically related to the child, the process may be quicker.
    • ADOPTION FEES: A court fee of $45 is required to file the motion and receive the Adoption Order. Additional attorney fees will apply if the family uses a lawyer. There is no charge for the Social Welfare Department (home study) report.
    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: To file the application at the court prospective adoptive parents generally need to include:
      • Motion/Application for Adoption (drafted by an attorney).
      • Affidavits (including original marriage certificates for the perspective adopting parents and consent of release from the biological parent(s) or legal guardian for adoption and immigration)
      • Notice for an Application for an Adoption Order (Social Welfare report attached).

      The Social Welfare Department will require the prospective adoptive parents to submit:

      • Child's original birth certificate.
      • Written consent of release for adoption of the child from a parent or guardian.
      • Financial documents, such as bank statements.
      • Reference from employer and/or evidence of property.
      • Character reference from the prospective adoptive parents' community.

      NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how.

  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption

    After you finalize the adoption (or gain legal custody) in Fiji, the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) MUST determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted (Form I-600). Learn how.
  6. Bring Your Child Home

    Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for several documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

    • Birth Certificate 
      You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

      You, the parents take the Adoption Order to the Fiji Registrar General [Births, Deaths, and Marriages] in order to amend the original birth record to reflect the completion of the adoption. The new parents are issued a new birth certificate showing the prospective adoptive parents as the child's "Father" and "Mother."

    • Fijian Passport
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Fiji.

    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S. Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-600 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Learn more.

      Once prospective adoptive parent(s) receive the form I-171: Notice of approval of relative immigrant visa petition from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, we request the American prospective adopting parent(s) begin and maintain contact with the consular section of the U.S. Embassy in Suva, Fiji at the address listed above.

      NOTE: The U.S. Embassy cannot issue visas on the same day of the visa interview. Prospective adopting parents should expect to a minimum of two days for the visa to be issued. American families should make their travel plans accordingly, including allowing for the possibility of computer difficulties or other problems that could potentially further delay visa issuance.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your new child to acquire American citizenship automatically when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your new child to acquire American citizenship automatically when the court in the United States issues the final adoption decree.

* Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Fiji. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Fiji, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Fiji registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Fiji require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of Fiji and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Fiji
Embassy of the United States, Suva, Fiji
158 Princes Road, Tamavua
Suva, Fiji
Tel: (679) 331-4466
Fax: (679) 330-2267
Recorded Information: (679) 330-3888
Email: consularsuva@state.gov
Internet: https://fj.usembassy.gov/embassy/suva/

Fijian Adoption Authority
Social Welfare Department
P.O. Box 2127
Government Buildings
72 Suva Street, Toorak
Suva, Fiji
Tel: (679) 331-5585

Embassy of Fiji
Embassy of the Republic of the Fiji Islands, Washington, D.C.
2000 M Street, NW
Suite 710
Washington, D.C. 20036
Tel: 202- 466-8320
Fax: 202- 466-8325
Email: info@fijiembassydc.com
Internet: www.fijiembassydc.com

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov
Internet: http://adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

For questions about filing a Form I-800A or I-800 petition:
National Benefits Center
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)
Email: NBC.Adoptions@DHS.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please click on the individual categories along the left menu for more information.


Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Any person concerned may obtain certified copies of records of births from the Registrar General, Suva. Complete records date back to the year 1875. A full register with names of siblings is available. There may be a fee for this service.

Suva Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Office

Ground Floor, Suvavou House

Victoria Parade


Telephone – (679) 331-5280

Web – www.bdm.gov.fj


Death Certificates are available.  Any person concerned may obtain certified copies of records of deaths from the Registrar General, Suva.  Complete records date back to the year 1875.  A full register with names of surviving spouse and children is available.  There may be a fee for this service.

Suva Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Office

Ground Floor, Suvavou House

Victoria Parade


Telephone – (679) 331-5280

Web – www.bdm.gov.fj

Burial certificates are unavailable.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Marriage Certificates are available.  Foreigners who marry at resorts and hotels in Fiji must ensure that the marriage celebrant registers the marriage with the Office of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Suva Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Office

Ground Floor, Suvavou House

Victoria Parade


Telephone – (679) 331-5280

Web – www.bdm.gov.fj

Divorce Certificates

Divorce Certificates are available from the court where the divorce proceedings were held and decision issued.

Judicial Department – Registry Family Court

P.O.Box 2215 Government Buildings

Suva, Fiji

Telephone: (679) 321-1811

Web – www.judiciary.gov.fj


Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Adoption Certificates are available from the court where the adoption proceedings were held and decision issued.

Judicial Department – Registry Family Court

P.O.Box 2215 Government Buildings

Suva, Fiji

Telephone: (679) 321-1811

Web – www.judiciary.gov.fj


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Police records are available from the year 1875 and are issued by writing to either the Director, Criminal Investigation Department or the Officer-in-Charge, Criminal Records Department, P.O. Box 239, Police Headquarters, Suva, Fiji. In the application the applicant must authorize the Fiji police to inform the United States Consulate at (PLACE) in writing of the complete details of any police record.  The Fiji police will send the records directly to the U.S. embassy or consulate specified by the applicant.  The applicant must also submit a set of fingerprints taken on Form FD-258. Fingerprints can be taken at any local police station. Applicants will need to submit the completed Form, fingerprint card, copy of their passport, birth certificate and if married, their marriage certificate and/or name change document.

This will help applicants submit all the documents with their initial application. Descriptive information should follow in this order:

  1. Full name and aliases, if any
  2. Father's and mother's full names
  3. Date and place of birth
  4. Height
  5. Color of eyes
  6. Color of hair
  7. Nationality
  8. Present/former residential and business addresses
  9. Passport number, and date and place of issuance
  10. Marital status
  11. Spouse's name (if married)

There may be a fee for this service. Requests for Fiji police clearances should be accompanied by a bank draft for the appropriate fee made payable to the Fiji Police Department in Fiji dollars. Requesters who apply to the Fiji police in person may also pay in cash.

Court Records

Available from the court where the court proceedings were held and decision issued.

Judicial Department – Registry Magistrate’s Court
P.O.Box 2215 Government Buildings
Suva, Fiji
Telephone: (679) 321-1623
Web – www.judiciary.gov.fj

Prison Records

Available. Prison records are available from the year 1879 and are issued by the Superintendent of Prisons, Suva, to any person concerned. There may be a fee for this service.

Fiji Corrections Service
Corrections Headquarters
Fiji Employee Union Building
Gordon Street
Telephone: (+679) 330-3512

Military Records

Available. Military records are issued and certified by the Commandant, Fiji Defence Force, Suva, to any person concerned, but complete records are only available from the year 1924.

Republic of Fiji Military Forces
4A 4B Berkley Crescent
Telephone: (+679) 331-3799
Web: www.rfmf.mil.fj

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Available.  Please contact:

Fiji Immigration Department
Rodwell Road
Telephone: (+679) 331-2622
Web: www.immigration.gov.fj


Other Records

Available, if required to determine identity and admissibility. Any person concerned may contact the Registrar General, Suva at the address below. Complete records date back to the year 1875. There may be a fee for this service.

Suva Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages Office
Ground Floor, Suvavou House
Victoria Parade
Telephone – (679) 331-5280
Web – www.bdm.gov.fj

Visa Issuing Posts

Suva, Fiji (Embassy)

158 Princes Road
P.O. Box 218
Suva, Fiji

Visa Services

The U.S. Embassy in Suva, Fiji provides all visa services for Fiji and the following areas:

  • French Polynesia
  • Kiribati
  • Nauru
  • New Caledonia
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
  • Wallis and Futuna Islands