Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog

Denmark (including Greenland)

Country Name: Denmark
Official Country Name: Kingdom of Denmark
Country Code 2-Letters: DK
Country Code 3-Letters: DNK
Street: U.S. Embassy Copenhagen Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24 2100 København Ø Phone: (+45) 33 41 71 00
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3167.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Copenhagen
Street Address: Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 Copenhagen
Phone: +(45) 3341-7100
Emergency Phone: +(45) 3341-7400
Fax: +(45) 3538-9616
Email: copenhagenACS@state.gov
Web: https://dk.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages

Country Map
Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Six months is recommended

Blank Passport Pages:

Two pages per stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required for stays under 90 days



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

10,000 Euros (or equivalent)

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

10,000 Euros (or equivalent)

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Copenhagen

Dag Hammarskjölds Allé 24
2100 Copenhagen

Telephone: +(45) 3341-7100

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(45) 3341-7400

Fax: +(45) 3538-9616

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Denmark for information on U.S.-Denmark relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Denmark is a party to the Schengen Agreement. Visit the Embassy of Denmark website for the most current visa information.

  • Passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your stay. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.
  • You may enter for Denmark for up to 90 days for tourist purposes without a visa.
  • Further useful information, in English and Danish, can be found on the Danish Immigration Service website.
  • If you are a student or prospective student, your student visa allows you to enter 30 days prior to the start of your program and remain for 14 days after the end of your program. More detailed information is available on the Danish Immigration Service website.
  • Greenland and the Faroe Islands are not party to the Schengen Agreement; however, you may travel to either location for 90 days for business or tourism purposes without a visa.
  • Residence and work permits issued exclusively for Greenland or the Faroe Islands are not valid for travel to Schengen countries.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Denmark.

Dual Nationality: As of September 1, 2015, Denmark allows the acquisition of dual citizenship. More information can be found on the Danish Ministry of Immigration’s website.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page.

Safety and Security

Terrorism: Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue plotting possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. On February 14, 2015, at an event in Copenhagen, Denmark, a gunman opened fire killing one person and wounding three police officers. U.S. citizens should be aware that attacks can take place without prior warning. 

When traveling or living in Denmark, you should:

  • Be aware of your local security situation, and take appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.  
  • You should monitor media and local information sources, and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities.  
  • You should address specific safety concerns to Danish law enforcement authorities who have responsibility for the safety and security of all residents and visitors to Denmark.
  • Avoid demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. 
  • Large public gatherings can affect all major incoming transportation arteries to the city in which they occur. 

Freetown Christiania, located in the Christianshavn area of Copenhagen, is known for illicit drug activity. Recent drug enforcement efforts have resulted in clashes between the police and Christiania residents. Christiania residents have imposed a strict no-photography policy; tourists have been assaulted and robbed for taking pictures. Police and emergency services are limited in Christiania.

Crime: Violent confrontations involving organized crime groups operating in Denmark occasionally take place. Travelers should be aware of their surroundings and immediately leave the area if they feel threatened. Pickpocketing and purse-snatching operate aggressively in areas frequented by tourists, as well as on crowded trains and buses, and at train stations – Copenhagen Central Station in particular. More sophisticated thieves also target the Copenhagen Airport and cruise ship quays. Do not place any bags containing valuables, such as your passport or credit cards, on the ground or on the back of a chair. Watch your computer bag, which is particularly desirable to thieves.  U.S. citizens are encouraged to review the OSAC Crime and Safety Report for more information on Crime in Denmark.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police at 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at +(45) 3341-7100 or +(45) 3341-7400 for after-hours assistance. For non-life threatening situations, individuals in the greater Copenhagen area may dial 1813 to reach an urgent medical helpline. Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home in cases of destitution
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Denmark Victim Compensation Program: Denmark has a program to provide financial compensation to victims who suffer serious injuries due to crime.

Domestic Violence:  U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some crimes are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. See our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information. 

  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs are strict, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines
  • Driving under the influence may lead to confiscation of your driver’s license and could land you immediately in jail.
  • Possession of dangerous weapons, including knives, may result in criminal penalties.
  • Your U.S. passport won’t help you avoid arrest or prosecution if you break the law in Denmark.

Danish Compulsory Military Service:

  • All male citizens 18 years of age and resident in Denmark must participate in a military draft. 
  • Conscription periods vary from four to 12 months, according to specialization.

Greenland: Special Circumstances

Removal of Natural Resources:

  • Greenland has strict laws regarding removal of natural resources, including any precious and semi-precious metals, stones, and gemstones. Check with local authorities before attempting to extract or export any of these materials.

Cruise Ship Travel: If you are considering travel on cruise ships near Greenland, you should:

  • Be aware that search and rescue capabilities are restricted due to limited capacity and long distances between populated areas.
  • Be aware that the combined search-and-rescue ship capacity is less than what would be needed to respond to an incident.
  • Check the operational records and the experience of captains and crews operating vessels in Arctic waters when selecting cruises off the shores of Greenland.

Greenland by land: Greenland’s landscape is vast and remote. Periods of darkness, extreme temperatures, and fast-changing weather are common.

  • You should use experienced guides.
  • Official permission is required for travel into the huge Northeast Greenland National Park or for treks across the central ice fields. Check with your tour operator to make sure that the company has received the necessary permission for such trips.
  • Persons unfamiliar with the area can become disoriented easily and risk long-term exposure to the elements.
  • Greenland mountains are of moderate altitude, but are technically difficult.  You should be familiar with ascent and descent routes.
  • Local authorities will rescue individuals in difficulty, but land search and rescue capabilities are limited and subject to weather restrictions.
  • You may be billed for the cost of rescue services.
  • For more information about traveling to Greenland please visit Greenland Tourism

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Denmark. See our LGBTI travel information page and section six of the Department of State's Human Rights Report for further details.

Persons with Mobility Issues: Danish law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical and mental disabilities in employment, education, and access to health care or other state services. In addition:

  • Danish law mandates access to buildings, education, information, and communications for persons with disabilities.
  • Public transportation can accommodate persons with disabilities, but many buildings and outdoor sites are not easily accessible for the disabled. 
  • Accessibility information is available at Visit Denmark.

Students: See our students abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for women travelers.


Excellent medical facilities are widely available in Denmark. Hospitals are modern and fully-equipped. Medical facilities in Greenland and the Faroe Islands are limited, and evacuation is required for serious illness or injury.  

  • Emergency medical treatment is free of charge; however, the patient is charged for follow-up care.
  • Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.

We do not pay medical bills, and U.S. Medicare does not pay claims overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation. 

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Denmark to ensure the medication is legal in Denmark. Always carry your prescriptions medication in its original packing with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, go to:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Danish roads are of high quality and connect all areas of the country.

  • Driving in Denmark is on the right side of the road.
  • Road signs use standard international symbols.
  • Many urban streets have traffic lanes reserved for public transport only.
  • Bicycles are widely used, and bike lanes are very common.
  • Bicycles have the right-of-way. Many accidents occur when pedestrians and vehicles fail to give the right-of-way to bicycles.

Greenland has no established road system. Most domestic travel is by foot, boat, or air.

The majority of the Faroe Islands are interconnected by roads and tunnels, and boats. On the large islands even small hamlets are generally accessible by road. Travel on the smaller islands is mostly done on foot.

Traffic Laws: 

  • You must be 18 years of age to drive a car in Denmark.
  • Your U.S. state’s driver’s license is acceptable in Denmark for up to 90 days.
  • Long-term residents must obtain a valid Danish driver’s license.
  • The speed limit is 50 km/h in urban areas, 80 km/h on open roads, and 130km/h on expressway, unless otherwise noted on traffic signs.
  • You must use your seat belt while driving in a vehicle.
  • Children between 3-12 years of age or under 36kg and/or 135 cm in height must be in a car seat.
  • Driving any vehicle, including a bicycle, under the influence of alcohol or drugs is considered a very serious offense. 
  • It is illegal to use a hand-held cell phone while driving.
  • Laws are strictly enforced and violations can result in stiff fines and jail sentences.

Public Transportation: Denmark has an extensive and efficient public transportation system. Trains, buses, and ferries connect Copenhagen with other major cities in Denmark and with Norway, Sweden, Poland, and Germany.

Please refer to our road safety page for more information. Also, we suggest that you visit Visit Denmark and Denmark’s Ministry of Transport for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Denmark’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Denmark’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Denmark should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use "Heading 1" for city name. Use "Heading 2" for phone number. Use "Heading 3" for fax number. Emails will automatically be set with an email icon.

Washington, DC (202) 234-4300 (202) 328-1470

Chicago, IL (312) 787-8780 (312) 787-8744

New York, NY (212) 223-4545 (212) 754-1904

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Denmark and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since July 1, 1991.

For information concerning travel to Denmark, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Denmark.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Denmark.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 202-485-6221

The Danish Central Authority (DCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Children, Gender Equality, Integration and Social Affairs.  The DCA reviews the application for completeness and forwards it to the Bailiff’s Court (Fogedretten) in the jurisdiction of the child’s residence.  The DCA will forward the completed application to the appropriate court within two working days.  The DCA can be reached at:

Ministry of Children, Gender Equality, Integration and Social Affairs Child Abduction Unit (Familieretskontoret)
Holmens Kanal 22
1060 Copenhagen K
Telephone: +45-3392 9300
Telephone Hot Line: +45-4050 5026

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Denmark, the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State’s website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process. The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the DCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Danish central authorities.  Parents involved in Hague proceedings may obtain advice at no charge from the DCA.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Denmark.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Denmark.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The DCA will automatically appoint legal representation when the Hague application is forwarded to the Bailiff’s Court (Fogedretten). Applicant parents who choose to retain the services of a private Danish attorney to assist them with ongoing Hague proceedings are responsible for all legal costs; however, a parent can apply for legal aid through the attorney if he/she cannot afford the legal fees. A private attorney should contact the DCA prior to filing a Hague return application directly with the court.

The DCA publishes a list of family law attorneys in Denmark on their website, who are specifically familiar with Hague Convention cases. 

The U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen, Denmark, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list.Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


If desired, the parents can submit a request for mediation to the court. A judge or attorney will act as a mediator with the intent of resolving the dispute through mediation, which is free of charge. If the mediation is unsuccessful, the case will return to the court.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Denmark is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore all adoptions between Denmark and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

There are few children eligible for intercountry adoption from Denmark, with a long waiting list of Danish prospective adoptive parents. While legally possible, intercountry adoption of a Danish orphan by foreigners is unlikely. No Danish orphans have received U.S. immigrant visas in the past five fiscal years. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in rare adoption cases from Denmark, including adoptions of Danish children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by Americans living in Denmark.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

enter text here

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Denmark is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Denmark, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Read more on Who Can Adopt.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Denmark also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents.

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Adoptive parents must be legally admitted residents of Denmark to adopt domestically or intercountry. Temporary visitors without an established home in Denmark cannot apply.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: The age difference between the applicant and the prospective child should not be more than 40 years, and the adoptive pareents must be at least 25 years old.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: Married couples and same sex couples who have entered into a registered partnership must adopt as a couple. In addition, couples must be married and have lived in the same household for at least 2½ years. Single people can also adopt.
  • HEALTH REQUIREMENTS: The physical and psychological health of the applicants must meet certain criteria.
  • INCOME AND PROPERTY REQUIREMENTS: The prospective adoptive parents must be of proper financial standing and their home must be suitable to house a child.
  • CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK: The applicants cannot have a criminal record that would make them unfit to become adoptive parents.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Denmark is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Denmark must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Denmark attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Denmark's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee for you to bring him or her back to the United States.

How To Adopt


Danish Ministry of Justice
Department of Family Law
Kristineberg 6
2100 Copenhagen

The Danish Ministry of Justice is the adoption law-making branch of the Danish government and is also the Central Authority for the Hague Intercountry Adoption Convention. The local Joint Council of the Regional State Administration serves as the regional adoption authority. Joint Councils are established at the five Regional State Administrations (Statsforvaltning) in Denmark. The Regional State Administration mainly concentrates on family issues: divorce, child custody, maintenance, etc.


Because Denmark is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Denmark must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements:

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States
  5. Adopt the Child in Denmark
  6. Bring your Child Home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider:

    The first step in adopting a child from Denmark is to select an adoption service provider that has been accredited. Private adoption agencies are accredited by the Danish Ministry of Justice, Department of Family Affairs to provide adoption services. The Department certifies adoption agencies and monitors their work to ensure that they comply with the law. In special circumstances such as relative adoptions, the Danish Central authority can allow the adoption to take place without the assistance of an adoption agency.

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Read more about Eligibility Requirements.

    Once the U.S. government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your agency will forward your information to the adoption authority in Denmark. Denmark's adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Danish law. More information on this process is available in Section 5, entitled "Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in-Denmark."

  3. Be Matched with a Child:

    If both the United States and Denmark determine that you are eligible to adopt, and if a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority in Denmark may provide you with a referral for a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.

  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted and enter the United States.

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa ineligibilities.

    If the Consular Officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States he or she will send a letter (an “Article 5 Letter”) to Denmark Central Authority. Do not adopt or obtain custody of a child in Denmark before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter.

    Remember: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Denmark:

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Denmark, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Denmark.

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Denmark generally includes the following:

    • ROLE OF THE REGIONAL STATE ADMINISTRATION:Prospective adoptive parents file their initial application with the local Joint Council of the Regional State Administration in the jurisdiction where they reside. A Joint Council consists of three members - a social worker, a lawyer, and a medical officer. The Joint Council determines whether the initial application for adoption may be approved for further processing. A complete list of Joint Councils can be found at http://www.statsforvaltning.dk

      The Danish National Board of Adoption supervises the Joint Councils, observes national and international developments in adoption matters, collects information concerning adoption, negotiates with authorities and organizations in other countries, and supplies general information. Decisions reached by the Joint Councils may be appealed to the Danish National Board of Adoption at:

      Danish National Board of Adoption
      Kristineberg 6
      1470 Copenhagen
      Tel: +45-3392 3302
      Fax: +45-3927 1889
      Email: an@adoptionsnaevnet.dk 
      Web site: http://www.adoptionsnaevnet.dk

      Domestic adoptions in Denmark are processed via the five Regional State Administrations in the jurisdiction where the prospective parents reside. Prospective adoptive parents file an application with the Joint Council of their Regional State Administration. The application is processed in three phases. For more detailed information, please visit the web site for the Danish National Board of Adoption, http://www.adopt.dk, and click on “English Language Version.”

      1. The first phase determines whether the applicants meet the general eligibility requirements for adoptive parents. Applicants cannot proceed to phase two without approval by the Joint Council.
      2. The second phase is a pre-adoption counseling training program, mandatory for all applicants who have not previously adopted a child. The purpose of the training is to supply applicants with information concerning different aspects of adoption, and to provide a basis for the applicants themselves to determine whether or not they possess the necessary resources (financial as well as parenting abilities) to adopt a child. The training course runs over a weekend and a half (one weekend session, followed by one Saturday or Sunday session). Participation in a pre-adoption training program costs Danish Kroner 2,500 (approximately USD 450).
      3. The third phase includes one or more interviews with the secretariat of the Joint Council. At the end of the third phase, a home study report is presented to the Joint Council for final decision and approval. The prospective parents proceed by submitting their approval to one of the Danish government-authorized adoption agencies.
    • ROLE OF THE COURT: The Regional State Administration is responsible for issuing the Adoption Certificate, and finalizing the adoption. According to Danish law, the adopted child has the same rights as a biological child.
    • ROLE OF ADOPTION AGENCIES: Adoption agencies are accredited by the Danish government to provide adoption services.
    • TIME FRAME: From the initial contact with the Joint Council at the Regional State Administration until the adoptive parents can be united with the child, the time frame is on average 35 months.
    • ADOPTION FEES: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.

      Domestic adoptions of Danish children are free of charge. The cost of an intercountry adoption (adopting a child in a third country and then taking him or her to Denmark to reside) can be high, often ranging between USD 20,000 – 30,000 depending on the country of the child’s origin. Travel expenses must be added to this amount. Once the adoption has been finalized, the adoptive parents are entitled to a Danish Government lump-sum relief benefit to help reduce their overall expenses.
    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The initial application form, which can be obtained from the Regional State Administration (Statsforvaltning), must be accompanied by the following documents: birth certificate, marriage certificate, latest tax return, and certificate of health. An application to participate in the pre-adoption counseling program must be filed with the Department of Family Affairs, Office of Training Programs. If the applicants wish to continue the process after they complete the counseling program, a third application must be filed to start phase three.

      In the case of an adoption from a third country, when the child arrives in Denmark from his or her country of origin (after that country's adoption procedures have been completed), the adoptive parents must apply to the Regional State Administration for an Adoption Certificate. With the Adoption Certificate, the adoption is finalized, and pursuant to Danish law, the adopted child has the same rights as a biological child.

      NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, read more on Traveling Abroad to learn about authenticating U.S. Documents.

  6. Bring Your Child Home 
    Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:
    • Birth Certificate 
      You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

      In Denmark, birth certificates are issued by the local Parish (Danish State Church) Registration Offices (Kirkekontor.) Adoptive parents present their Adoption Certificate to the Registrar (Kordegn) in their area of residence, who in turn will issue the Danish birth certificate with the names of the child and the adoptive parents.

    • Denmark Passport 
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Denmark.
      Application for a Danish passport is filed with the Citizens Services Office (Borgerservice) in the area of the adoptive parents' residence. Both adoptive parents must sign the application and submit the child's Danish birth certificate and a photo of the child. A list of local passport photographers may be obtained from the Citizens Services Office (Borgerservice). Processing time is approximately two weeks.
    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S Embassy for final review and approval of the child’s I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the consular officer must be provided the “Panel Physician’s” medical report on the child. Read more about the Medical Examination. For questions on the U.S. immigrant visa process, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Copenhagen at CopenhagenIV@state.gov.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Denmark. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you might also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Denmark, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Denmark, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Denmark require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

Denmark does not require post-adoption or post-placement reports.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Denmark
Dag Hammarskjolds Alle 24
2100 Copenhagen
Tel: +45-3341 7100
Fax: +45-3538 9616
E-mail: CopenhagenACS@state.gov
Web site: https://dk.usembassy.gov/

Denmark's Adoption Authority
Danish Ministry of Justice
Department of Family Law
Kristineberg 6
2100 Copenhagen
Tel: +45-7268 8000
Fax: +45-7268 8001
Email: familiestyrelsen@famstyr.dk
Web site: http://www.familiestyrelsen.dk

Danish Accredited Adoption Agencies

AC Boernehjaelp
Elkjaervej 31
8230 Aabyhoj
TEL: +45-8612 6522
Fax: +45-8619 7853
Email: adoption@a-c.dk

Hovedgaden 24
3460 Birkerod
TEL: +45-4581 6333
Fax: +45-4581 7482
Email: mail@danadopt.dk

Royal Danish Embassy 
3200 Whitehaven Street NW
Washington, DC 20008-3683
Tel: (202) 234-4300
Fax: (202) 328-1470
E-mail: wasamb@.um.dk
Denmark also has Consulates General in Chicago and New York City.

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov
Internet: http://adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 120 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-6 10 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO-7 1 None Multiple 24 Months
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Free of charge from the State Church Registrar. Birth and Baptismal Certificate (Fodsels og Daabsattest) is issued to persons baptized in a Danish State Church; Birth and Name Certificate (Fodsels og Navneattest) is issued to persons not baptized in a Danish State Church.


Available. Free of charge. Deaths in Denmark are registered with the State Church Registrar in the parish where the deceased was a permanent resident, or, if a tourist, in the parish of the place of death. The Death Certificate issued by the State Church Registrar contains no information about the cause of death. Death Certificates containing information about cause of death may be requested by medical doctors or insurance companies for a fee of Danish Kroner 175 from the Danish National Board of Health (Sundhedsstyrelsen.)

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Free of charge. Civil marriage certificates (vielsesattest) are issued and filed with the town halls. Marriages performed by a minister of the State Church are filed with the State Church Registrar.


Available. Fee is Danish Kroner 500. Danish law provides for divorce to be obtained by Administrative Order (skilsmissebevilling) issued by one of the 5 Local State Administrative Offices (Statsforvaltning) or by Court Order (skilsmissedom.) Administrative divorce can be granted only in cases when both parties agree to the divorce and to the conditions thereof.

A Separation Order (separationsbevilling) is issued upon application from one of the spouses regardless of the position of the other spouse. If the parties can reach an agreement, divorce will be granted upon application after a 6-months waiting period during which the parties must live apart.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. A penal record (Straffeattest) is available to all persons 15 years of age or over. Individuals in Denmark can obtain a copy of their police record within minutes by requesting one in person at virtually any police station in Denmark. (Parental consent is required if the person is under 18 years old.) Individuals outside Denmark can obtain a copy free of charge by sending a written request along with their CPR number and a copy of their passport or birth certificate to:

Rigspoliti Chefen
Afdeling D
Kriminal Register
Post Box 93
2650 Hvidovre

Conviction records are sealed within five years of completion of the sentence and are generally not release for any purpose. Convictions resulting in a fine or no imprisonment are sealed two or three years after sentencing. Convictions are listed by citation of the pertinent section of the penal code only. Details of a conviction may be obtained from the court transcript (Uddrag af Dombogen) which lists the charge, the court findings and the judgment. The court transcript is issued by the appropriate court for a fee dependent upon the length of the transcript and only upon application from the individual concerned. In rare instances a penal record may be issued covering the applicant's entire lifetime upon direct application by the individual to the Ministry of Justice (Justitsministeriet).

Police records are indexed by the individual's unique CPR (Personal Identity) number. All Danish citizens and permanent residents in Denmark are assigned a CPR number. While unusual, it is possible that a non-Dane could have lived in Denmark for an extended period without obtaining a CPR number (as in the case of foreign diplomats, etc.). In such cases, records are indexed by name and date of birth.

All valid records for Danish citizens and permanent residents must contain the individual's name and CPR number. Police certificates containing only name and date of birth (but no CPR number) should only be accepted from applicants who have a credible explanation as to why they do not have a CPR number (such as foreign diplomats, etc.).

Please note: Police records with only name and date of birth but no CPR number will only show convictions under the name stated on the record. Prior convictions (during the 5-year period covered by the record) under a different name used (such as maiden name or former last name) will not appear on the record.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Free of charge. May be obtained upon written request from the Danish Criminal Welfare Authorities (Kriminalforsorgen.)

Military Records

Military records/certificates are available.

Not Drafted or Unfit for Service
Persons who have attended a medical examination (Session) required by the Danish military, but who have not been drafted for service (or ever worked for the Danish military or the Danish Emergency Management Agency), or who have been found unfit for service, must obtain a "Certification (Draft Board)". Please see contact information below.

The certificate will state whether the person was simply "not drafted", or if found "unfit for service", it will give a brief explanation of the reason.

Discharged Members of the Danish Armed Forces
Persons who have previously served in the Danish military must obtain a "Certification Regarding Military Service". Please see contact information below.

The certificate will state: Military rank, branch (Army, Navy or Air Force), dates of service, military specialty, and whether the person has received training in handling explosives.

Persons on Active Duty
Persons currently employed by the Danish military should contact the address below for information on how to obtain a military record.

Persons who are Serving or Have Served in the Danish Emergency Management Agency

Such individuals must obtain a "Certification Regarding Service in the Danish Emergency Management Agency". Please see contact information below.

The certificate will state: Military rank, dates of service, specialty occupation or training.

PLEASE NOTE: A military record can only be requested upon application from the individual concerned, and it can only be sent directly to the applicant due to the Danish privacy act.

Applications should be sent to:

Forsvarets Personeltjeneste
Postboks 59
7470 Karup J.

Phone: [+45] 32 66 55 31 (the last two digits can also be 32 - 42 (#38 excluded)
E-mail: TFA@mil.dk

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Name Change

Persons in possession of a Danish Social Security Number (CPR-number) can file for a name change with the Registrar of the State Church Office in his local parish. The Registrar will issue a new Birth and Baptismal/Name Certificate. All previous names are kept on file with the State Church Registrar. Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, any person may ask for release of information registered in his name by contacting the State Church Registrar in writing. State Church Registrations have been entered electronically since 2003, which makes it possible to request release of information online over your digital signature by visitingwww.personregistrering.dk

Visa Issuing Posts

Copenhagen, Denmark (Embassy)

APO AE 09716

Visa Services

All nonimmigrant visa categories for all of Denmark, including Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Immigrant visas are processed by the embassy in Stockholm, Sweden.

Persons resident in, or born in Greenland or the Faroe Islands, may have Greenlandic or Faroese passports. They are, however, Danish citizens, and the reciprocity schedule for Denmark applies to them.