CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog

Cote D`ivoire

Country Name: Côte d'Ivoire
Official Country Name: Republic of Côte d'Ivoire
Country Code 2-Letters: CI
Country Code 3-Letters: CIV
Street: Cocody Riviéra Golf, 01 BP 1712 Abidjan 01 Côte d'Ivoire
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2846.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Abidjan
Street Address: Cocody Riviera Golf,
01 BP 1712 Abidjan 01
Côte d’Ivoire
Phone: +(225) 22-49-40-00
Emergency Phone: +(225) 22-49-44-50
Fax: +(225) 22-49-42-02
Email: AbjAmcit@state.gov
Web: https://ci.usembassy.gov/


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

6 months validity upon entry

Blank Passport Pages:

1 page

Tourist Visa Required:



Yellow fever required

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:

May not leave with more than $1,000

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Abidjan

Cocody Riviera Golf,
01 BP 1712 Abidjan 01
Côte d’Ivoire
+(225) 22-49-40-00
Emergency After-HoursTelephone: +(225) 22-49-44-50
Fax: +(225) 22-49-42-02

Destination Description

See Department of State's Fact Sheet on Côte d'Ivoire for additional information on U.S.-Côte d’Ivoire relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire website for the most current visa information.

A passport, visa, and proof of vaccination against yellow fever are required for entry into Côte d’Ivoire. For additional immunization information, visit the CDC’s Health Information for Travelers to Côte d’Ivoire.

Travelers should obtain the latest information and details on entry requirements from the Embassy of the Republic of Côte d'Ivoire, located at 2424 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20007, telephone (202) 797-0317.

Although e-visas are available at the airport upon arrival, they must be requested online prior to arrival in Côte d’Ivoire. You can find more information online at Côte d’Ivoire evisas.

An exit permit issued by the National Museum is required for all high-value pieces of art being removed from Côte d'Ivoire. The export permit costs 2,000 CFA plus 500 CFA per object.

U.S. citizens intending to establish a residence in Côte d’Ivoire must apply for a residency permit (titre de séjour) at the Office d’Identification Nationale. (Note: Titres de séjour are not issued to children under the age of 16 who are documented on their parents' visas.)

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Côte d’Ivoire.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction, and customs information on our websites.

Safety and Security

Côte d’Ivoire has undertaken security sector reform actions, and, as a result, its national police and gendarmerie are in a transitional period. The military often performs what might be considered traditional civilian law enforcement functions for which it is not properly trained.

Peaceful demonstrations are tolerated by the government to a varying degree, with tear gas frequently being employed to disperse protests. In January 2017, elements of the armed forces staged public strikes and mutinies demanding back pay and benefits, temporarily paralyzing transportation in Abidjan and regional capital cities. The mutinies were resolved with payment to certain elements of the armed forces, but widespread grievances remain among the military and civil servants.

Weapons left over after the civil war present a continuing security threat exploitable by criminals and rogue soldiers. Political factions and their supporters armed with these weapons pose an ongoing risk to Cote d’Ivoire’s fragile democratic institutions.

Côte d’Ivoire remains under threat by extremist organizations in the region, though the country is not considered a base of operations.

Embassy personnel are prohibited from driving outside of major cities after dark, including between Abidjan, Grand Bassam, and Assinie. The Embassy’s ability to provide consular services, including emergency assistance, outside of the Abidjan area is limited. Many areas of Côte d’Ivoire are difficult to access, and travel in these areas is hazardous. Outside the major cities, infrastructure is poor, medical care is limited, and there are few facilities for tourists.

The rainy season is typically from June to September and often includes heavy rains and flash flooding, particularly in low-lying areas. U.S. Citizens should monitor local weather and news reports, avoid driving through flooded areas, and keep a supply of water and emergency provisions in their residence.

Swimming in coastal waters is dangerous and strongly discouraged, even for excellent swimmers. The ocean currents along the coast are powerful and treacherous, and several people drown each year.


Crime continues to be the major public security concern in Côte d’Ivoire. Armed carjackings, robberies of businesses, and home invasions target residents, including expatriates, who are perceived as wealthy.

U.S. citizens should exercise caution when visiting Abidjan’s Abobo, Adjame, Angre, Koumassi, Marcory, and Yopougon districts as well as popular neighborhoods for nighttime entertainment, including Plateau, Treichville, and Zone 4.

Carry identification at all times to minimize the risk of harassment at police checkpoints.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime abroad, contact the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Côte d’Ivoire is 170.

  • Other Police emergency numbers that can be called include:
    • National Police Command Post (Abidjan): 20-22-16-87 / 20-22-16-33
    • National Police Information and Command Center (CRIC) Centrale 6: 20-21-35-01 / 20-21–00–70
    • Abidjan Police Prefecture /Emergency Number: +225- 20- 25-87-88
    • National Police General Command Post +225-20-22-16-33 and +225-20-22-16-87
    • National Police Information and Command Center (CRIC) Centrale 6: 20-21-35-01 /20-21-00–70

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • Help you find appropriate medical care
  • Assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • Contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • Explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • Provide a list of local attorneys
  • Provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • Provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • Help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • Replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Customs: Ivoirian customs authorities encourage the use of an ATA (Admission Temporaire/Temporary Admission) Carnet for the temporary admission of professional equipment, commercial samples, and/or goods for exhibitions and fair purposes. ATA Carnet Headquarters, at the U.S. Council for International Business, 1212 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10036, issues and guarantees the ATA Carnet in the United States. For additional information, call (212) 354-4480 or e-mail ATA Carnet Headquarters.

If traveling to another West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) country, expatriate residents leaving Côte d’Ivoire must declare the amount of currency being taken out of the country. Residents traveling to countries that use the CFA franc currency, but are not WAEMU members, are prohibited from taking CFA francs out of Côte d’Ivoire and are authorized to carry up to the equivalent of 2,000,000 CFA francs (approximately 4,000 USD) in any other currency. You can take funds in excess of that amount out of the country in the form of travelers or bank checks.

If traveling to any other non-WAEMU country, tourists are prohibited from taking more than 500,000 CFA francs (approximately 1,000 USD) and business operators are prohibited from taking more than 2,000,000 CFA francs (approximately 4,000 USD) without government approval.

Corruption: Government corruption remains a serious problem in Côte d’Ivoire, and has an impact on judicial proceedings, contract awards, customs, and tax issues. Uniformed security forces (police, military, and gendarmes) routinely stop vehicles for traffic violations and security checks. If you are stopped, politely present your identification. Police and security officials rarely speak English. If you are stopped at one of these checkpoints and asked to pay a bribe, politely refuse and present your photocopy of your U.S. passport, visa, and entry stamp.

Faith-Based Travelers:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender, and Intersex (LGBTI) events in Côte d’Ivoire. The only mention of same-sex sexual activity in the laws is as a form of public indecency that carries a penalty of up to two years’ imprisonment, the same prescribed for heterosexual acts performed in Côte d’Ivoire that contravene the law. Antidiscrimination laws exist, but they do not address discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

However, societal stigmatization of the LGBTI community is widespread, and police, gendarmes, and members of the armed forces reportedly beat, imprison, verbally abuse, extort, or humiliate members of the LGBTI community. The few LGBTI organizations in the country operate freely, but with caution.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our  Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: While in Côte d’Ivoire, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from in the United States. Individuals with disabilities should be aware that there are almost no accommodations made for individuals with disabilities in Côte d’Ivoire.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Abidjan has privately-run medical and dental facilities that are adequate, but do not fully meet U.S. standards. Good physician specialists can be found, although few speak English. While pharmacies are well-stocked with medications produced in Europe, newer drugs may not be available. If you plan a lengthy trip to Côte d’Ivoire, you should bring enough medication to last the entire stay in your carry-on luggage. Medical care outside of Abidjan is extremely limited.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: If your health insurance plan does not provide coverage overseas, we strongly recommend supplemental medical insurance and medical evacuation plans.

The following diseases are prevalent:

*Extremely high malaria transmission occurs thoughout Côte d’Ivoire year round and in all areas, including large cities. Malaria prophylaxis is highly recommended for even short visits.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Abidjan has a poor public transportation system. If you choose to travel by bus, the “Express” line is believed to be the safest and most reliable service. Taxis are readily available and inexpensive; you may be able to negotiate a better rate. They are, however, poorly maintained and notorious for not respecting the rules of the road. There have been reports of robberies in metered or orange taxis, though they are still widely thought to be the most secure form of public transportation.

Communal taxis (“woro-woros”), used only within the limits of each commune, are not metered and may be dangerous. Do not use local vans ("Gbaka") because they are frequently involved in accidents. Always travel in groups and avoid driving on roads outside of Abidjan at night.

Carjackings: Carjacking incidents have been reported in Abidjan, including vehicles with diplomatic plates. While stopped in traffic, allow enough room between your car and the one in front to maneuver out if needed. Before getting into your car, look around to see if there is anyone paying unusual attention and, if someone appears to be watching, do not go to your vehicle. If confronted, remain courteous and calm and, if threatened, do not resist. Please report any incident to the U.S. Embassy.

Ambulance Services: Emergency services such as ambulance service (SAMU) exist in Abidjan and larger towns, but such service is unreliable. Call 185 or 2244-5553. In smaller towns, there is usually no ambulance service available, but ambulances may be dispatched from larger towns.

Please refer to our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Côte d’Ivoire, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the Government of Côte d’Ivoire’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Côte d’Ivoire should check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Maritime Security Communications with Industry WebPortal. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and as a broadcast warning on the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency’s website.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 204-4034

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Cote d’Ivoire, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Cote d’Ivoire.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Cote d’Ivoire is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Cote d’Ivoire and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. The government of Côte d’Ivoire maintains information about custody, visitation, and family law on the Internet through a commercially produced site at http://www.loidici.com.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Cote d’Ivoire and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Website:  travel.state.gov
Email: AfricaIPCA@state.gov

Parental child abduction may be treated as a misdemeanor or a criminal offense in Cote d’Ivoire under Articles 370 (4) through 372 of the New Law 2015-134 of March 08, 2015 governing child abduction. This law makes removal of a child from a person who has legal custody an offense with possible fines and imprisonment.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Cote d’Ivoire and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Cote d’Ivoire for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Cote d’Ivoire are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Ivorian government does not provide mediation services and there are no private agencies that offer mediation services for civil disputes.  However, if there are reported cases of children mistreated and in danger, these cases will be referred for mediation to the Department of Social Welfare.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Cote d’Ivoire became a party to the Hague Convention on Adoptions in October 2015 and the Ivorian government is now working to develop and implement administrative and legal procedures that will be consistent with the instruments of the Hague Convention. The government of Cote d’Ivoire drafted a project of law that has been presented for ratification. Currently, the Ivoirian government is not accepting new intercountry adoption applications and is reviewing applications submitted prior to October 2015, before the Convention came into effect, on a case-by-case basis. This webpage will be updated when more information is available. In the meantime, you may send any questions to us by email at Adoption@state.gov.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Cote D`ivoire, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

enter text here

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 36 Months
C-3 None Multiple 36 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 36 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 36 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

ALERT: All Civil Documents originating from the Northern half of the country (above the UN Forces-monitored Zone of Confidence) should be treated as suspect. Due to loss, theft, and destruction of many civil records registries in the North during the period of rebel control, many of these documents are unverifiable. It is recommended that you contact post via email at: abjvisa@state.gov if you encounter any such documents.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Application should be addressed to Monsieur le Maire, or Monsieur le sous-Prefet, or Prefet of applicant's place of birth.



Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Address same as for birth certificate.


Available. Copies of Divorce Judgment (Jugement de Divorce) may be obtained from the Greffe du Tribunal Civil where the Judgment was pronounced.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

  1. Police Certificates are available for citizens of Côte d'Ivoire, non-residents born in Côte d'Ivoire, and non-Ivoirian residents (or former residents) of Cote d'Ivoire.
  2. In both cases, applications may be made in person or by mail (although the first option is strongly recommended due to unreliable local mail system).
    • When applying in person, an Ivoirian national should go to the Clerk of the Court Office, of the Court of Justice of the city of birth while a non-Ivoirian would go to the "Bureau du Casier Central" at the Ministry of Justice, located in the compound of the building called "Bloc Ministériel" in the Plateau area.
    • If the application is sent by mail, it should be addressed to:
      • For Ivoirian nationals: Monsieur le Greffier en Chef, Tribunal de Première Instance, (Specify the City), Côte d'Ivoire
      • For foreigners: Maître Yao Kouadio Jean, Bureau du Casier Central, Ministère de la Justice, BP V 107, Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire
  3. Information needed to enable the issuance of the document are as follows:
    • Applicant's birth certificate displaying the full name and date/place of birth
    • Full name and date/place of birth of both parents
    • Applicant's current profession and current domicile
    • Indicate the period during which the applicant resided in the country
    • Specify if the applicant was employed during that period and give employer's name and contact.
  4. The issuance fee is that of the Revenue Stamp. The fee for an Ivoirian national is CFA 500. A non-Ivoirian will pay CFA 5,000.
  5. Since the political and military crisis that erupted in September 2002 in Cote d'Ivoire, judicial offices formerly under the rebel-held zone of the northern half of the country (including north, west and center area) are closed. Ivorian nationals born in these areas applying for a Police Certificate would have to go to the "Bureau du Casier Central" at the Ministry of Justice, located in the compound of the building called "Bloc Ministériel" in the Plateau area of Abidjan. This procedure is in effect since they cannot currently obtain the required documents in their city of birth as it was done previously. The color of the Police Certificate in such case is yellow instead of blue. This new procedure is conform with Article 727 of the Rules of Criminal Law Procedure. Mr. YEO Aly, Director of the Criminal and Civil Issues is the Head of that Office. Their postal address is:

Ministère de la Justice et des droits de l'Homme
Directions des Affaires Civiles et Pénales
Bureau du Casier Central
BP V 107
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Court Records


Prison Records


Military Records

Available only for those who are on the census list and served in the Ivorian army after August 1960. Obtainable from Ministere de la Defense et du Service Civique, Abidjan. Census number must be included in request. Individuals who served in the French colonial army prior to independence should write to Monsieur le Commandant du Quatrieme Bataillon d'Infanterie de Marine, Camp Gallieni, Abidjan.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

All old style diplomatic and service passports ceased to be valid after June 30, 2001.

The new diplomatic passports are burgundy in color, with the words "Republique de Cote D'Ivoire" and "Passeport Diplomatique" embossed in gold at the top and bottom of the passport, respectively. In the center of the passport, also embossed in gold, is the great seal of the Republic of Cote D'Ivoire, the profile of an elephant flanked either side by palm trees, topped by a rising sun, and with the words "Republique de Cote D'Ivoire" centered in a banner below the seal.

The new service passports are identical to the diplomatic passport, with the exception that they are dark blue in color, and have the words "Passeport de Service" appearing below the seal.

The passports each contain 32 pages. The biographic page is on page two. The bearer's photo is flanked by the letters RCI to the top left and bottom right. The pages themselves are tinted a rosy brown and pale green, and feature characteristic scenes from Cote D'Ivoire, including floral and fauna, village scenes, and architecture. All pages except the back of the front cover and the bio page fluoresce under black light with a design in bellow of the great seal, and blue and red specks.

Diplomatic and service passports generally bear the signature of Ambassador Atse, Amin Floren, Chef de Cabinet, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire (Embassy)

Street Address:
Riviera Golf
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Mailing Address:
01 BP 1712,
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire

Tel: (225) 22-49-40-00
Consular Customer Service Line: (225) 22 49 45 94 (answered from 8-12 noon Monday-Friday).

Email: abjvisa@state.gov

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Cote d'Ivoire. Visas 92-93 for Liberian Nationals.