CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Botswana
Official Country Name: Republic of Botswana
Country Code 2-Letters: BW
Country Code 3-Letters: BWA
Street: Embassy Drive, Government
Gaborone, Botswana
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/1830.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Gaborone
Street Address: Embassy Drive, Government Enclave
Gaborone, Botswana
Phone: +(267) 395-3982
Emergency Phone: +(267) 395-7111
Fax: +(267) 318-0232
Email: consulargaborone@state.gov
Web: https://bw.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

6 months

Blank Passport Pages:

Three or more unused pages; one blank page per entry

Tourist Visa Required:



Yes, if entering from yellow fever endemic countries

Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Gaborone

Embassy Drive, Government Enclave
Gaborone, Botswana
+(267) 395-3982
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(267) 395-7111
Fax: +(267) 318-0232

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Botswana for information on U.S. - Botswana relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

A passport with at least six months of validity remaining is required. U.S. citizens are permitted stays up to 90 days total within a 12-month period without a visa. Travelers who attempt to enter Botswana with a temporary passport must have a visa to enter. Visas cannot be obtained upon arrival in Botswana, and U.S. citizens without a visa in a temporary passport will face fines and long administrative delays.

For additional information on entry requirements and the most current visa information, contact the Embassy of the Republic of Botswana, 1531-1533 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20036, telephone (202) 244-4990/1, fax (202) 244-4164 or the Permanent Mission of the Republic of Botswana to the United Nations, 103 E. 37th St., New York, N.Y., 10016, telephone (212) 889-2277, and fax (212) 725-5061. There are also honorary consuls in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston. Travelers are advised to carry a photocopy of the photo/bio information page of their passport and keep it in a location separate from their passport. Visit the Embassy of Botswana’s webpage for the most current visa information.

Vaccinations: A yellow fever vaccination certificate is required if entering from a country where yellow fever is endemic. The Government of Botswana advises, but does not require, an updated TPD (tetanus, polio, diphtheria) and a Hepatitis A vaccine. See the CDC’s web site for additional information.

Requirements for Minors Entering Botswana

Botswana requires:

  • a certified copy of the child’s unabridged birth certificate;
  • a valid passport with at least 1 blank page per entry;
  • a parental consent form from the parent or parents not accompanying the child.

See the Embassy of Botswana’s webpage for complete details.

Requirements for Minors Transiting South Africa

South Africa requires:

  • an unabridged birth certificate for minors traveling to or through South Africa;
  • a parental consent form from the parent or parents not accompanying the child;
  • at least two blank passport pages per entry.

See South Africa’s Country Specific Information for further information.

Residency Applicants andDocument Certification for Botswana

Original or certified copies of one’s birth and marriage certificates are required for residency applications, per Botswana’s Ministry of Labour and Home Affairs website. U.S. citizens applying for residency in Botswana should have their birth and marriage certificates apostilled by the U.S. state where the documents were issued before coming to Botswana.

Only the Secretary of State in the State where the birth or marriage certificates were issued is authorized to apostille those documents. A list of these authorities in each state can be found on the Hague website. Teachers moving to Botswana to teach should contact the issuing educational institution registrar’s office to obtain certified copies of their transcripts.

Please see also the Department of State website  regarding the types of documents that can and cannot be authenticated by the U.S. Embassy.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Botswana. However, students beginning their studies at the University of Botswana are required to take an HIV test.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

CRIME: Petty street crime and crimes of opportunity, primarily the theft of money and personal property, are common. Home invasions, break-ins, “smash and grabs” from vehicles at intersections and from locked cars in shopping mall parking lots, cell phone thefts, and muggings - often at knife point, are routinely reported to police. Hotels and lodges are not immune from criminal activity. Visitors should remain alert and take reasonable precautions to safeguard personal property (particularly money and electronic equipment). Crime is also reported in game parks, nature reserves, and remote areas frequented by tourists.

You should:

  • avoid walking alone, particularly at night
  • exercise caution near the Gaborone Dam and Kgale Hill (a popular hiking site) in Gaborone due to frequent criminal incidents;
  • promptly comply if confronted by criminals as resistance may result in severe injury;
  • avoid crowds, political rallies, and street demonstrations;
  • maintain security awareness at all times.

Travelers arriving in Botswana via South Africa should be aware of serious and continuing baggage pilferage problems at OR Tambo (Johannesburg) and Cape Town International Airports. You should:

  • use an airport plastic wrapping service;
  • avoid placing valuables in checked luggage;
  • make an inventory of items in checked baggage to file claims if theft does occur;
  • If asked to gate check a piece of hand luggage, transfer high value items and prescription drugs into a carry-on bag.

Travelers over-nighting in Johannesburg before departing for Botswana should exercise vigilance when departing the airport as a number of foreigners have been the victims of “follow home” robberies, as described here.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to local police at 999 and the U.S. Embassy at + (267) 395-3982.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Some crimes are prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.


Power and water: Power outages can leave areas without electricity for several hours, and may affect home security systems, garage doors and gates, and kitchen equipment. Power surges may harm computers, televisions, or other electrical appliances. In times of drought, the Water Utilities Corporation may ration water.

Game and Animal Trophies: Botswana strictly enforces its laws controlling trade in animal products, often by means of spot checks for illegal products on roadways or at airports. Violators are subject to arrest and may face a penalty of up to five years imprisonment and substantial fines. Unwitting U.S. citizens have been arrested and prosecuted under this law.

  • Hunting in public and privately controlled areas is not permitted.
  • It is illegal to possess or remove any living or dead animal or animal trophy (any horn, ivory, tooth, tusk, bone, claw, hoof, hide, skin, hair, feather, egg, or other durable portion of an animal) without a government permit.
  • Travelers departing the country with a trophy must have a receipt from a store licensed to sell such items.
  • Ivory and endangered rhinoceros horn products may not be removed from the country under any circumstances.
  • Elephant hair jewelry may be removed only with the appropriate license from the Department of Wildlife and National Parks.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: The law does not explicitly criminalize consensual same-sex sexual acts, but it includes language criminalizing some aspects of same-sex sexual activity. What the law describes as “unnatural acts” is criminalized with penalties up to seven years’ imprisonment. There are no reports of police targeting persons suspected of same-sex sexual activity. There is stigma and discrimination against LGBTI persons particularly in villages and rural areas outside the capital. LGBTI travelers should exercise caution with regard public displays of affection. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: The government mandates access to public buildings and transportation for persons with disabilities, but civil society sources report access for persons with disabilities is limited. Many privately owned buildings and business, and older government buildings remain inaccessible. The law does not specifically include air travel with other modes of transportation but in general, persons with disabilities are provided access to air transportation.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Adequately equipped private medical facilities, emergency rooms, and trained physicians are available in Gaborone for simple medical problems but services are rudimentary elsewhere. Ability to pay for care must be established before you will receive medical care. More advanced care is available in South Africa. Many South African manufactured prescription drugs are available in Gaborone.

Avoid drinking tap water and ice made from tap water. Many restaurants and hotels serve tap water unless bottled water is specifically requested. Bottled water and beverages are generally safe to drink.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Check with the government of Botswana to ensure the medication you are carrying is legal in Botswana. Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

The following diseases are prevalent:

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Roads in major population centers are generally good but rural roads can be in poor condition. Traffic lights and street lamps often do not work properly. Approach traffic lights with caution as opposing traffic frequently continues well after a red light. The combination of long stretches of two-lane highways without shoulders or lights, high speed limits, free-range domestic animals, intoxicated drivers, and large numbers of pedestrians and hitchhikers in the roadways make fatal accidents a frequent occurrence, especially on weekends and end-of-month Friday paydays.

Traffic Laws: Traffic circulates on the left in Botswana. A valid international driver’s license, along with vehicle registration documents, is required to drive in Botswana and drivers should always carry them. Traffic accidents should be reported to the Botswana Police Service.

Public Transportation: Local citizens travel around and out of Gaborone in low-cost, cash-only “combis” and taxis that are typically flagged down on the roadside. Tourists do not typically take combis. Taxis are generally safe and can be arranged through hotels or at the airport. Scheduled coach bus service is available between Botswana and South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia and Zambia and is generally a safe mode of transport. Internal bus services, typically used by local citizens, link many towns and villages across Botswana.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Botswana’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered Botswana, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Botswana’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 244-4990; Fax (202) 244-4164

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Botswana, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Botswana.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Botswana is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Botswana and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. 

Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Botswana and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, Floor 9
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-736-9132
Website:  childabduction.state.gov
Email: AfricaIPCA@state.gov

Parental child abduction is not a specific crime in Botswana.  

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Botswana and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.  Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the U.S. Embassy in Botswana for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Botswana are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Gabarone, Botswana posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law. 

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Under the laws of Botswana, mediation is a possible remedy for both abduction and access cases. 

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Botswana is not a party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention or Convention). Under the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 (UAA), which became effective on July 14, 2014, the accreditation requirement and standards, which previously only applied in Convention cases, now also apply in non-Convention (“orphan”) cases under section 101(b)(1)(F) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Unless an exception applies, the UAA requires that an accredited or approved adoption service provider act as a primary provider in every orphan case, and that adoption service providers providing any adoption services, as defined at 22 CFR Part 96.2, on behalf of prospective adoptive parents be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents should review the State Department’s Universal Accreditation Act of 2012 webpage for further information. Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Convention countries continue to be processed under the Orphan Process with the filing of the Forms I-600A and I-600. However, adoption service providers should be aware of the information on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website on the impact of the UAA on Form I-600A and Form I-600 adjudications, including the requirement that all home studies, including home study updates and amendments, comply with the Convention home study requirements, which differ from the orphan home study requirements that were in effect before July 14, 2014.

Intercountry adoption in Botswana is rare. While the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone continues to engage regularly with the Government of Botswana on intercountry adoption issues, prospective adoptive parents may still face significant bureaucratic hurdles and delays when attempting to adopt in Botswana. 

The Ministry of Local Government, through local district councils, maintains a list of prospective adoptive families, including both residents and non-residents of Botswana. According to Ministry officials, the approximate time it takes for an adoption to be concluded is eight months for citizens of Botswana and 18 months for non-citizens (to allow for investigation and clearance from their home countries). The process can take much longer.

While it is not explicitly required by law, prospective adoptive parents are expected to foster a prospective adoptive child for a period of six months in Botswana before they may conclude a full and final adoption. The purpose of the foster period is to provide opportunities for the parents and child to bond, and to allow a social worker to observe the family. Once a child is legally adopted in Botswana, the child may not be removed from Botswana for a period of 12 months. Parents who attempt to remove a child without written consent from the Minister of Local Government may be charged by Botswana officials with criminal activities. This legal requirement makes intercountry adoptions from Botswana extremely difficult for anyone other than long-term residents.

In traditional Setswana culture, adoption is neither common nor a preferred option for orphans or abandoned children. Extended families usually assume the guardianship roles in such cases. According to Ministry of Local Government officials, the Adoption Act is under review and will be consistent with provisions under the African Charter on the Rights and Welfare of the Child as well as the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Botswana, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to being found suitable and eligible to adopt by USCIS, prospective adoptive parents seeking to adopt from Botswana must meet the following requirements:

  • Residency:  While prospective adoptive parents are not required to be permanent residents of Botswana to adopt, officials of the Department of Social Work within the Ministry of Local Government will verify work and residency documents before placing a prospective adoptive parent's name on the adoption “wait list.”  When matched with a prospective adoptive child, prospective adoptive parents are expected to foster the prospective adoptive child for a period of six months in Botswana before they may conclude a full and final adoption. In addition, the child must remain in Botswana for 12 months following the adoption.
  • Age of Adopting Parents:  No person under the age of 25 may adopt a child, either individually or jointly with their spouse.
  • Marriage:  A married couple, widower, widow, unmarried, separated, or divorced person may adopt a child in Botswana.
  • Income:  While there are no set income requirements, social workers will verify that prospective parents have adequate financial resources to care for a child.
  • Other:  The Botswana penal code contains provisions that are widely understood to penalize same-sex relations, and there are no laws that protect the LGBT community from discrimination. The U.S. Embassy is unaware of any successful adoptions of children from Botswana by same-sex couples from the United States. Same-sex couples contemplating adopting a child from Botswana should seek legal advice in Botswana. Please also see the LGBT Travel Information page for more information

Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to qualifying as an orphan under U.S. immigration law, the child must meet the following requirements imposed by Botswana

  • Relinquishment or Abandonment:  Consent to the adoption must be given:
    • Both parents of the child 
    • The guardian of the child if both parents are dead, 
    • By the surviving parent if one parent is dead and by any guardian of the child who may have been appointed by the deceased parent;
    • If one parent has deserted the child, by the other parent;
    • A guardian of the child appointed by the Minister of Local Government when both parents are dead, have deserted the child, or are incapable by reason of mental disorder or defect of consenting to the adoption.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: There is no specific age requirement. However, in order to be eligible to adopt a child over the age of 16, the prospective adoptive parents must be at least 25 years older than the child. Please note that for a child to meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law, a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, must be filed on the child’s behalf while the child is under the age of 16 (or under the age of 18 if the child is the birth sibling of another adopted child who has immigrated or will immigrate based on adoption by the same adoptive parent(s)). Please see the USCIS website for special rules on filing dates for children aged 15-16 or siblings aged 17-18
  • Sibling Adoptions:  Reasonable efforts will be made to prevent the separation of siblings during the adoption process.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions:  Children with special needs can be adopted in Botswana.  The general procedures and timeline remain the same in these cases.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: Prospective adoptive parents are expected to foster a prospective adoptive child for a period of six months in Botswana before they may conclude a full and final adoption. Once a child is legally adopted in Botswana, the child cannot be removed from Botswana for a period of 12 months from the date of the official adoption. This legal requirement makes intercountry adoption from Botswana extremely difficult for anyone other than long-term residents. Additionally, when finalizing the adoption, the court may order that a biological parent or guardian (i.e., social worker) be permitted to visit the adopted child for a period of up to two years after the finalization of the adoption. 
  • If prospective adoptive parents wish to remove the adopted child temporarily from Botswana for any reason during the 12-month period in which they are required to remain in Botswana after the adoption is finalized, the Minister of Local Government must provide written permission prior to departure. The U.S. Embassy will require both the court order granting custody and notice that the child is free to travel outside of Botswana before issuing a non-immigrant visa to the adoptive or prospective adoptive child. In addition, it must be demonstrated to the satisfaction of the consular officer that the child has sufficient ties to Botswana to compel his/her return after a short visit to the United States. Please note that while there is a process in place for prospective adoptive parents to remove the child temporarily during the 12-month period, getting such permission can be extremely cumbersome and obstacle-ridden in practice. Prospective adoptive parents should consult with an attorney if they must depart with the child for any reason during this time.

Caution:  Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are available for adoption. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to the adoption of their child(ren).

How To Adopt

Botswana’s Adoption Authority

Ministry of Local Government

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Botswana generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose A U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider to Act as Your Primary Provider.
  2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt (Form I-600A)
  3. Apply to Botswana’s Authorities to Adopt and be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Botswana or Obtain Legal Custody of the Child for Purposes of Emigration and Adoption
  5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible to Immigrate to the United States as an Orphan (Form I-600
  6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

1. Choose a U.S. Accredited or Approved Adoption Service Provider to Act as Your Primary Provider 

Before taking steps to adopt a child from Botswana, you should select a U.S.- accredited or approved adoption service provider to be the primary provider in your case. Unless an exception applies, a primary provider is required in every intercountry adoption case under the UAA. Your primary provider is responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all six adoption services defined at 22 CFR 96.2 are provided consistent with applicable laws and regulations;
  • Supervising and being responsible for supervised providers where used (see 22 CFR 96.14); and
  • Developing and implementing a service plan in accordance with 22 CFR 96.44.

For more information on primary providers and the UAA, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Learn more about Agency Accreditation.

The Embassy is not aware of any laws prohibiting U.S. providers from providing adoption services in Botswana, though Botswana has not formally recognized any U.S. adoption service providers. Note that “private adoptions” outside of government regulations are not recognized in Botswana. Some families retain an attorney to help them navigate the system.

2. Apply to USCIS to be Found Suitable and Eligible to Adopt

In order to adopt a child from Botswana, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Botswana and U.S. immigration law. 

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may choose to file a Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, with USCIS to be found suitable and eligible to adopt. You may also choose to file the Form I-600 petition along with all the required Form I-600A application supporting documentation, including an approved home study, once you have been matched with a child and have obtained all the necessary documentation. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options. Unless an exception applies, the home study must be prepared by a person who is authorized under 22 CFR 96 to prepare home studies and comply with the requirements in 8 CFR 204.311.

3. Apply to the Ministry of Social Development in Botswana to be Found Eligible to Adopt 

IIf you are found suitable and eligible to adopt under U.S. immigration law, you may also submit an adoption application to the Ministry of Local Government of Botswana to be found eligible to adopt by Botswana.

Adoption of Children in the Magistrate’s Court is available on the Government of Botswana’s Administration of Justice (AOJ) website here

The Central District Council carries out social investigations pertinent to the adoption processes and compiles and submits a social enquiry report to the Magistrate Court.Information can be obtained from the Social and Community Development Offices in Botswana’s various sub-districts on the Government of Botswana’s website. Adoption procedures in the Kgatleng District Council and contact information is available here.

If a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, the competent adoption authority or other authorized entity in Botswana will review your adoption dossier and, if an appropriate match is found, will provide you with a referral. We encourage families to consult with a medical professional and their adoption service provider to understand the needs of the specific child but each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of, and provide a permanent home for a specific child, and must conform to the recommendations in the home study submitted to USCIS for the number of children and capacity to deal with any special needs of an adoptive child. Learn more about Health Considerations

The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Botswana’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law.

Note: The Ministry of Local Government maintains a list of families (currently over 200 families, both citizens and foreigners) who wish to adopt children. Currently, this list is much longer than the number of eligible children, and families can wait many months or years before being matched. If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is eligible for intercountry adoption, you must request a match through the local magistrate court. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child. 

4. Adopt the Child in Botswana or Obtain Legal Custody of the Child for Purposes of Emigration and Adoption

The process for finalizing the adoption or obtaining legal custody for purposes of emigration and adoption in Botswana generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority: While the Adoption Act of 1952 provides that the Minister of Local Government acts as the child’s guardian ad litem, in practice, the courts assign social workers to act in this capacity. Once the adoption is complete, social workers may make follow-up visits with families. 
  • Role of the Court: During the actual adoption hearing, the social worker can submit any information to the Children’s (Magistrate) Court that was obtained during the course of their home visits or interviews. Only children over 10 years of age are interviewed by social workers regarding custody and adoption issues.  
  • The court will not grant the application unless it is satisfied that:
    • The applicant(s) are qualified to adopt the child;
    • The applicant(s) are of good repute and are fit and proper to be entrusted with the custody of the child;
    • The applicant(s) have adequate means to maintain and educate the child;
    • The proposed adoption will serve the best interests and be conducive to the welfare of the child;
    • That there is consent to the adoption (see relinquishment and abandonment requirements).
  • Role of Adoption Agencies: None
  • Starting July 14, 2014, unless an exception applies, there must be a U.S.-accredited or approved adoption service provider acting as the primary provider in every case. Also, any agency or person providing an adoption service on behalf of prospective adoptive parents in any Convention or non-Convention case must be accredited or approved, or be a supervised or exempted provider. Adoption service means any one of the following  six services:
    • Identifying a child for adoption and arranging an adoption; 
    • Securing the necessary consent to termination of parental rights and to adoption; 
    • Performing a background study on a child or a home study on a prospective adoptive parent(s), and reporting on such a study; 
    • Making non-judicial determinations of the best interests of a child and the appropriateness of an adoptive placement for the child; 
    • Monitoring a case after a child has been placed with prospective adoptive parent(s) until final adoption; or 
    • When necessary because of a disruption before final adoption, assuming custody and providing (including facilitating the provision of) child care or any other social service pending an alternative placement. 22 CFR 96.2 Definitions. 

Note: While the Ministry of Local Government has oversight of the entire process, local Magistrate Courts are the only authorities that issue binding legal decisions regarding children’s issues. Magistrate Courts are referred to as Children’s Courts when they hear cases involving children. Magistrate Courts give priority to children’s cases, and therefore custody and adoption cases are not mixed with other matters before the court. While the court is under no legal obligation to involve social workers in children’s issues, they typically do. However, social workers have described rare cases in which custody has been granted solely at the judge’s discretion. 

  • Adoption Application: Current applications will be provided and explained by the social worker assigned to the case.
  • Time Frame: After six months, during which the prospective adoptive parents foster the prospective adoptive child, they may apply to the Magistrate (Children’s) Court for adoption.
  • Adoption Fees: Costs, including those associated with retaining an attorney, vary and are therefore difficult to estimate. Fees are paid directly to the Government of Botswana, through the Ministry of Local Government and/or the Magistrate’s Court.

Prospective adoptive parents are advised to obtain detailed receipts for all fees and donations paid, either directly or through your U.S. adoption service provider, and to raise any concerns regarding any payment that you believe may be contrary to the Convention, U.S. law, or the law of Botswana with your adoption service provider, or, when appropriate, the Hague Complaint Registry. For more information in this regard, please refer to information concerning the Hague Complaint Registry. Improper payments may violate applicable law or create the appearance of child buying, and could put all future adoptions in Botswana at risk. The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, for instance, makes it unlawful to bribe foreign government officials to obtain or retain business. Further, the IAA makes certain actions relating to intercountry adoptions unlawful, and subject to civil and criminal penalties. These include to offering, giving, soliciting, or accepting inducement intended to influence or affect the relinquishment of parental rights, parental consent relating to adoption of a child, or a decision by an entity performing a central authority function or to engage another person as an agent to take any such action.

  • Documents Required: Documentary requirements will be provided and explained by the social worker assigned to the case.

Note:  Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. The U.S Department of State’s Authentications Office has information on the subject.

5. Apply for Your Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States as an Orphan

After you finalize the adoption or gain legal custody for purposes of emigration and adoption in Botswana, USCIS must determine whether the child meets the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order for the child to immigrate to the United States. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. At the time you file your Form I-600 petition, the adjudicating officer will determine whether the UAA applies, or if your case is UAA grandfathered or is a transition case. For more information on UAA grandfathering and transition cases, please see Universal Accreditation Act of 2012. Unless an exception applies, you must identify a primary provider.

If you have a valid Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition, approval you may file your Form I-600 petition either in the United States with USCIS or in person at the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone, Botswana. Please see the USCIS website for more information about filing options.

When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by USCIS in the United States, the consular section in Gaborone must complete a Form I-604, Determination on Child for Adoption (sometimes informally referred to as an orphan determination) to verify the child’s orphan status. When a Form I-600 petition is adjudicated by an international USCIS office, USCIS generally completes the Form I-604 determination.

For Form I-600 petitions filed with the Embassy’s consular section, the consular officer must complete the Form I-604 determination after you file your Form I-600 petition. Conducting the Form I-604 determination is a critical part of the non-Convention adoption process. It can take months to complete, depending upon the circumstances of your case. Consular officers appreciate that families are eager to bring their adopted child home as quickly as possible. Some of the factors that may contribute to the length of the process include prevailing fraud patterns in the country of origin, civil unrest or security concerns that restrict travel to certain areas of the country, and the number of determinations performed by available staff. Consular officers make every effort to conduct them as quickly and thoroughly as possible. You are advised to keep your travel plans flexible while awaiting the results.

6. Apply for a U.S. Immigrant Visa for Your Child and Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete or you have obtained legal custody of the child for the purposes of emigration and adoption of the child in the United States and the Form I-604 determination has been completed finding that your child meets the legal definition of an orphan for immigration purposes, there are a few more steps to take before you and your child can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents before your child can travel to the United States:

Birth Certificate

If you have finalized the adoption in Botswana, you will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate. If you have been granted legal custody for the purposes of emigration and adoption of the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will not yet include your name in most cases.

This process can be completed at the main office of the Registrar of Births and Deaths located at the Department of Immigration in the Government Enclave in Gaborone.

This requirement comes from Laws of Botswana, Chapter 28-01 Section 13, which says, “When an order has been made for the adoption of a child whose birth has been registered in Botswana, the Register of Births, Marriages and Deaths shall on the application of the adoptive parent and on production of the order of adoption or of a certified copy thereof and on payment of the prescribed fee, cause the fact of adoption and a statement whether the name of the adoptive parent was or was not conferred upon the child by virtue of the adoption, to be recorded on the original birth information form and against any entry of the birth in the births register of the district Registrar of Births and Deaths in which the birth was recorded.”

Botswana Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Botswana. You may bring the court order of adoption and apply for a Botswana passport at any Ministry of Home Affairs office. Please refer to the Ministry’s website for more information.

U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Gaborone. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you and be admitted to the United States as your child. As part of this process, you must provide the consular officer with the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child.

Before coming for your child’s immigrant visa interview, please complete an Electronic Immigrant Visa Application (DS-260) online at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC). If you filed a Form I-600 petition in the United States, you should receive a letter from the National Visa Center (NVC) confirming receipt of the petition and assignment of a case number and an invoice ID number. You will need this information to log into CEAC to file the DS-260 for your child. You should fill out these forms in your child's name. Answer every item on the form. If information is not applicable, please write “N/A” in the block. Print and bring the DS-260 form confirmation page to the visa interview. Please review the DS-260 FAQs, our Online Immigrant Visa Forms page, or contact the NVC at NVCAdoptions@state.gov or +1-603-334-0700 if you have questions about completing the online DS-260 form.

Please note that the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg processes immigrant visas for non-U.S. citizens located in Botswana. Additional information concerning immigrant visa processing at the Consulate General in Johannesburg can be found on the U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg’s website.

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s admission into the United States:  An adopted child residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence generally will acquire U.S. citizenship automatically if the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, including that the child is under the age of eighteen.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s admission into the United States: You will need to complete an adoption following your child’s admission into the United States and before the child turns eighteen for the child (if he or she otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000) to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

U.S. citizens are required to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Once your child has acquired U.S. citizenship s/he will need a U.S. passport for any international travel. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Department of State’s Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to South Africa

In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa to travel to South Africa to apply for your child’s U.S immigrant visa. Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation. Before traveling to South Africa, please review the Consular Information Sheet for South Africa and be sure to comply with the Government of South Africa’s entry requirements, which stipulate that travelers to South Africa must have at least two blank pages in their foreign passport upon entry. On May 26, 2014, a new law governing immigration and travel procedures, the Immigration Amendment Act (Act), went into effect in South Africa. While the majority of the new law’s requirements went into effect on May 26, 2014, the Government of South Africa announced on September 16, 2014 that the immigration requirements specific to minors – originally set to go into effect on October 1, 2014 – are postponed until June 2015. For information about how the new law may affect your travel or that of your adoptive child, please carefully review the Department of State’s webpage regarding travelling to South Africa, closely monitor the South African Department of Home Affairs’ website for new information, or contact the nearest South African Embassy or Consulate for the latest information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip

Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The Department of State provides Country-Specific Information for every country in the world about various issues, including health conditions, crime, currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip

When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State through our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country. Whether you are traveling in Botswana or South Africa, enrollment makes it possible for the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Botswana or South Africa to contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency. Enrolling in STEP or a crisis in Botswana/South Africa assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you in the case of a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Botswana or South Africa.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

After Adoption

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. You may wish to take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services. Your primary provider can provide or point you to post- placement/post-adoption services to help your adopted child and your family transition smoothly and deal effectively with the many adjustments required after an intercountry adoption.


If you have concerns about your adoption process, we ask that you share this information with the Embassy in Gaborone, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child’s case. The Department of State takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously. Our Adoption Comment Page provides several points of contact for adoptive families to comment on their adoption service provider, their experience applying for their child’s visa, or about the Form I-600 petition process.

The Hague Complaint Registry is an internet based registry for filing complaints about the compliance of U.S. accredited or approved adoption service providers with U.S. accreditation standards. If you think your provider's conduct may have been out of substantial compliance with accreditation standards, first submit your complaint in writing directly to your provider. If the complaint is not resolved through the provider's complaint process, you may file the complaint through the Hague Complaint Registry

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Botswana
Address: Embassy Drive, Government Enclave
Gaborone, Botswana
Tel: +(267)-373-2322
Fax: +(267)-318-0232
Email: consulargaborone@state.gov
Internet: https://bw.usembassy.gov/embassy/gaborone/

U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg, South Africa
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 787197, Sandton, 2146
Johannesburg, South Africa

Physical Address:
1 Sandton Drive, Sandhurst (opposite Sandton City Mall)
Johannesburg, South Africa
Tel: (27 11) 290-3000
Fax: (27 11) (011) 884-0396
Email: consularjohannesburg@state.gov

Botswana’s Adoption Authority: Ministry of Local Government
Address: Bag 006, Gaborone, Botswana
Tel: 267-365-8400

Embassy of Botswana
Address: 1531 New Hampshire Ave. N.W.,
Washington, DC  20036
Tel: 202-244-4990
Fax: 202-244-4164
Internet: http://www.botswanaembassy.org/

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email: Adoption@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Ministry of Home Affairs, Private Bag 002, Gaborone, Botswana. Normally only "short form" birth certificates are issued. The certificate does not include the names of the child's parents. The U.S. Embassy can obtain a complete birth certificate if it assures the Ministry of Home Affairs that the "long form" certificate will be used for "official business" only. Posts requiring complete birth certificates of persons born in Botswana may refer the request to the U.S. Embassy. The request must be accompanied by a copy of the short form birth certificate along with both parents' names (including mother's maiden name).


Death certificates are available from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Ministry of Home Affairs, Private Bag 002, Gaborone.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Marriage certificates are available from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, Ministry of Home Affairs, Private Bag 002, Gaborone.



Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available to private individuals. People seeking a certificate of no criminal record from Botswana should write to: Criminal Records Bureau, Botswana Police Service, Private Bag 0400, Gaborone, Botswana. Telephone: 00267-391-8601, Fax: 00267-391-8615.

The request must include the person's full name, and dates and places of residence in Botswana.

Court Records


Prison Records


Military Records

The Botswana Defense Force was created in the spring of 1977, thus, few military records are available. Service in the Botswana Defense Force is voluntary. Inquiries concerning military records should be directed to Headquarters, Botswana Defense Force, Private Bag X06, Gaborone.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Baptismal Certificates

Available from many churches and may be obtained from the Vicar or a Priest.

Visa Issuing Posts

Gaborone, Botswana (Embassy)

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visas only are processed in Botswana. Immigrant visa applications for nationals of Botswana are processed by the U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg.