CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Bhutan
Official Country Name: Kingdom of Bhutan
Country Code 2-Letters: BT
Country Code 3-Letters: BTN
Street: Shantipath,
New Delhi - 110021
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35839.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy New Delhi
Street Address: Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi - 110021
Phone: +(91) (11) 2419-8000
Emergency Phone: +(91) (11) 2419-8000
Fax: +(91) (11) 2419-8407
Email: ACSnd@state.gov
Web: https://in.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/new-delhi/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

 Six months from date of arrival 

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:




Currency Restrictions for Entry:

USD 10,000

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

USD 10,000

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy New Delhi

Shantipath, Chanakyapuri
New Delhi - 110021

Telephone: +(91) (11) 2419-8000

Emergency Telephone: +(91) (11) 2419-8000

Fax: +(91) (11) 2419-8407

Destination Description

The United States does not have diplomatic relations with Bhutan and there is no U.S. diplomatic presence there. Consular issues relating to Bhutan, including assistance to U.S. citizens, are handled by the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi. Read the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Bhutan for additional information. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

The Tourism Council of Bhutan sets a non-negotiable minimum daily tariff for all visitors to Bhutan.  The rate includes all accommodations, all meals, transportation, services of licensed guides and porters, and cultural programs where and when available. The rate is the same for both cultural tours and treks. Travelers should contact the Tourism Council for the latest daily tariff. 

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months following the date of your arrival to Bhutan.
  • You need a Bhutanese visa to enter and exit Bhutan.  All visas are approved in the capital, Thimphu, and are only issued to tourists who have booked travel with a local licensed tour operator, either directly or through a foreign travel agent.  Applications for tourist visas are submitted by the local tour operator. See the Association of Bhutanese Tour Operators website for further information.  
  • All visitors, including those on official U.S. government business, must obtain visa clearance from Thimphu before travelling to Bhutan.  Visa clearance takes at least 7 days to process and airplane tickets to Bhutan cannot be purchased without visa clearance.
  • At your point of entry into Bhutan, immigration authorities will stamp a visa into your passport upon payment of $40 U.S. or Nu.2500.  You will also need to provide two passport photos. Tourist visas are usually granted for the scheduled travel period.
  • More information, including a list of authorized tour operators in Bhutan, may be obtained from the Tourism Council of Bhutan, PO Box 126, Thimphu, Bhutan, telephone 00975-2-323251, 2-323252, 2-337098, fax 975-2-323695, email: info@tourism.gov.bt

For the most current information on entry and exit requirements, please contact the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations (Consulate General), 343 East 43rd Street, New York, NY 10017, telephone (212) 682-2268, fax (212) 661-0551. 

Dual Citizens: For information related to dual citizens traveling to Bhutan, please see our page on dual nationality.

HIV/AIDS: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Bhutan. For stays longer than two weeks, applicants must present the results of an HIV/AIDS test completed within the six months prior to their visit. The test can also be administered by Bhutanese officials upon arrival. Travelers should verify this information with the Permanent Mission of the Kingdom of Bhutan to the United Nations before they travel.

Customs: For information related to customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

Information about or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. 

Safety and Security

CRIME: There is relatively little crime in Bhutan. Reasonable precautions should be taken when visiting major towns and, in particular, when going out at night. 

  • Petty crime, such as pick-pocketing and purse snatching is occasionally reported though crime is uncommon. 
  • Burglaries, theft, robbery, stolen vehicles, and assault related to skin color, ethnic origin, and religion have increased in recent years. 
  • Police report an increase in the number of drug/alcohol abuse and marijuana-related arrests.
  • Police report an increase in the number of reported rape cases. 
  • Tobacco sale is unlawful. Foreigners caught selling tobacco products to Bhutanese nationals can be charged with smuggling and the tobacco seized treated as contraband.

VICTIMS OF CRIME: If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime abroad, you should contact the local police and the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. 

The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line for Bhutan police in Bhutan is 113. The emergency number for ambulance service is 112.  

For more information:

The U.S. Embassy can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police, but only local authorities can investigate and prosecute crimes
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport. However, because there is no U.S. Embassy presence in Bhutan, getting your lost or stolen U.S. passport replaced can be complicated and costly, and U.S. citizens are advised to take extreme care with their passports. To replace a passport, you must gain permission to exit Bhutan, and also obtain permission to enter a receiving country that has a U.S. Embassy without a passport. Immigration authorities may not grant permission. If permission is not granted, a consular officer from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the receiving country may be able meet you at the receiving country airport, at significant additional cost in addition to passport fees.

More info: See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

Please see our information for victims of crime, including possible victim compensation programs in the United States.

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

CRIMINAL PENALTIES:  You must obey all Bhutanese laws while you are traveling in Bhutan.

  • If you violate them, even without knowing you did, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.
  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Bhutan are severe, including long jail sentences and heavy fines, or death.
  • You may be taken in for questioning if you don’t have your passport with you or if you take pictures of certain buildings.
  • Driving under the influence could land you immediately in jail.
  • Some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see the Department of Justice website. 
  • Engaging in sexual conduct with children or using or disseminating child pornography in a foreign country is a crime prosecutable in the United States.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Currency Issues:  

  • Visitors are advised to carry cash or travelers checks, though credit cards are becoming more widely accepted in Bhutan.
  • Indian rupees are usually accepted for purchases in Bhutan, although most shopkeepers and businesses do not accept Indian rupees in denominations above 100. A limited number of ATMs are available in Bhutan’s main cities.


  • Bhutanese customs authorities enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Bhutan of items such as firearms, ammunition, explosives and military supplies; narcotics and drugs (except medically prescribed drugs); tobacco products; wildlife products, especially those of endangered species; and antiques.
  • It is advisable to contact the Bhutan Mission to the United Nations (Consulate General), 343 East 43rd Street, New York, NY 10017, telephone (212) 682-2268, fax (212) 661-0551, for specific information regarding customs requirements.  Please see our Customs Information page.

Women Travelers:  If you are a woman traveling abroad, please review our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

LGBTI Travelers: Although there are no laws that explicitly prohibit consensual same-sex sexual activity, laws against “sodomy or any other sexual conduct that is against the order of nature” exist. Under the penal code, a person can be imprisoned for as long as one year for engaging in such acts.  There have been no reported cases of such charges. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and our Human Rights Report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: While in Bhutan, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what you find in the United States. Persons with physical disabilities living in or traveling to the country may find that Bhutan lacks the necessary infrastructure to accommodate their disability.  


Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan covers you when you are outside of the United States.

  • We cannot pay your medical bills.
  • U.S. Medicare does not pay overseas.
  • Doctors and hospitals often expect cash payment for health services.
  • We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation, since medical transport out of the country can be prohibitively expensive or logistically impossible.
  • Tuberculosis is a serious health concern in Bhutan. For further information, please consult the CDC's information on TB.
  • See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

Medical Care:

  • Medical facilities in the populated areas in Bhutan such as Thimphu and Paro are available but may be limited or unavailable in rural areas.  
  • U.S. citizens in need of urgent medical care should try to get to the Jigme Dorji Wangchuck National Referral Hospital in the capital city, Thimphu. For emergency services in Thimphu, dial 113 for police or 112 for ambulance. 
  • Medical services may not meet Western standards, and some medicines are in short supply. Certain emergency medical services are provided free of charge to all tourists.

Trekking in Bhutan:

  • We strongly urge you to ensure that your medical insurance covers evacuations, which can be extremely expensive. 
  • Visitors planning to trek in Bhutan should pay special attention to the risk of altitude illness. Altitude sickness is a risk above 8,000 feet and travelers to that altitude should consult an appropriate health care provider 4 to 6 weeks before their trip.
  • Treks in Bhutan can take visitors days or weeks away from the nearest medical facility. Limited helicopter evacuation from remote areas in Bhutan is available at the U.S. citizen’s expense. The U.S. Embassy in New Delhi can also help arrange evacuations through private companies at the U.S. citizen’s expense.


  • Be up-to-date on all recommended vaccinations, per CDC’s information.
  • The Government of Bhutan recommends that visitors obtain tetanus, typhoid, and hepatitis A inoculations before traveling to Bhutan. Hepatitis B, Japanese Encephalitis, and rabies vaccines are recommended for prolonged stays for people at risk. The influenza vaccine is also recommended.

You can find detailed information on vaccinations and other health precautions on the CDC website. For information about outbreaks of infectious diseases abroad, consult the World Health Organization (WHO) website. The WHO website also contains additional health information for travelers, including detailed country-specific health information.

The Royal Insurance Corporation of Bhutan has initiated a travel and medical plan solely for visitors to Bhutan. When booking your trip, you should get detailed information about the insurance plan from your travel agents in Bhutan. You may also visit their website at www.ricb.com.bt.

Travel & Transportation


Road Conditions:

  • General road conditions outside urban areas are poor, and emergency services generally are not available. Because of the mountainous terrain, roads tend to have steep drop-offs and blind curves.
  • During heavy rains there is a risk of falling rocks and landslides which can block roads.  Because Bhutan requires tourists to arrange their trips through registered tour operators and travel in groups with experienced drivers, most U.S. tourists will not drive themselves.
  • Please refer to our Road Safety page, Tourism Council for Bhutan, and Bhutan’s Ministry of Economic Affairs for more information.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT:  As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Bhutan, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Bhutan’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards.  Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

  • Flights into and out of Paro Airport are restricted to daylight hours and are dependent on weather conditions.
  • Flights can be delayed or cancelled due to weather conditions, particularly during the monsoon season between May and September.
  • Passengers are advised to allow at least 24 hours' transit time for connecting flights to and from Paro Airport and to travel on non-restricted air tickets so that they can be rebooked on the first available air carrier if a connecting flight is missed.
  • Passengers transiting through India will need a transit visa if they intend to leave the airport or spend a night in India.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


New York, NY

Telephone (212) 490-9660; Fax (212) 490-9656

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: enter link here

General Information

enter link here

Hague Abduction Convention

enter text here


enter text here


enter text here

Retaining an Attorney

enter text here


enter text here

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

enter text here

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Bhutan, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

enter text here

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None One 3 Months
A-2 None One 3 Months
A-3 1 None One 3 Months
B-1 None One 3 Months
B-2 None One 3 Months
B-1/B-2 None One 3 Months
C-1 None One 3 Months
C-1/D None One 3 Months
C-2 None One 3 Months
C-3 None One 3 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 3 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 3 Months
D None One 3 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 24 Months
F-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 3 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 3 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None Multiple 3 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 3 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 3 Months 3
I None Multiple 3 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 3 Months
L-2 None Multiple 3 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 36 Months
N-9 None Multiple 36 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 3 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 3 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 3 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 3 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 3 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 3 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 3 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 3 Months
R-2 None Multiple 3 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Unavailable. Births are not registered in Bhutan.


Unavailable. Village records exist, but certificates are not issued.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Bhutanese law requires registration of marriages, and copy of record is given to both husband and wife. Additional copies may be obtained from the local civil office that registered the marriage.


Available. The court issues copies of judgment to both parties. If a court procedure was not involved, the village headman can issue a certificate of divorce.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Residents and former residents of Thimpu should write to the District Commissioner (Dzongda) or the Home Ministry. All others should write to the village headman in the place of residence or former residence.

Court Records


Prison Records

Available. Write to either the District Commissioner or the Superintendent/Deputy Superintendent of the Royal Bhutan Police, Thimpu.

Military Records


Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

New Delhi, India (Embassy)

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant and immigrant visa applications for nationals of Bhutan are processed by the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi.