CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Brazil
Official Country Name: Federative Republic of Brazil
Country Code 2-Letters: BR
Country Code 3-Letters: BRA
Street: SES 801 - Avenida das Nacoes Lote 3 70403-900 - Brasília, DF Brazil
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35640.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Brasilia
Street Address: SES 801 - Avenida das Nacoes
Lote 3
70403-900 - Brasília, DF Brazil
Phone: 011-55-61-3312-7000
Emergency Phone: 011-55-61-3312-7400
Fax: 61-3312-7651
Email: BrasiliaACS@state.gov
Web: https://br.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/embassy/

Embassy Messages

Country Map
Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Must be valid on the date of entry

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:



None required, but see Health section

Currency Restrictions for Entry:

More than 10,000 BR must be declared to Customs

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

More than 10,000 BR must be declared to Customs

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Brasilia
SES 801- Avenida das Nacoes, Lote 03
70403-900 - Brasilia, DF Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-61-3312-7000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 011-55-61-3312-7400
Fax: (61) 3312-7651

Consular Agency in Brasilia’s Consular District
Manaus Consular Agency
Edificio Atrium, Suite 306
Rua Franco de Sá, 310
69.079-210 Manaus AM Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-92-3611-3333

U.S. Consulate Porto Alegre
Avenida Assis Brasil, 1889,
Passo d' Areia
Porto Alegre, RS, 91010-005
Telephone: 55-51-3345-6000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 55-51-98293-0446
Email: PortoAlegreACS@state.gov

U.S. Consulate General Recife
Rua Goncalves Maia, 163, Boa Vista
50070-060 - Recife, PE Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-81-3416-3050 or 011-55-81-3416-3080
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 011-55-81-3416-3060 or 011-55-81-9916-9470
Fax: 011-55-81-3231-1906

Consular Agency in Recife’s Consular District
U.S. Consular Agency Fortaleza
Avenida Santos Dumont 2828, Aldeota, Suite 708
Telephone: 011-55-85-3021-5200
Fax: 011-55-85-3021-3888

U.S. Consulate General Rio de Janeiro
Avenida Presidente Wilson, 147, Castelo
20030-020, Rio de Janeiro,RJ Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-213823-2000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 011-55-21-3823-2029
Fax: 011-55-21-3823-2093
Email: acsrio@state.gov

Consular Agency in Rio de Janeiro’s Consular District
U.S. Consular Agency Salvador da Bahia
Avenida Tancredo Neves, 1632, Caminho das Arvores
Salvador Trade Center-Torre Sul,room 1401,
41820-020 - Salvador, Bahia Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-71-3113-2090/2091/2092
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: Please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro: (21) 3823-2029
Fax: 011-55-71-3113-2092

U.S. Consulate General Sao Paulo
Rua Henri Dunant, 500 Chacara Santo Antonio,
04709-110 - Sao Paulo, SP Brazil
Telephone: 011-55-11-3250-5000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: 011-55-11-3250-5373
Fax: 011-55-11-3250-5159

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Brazil for information on U.S. – Brazil relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

You will need:

  • A valid U.S. passport 

The U.S. government cannot assist you if you arrive in Brazil without proper documentation.

Special Entry/Exit Requirements for Minors: The Brazilian Embassy or Consulate may require a birth certificate and notarized travel authorization from both parents to issue a visa to a minor.

When departing Brazil, Brazilian minors (including U.S.-Brazilian dual citizens) who are not accompanied by both parents are required by law to prove that both parents authorized the travel. While non-Brazilian minors are not subject to the same requirement, immigration officials always have the right to stop individuals for questioning.  There have been cases where non-Brazilian minors have been delayed or prevented from traveling when accompanied by only one parent or a third party. Please review the Brazilian government’s current visa information.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Brazil.

Please find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on our website.   

Safety and Security

Crime: The violent crime rate is high in most Brazilian urban centers. Public transportation, hotel sectors, and tourist areas report high crime rates, but these incidents can happen anywhere and at any time. Be aware of your surroundings.

  • Avoid the following dangerous areas, especially at night:
    • Brasilia’s Central Bus Station, or “Rodoviaria,”
    • Sao Paulo’s "red light districts," located on Rua Augusta north of Avenida Paulista and the Estacao de Luz metro area.
    • Sao Paulo’s Ibirapuera Park, where violent attacks (including sexual assaults) have occurred.
  • Use caution at or going to major transportation centers and public transportatoin, especially at night. 
  • Avoid favelas, even if on a guided tour. Neither the tour company nor the city police can guarantee your safety when entering favelas.
  • Thieves and rapists have been known to slip incapacitating drugs into drinks at bars, hotel rooms, and street parties.  
  • Armed hold-ups of pedestrians and motorists are common, including at or near public beaches. If robbed, hand over your personal belongings without resisting.
  • Carjackings and holdups can occur at any time of the day or night, especially at intersections and in tunnels. Express kidnappings, wherein the victim is taken at gunpoint and forced to withdraw funds from ATMs, also occur.
  • Crime on public transportation is frequent and can be violent. Registered taxis have red license plates and openly display company information and phone numbers.
  • Credit card fraud and ATM scams are common in Brazil. Work closely with your financial institutions to monitor accounts and keep your credit card in view while it is scanned at a point of sale.
  • Avoid large groups or events where crowds have gathered. Demonstrations and strikes are common in urban areas, may occur unexpectedly, disrupt transportation, and may escalate into violence. Check the website of the Embassy or Consulate nearest you for current information on demonstrations.
  • U.S. government employees working in Brazil are not permitted to:
    • Travel to any areas within 150 km of the international borders with Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Bolivia, Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, and Paraguay. (Travel to the Foz do Iguaçu National Park and Pantanal National Park is permitted.) Individuals with ties to illegal criminal networks operate along Brazilian borders.
    • Visit Brasilia’s “satellite cities” of Ceilandia, Santa Maria, Sao Sebastiao, and Paranoa, between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
    • Enter any of Rio de Janeiro’s “favela” neighborhoods
      • Visit Recife’s Pina Beach from Dona Benvinda de Farias Street to the Brasilia Teimosa neighborhood after dark.
      • Use public buses in or around Recife.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: 

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault and crime should first contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. 

The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Brazil is divided between three services:

  • 190 - Policia (Police)
  • 192 - Ambulancia (Ambulance)
  • 193 - Bombeiros (Fire Department)

You can also report crimes to tourist police (DEAT: Delegacia de Protecao ao Turista) located in major cities:

  • the U.S. Embassy at 011-55-61-3312-7000
  • the U.S. Consulate in Porto Alegre at 011-55-51-3345-6000
  • the U.S. Consulate General in Recife at 011-55-81-3416-3050 or 011-55-81-3416-3080
  • the U.S. Consulate General in Rio de Janeiro at 011-55-21-3823-2000
  • the U.S. Consulate General in Sao Paulo at 011-55-11-3250-5000

The U.S. Embassy and Consulates can help you contact local authorities, but Brazilian law enforcement are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victims’ compensation programs in the United States
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Victims of Domestic Violence or Sexual Assault: Contact the Embassy for assistance after contacting local autorities.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: Foreigners are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Water Hazards: Many of Brazil’s beaches have very dangerous riptides, even if the water looks safe. Ocean currents and waves are unpredictable, even in popular beaches frequented by tourists. Shark attacks are reported in the waters of some beaches in northeastern Brazil, particularly near Recife. Always observe posted warnings and never swim while under the influence of alcohol. Follow local authorities’ guidance and refrain from swimming alone in areas marked with red warning signs or at beaches where there are no municipal lifeguards or first responder services.  

Electricity Blackouts: Power failures in large urban centers are common and sometimes followed by increased crime. Most tourist hotels are equipped with generators, minimizing the impact of a blackout, but you should remain cautious.  

Natural Disasters: Flooding and mudslides occur throughout the country and can be fatal. Monitor news and weather reports and adhere to municipal advisories before traveling to areas prone to flooding or landslides. Many of Brazil’s larger cities have frequent heavy rainstorms that cause flash flooding and can disrupt traffic.

Customs Restrictions: Contact the Brazilian Embassy in Washington, D.C. or one of Brazil's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding import and export regulations. Please also refer to our information on customs regulations.

  • Brazilian customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporarily importing or exporting items such as firearms, antiquities, mineral samples, tropical plants, wildlife, medications, and business and communication equipment. 
  • In the Amazon region, there is special scrutiny of exporting biological material. People raising, growing, or exporting biological materials without permits can be charged with “biopiracy.”  

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Brazil does not have legal restrictions on same-sex marriage, relations, or events coordinated by LGBTI organizations. However, according to the 2016 Human Rights Report, violence against lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) individuals was a serious concern, with local NGOs reporting that in the first half of 2016, 139 LGBTI persons were victims of hate killings.  See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Brazilian law prohibits discrimination against persons with physical and mental disabilities in employment, education, and access to health care. However, accessibility to public transportation and the ability to accommodate the needs of physically disabled persons are limited in most areas. 

Students: See our students abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for women travelers.


The U.S. government does not pay medical bills and U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Government of Brazil to ensure the medication is legal in Brazil. Carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Mosquito Borne Diseases: Chagas, chikunguya, dengue, Zika, Visceral Leishmaniasis, rabies and yellow fever are the most common
  • Traveler’s diarrhea
  • Tuberculosis
  • Schistosomiasis

Elective Surgery: Although Brazil has many elective/cosmetic surgery facilities that are on par with those found in the United States, the quality of care varies widely. If you plan to undergo surgery in Brazil, make sure that emergency medical facilities are available. Some “boutique” plastic surgery operations offer luxurious facilities but are not hospitals and are unable to handle emergencies.

Non-traditional Medicine: Several U.S. citizens have died while seeking medical care from non-traditional “healers” and practitioners. Ensure you have access to proper medical care if seeking such services.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. The government of Brazil recently updated the areas at risk for yellow fever, where vaccination is recommended. Though not required to enter Brazil, travelers wishing to be vaccinated may wish to consider receiving yellow fever vaccine prior to travel to Brazil, as local supplies are limited. Travelers should consult guidance from the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for the most recent information:

Please note that the yellow fever vaccine should be administered 10 days prior to travel in order for it to be effective.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Traffic Safety and Road Conditions: Driving on Brazil's roads poses significant risks. Poor driving skills, bad roads, and high density traffic make road travel more hazardous than in the United States.

Road maintenance is inadequate in many areas and some long-distance roads through the Amazon forest are impassable much of the year due to flooding. Private cars and public buses are the main modes of inter-city road travel. Buses can range (depending on route and price) from luxurious and well-maintained to basic and mechanically unsound. Bus hijacking occurs at random.

Apart from toll roads, which generally have their own services, roadside assistance is available only sporadically and informally through local mechanics. The fastest way to summon assistance in an emergency anywhere in the country is to dial 193, a universal number staffed by local fire departments. This service is in Portuguese only.

Traffic Laws: Travelers planning on staying for more than 180 days should obtain an Inter-American Driving Permit to carry with their valid U.S. license if they plan to drive in Brazil. Such permits can be obtained through AAA or other sources.  Please note:

  • Everyone in the vehicle must wear a seatbelt. Brazilian federal law requires child seats for all children under the age of 7 ½. From age 7 ½ years to 10, children must only ride in the back seat.
  • Drivers must yield the right of way to cars on their right. Compliance with stop signs is rarely enforced, so many motorists treat them as yield signs. It is common for drivers to turn or cross one or more lanes of traffic without warning.
  • Drivers often flash their lights or wave a hand out the window to signal other drivers to slow down. 
  • Pedestrian crossings are only observed in some places, such as Brasilia. 
  • Drivers must have their daytime running lights on during the day and headlights on at night on Federal Highways.
  • Under Brazil’s Lei Seca (“Dry Law”), you cannot operate a vehicle with any measurable blood-alcohol level. Checkpoints are often set up in urban areas, and randomly chosen drivers are required to perform a breathalyzer test. Those in violation are subject to legal penalties and having their vehicle impounded. 

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Brazil’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Brazil’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Brazil’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Brazil should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website and the National Geospatial Agency broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 461-3000 (202) 461-3001

Atlanta, GA (404) 949-2400 (202) 949-2402

Boston, MA (617) 542-4000 (617) 542-4318

Chicago, IL (312) 464-0245 (312) 464-0299

Hartford, CT (860) 760-3100

Houston, TX (713) 961-3063 (713) 961-3070

Los Angeles, CA (323) 651-2664 (323) 651-1274

Miami, FL (305) 285-6200 (305) 285-6232

New York, NY (212) 827-0976 (212) 827-9225

San Francisco, CA (415) 981-8170 (415) 981-3628

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Brazil and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since December 1, 2003.

For information concerning travel to Brazil, including information about the location of the U.S. Consulate General, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Brazil.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department's Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizen Services, Office of Children's Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Brazil.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State 
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor 
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Website:  travel.state.gov

The Brazilian Central Authority for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Secretaria de Estado dos Direitos Humanos (SEDH).  SEDH's role is to perform the duties given to central authorities under the Hague Abduction Convention, including processing Hague Abduction Convention applications for return of and access to children.

 They can be reached at:

Secretaria de Estado dos Direitos Humanos
Setor Comercial Sul - B, Quadra 9, Lote C
Edificio Parque Cidade Corporate
Torre "A", 10º andar
70308-200, BRASILIA-DF
Telephone/Fax:  +55-61-2025-3481 and +55-61-2025-3975

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Brazil, the left-behind parent may submit a Hague application to the BCA.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the BCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes.  Petitioning parents may also initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to a child in Brazil by retaining a private Brazilian attorney and directly filing a Hague case before a federal court.  However, if a Hague case is directly filed before a federal court, the BCA will not monitor the progress of the case and will have no authority to assist in any manner.

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Brazil.  Attorney fees, if necessary, are the sole responsibility of the person hiring the attorney.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in Brazil.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Brazil.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

Retaining a private attorney is not required in order to file Hague Abduction Convention applications with courts in Brazil. However, parents should consider hiring a private attorney to follow up on cases, directly provide information to courts, and generally advise courses of action appropriate for their individual circumstances. A privately-hired attorney should contact the BCA as soon as possible after the Hague Abduction Convention application has been filed. If a parent does not hire a private attorney, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) will act as the legal representative of the state of Brazil on behalf of Hague applications, because Brazilian law considers Hague abduction cases to be public cases. Therefore, it is important to note that the OAG does not represent the interests of either party. The OAG will file cases with a federal court. 

The Brazilian Bar Association and the Brazil's Defensoria Publica Da Uniao (Public Defender's Office) offer free legal assistance for any type of legal proceeding to those who demonstrate financial need. For additional information, please contact the Brazilian Bar Association, Sao Paulo Section, Legal Assistance Committee at: assistencia.judiciaria@oabsp.org.br.

The U.S. Embassy in Brasilia, Brazil posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law. 

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


In Hague Abduction Convention cases, the BCA always promotes mediation between parents before sending the case to the courts.  Voluntary agreements are also strongly encouraged by the courts. Upon receiving a case, judges schedule a formal conciliation hearing to determine if parties can reach an a agreement which would then be formalized by the court. If a voluntary agreement is not reached, the court will then conduct further hearings and rule on the merits of the application. There are no NGOs or non-profit organizations that mediate between parents in abduction cases in Brazil.



  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Brazil is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption . Therefore, all adoptions between Brazil and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Brazilian law does not allow for a Brazilian child to travel to the United States to be adopted. Therefore, prospective adoptive parents must obtain a full and final adoption under Brazilian law before the child can immigrate to the United States.

NOTE: Special transition provisions apply to adoptions initiated before April 1, 2008. Learn more.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Brazil, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Brazil is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Brazil, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

Adoption in Brazil can be a complicated process, sometimes involving long waits. Brazilian adoption law gives preference to Brazilian citizens and citizens of countries that have implemented the Hague Adoption Convention. Please be aware that without Brazilian citizenship, it is unlikely that a U.S. citizen will be able to adopt a healthy, single child under the age of 5 years. The following types of children are most commonly available to U.S. citizens without Brazilian citizenship:

  • Generally older children between the ages of 9 to 12.
  • Sibling groups of any number and of all ages.
  • Special needs children of all ages.

In addition to the U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Brazil also has the following eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • International adoption will only be considered after all possibilities of finding a national adoption match are exhausted.
  • Brazilian citizens living abroad will have priority to adopt over foreign citizens from other countries.
  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: Brazilian law requires foreign prospective adoptive parents to live in Brazil with the prospective adoptive child for 30 days prior to the adoption.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: Persons over the age of 18 may adopt, regardless of marital status. The adopting party must be at least 16 years older than the potential adoptee.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: Adults over the age of 18 may adopt, regardless of marital status.

    Joint adoption is granted if parents are legally married or have a stable union contract.

    Divorced or legally separated couples may adopt together if they agree on the guardianship, schedule of visits, and have proof of relationship with the child.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Brazil is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Brazil must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Brazil attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Brazil's requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adopteefor you to bring him or her back to the United States.

  • Children over the age of 12 will have to agree to their adoption.
  • Extended family and other immediate relatives will have priority to adopt a child.

Learn more about the Convention's requirements for adoptable children.

How To Adopt

Brazil's Central Authority

The State Judiciary Commission of Adoption (CEJA)


Because Brazil is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Brazil must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements for adoption. Adoption is granted as an exceptional measure and is irrevocable; proxy adoption is prohibited.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600A, a "transitional case" with Brazil before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption; it could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for orphan adoptions, if it meets Brazils "transitional case" requirements. Brazil only considers a "transitional case" as cases where the prospective adoptive parents were matched with a child(ren) prior to the implementation of the Hague Convention. If the I-600A petition was filed prior to April 1 st 2008 without a child match, the case will not be considered a "transitional case" therefore, the I-800A process must be started. 
Learn more.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  5. Adopt the Child in Brazil
  6. Bring your Child Home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider (ASP):

    The first step in adopting a child from Brazil is to select an accredited or approved adoption service provider in the United States. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Brazil. Learn more.

    Please note: Since the implementation of the Hague Convention, the ACAF requests adoption service provider's to send reports on the adopted child(ren) every six months for up to two years after the adoption is granted and/or until the child gets their naturalization certificate.

    • ACAF, the Brazilian Federal Central Authority may also request information about an adopted child at any moment;
    • The ASP's will need to send a copy of the adopted child's naturalization certificate as soon as it is issued to ACAF.
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A, Application for Determination of Suitability to adopt a child from a Convention Country) by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    Once the U.S. Government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your adoption service provider will forward your information to the Central Authority in Brazil. ACAF will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Brazilian law. A lawyer is not required for this service. If prospective adoptive parents are approved by ACAF, it will provide the parent(s) with a "Habilitation Approval Certificate."

  3. Be Matched with a Child:

    If both the United States and Brazil determine that you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the ACAF may provide you with a referral for a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.

    Eventually identify the child(ren) eligible for adoption from a database of prospective adoptees and notify the prospective adoptive parent(s) of the match. There will be a gradual preparation of the prospective family to adopt a child and a post-adoptive follow-up.

  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the USCIS for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800, Petition to Classify a Convention adoptee as an Immediate Relative). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. immigration law to be adopted and enter the United States. Learn how .

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa inelegibilities. If the Consular Office determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States, he or she will notify ACAF (Article 5 letter). For Convention country adoptions, prospective adoptive parent(s) may not proceed with the adoption or obtain custody for the purpose of adoption until this takes place.

    REMEMBER: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

  5. Adopt the Child in Brazil:

    REMEMBER: Before you adopt a child in Brazil, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Brazil.

    The process for finalizing the adoption in Brazil generally includes the following:

    • ROLE OF THE CENTRAL AUTHORITY: Autoridade Central Administrativa Federal (ACAF) is the division of government responsible for intercountry adoption in Brazil and is the sole organization authorized to approve foreign adoptive parents.
    • ROLE OF THE COURT: In October 1990, Brazil promulgated a new Federal Statute for the protection of children and adolescents. In accordance with this law, priority in adoptions is given to Brazilian citizens. Other major terms of the law include:
      • Adoption by Proxy is prohibited
      • A child will only be allowed to depart Brazilian territory when the adoption has been finalized
    • ROLE OF ADOPTION AGENCIES: Prospective adoptive parents are required to use the services of an accredited or approved adoption service provider in the United States, and are advised to fully research any adoption agency or facilitator they plan to use for adoption services in Brazil. Because Brazil is a Convention country, adoption services must be provided by an approved service provider.
    • TIME FRAME: The average time to complete an intercountry adoption in Brazil varies from three months to three years.
    • ADOPTION APPLICATION: To begin the adoption process, prospective adoptive parents must apply for permission to adopt from ACAF. ACAF will process the application; a lawyer is not required for this service. ACAF provides the prospective adoptive parents with a "Habilitation Approval Certificate" and eventually identifies the child(ren) eligible for adoption from a database of prospective children.

      The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro provides a letter addressed to the ACAF stating that the United States will comply with the Hague Adoption Convention (i.e. that the adopted child will be a United States citizen and have all rights as any United States citizen). This letter is provided only after the USCIS has provisionally approved the I-800A application and a copy of the approval is received by the United States Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.

      The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro provides the Article 5 letter. The letter is addressed to ACAF stating that the child(ren) appear(s) to be eligible to receive a visa, and that the United States agrees that the adoption process may continue.

      Once the adoptive parents satisfy Brazilian adoption requirements, a judge may grant a final adoption. The Brazilian government will then allow the child to leave Brazil.
    • ADOPTION FEES: There are no government fees to open a dossier with ACAF. Unfortunately it is difficult to determine an average cost for attorneys in Brazil since prices vary from state to state, and on the qualifications of the attorney.

      The U.S. Embassy in Brazil discourages and the Brazilian National Adoption Law prohibits payment of any fees that are not properly receipted. "Donations," or "expediting" fees, which may be requested from prospective adoptive parents, have the appearance of "buying" a baby and put all future adoptions in Brazil at risk. Any expected expenses should have been itemized in the fees and estimated expenses section of your adoption services contract.
    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: According to Brazilian statutes, petitioners must provide at a minimum the following:
      • A home study including a psychological evaluation and medical report(s) of prospective adoptive parent(s) stating they are in good health and capable to adopt;
      • Certificate of Residence - proof of home ownership or an affidavit from landlord regarding the apartment lease;
      • Photos of the prospective adoptive parent's(s') residence (inside and outside);
      • Pictures of prospective adoptive family and grandparents, if possible;
      • Notice of Approval of I-800A petition;
      • Copy of Petitioner's U.S. passport(s), photo and signature page;
      • Police records, requested within one year;
      • Last filed Federal Income Tax return;
      • Marriage certificate (if applicable);
      • Birth certificate(s) of prospective adoptive parent(s);
      • Divorce Decree (if applicable);
      • Copy of applicant's current state of residence law on adoptions, including statement that the law is still in effect (generally obtained at a state Court House, from a Senator's office, or lawyer);
      • Handwritten signed statement from prospective adoptive parent(s) saying they are aware that adoption in Brazil is free and irrevocable; and
      • Statement that prospective adoptive parent(s) is(are) aware that they must not establish any contact in Brazil with prospective child's birth parent(s) or guardian (if applicable) before the authorization from ACAF is issued.

      NOTE: All documents must be translated into Portuguese and authenticated by the Brazilian Embassy and/or Consulate in the United States. Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. 

  6. Bring Your Child Home 

    Now that your adoption is complete, there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for several documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:
    • Birth Certificate 
      Prospective parent(s) will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate. Adoptive parents can change the child's name and request a new birth certificate, listing their names as parents, at the Brazilian Civil Registry Office. However, the child needs to agree with his/her first name change, if that is the case. There should not be any remarks concerning the adoption on the child's new birth certificate.
    • Brazilian Passport
      Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Brazil. After you obtain a new birth certificate for the child, you will need to apply for a passport for the child at the Brazilian passport office.
    • U.S. Immigrant Visa 
      After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for aU.S. visa from the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro for your child. After the adoption is granted, visit the consulate for final review and approval of the child's I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician's medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Learn more.

      The U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro is the only consulate in Brazil that issues immigrant visas, including adoption visas. Adoptive parents should contact the Immigrant Visa unit by e-mail: adoptionrio@state.gov to verify if their I-800 approval has arrived and to schedule their child's immigrant visa interview. Pre-scheduled appointments are required. Adoptive parents are asked to be at the consulate by 7:45 am. Since wait times vary greatly, adoptive parents should be prepared to spend the entire day at the consulate.

      Adoptive parents are required to bring the following documentation to the consulate on the day of the visa interview:

      • Form I-800, Petition to Classify a Convention adoptee as an Immediate Relative;
      • Form DS-260, Parts I and II;
      • Copies of adoptive parent's(s') passport(s); if one parents is not going to be present on the day of the interview, a notarized copy of their passport data page is required;
      • Child's Brazilian passport;
      • Original and certified copy of child's birth certificate (before the adoption), with official translation, if applicable;
      • Original and certified copy of Adoption Decree, with official translation, if applicable;
      • Medical report on the child, completed by Panel Physician; please consult the consulate's website for a complete list of the Immigrant Visa Unit's Panel Physician List at www.consuladodoseua-rio.org.br;
      • Form I-864W, Affidavit of Support;
      • Proof of income (most recent Federal Income Tax Return);
      • Three (3) frontal face pictures of the child;
      • Immigrant Visa Application fee of $400 in either U.S. Dollars or Brazilian currency. Cash or international credit cards are acceptable, payable at the U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro.

      NOTE: Visa issuance after the final interview generally takes at least 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview. Adoptive parents should verify current processing times at the appropriate consulate before making final travel arrangements.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For extremely rare cases of adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Brazil. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Brazil, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Brazil, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Brazil require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

  • According to Brazilian law, there are post-adoption requirements of adoptive parents.
  • Adoptees may have access to their background records after the age of 18; before the age of 18 access to background records is only granted with judicial approval.

Post-adoption requirements:

  • Brazilian legislation requires ASPs to send post-adoption follow-up reports to CEJA and ACAF on the adopted children every six months for up to two years after the adoption is granted and/or until the child gets the naturalization certificate; they suggest that PAPs sign a document releasing their privacy act so that Brazilian authorities could be informed about the child's progress and adjustment to the new family;
  • ACAF may also request ASPs information about an adopted child at any moment and ASPs need to send a copy of the child's naturalization certificate as soon as it is issued to ACAF.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Consulate in Rio de Janeiro
Avenida Presidente Wilson, 147, Castelo
Rio de Janeiro RJ 20030-020
Tel: (55) (21) 3823-2000
Fax: (55) (21) 3823-2083
Email: adoptionrio@state.gov

Brazil’s Central Authority:

The Autoridade Central Administrativa Federal  (ACAF) is the division of government responsible for intercountry adoption in Brazil.  For further information on intercountry adoptions with Brazil, please contact: Autoridade Central Administrativa Federal (ACAF)
Secretaria de Direitos Humanos
SCS Quadra 09 Lote C Torre "A", 10º andar – Sala 1004-A
Edifício Parque Cidade Corporate
70308-200, BRASILIA-DF
Tel.: +55 (61) 2025 3481 or 2025-7918
E-mail: autoridadecentral@sdh.gov.br

Embassy of Brazil:

Brazilian Embassy
3006 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC   20008
Tel: (202) 238-2700
Fax: (202) 238-2827

NOTE:  Brazilian Consulates are located in Boston, Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and San Francisco.

Office of Children’s Issues

U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email:  AskCI@state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures, contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).


  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 24 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None One 3 Months
C-3 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 48 Months
F-2 None Multiple 48 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-1C $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2A $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2B $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2R $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-3 $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
H-4 $100.00 Multiple 24 Months 3
I $20.00 Multiple 48 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 12 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 12 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $100.00 Multiple 24 Months
L-2 $100.00 Multiple 24 Months
M-1 None Multiple 12 Months
M-2 None Multiple 12 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
O-2 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
O-3 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
P-1 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
P-2 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
P-3 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
P-4 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
Q-1 6 $40.00 Multiple 3 Months 3
R-1 $70.00 Multiple 12 Months
R-2 $70.00 Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Civil Records are available in all 26 states and the Federal District of Brasilia. Birth and marriage certificates may include  annotations regarding previous marriages, divorces, and deaths of former spouses.  In order to have an annotated certificate, an applicant needs to go to a notary (cartorio) and request a second copy – recently issued - of the birth and/or marriage certificate. If the birth or civil document does not have an annotation, it does not necessarily mean that there have been no births, divorces, or deaths.

Divorce certificates are available as an amendment that is annotated on the previous marriage certificate. Also, available is the Certidão de Sentença or Sentença de Divórcio

For examples of Brazilian civil documents click here.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Civil Records are available in all 26 states and the Federal District of Brasilia. Birth and marriage certificates may include  annotations regarding previous marriages, divorces, and deaths of former spouses.  In order to have an annotated certificate, an applicant needs to go to a notary (cartorio) and request a second copy – recently issued - of the birth and/or marriage certificate. If the birth or civil document does not have an annotation, it does not necessarily mean that there have been no births, divorces, or deaths.

Divorce certificates are available as an amendment that is annotated on the previous marriage certificate. Also, available is the Certidão de Sentença or Sentença de Divórcio

For examples of Brazilian civil documents click here.

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Available. An adoption certificate (decreto de adocao) may be obtained by an applicant or his or her agent at the Civil Registry where the adoption was registered. The request must include the child's name and year of the adoption or registration and the book and page number where the adoption was recorded. Adoption certificates are not available by mail. Fee: Varies.

Identity Card

See Passport & Other Travel Documents

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Police records (Atestado de Antecedentes Policiais) are available through both the Federal Police and each of the 26 States and the Federal District of Brasilia. No central tracking system exists that maintains records indefinitely.  Each state’s police record is unique.

Federal regulations require that an applicant 16 or older must present a police certificate, if obtainable, from his or her country of current residence, if residence exceeds six months.  The applicant must also present a police certificate, if obtainable, from his or her country of nationality, if different from the country of current residence and if residence in the country of nationality exceeds six months.  In Brazil, state and federal police records are only available for individuals over the age of 18.  The consular section is aware that police certificates are not obtainable or available in Brazil for individuals under 18 and considers police certificates under that age as unobtainable.  Applicants in Brazil will need to provide a police certificate from each state in which they have lived for over six months during the last five years as well as a federal police certificate. State police certificates are not required for time residing in the Federal District of Brasilia. 

State Police Records (Atestado de Antecedentes Policiais Estaduais) are available from the Department of Public Safety (Secretaria de Segurança Pública).  The records can be obtained from the Civil Police (Policia Civil) -- specifically the Scientific Technical Police department  (Policia Tecnico Cientifica) of the Personal Identification Institute (Instituto de Identificacao, depending on the state. Go here for a list of Public Security Secretariats. Police certificates from the Judicial Courts (Poder Judiciarios) are not acceptable. Records are expunged after five years.

Immigrant visa applicants residing outside Brazil are unlikely to be able to obtain a State Police certificate unless the individual has representative with a power of attorney apply on his/her behalf and if the applicant's Brazilian ID card was issued by the specific state from which the certificate is being requested.

Federal Police Records (Atestado de Antecedents da Policia Federal) are available from the Federal Police (Policia Federal) for adults 18 years of age and older. Go here for a list of Federal Police Offices. Records are expunged after five years.

Please note that some states and the federal police provide on-line certificates.  These certificates are accepted at Post.

For examples of Brazilian civil documents click here.

Court Records

State Court Proceedings  (Processo Criminal Estadual ) – The records (Registros) are available from the respective court districts (Tribunal de Justiça) throughout all 26 states and the Federal District of Brasilia for adults 18 years of age and older. Records are never expunged. Approximately 2,700 court districts exist in Brazil.

Federal Court Proceedings (Processo Criminal Federal )- The records (Registros) are available for adults 18 years of age and older. Records can be obtained at the Federal Justice Court (Tribunal de Justiça Federal).  Records are never expunged.  

For examples of Brazilian civil documents click here.

Prison Records

State Prison Records (Processo de Condenacao Estadual) - Available in all 26 states and the Federal District of Brasilia for adults 18 years of age and older. Records can be obtained at the State Justice court (Tribunal de Justiça Estadual).

Federal Prison Records  (Processo de Condenacao Federal )– Available for adults 18 years and older. Records can be obtained at the Federal Justice Court (Tribunal de Justiça Federal). Records are never expunged.  

For examples of Brazilian civil documents click here.

Military Records

Military enlistment is mandatory for all male Brazilian citizens when they turn 18.Enrollment should be made between January 1 and April 30 during the year of their 18th birthday and the obligation ends when they turn 45. Military records are always available whether or not a person has served. A Certificado de Alistamento Militar (Certificate of Military Service) is available to Brazilians 18 years of age or older and indicates that the bearer is registered as being eligible for military service. A Certificado de Reservista is evidence for reserve status after having served in the Armed Forces. A Certificado de Dispensa de Incorporação indicates that the citizen has been discharged from serving in the military. A Certificado de Isenção (Exemption certificate) is issued for Brazilians who are incapable of serving.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

  • Service Passport. Passaporte de serviço. Green cover. This document is usually valid for a period of one year, however, it may be limited to the duration of the proposed mission or training. Issued to Brazilian civilian and military government employees traveling abroad on official business or training. Issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Brazilian diplomatic missions abroad. Validity: For proposed duration of mission or training. Renewable for additional periods.
  • Regular Brazilian Passport. Blue cover. Issued to Brazilian nationals who hold citizenship through birth or naturalization. Issued by Department of Federal Police in Brazil and by Brazilian embassies or consulates abroad. Validity: Not renewable. Most passports issued on/after July 10, 2015 are valid for 10 years. Before that date, passports were valid for 5 years.
    • Changes in Regular Brazilian Passports: Prior to December of 2010, regular Brazilian passports had green covers and were slightly larger than the current blue passport. Many regular green passports are still in use and will be phased out as they expire.
    • Changes in Name Display on Brazilian Passports: Brazilian names generally are longer than typical American names. The pre-December 2010 convention had been to list the entire name on a single line, with no breakdown by Surname/Given Name. For visa purposes, Mission Brazil's convention was to use the very last name as Surname and the rest of the name, however long, as Given Name. Current Brazilian passports break names down by Surname/Given Name. As a result, visas issued pre-December 2010 may display the applicant's Surname/Given Name differently than in their new passports. This is not an error. For visa issuance purposes, names must match the breakdown as it appears in the current passport, even if Given Name and Surname were broken down differently in prior visa(s) for the same person. When issuing visas to Brazilians, an alias must be entered into the NIV record, with the applicant's very last name listed as Surname, and the rest of their name in the Given Name field.
  • Diplomatic Passport. Passaporte diplomático. Red cover. Issued to Brazilian diplomats and high level public officials traveling abroad on missions of diplomatic nature. Issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Brazilian diplomatic missions abroad. Validity: Normally valid for four years but may be limited to the duration of a specific mission.
  • Passport for Stateless Persons. Passaporte para estrangeiros. Yellow cover. Issued to aliens who no longer hold citizenship of their country of origin. Issued by the Department of Federal Police. Validity: Valid for a period to be determined by the Federal police at time of application and according to the specific circumstances of the case.
    • Note: Nonimmigrants visas issued in passports for Stateless Persons must be limited to a single entry and valid only for the life of the passport.
  • Laissez-Passer. Travel document issued by the Department of Federal Police to persons who for whatever reason are unable to document citizenship in the country of their birth.
  • Brazilian ID Card. Carteira de identidade. Issued by each State's Department of Public Security (Secretaria de Seguranca Pública) to Brazilian citizens. Validity is for life. May be used as travel document with some restrictions for travels to some countries in Latin America (Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay).
  • Resident Alien ID Card. Carteira de identidade para estrangeiros or Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros (RNE). Issued to alien lawful residents in Brazil. Not a travel document. An alien resident is authorized to remain outside Brazil for a period not to exceed two years without losing resident status. In order to re-enter, the alien presents his foreign passport and the carteira modelo 19.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Brasilia (Embassy) -- NIV Only

APO AA 34030
(For all posts. Identify post, e.g., c/o AmConsulate Recife.)

Embassy Street Address:
Avenida das Nacoes, Quadra 801 Lote 3
Telephone: (55) (61) 312-7000

Recife (Consulate) -- NIV Only

Rio de Janeiro (Consulate General) -- All Categories

Sao Paulo (Consulate General) -- NIV Only

Porto Alegre

WASHINGTON D.C. 20521-3070

Consulate Street Address:
Avenida Assis Brasil 1889
Passo d'Areia
Telephone: (55) (51) 3345-6000

Visa Services

Immigrant visas for all of Brazil are processed by Rio de Janeiro. There are no consular districts for non-immigrant visas in Brazil. Applicants may apply at any post.