CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Austria
Official Country Name: Republic of Austria
Country Code 2-Letters: AT
Country Code 3-Letters: AUT
Street: Parkring 12A
1010 Vienna, Austria
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3165.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Vienna
Street Address: U.S. Consular Section
Parkring 12A
1010 Vienna, Austria
Phone: (+43 1) 313-39-7535
Emergency Phone: (+43 1) 313-39-0
Fax: (+43 1) 51 25835
Email: ConsulateVienna@state.gov
Web: https://at.usembassy.gov/embassy/vienna/

Embassy Messages




Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Six months beyond planned date of departure from the Schengen area

Blank Passport Pages:

1 page per stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Not required for stays under 90 days within each 180-day period



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

€10,000 maximum or equivalent

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

€10,000 maximum or equivalent

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Vienna

U.S. Embassy, Consular Section
Parkring 12A
1010 Vienna, Austria
Telephone: (+43 1) 313-39-7535 (Mon to Fri 8:00 am  – 4:30 pm, except U.S. & Austrian holidays) 
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(43 1) 31339-0
Fax: +(43 1) 51 25835

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Austria for information on U.S. – Austria relations. Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay. You need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.  

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Austria website for the most current visa information.

  • Austria is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that U.S. citizens may enter Austria for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. Officials enforce this regulation strictly. If you stay longer, the government may fine you and ban your re-entry. For additional details about travel into and within Schengen countries, please see our Schengen fact sheet.
  • Your passport should be valid for at least six months beyond your planned period of stay.
  • Prospective residents or anyone intending to stay longer than 90 days must obtain the appropriate visa. Austria takes fingerprints of all U.S. visa applicants.
  • Students and prospective students should visit the Study in Austria webpage for the most current information on student visa requirements. Fulbright students and scholars with questions should contact their respective program officer. Additional information for students is available here.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Austria.

Find information on dual nationality, prevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue to plot attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks. However, all European countries are vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations. Austria’s open borders with other Schengen area countries allow the possibility that terrorists may enter or leave the country undetected.

Responding to sharp increases in migration, some Schengen area governments, including Austria, imposed temporary border controls where none existed previously. These controls can cause considerable delays at train and vehicle crossings.

We urge U.S. citizens to remain vigilant about their personal security and to exercise caution.

Demonstrations occur regularly in Austria. Demonstration organizers must obtain prior police approval, and police routinely oversee participants. U.S. citizens should avoid areas around protests and demonstrations. Demonstrations can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. The Embassy posts security messages on its website.

Crime: Austria has one of the lowest crime rates in Europe, and violent crime is rare. Theft of personal property does occur, however. The most frequently reported areas for theft include the plaza around St. Stephen’s Cathedral and nearby pedestrian shopping areas in Vienna’s First District.

  • Beware of pickpockets on public transportation, trains, and train stations. All modes of transport coming into and out of the city center and trains that run between Vienna and Budapest, Prague, and Rome are high-risk. 
  • Do not leave bags unattended. 
  • Be alert to criminal schemes in public places such as cafes and tourist areas.
  • Do not buy counterfeit and pirated goods, even if they are widely available. It is illegal to bring bootlegged items back into the United States, and you may be breaking local laws.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police by dialing 133 or 0800 / 112 112 (victims of crime hotline) and contact the U.S. Embassy at (+43 1) 31339 - 0. 

Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide information on victim’s compensation and support in Austria
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support if you are destitute
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy’s consular section for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Special Circumstances:

  • Expect long prison sentences and heavy fines for possessing, using, or trafficking illegal drugs in Austria. 
  • Contact the Austrian Embassy in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements.
  • Credit cards are not as widely accepted in Austria as in the United States. However, ATMs (‘Bankomat’) are available throughout Austria. Please note that it is very common NOT to receive a receipt.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Austria. The LGBTI community is well-developed in larger cities, such as Vienna, Graz, Linz, Innsbruck, and Salzburg. LGBTI organizations generally operate freely. While there is some societal prejudice against LGBTI persons, Austria has become more liberal with laws and social opinion concerning sexual orientation and gender identity. Anti-discrimination laws also apply to LGBTI persons. Civil partnerships of same-sex couples are legal under a January 2010 law but are not equivalent to marriage.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. Accessibility and accommodation may be very different than in the United States. Austrian federal law mandates access to public buildings for persons with physical disabilities, so accessibility has improved greatly. While many stores and restaurants in Austria still lack ramp or elevator access, most tourist attractions are accessible. A comprehensive assessment of public buildings, including tourist sites, restaurants, cafes, and hotels in Vienna, is on the Vienna Tourist Information website. Click here for information about accessibility in other regions of Austria.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical Care and Facilities: Austria has good medical care and facilities. Austrian hospitals will not settle accounts with American insurance companies. You are responsible for paying medical bills onsite and claiming a refund with your insurer later.  

  • The U.S. Government does not pay medical bills.
  • Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not provide coverage overseas.  
  • Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas or purchase travel insurance for this purpose. 
  • Most care providers overseas accept cash payments only. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.
  • We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Prescription Medications: If traveling with prescription medication, check with the Austrian Federal Ministry for Health to ensure the medication is legal in Austria. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

See the government of Austria website for more information about bringing medication into Austria.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

  • Tick-borne encephalitis is common; a non-USDA-approved vaccination is available. Travelers anticipating high-risk activities (camping, adventure travel) should take precautions. 

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Austrian road conditions in general are excellent. During the winter, roads in alpine areas may become dangerous due to snowfall, ice, or avalanches. Some mountain roads may close for extended periods, and tire chains are often mandatory.

  • Be alert when you drive through autobahn construction zones, particularly on the A-1 East/West Autobahn. Reduced lanes and two-way traffic in these zones resulted in several deadly accidents in recent years. 
  • The English-language channels between 91 and 105 FM (depending on the locale) broadcast traffic information and road conditions. See the Austrian motorway operator website for more information. 
  • Emergency roadside help and information may be reached by dialing 123 or 120 for vehicle assistance and towing services (Austrian auto associations), 122 for the fire department, 133 for police, and 144 for ambulance. The European emergency line is 112.

Traffic Laws: Please see Austria’s travel webpage for detailed information about driving.  

  • Penalties for driving under the influence of alcohol are stricter than in many U.S. states.
  • Austria requires all motor vehicles on Austrian freeways to display a highway toll sticker (“Autobahnvignette”) on the inside windshield of the vehicle.  Purchase this sticker at border crossings, gas stations, or “Tabak” shops.  Fines for failing to display a valid toll sticker are around $300.00.
  • The maximum speed limit is 130 km/hr (81mph) on the Austrian autobahns.
  • Using a hand-held cell phone while driving is illegal.
  • Turning right on red is illegal.
  • Cars on Austrian motorways must leave an emergency corridor in between the far-left lane and all others to the right, even when no emergency vehicle is approaching.
  • Failure to use winter tires on your vehicle between November 1 and April 15 will result in substantial fines. Not using winter tires will void your insurance coverage.
  • You must equip your rental car with proper tires and obey the provisions of the rental contract. Driving a rental car across country borders carries some restrictions. Do not attempt to enter countries listed as “prohibited”.
  • If you have a valid U.S. driver's license, you can drive in Austria without an Austrian license for up to six months, IF accompanied by an international driving permit or an official translation of your U.S. license (from one of the Austrian auto associations, ÖAMTC or ARBÖ). 

Public Transportation: Austria has an extensive and safe public transportation network of buses, streetcars, trains, and subways. Use common-sense safety practices; guard your valuables and remain aware of your surroundings on all public transportation.

  • The Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB) offer excellent railroad services to all major towns and all major cities in Europe. 
  • ÖBB Postbus offers an extensive network of bus lines.
  • Click here for Vienna’s public transportation website.  

See our road safety page for more information. Visit the website of the Austrian National Tourist Office for more transportation information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) found the government of Austria’s Civil Aviation Authority in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Austria’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, DC (202) 895-6700 (202) 895-6750

Los Angeles, CA (310) 444-9310 (310) 477- 9897

New York, NY (212) 737-6400 (212) 772-8926

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Austria and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since October 1, 1988.

For information concerning travel to Austria, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Austria.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Austria.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-485-6221

Email: AbductionQuestions@state.gov


The Austrian Central Authority (ACA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Bundesministerium fur Justiz, located in the Federal Ministry of Justice.  The ACA has an administrative role in processing Hague applications.  The Federal Ministry of Justice forwards completed Hague petitions to the appropriate Austrian court.  A single judge in the local court (Bezirksgericht) holds a hearing and makes the initial Hague decision.  The appeal of the first instance may be made to a panel of judges in the Regional court (Landesgericht).   The second and final appeal maybe made to a panel of judges in the Supreme Court.

The Austria Central Authority can be reached at:

Austria Central Authority
Bundesministerium fur Justiz
Abteilung I 10
1016 Vienna
Telephone:  +43 (1) 52152 2147 / Fax:  +43 (1) 525152 2829
Website:  Austrian Central Authority.

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Austria, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at a the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the ACA.  It is extremely important that each document written in English be translated into German in order to be accepted by an Austrian court.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to ACA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Austria central authorities.  The Austrian courts will appoint an attorney to represent the applicant, and the Austrian government covers the legal expenses when filing a Hague petition in Austria. Additional costs may include airplane tickets for court appearances and for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Austria.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Austria.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand Austria-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The U.S. Embassy in Vienna, Austria, posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law. A parent or guardian who hires private counsel should notify both the Austrian and the U.S. central authorities.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Austrian federal government is extremely supportive of mediation programs to resolve international parental child abduction cases.  While courts cannot order cases into mediation, judges can and do strongly encourage mediated resolutions and can stay hearings to permit parties the time to mediate.

The Austrian Federal Ministry of Justice offers a list of officially recognized mediation organizations (in German). Fees are normally based on hourly rates, but a sliding scale or negotiated rate is sometimes available.  The process involves two mediators:  one with training  in a psycho-social field (such as a social worker or therapist) and the other with legal training (such as an attorney or a judge).  All recognized mediators have completed specialized training in addition to their professional qualifications.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible? Both adoptions to the United States from Austria and from the United States to Austria are possible.
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Austria is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption ( Hague Adoption Convention ). Therefore all adoptions between Austria and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

Austria is not considered a country of origin in intercountry adoption. The information provided is intended primarily to assist in extremely rare adoption cases from Austria, including adoptions of Austrian children by relatives in the United States, as well as adoptions from third countries by Americans living in Austria.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Austria, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Austria is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Austria, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more.

In addition to these U.S. requirements for prospective adoptive parents, Austria also has the following requirements for prospective adoptive parents:

  • RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS: The adoptive parents need to be legal residents of Austria.
  • AGE REQUIREMENTS: The adopting father must be at least 30 years old and the adopting mother 28 years old. The prospective adoptive parent must be 18 years older than the adoptee, with limited exceptions. There is no maximum age limit.
  • MARRIAGE REQUIREMENTS: The Austrian government prefers that the prospective adoptive parents be married, although the law does not officially specify this. If married, the couple must apply jointly. If not married, only one prospective adoptive parent may apply.
  • OTHER REQUIREMENTS: If the adoptive parents already have children of their own (either biological or adopted), they may have less of a chance to adopt. The adoptive parents must also meet certain personal, social, health, and economic conditions determined by the local youth welfare authority,. If they are found to be suitable an extensive home study is prepared by their social workers. In some Austrian Provinces it is obligatory for prospective adoptive parents to attend a training seminar. Finally, the adoptive parents must have no criminal record.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Austria is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Austria must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the Convention requires that Austria attempt to place a child with a family in-country before determining that a child is eligible for intercountry adoption. In addition to Austria'S requirements, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adopteefor you to bring him or her back to the United States.

Please note: There are few Austrian children eligible for intercountry adoption.


Relinquishment Requirements:
If the child is legitimate, the prospective adoptive parent(s) must enter into a contract with the child's biological father (if contact can be made). This contract must contain certain legal requirements, including both of the birthparents' consents.

Abandonment Requirements: 
If the child is an orphan or illegitimate child, his/her legal guardian must sign the adoption contract. In addition, the child's mother (again, if contact is possible) must give her written consent to the adoption, unless she herself signed the adoption contract as legal guardian of the child. All signatures on the adoption contract as well as the biological mother's signature on her consent to the adoption must be notarized either by an Austrian notary public (within Austria) or by a notary public outside of Austria whose signature is authenticated via the "apostille" procedure. A fact sheet outlining this latter procedure may be accessed on the Internet at http://www.HCCH.net ( Hague Legalization Convention.)

How To Adopt


The Bundesministerium für Justiz (Federal Ministry of Justice) in Vienna is the federal Central Authority for adoption in Austria.

However, the local adoption authorities in the various provinces are responsible for setting and administering adoption policies and procedures. See Contact Information for the provincial adoption authorities in the nine provinces, including the City of Vienna.


Because Austria is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Austria must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600a with Austria before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption. Your adoption could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions. Learn more.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Immigration to the United States
  5. Adopt the Child in Austria
  6. Bring your Child Home
  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider: 

    The first step in adopting a child from Austria is to select an adoption service provider in the United States that has been accredited. Only these agencies and attorneys can provide adoption services between the United States and Austria. Learn more.

  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

    After you choose an accredited adoption service provider, you apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-800A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn how.

    Once the U.S. government determines that you are "eligible" and "suitable" to adopt, you or your agency will forward your information to the adoption authority in Austria. Austria's adoption authority will review your application to determine whether you are also eligible to adopt under Austria's law.

  3. Be Matched with a Child:

    If both the United States and Austria determine that you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, the central adoption authority in Austria may provide you with a referral for a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of the particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child.

  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

    After you accept a match with a child, you will apply to the U.S Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for provisional approval to adopt that particular child (Form I-800). USCIS will determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted and enter the United States. Learn how.

    After this, your adoption service provider or you will submit a visa application for to a Consular Officer at the U.S. Embassy. The Consular Officer will review the child's information and evaluate the child for possible visa inelegibilities. If the Consular Office determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States, he/she will notify the Austria's adoption authority (Article 5 letter). For Convention country adoptions, prospective adoptive parent(s) may not proceed with the adoption or obtain custody for the purpose of adoption until this takes place.

    Remember: The Consular Officer will make a final decision about the immigrant visa later in the adoption process. 

  5. Adopt the Child (or Gain Legal Custody) in Austria:

    Remember: Before you adopt (or gain legal custody of) a child in Austria, you must have completed the above four steps. Only after completing these steps, can you proceed to finalize the adoption or grant of custody for the purposes of adoption in Austria.

    The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Austria generally includes the following:

    • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: Investigations and inquiries to assess the eligibility and suitability of prospective parents are performed independently by the local youth welfare authorities acting under the authority and according to the instructions of the competent provincial governments.
    • ROLE OF THE COURT: If the court is satisfied that the adoption would be in the best interest of the child, it issues a decree (Beschluss) certifying the adoption contract. This decree makes the adoption final and legally valid, and a new birth certificate for the child giving any new name(s) may be obtained from the appropriate Bureau of Vital Statistics (Standesamt). If the court does not approve the adoption, the contract is void.
    • ROLE OF ADOPTION AGENCIES: Youth welfare agencies, as well as non-governmental agencies in Oberosterreich, Salzburg, and Vienna, place children eligible for adoption with prospective adoptive parents.
    • TIME FRAME: Austrian adoptions take about 12 months to complete. This includes the 6 months during which the child lives with the adoptive parents while under the supervision of provincial adoption authorities and an additional 6 months needed to complete legal requirements.
    • ADOPTION APPLICATION: The district court granting the adoption is the competent authority per Art. 23 of the Convention
    • ADOPTION FEES: In the adoption services contract that you sign at the beginning of the adoption process, your agency will itemize the fees and estimated expenses related to your adoption process.

      With respect to adopting from Austria, prospective adoptive parents can expect to pay notary fees and that of any attorney selected. There are court costs and an adoption contract fee to be paid in connection with an adoption. The U.S. Embassy in Austria discourages the payment of any fees that are not properly receipted, "donations," or "expediting" fees, that may be requested from prospective adoptive parents.
    • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The adoption contract and the mother's release are submitted to the appropriate Austrian court with a petition for certification (Bestätigung).

      The court may require evidence of the adopting parent's financial status.

      The court may also require a "home study" in the United States or at the place of residence abroad through an appropriate agency.

      NOTE: Additional documents may be requested. If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how.

  6. Bringing Your Child Home:

    Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child), there are a few more steps to take before you can head home. Specifically, you need to apply for three documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

    Birth Certificate 
    You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

    In the case of adoptions from third countries, the appropriate Bureau of Vital Statistics (Standesamt) will issue a new Austrian birth certificate based on the child's original birth certificate.

    Austrian Passport

    Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Austria.

    An Austrian passport will be issued on the basis of a new birth certificate and the court adoption decree.

    U.S. Immigrant Visa 
    After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the United States Embassy for your child.

    APPLYING FOR A VISA AT THE U.S. EMBASSY IN austria: Prospective adoptive parents should contact the U.S. Embassy in Vienna for specific procedures when they are applying for intercountry adoption in Austria.

    Note: Immigrant Visa issuance after the final interview now generally takes 24 hours and it will not normally be possible to provide the visa to adoptive parents on the day of the interview.

    After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, visit the U.S. Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-800 petition and to obtain a visa for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the "Panel Physician's" medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage.


For adoptions finalized abroad: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to acquire American citizenship when he or she enters the United States as lawful permanent residents.

For adoptions to be finalized in the United States: The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 allows your child to typically acquire American citizenship when the U.S. state court issues the final adoption decree. We urge your family to finalize the adoption in a U.S. State court as quickly as possible.

*Please be aware that if your child did not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible. Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Learn more about the Child Citizenship Act.

Traveling Abroad


A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Austria. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy. The Passport Application Wizardwill help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print-all in one place.


In addition to a U.S. passport, you also need to obtain a visa. A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit. Where required, visas are attached to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.

To find information about obtaining a visa for Austria, see the Department of State's Country Specific Information.


Before you travel, it's always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country. The State Department is a good place to start.

The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.


When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to register your trip with the Department of State. Travel registration makes it possible to contact you if necessary. Whether there's a family emergency in the United States, or a crisis in Austria, registration assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Registration is free and can be done online.

After Adoption

What does Austria require of the adoptive parents after the adoption? 

Post-adoption services are provided by the youth welfare authorities. If requested by states of origin post-adoption reports can be made a social worker or by a private organisation entrusted to do so by the competent youth welfare authority.

We strongly urge you to comply with the wish of the country of origin and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents. 

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Austria 
Address: Boltzmanngasse 16
A-1090 Vienna
Tel.: (+43-1) 31339-0
Fax: (+43-1) 310 06 82
E-mail: embassy@usembassy.at 
Internet: https://at.usembassy.gov/

Austria's Adoption Authority

For The Federal Government:

Bundesministerium für Justiz (Federal Ministry of Justice)
Abteilung I 10
Postfach 63
1016 WIEN
Telephone number: +43 (1) 52152 2731
telefax number: +43 (1) 52152 2829
e-mail: robert.fucik@bmj.gv.at

For The State Of Burgenland:

Burgenländische Landesregierung
Abteilung 6 - Soziales
Europaplatz 1
Telephone number: +43 (2682) 600 2330 or 600 2325
telefax number: +43 (2682) 600 2865
E-mail: post.soziales@bgld.gv.at

For The State Of Carynthia:

Kärntner Landesregierung
Abteilung 13 - Soziales, Jugend, Familie und Frau
Völkermarkt Ring 31
Telephone number: +43 (463) 5363 1301
telefax number: +43 (463) 5364 1300
e-mail: post.abt13@ktn.gv.at

For The State Of Lower Austria:

Niederösterreichische Landesregierung
Abteilung GS 6
Landhausplatz 1, Haus 14
Telephone number: +43 (2742) 9005 16371 or 16412
telefax number: +43 (2742) 9005 16120
e-mail: post.gs6@noel.gv.at

For The State Of Upper Austria:

Land Oberösterreich
Abteilung Jugendwohlfahrt
Bahnhofsplatz 1
4020 LINZ
Telephone number: +43 (732) 7720 15214 or 14962
telefax number: +43 (732) 7720 15328
e-mail: jw.post@ooe.gv.at

For The State Of Salzburg:

Salzburger Landesregierung
Abteilung 3 - Soziales
Fanny-von-Lehnert-Strasse 1
Postfach 527
Telephone number: +43 (662) 8042 3578
telefax number: +43 (662) 8042 3883
e-mail: soziales@salzburg.gv.at

For The State Of Styria:

Steiermärkische Landesregierung
Referat Jugendwohlfahrt
Körblergasse 110
8010 GRAZ
Telephone number: +43 (316) 877 3090
telefax number: +43 (316) 877 5457
e-mail: bettina.strasser@stmk.gv.at

For The State Of Tyrol:

Tiroler Landesregierung
Abteilung Jugendwohlfahrt
Wilhelm Greil Strasse 25
Telephone number: +43 (512) 508 2642
telefax number: +43 (512) 508 2645
e-mail: juwo@tirol.gv.at

For The State Of Vorarlberg:

Amt der Vorarlberger Landesregierung
Abteilung Gesellschaft und Soziales - IVa
Telephone number: +43 (5574) 5112 4119
telefax number: +43 (5574) 5112 4195
e-mail: werner.grabher2@vorarlberg.at

For The State Of Vienna:

Wiener Landesregierung
Magistratsabteilung 11
Referat für Adoptiv- und Pflegekinder -
Dezernat II
Lustkandlgasse 50
1090 WIEN
Telephone number: +43 (1) 4000 90770
telefax number: +43 (1) 4000 99 90770
e-mail: rem-rap@m11.magwien.gv.at

Embassy of Austria
Austrian Embassy
Address: 3524 International Court, Washington D.C. 20008
Tel: 202-895-6711
Fax: 202-895-6773
Internet: http://www.austria.org/

Austria also has consulates in: Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York.

Office of Children's Issues
U.S. Department of State  
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Tel: 1-888-407-4747
E-mail: AskCI@state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 120 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 120 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Except as indicated, each of the documents mentioned below is available only to the individual concerned or to his duly empowered agent. Except for police records which may be obtained only by the individual concerned in person, a local legal representative may obtain the document on behalf of the individual concerned on the latter's written power of attorney.

The processing time required for Austrian civil documents varies depending on the office of court concerned, but normally takes from 2 weeks to 3 months.



Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates


Fees: There is a fee for a birth certificate issued in duplicate by the parish or civil authorities or by the Israelitische Kultusgemeinde (Jewish Community), subsequently referred to as ‘Kultusgemeinde (Fee for birth certificate: EUR 9,30)

Document Name: Birth Certificates (Geburtscheine)

Issuing Authority: Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” 

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: issued in black ink, letter size, seal of the Austrian Registrar’s Office

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Austrian Registrar’s Office

Registration Criteria: Unknown

Procedure for Obtaining: Gentiles born prior to January 1, 1939 whose parents, at the time of their birth, professed a religion legally recognized in Austria must apply for birth (baptismal) certificates at the rectory (Pfarramt) of the parish in which they were born. Persons born into the Jewish faith prior to the above-mentioned date must apply to the Jewish Community Headquarters (Kultusgemeinde) of the community where they were born. All other persons born prior to January 1, 1939 must apply to the civil district authorities (Politische Bezirksbehoerde) of the district in which they were born. Special regulations apply to persons born in the Federal State of Burgenland, formerly a part of Hungary. If born after 1894 their birth is recorded with the Matriculation Office (Matrikelamt) of the community where they were born.

Since January 1, 1939 civil registration of births has been made compulsory throughout all of the Republic of Austria, and all applications for birth certificates concerning births which took place after that date must be addressed to the Matriculation Office (Standesamt) of the community in which the person was born. Since November 2014, the request can be made at any Matriculation Office (“Standesamt”) in Austria.  For these persons, only a birth certificate issued by the Standesamt, and not a baptismal certificate issued by the christening priest is recognized as legal evidence and date of birth in Austria. 

Certified Copies Available:  Yes

Alternate Documents: Baptismal Certificates (Taufscheine)

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments: Birth certificates (Geburtscheine) and baptismal certificates (Taufscheine) are both recognized as legal evidence of place and date of birth in Austria, depending upon when and where in Austria a person was, and what religion the parents professed at that time.


Death Certificates


Fees: There is a fee plus return postage for a death certificate issued in duplicate by the parish or by the civil authorities Fee: EUR 9,30 If issued by the Kultusgemeine (Jewish), return postage is not required.

Document Name: Death certificates (Sterbeurkunde)

Issuing Authority:  Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” 

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, seal of the Magistrar Office, letter size

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” 

Registration Criteria:  Issuance of a coroner’s certificate – “Todesbescheinigung”

Procedure for Obtaining:  With coroner’s certificate and ID at the Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” 

Certified Copies Available:  Yes

Alternate Documents: International death certificate

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments  No




Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates


Fees: There is a fee for marriage certificates issued in duplicate by the civil authorities, or issued by the Kultusgemeinde (Jewish). Fee:  EUR 9,30

Document Name:  Heiratsurkunde

Issuing Authority:  Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt” 

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:  black ink, seal of the Magistrar Office, letter size

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Austrian Registrar’s Office “Standesamt”

Registration Criteria: in person or in writing,  ID necessary   

Procedure for Obtaining:  proceed to the Magistrar Office https://www.wien.gv.at/verwaltung/personenwesen/

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: International marriage certificate

Exceptions: No

Comments: Prior to August 1, 1938, the date when the German Marriage Law was introduced into Austria, there were two distinct types of legal marriage ceremony, the ecclesiastical and the civil. The ecclesiastical ceremony was the required procedure, whereas the civil ceremony was acceptable only in cases of persons who did not belong to any religion legally recognized in Austria, or, in cases where the priest refused the marriage ceremony for reasons not recognized by civil law. In Burgenland, the civil marriage ceremony was compulsory for everyone. Since August 1, 1938 this procedure has been applicable to all of Austria. 


Divorce Certificates


Fees: There is a fee for each two page, or fraction thereof, plus return postage (EUR 25,00)

Document Name:  Scheidungsurkunde

Issuing Authority: Superior Courts (known in Vienna and provincial capitals as Landesgericht, and elsewhere as Kreisgericht)

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: Court seal

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: district or  family court

Registration Criteria:  Apply at the district or family court

Procedure for Obtaining:  ID number of court case necessary

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: No

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments:  Prior to the introduction of the German Marriage Law, divorce decrees were called Trennungsurteil and, after August 1, 1938, Scheidungsurteil. Before August 1, 1938 Jews were able to obtain a divorce from the District Court (Bezirksgericht). Under the old Austrian law, Roman Catholics were unable to obtain a full divorce, but merely a separation from bed and board, which, if based on mutual consent, was granted by the District Court. This impossibility of obtaining a divorce also applied to marriages where only one party was Roman Catholic at the time the ceremony was performed. However, during the period following World War I, up to February 1934, legally separated Roman Catholics could obtain a dispensation in certain of the Austrian Laender (especially Vienna) from the existing bond of matrimony. On the basis of such a dispensation granted by the civil administrative authorities, they could conclude a second (civil) marriage. If such second marriage was subsequently contested by lawsuit, the Federal usually ruled that the second marriage was void. When the German Marriage Law was introduced in Austria in July 1938, persons separated from bed and board under Austrian law could apply to the Superior Court for a decree by which such separation was changed to a full divorce without further proceedings.



Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Fees:  There is a fee for each two pages, or fraction thereof, plus return postage.


Document Name:   Adoptionsvertrag

Issuing Authority: District Court (Bezirksgericht) which has jurisdiction over the area where the adopted child resides.

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, seal of the district court

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: District court

Registration Criteria: inquiry at the district court

Procedure for Obtaining: A copy of the adoption decree may be obtained by the adopted child or the adopting parents from the court.

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: No

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments: Under Austrian law an adoption contract must be concluded between the adopting parent and the adopted child (or its legal guardian) and approved by decree of the District Court

Identity Card

Identity Card



Fees: The fee for a residence certificate varies according to the issuing authority, plus return postage.

Document Name: Residence Certificates. The certificates are variously titled 'Meldezettel', 'Aufenthaltsbestaetigung', 'Meldungsbestaetigung' and 'Meldeausweis'. The fee for a residence certificate varies according to the issuing authority, plus return postage.

Issuing Authority: Residence certificates are issued in Vienna and the in larger cities by the police authorities, and cover only the residence in that particular community by which issued. In smaller communities, residence certificates are issued by the office of the mayor ('Gemeindeamt').

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, letter size, seal of Austrian Magistrar’s office

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Austrian Magistrar’s office

Registration Criteria: ID, rent contract or purchase contract

Procedure for Obtaining:  within three days after moving to Austria, at the Magistrar’s office

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: Unknown

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments: The police certificate of conduct does not list the exact places and periods of residence of the person concerned, therefore, a residence certificate is required to make certain that the applicant's statements concerning his residence in Austria are correct. 



Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records



Fees:  EUR 30,70

Document Name: Certificate of Criminal Record (Bescheinigung ueber Verurteilungen) 

Issuing Authority: Office where the application was filed after a search of the centralized records of the Federal Police Headquarters (Bundespolizeidirektion) in Vienna. 

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, letter size, seal of the police office

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Landespolizeidirektion oder Polizeikommissariat

Registration Criteria:  ID and birth certificate and identity card

Procedure for Obtaining:  Persons residing outside of Austria must apply at the Austrian mission or consulate in their country of residence. Persons residing in Austria must apply to the Federal police in the larger cities or any mayor's office in the rural areas. Application forms entitled "Antrag auf Ausstellung einer Bescheinigung gemaess Paragraph 10 des Strafregistergesetzes" must be used. These forms may be obtained at any of the above Austrian offices. The applicant must apply in person and be able to prove his identity by a suitable document bearing the applicant's photograph. A Certificate of Criminal Record can only be obtained by the applicant himself.

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies of court records of conviction (Urteilsabschrift) may be obtained directly from the court by the applicant or his legal representative upon presentation of a power of attorney. 

Alternate Documents: No

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments: These records are available for a period of fifty years from the date of the conviction.

Convictions (except those resulting in a sentence of life imprisonment) are automatically expunged from the centralized penal records after the passage of the specified period of time; for less serious offenses, after five years and for more serious crimes, after 10 years. An act of clemency or a general amnesty may remove any conviction from the records. Convictions that have been removed from the records will not appear on the Certificate of Criminal Record. The removal of convictions from the records under Austrian law is not recognized for visa purposes, since the innocence of the convicted person is not a pre-condition for the removal.


Court Records


Available/Unavailable:  Available.  At the courts where court record was issued

Fees:  Unknown

Document Name:  Verurteilungsprotokoll

Issuing Authority: Courts

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, letter size, signed and sealed by court

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: Courts, signed by judge

Registration Criteria:

Procedure for Obtaining:  ID

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: No




Prison Records


Comments: Available. See police record above. No separate prison record is available.


Military Records

Military Records



Fees: Unknown

Document Name:  Generally called "Auszug aus den Militaer Gerichtsakten"

Issuing Authority: Militaerkommando Oesterreich: http://www.bundesheer.at/adressen/a_milkden.shtml

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: black ink, letter size, seal from ‘Bundesheer Oesterreich’

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Militaerkommando

Registration Criteria: Unknown

Procedure for Obtaining:  Unknown

Certified Copies Available: Yes

Alternate Documents: No

Exceptions: Unknown

Comments:  Records pertaining to the old Imperial Armed Forces prior to 1918 were partially destroyed during World War II, and in many cases no document can be obtained covering any trials before a military court during this period. Other records available cover persons who served in the Austrian Army from 1934 to 1938, and also civilians who were tried in military courts during the July 1934 disturbances. Very few records are available concerning persons who served in the German Armed forces during the period when Austria was part of Germany (March 1938 to May 1945), except for records of the 177th Division.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Passports & Other Travel Documents


Types Available (Regular, Diplomatic, Official, etc.): Alien’s Passport

Fees: EUR 75,90 for regular service, EUR 100 for 2-3 days issuance, EUR 220 for 24 hour issuance

Document Name: Reisepass

Issuing Government Authority: Passport office at the Austrian Magistrar’s office

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: dark red cover, EU design

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:  Passport office at the Austrian Magistrar’s office

Registration Criteria: Austrian citizenship

Procedure for Obtaining:  in person at any passport office (Magistrar’s office)  with ID

Alternate Documents: Emergency passport

Exceptions: No

Comments: The bearer of an Austrian "Alien's Passport" requires a valid Austrian visa to enable the bearer to apply for readmission to Austria. Therefore, such passports meet the requirements of Section 101(a)(30) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, only if they contain an Austrian reentry visa, valid for six months beyond the date of intended stay in the United States.

Other Documents Available: Residence certificates

The police certificate of conduct does not list the exact places and periods of residence of the person concerned, therefore, a residence certificate is required to make certain that the applicant's statements concerning his residence in Austria are correct. Residence certificates are issued in Vienna and the in larger cities by the police authorities, and cover only the residence in that particular community by which issued. In smaller communities, residence certificates are issued by the office of the mayor ('Gemeindeamt'). The certificates are variously titled 'Meldezettel', 'Aufenthaltsbestaetigung', 'Meldungsbestaetigung' and 'Meldeausweis'. The fee for a residence certificate varies according to the issuing authority, plus return postage.



Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Post Title: Embassy

Address: Boltzmanngasse 16

Vienna, Austria (Embassy)

USEMB Vienna
APO AE 09108-9900

Phone Number:  0043 1 31339

Visa Services:  NIV, IV

Comments / Additional Information: Address of the U.S. Consulate: Parkring 12 a, 1010 Vienna,

Phone number: 31339-7543, Immigrant visa section


Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Austria.