CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Australia
Official Country Name: Commonwealth of Australia
Country Code 2-Letters: AU
Country Code 3-Letters: AUS
Street: MLC Centre Level 10 19-29 Martin Place Sydney, NSW 2000 Australia
Fact sheet: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2698.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Consulate General Sydney
Street Address: MLC Centre
Level 10
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney, NSW 2000
Phone: +(61) (2) 9373-9200
Emergency Phone: +(61) (2) 4422-2201
Fax: +(61) (2) 9373-9184
Email: SydneyACS@state.gov
Web: https://au.usembassy.gov/

Embassy Messages

Country Map
Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Must be valid at time of entry

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Yes – visa or Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

Amounts over AUD 10,000, or equivalent, must be declared

Currency Restrictions for Exit:

Amounts over AUD 10,000, or equivalent, must be declared

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Consulate General Sydney

MLC Centre
Level 10
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney, NSW 2000
Telephone: +(61) (2) 9373-9200
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(61) (2) 4422-2201
Fax: +(61) (2) 9373-9184


U.S. Embassy Canberra
Moonah Place
Yarralumla, ACT 2600
Telephone: +(61) (2) 6214-5600
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(61) (2) 411-424-608
Fax: +(61) (2) 6214-5970



U.S. Consulate General Melbourne
553 St. Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC 3004
Telephone: +(61) (3) 9526-5900
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(61) (3) 9389-3601
Fax: +(61) (3) 9525-0769

U.S. Consulate General Perth
4th Floor
16 St. George's Terrace
Perth, WA 6000
Telephone: +(61) (8) 6144-5100
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(61) (8) 9476-0081
Fax: +(61) (8) 9325-5914

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Australia for information on U.S. - Australia relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

You must have a valid U.S. passport and a visa to enter Australia. Most U.S. passport holders traveling to Australia for tourism or business purposes for less than 90 days can obtain an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA). The ETA is an electronic label-free visa and can be obtained at theETA website for a small service fee. Airlines and many travel agents in the United States are also able to apply for ETAs on behalf of travelers.

If you overstay your ETA or any other visa, even for short periods, you may be subject to exclusion, detention, and removal by the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

If you are, travelling on a valid U.S. ePassport (a passport that contains an electronic chip) and are 16 years of age or older, you are eligible to use Australia’s automated border processing system, SmartGate, upon arrival in Australia. There is no additional enrollment process or fee to participate in SmartGate. Visit the SmartGate website for more information and for a list of participating airports in Australia.

Visit the Embassy of Australia website for the most current visa information.

HIV/AIDS restrictions. Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors and foreigners seeking permanent residence in Australia. Depending on the type of visa you apply for, the length of your stay, and your intended activities in Australia, you may be required to undergo a medical examination before the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) will issue you a visa.

If during the course of the application process, you are found to be HIV positive, a decision on the application will be considered on the same grounds as any other pre-existing medical condition (such as tuberculosis or cancer), with the main focus being placed on the cost of the condition to Australia’s health care and community services.

Additional information about Australian immigration health requirements can be found here. Please verify this information with the Embassy of Australia before you travel.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorists have targeted, and will likely continue to target, Australia.

  • Public information released by the Australian government suggests police and security forces have identified no less than fourteen foiled terrorist plots in the past three years. The Australian government is concerned about about the potential for future attacks.
  • Australia has an alert system for possible terrorist attacks. The threat levels range from “not expected” to “certain.” The Australian Attorney General's Office website has up-to-date information regarding the current terrorism threat level. You may also contact the Australian National Security Hotline at 61-1-800-123-400.
  • U.S. citizens in Australia should remain vigilant with regard to their personal security and exercise caution.
  • Australian law protects the right of individuals and groups to engage in peaceful protest and to publicly express their views. Demonstrations and political rallies are generally approved by local authorities and well publicized. However, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. You should avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and be careful within the vicinity of any demonstrations. You should stay current with media coverage of local events and be aware of your surroundings at all times.


  • Although U.S citizens are not specifically targeted for crime, you should be aware that robberies, burglaries, assault, and auto theft are common in Australia’s larger cities.
  • Foreign visitors in popular tourist areas are targets for pickpockets, purse-snatchers, and petty thieves. Most petty crime can be avoided if basic security precautions are taken.
  • Be careful when visiting bars or clubs in the entertainment areas of major cities, as “bar brawls” and other assaults sometimes occur. Also, watch out for drink spiking when consuming alcohol with unfamiliar people.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 000 and contact the U.S. Consulate in your district. 

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide information about Australian Victim Assistance programs
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the U.S. Consulate in your district for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, imprisoned or deported.

  • It is illegal to take pictures of certain buildings, such as inside certain areas of Australian airports, near prisons, and at military bases.  

Some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. See our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Alcohol and Drugs

  • Penalities for possession, use, or trafficking of drugs are strict. Convicted offenders can expect lengthy sentences and fines.
  • Driving under the influence of alcohol can result in jail time.
  • Random breath testing of a driver's blood alcohol level is a common occurrence.


Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Consulate in your district immediately. See ourwebpage for further information.

Potential Health Screening: The 1908 Quarantine Law gives Australian authorities broad powers to prevent the entry of diseases and other materials into Australia that might pose a threat to its welfare. In the event of a public health emergency involving a communicable disease, passengers arriving in Australia may be subject to strict health screening measures, including testing, monitoring, and assessment for possible quarantine.

Customs: Australian customs authorities enforce very strict regulations concerning the importation from all countries of items such as agricultural, including plants and food products, and wood products, as well as very strict quarantine standards for other products, animals, and pets.

Contact the Embassy of Australia in Washington, D.C., or one ofAustralia's consulates in the United States for specific information regarding customs requirements, and visit the Australian Government's Department of Agriculture website for additional information.

Natural Disasters:

Australia experiences a range of natural disasters, including bushfires, floods, and severe storms. These events are difficult to predict and can result in loss of life. You should be aware of conditions around you and monitor local weather and safety reports so you can take appropriate action when needed.

See our Natural Disasters pages for information on storm preparedness and response.

Safety Concerns:

Outdoor Recreation/Adventure

  • Be aware that Australian fauna can be dangerous. From jellyfish off the Great Barrier Reef to crocodiles, sharks, poisonous insects, and snakes, the continent and its waters host wildlife that merit awe and respect in equal doses.
  • Visit the Wet Tropics Management Authority visitor information guide for information on Australian wildlife and marine life.
  • Take important safety precautions when swimming, such as swimming only between the flags where a lifeguard is present, and never swimming alone.
  • Further information on beach safety can be found on the Surf Life Saving website.
  • Follow recommended precautions when snorkeling and scuba diving and never dive alone. Over the past few years, there have been numerous deaths related to snorkeling and scuba diving incidents.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) events in Australia. Australian federal law prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation.

  • As of December 9, 2017 Australia defines marriage as “the union between two people.” For additional information visit the Australia Attorney General website. Australia grants temporary and permanent visas to same-sex partners of Australian citizens.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance.

  • Australia enforces laws prohibiting discrimination with regard to access to premises, facilities, and accommodation.
  • Many of the downtown areas of Australian cities were built in the 1800s. These areas often have narrow sidewalks crowded with pedestrians and tourists.
  • Generally, most public transit, parking, streets, and buildings are accessible to disabled travelers.
  • Tourist spots at the beach or in the Australian outback can have varying degrees of accessibility.
  • Many accomodations and venues provide accessibility information on their websites.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical Care:

  • Excellent medical care is available in Australia.
  • Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services.
  • Serious medical problems requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to the United States can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
  • We do not pay medical bills.
  • Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.
  • Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas.
  • If your health insurance policy provides coverage outside the United States, remember to carry both your insurance policy identity card as proof of such insurance and a claim form.
  • Although many health insurance companies will pay "customary and reasonable" hospital costs abroad, very few will pay for your medical evacuation back to the United States.
  • See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.
  • We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.


  • If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Australia to ensure the medication is legal inAustralia.
  • Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:

  • Traffic operates on the left side of the road, and all vehicles use right-hand drive.
  • Use caution when crossing streets and when driving.
  • When crossing roads on foot, make sure you look carefully in all directions.
  • Seat belt use by drivers and all passengers is mandatory, and fines apply for not wearing them.
  • Motorcyclists must wear helmets.
  • Speed limits and laws are rigorously enforced. Speed limits vary throughout Australia and are measured in kilometers, not miles. Be aware that speed cameras are everywhere and you will be ticketed for driving over the speed limit.
  • Roads and streets are frequently narrower and less graded than U.S. highways.
  • Outside major metropolitan areas, most highways are two-lane roads with significant distances between destinations.
  • When driving in Australia, exercise caution while passing or merging with adjacent traffic.
  • If driving in rural areas, be alert to free-roaming animals, such as kangaroos, and "road-trains" (several semi-truck trailers connected together).
  • Passing road-trains is dangerous, and you should pull over to allow on-coming road-trains to pass to avoid being sideswiped.
  • If you have no experience with a 4-wheel drive vehicle, you should exercise common-sense when driving in the Australian outback.

Traffic Laws:

  • Each state/territory has different rules about using a foreign driver’s license and the conditions under which a visitor might have to get an international driver’s license. More information about driving rules and regulations is available by state.
  • Texting or holding your phone while driving is against the law in Australia, but you can use a hands-free system to communicate while driving.
  • For specific information concerning Australian driving permits, vehicle inspection, road tax, mandatory insurance, and the rental and operation of motor vehicles in Australia, visit the Australian Tourist Commission website.

Public Transportation:

Australia has an extensive and safe public transportation network consisting of buses, streetcars, trains, and subways. Metered taxis are also prevalent. Use common sense safety practices, such as guarding valuables and remaining aware of your surroundings, on all public transportation.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Australia’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Australia’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to Australia should also check forU.S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to theU.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website portal select “broadcast warnings”.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Washington, D.C. (202) 797-3000 (202) 797-3168

Chicago, IL (312) 419-1480 (312) 419-1499

Honolulu, HI (808) 529-8100 (808) 529-8142

Houston, TX (832) 962-8420 (832) 831-2022

Los Angeles, CA (310) 229-4800 (310) 277-5746

New York, NY (212) 351-6500 (212) 351-6501

San Francisco, CA (415) 644-3620 (415) 536-1982

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? Yes
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

Australia and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since July 1, 1988.

For information concerning travel to Australia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Australia. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention


The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Australia.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-485-6221
Website: travel.state.gov
Email: AbductionQuestions@state.gov

The Australian Central Authority (ACA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Commonwealth Attorney General’s Department, International Family Law Section.  The Attorney General’s Department coordinates the implementation of the Convention to include forwarding applications to the relevant State Central Authority in Australia.  Legal proceedings in Australia for the return of children are filed and conducted by the State and Territory Central Authorities operating in each of the six states and two territories. 

The Australian Central Authority can be reached at:

International Family Law Section
Attorney-General’s Department
3-5 National Circuit
Barton ACT 2600
Telephone number: 001-61-2-6141- 6666
Email: australiancentralauthority@ag.gov.au

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Australia, a parent must submit a Hague application to the ACA through the Central Authority in his or her country of residence.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the ACA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative and legal processes. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Australian central authorities.  Additional costs may include the cost of hiring video conferencing facilities to present evidence in an Australian court, or costs associated with traveling to Australia to attend a court hearing or for the return of the child, if so ordered. 




A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Australia.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Australia.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

A parent is not required to retain a lawyer in Australia in order to invoke the Hague Abduction Convention.  When the ACA receives a request for the return of, or access to, a child from an overseas Central Authority, it will determine if the request meets the terms of the Convention.  If the ACA is of the opinion that the request is compliant, it will refer the application to the Central Authority of the relevant State or Territory to initiate proceedings in the Family Court of Australia for a return or access order under the Convention.  It is important to note that a Central Authority does not legally represent the parent in Convention proceedings and does not take instructions relating to the conduct of the case directly from the parent.  The Central Authority is the Plaintiff in Convention proceedings, and the abducting parent is the Respondent.

If a parent wishes to conduct his or her own case, he or she can retain a lawyer privately in Australia.  In this situation, the Central Authority will not provide representation and the proceedings will be conducted at the expense of the left-behind parent.

The U.S. Embassy in Canberra, Australia posts list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Australian Central Authority strongly promotes mediation in abduction cases and will coordinate mediation when appropriate, through non-government organizations. 

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? Yes
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible? enter text here
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner? enter text here
Hague Convention Information


Australia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA) and its implementing regulations, as well as the relevant legislation and regulations of Australia.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Australia. U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Australia should contact the Australian Government Attorney‑General’s Department, Marriage and Intercountry Adoption Branch, the Central Authority of Australia, to inquire about applicable laws and procedures. U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Australia who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Australia’s Central Authority. See contact information below.

Under the Hague Adoption Convention, Australia is a receiving country only and does not have an outgoing inter-country adoption program to place Australian children with families living outside of Australia.

For domestic and inter-country adoptions by prospective adoptive parents residing in Australia, each state and territory is responsible for assessing and approving adoption applications in accordance with its particular laws. Adoptions of Australian children by U.S. citizens residing outside Australia and/or who do not hold Australian citizenship or permanent residency are not permitted under state and territory law.

The information provided below is intended to assist US citizens who are dual Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents living in Australia, and wish to adopt an Australian child or participate in Australia’s inter-country adoption program.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to Australia and the U.S. Mission in Australia's website for information on consular services.


U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Australia, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of a Convention adoptee under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IH-3 or IH-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

Who Can Be Adopted

How To Adopt

Traveling Abroad

After Adoption

Contact Information


U.S. Mission in Australia
U.S. Consulate General, Sydney
Level -10 MLC Centre,
19-29 Martin Place
Sydney, NSW 2000
Tel: 61 2 9373 9200
Email: sydneyacs@state.gov
Internet: https://au.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/sydney/
The U.S. also has consular representatives in Canberra, Melbourne, and Perth. Please note that Canberra does not provide consular services to the public.

Australia’s Adoption Authority

Australian Central Authority for Intercountry Adoption
Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department
Marriage and Intercountry Adoption Section
Robert Garran Offices
3-5 National Circuit
Barton  ACT  2600
Tel: 61 2 6141 3217
Email: intercountryadoption@ag.gov.au

Australia’s state and territory central authorities:

Embassy of Australia
The Embassy of Australia
1601 Massachusetts Avenue
NW Washington DC 20036
Tel: (202) 797-3000
Fax: (202) 797-3168
Web: http://www.usa.embassy.gov.au/whwh/home.html

Australia also maintains Consulates-General and Consulates in Chicago, Denver, Houston, Honolulu, New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street, N.W. (SA-17)
Washington, D.C. 20520
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email: AskCI@state.gov
Internet: adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about immigration procedures:
National Customer Service Center (NCSC)
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet: uscis.gov


  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 12 Months A
B-2 None Multiple 12 Months A
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 12 Months A
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 $105.00 B Multiple 48 Months
E-2 2 $105.00 B Multiple 48 Months
E-3 None Multiple 24 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
F-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
I $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 $105.00 C Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 $105.00 C Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
L-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
M-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
M-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 $105.00 D Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 $105.00 Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
R-2 $105.00 Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

  1. Tiered Fee Schedule: B-1/B-2 visa valid for 60 months, multiple entries, $25.00 or multiple entries for 12 months, no fee.

  2. 48 months for the actual investor and immediate family; 24 months for other employees and dependents.

  3. No fee for High school students or USG sponsored or assisted students.

  4. For groups of ten or more listed on the same petition, the maximum total issuance fee cannot exceed $1,050 USD.

    Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates


Applications for Birth or Death certificates should be made to the Registrarin each specific Australian State or Territory.

Burial Certificates










Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage, Divorce certificates


Marriage Certificates

Applications for Marriage certificates should be made to the Registrar in each specific Australian State or Territory. The marriage certificate signed on the day of your ceremony is not acceptable.

Divorce Certificates

Applications for Divorce Decree Certificates should be made directly to theFamily Law Courts in each specific Australian State or Territory.



Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

New South Wales

Adoption Record
Unavailable. In New South Wales, Adoption Orders are made in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Equity Division. The Court does not issue a copy of the Adoption Order to the adoptive parent(s). The Court sends a Memorandum of Adoption to the Principal Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in New South Wales, and a further copy is provided for the similar authority if the child was born in another State or Territory of the Commonwealth of Australia.

The Principal Registrar can only issue a birth certificate in the child's "adopted" name showing the adoptive parents as natural parents. The new birth certificate is not distinguishable from any other original birth registration, and gives no evidence of adoption.

In order to meet other requirements of the Immigration and Naturalization Service in processing the I-600 petition, the adoptive parent(s) should write to the adoption authority in New South Wales. A statement that the adoption was finalized should be requested, and that the natural parent(s) did, in fact, irrevocably release the child for adoption prior to the making of the Order of Adoption. The name and address of the New South Wales Adoption authority is:

Adoption Branch,
Department of Youth and Community Services
Box 3485
Parramatta, N.S.W. 2124

There are cases, however, where the Court can dispense with the written consent of the natural parent(s) and still allow an Order of Adoption of full force and effect to be made. These children may actually be orphans, wards of the State, or the surviving parent(s) may be incapable of making a decision to release the child for adoption. Post has been unable to definitively ascertain how specific the information furnished will be without referral to a particular case.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Court Records - All Australia

Available. Whereas a police certificate will show the offense committed and the penalty imposed, it will not show the section of law under which convicted, nor the value of any goods involved. Applicants can obtain Certificates of Conviction by writing directly to the court involved, giving the full name, the nature of the offense, and the date of the court appearance that will show on the police certificate. The fee varies and the specific information required should be requested. Some courts destroy or retire minor records after a number of years, but the court can confirm that the record is unavailable. Verbatim transcripts are available in some cases.

Police Records - All Australia


  • Fees:  Refer to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website for the current fee
  • Issuing Authority:  Australian Federal Police
  • Procedure for Obtaining:  Follow instructions on the Australian Federal Police (AFP) website.

Australian Federal Police certificates based on fingerprints are preferred, but a certificate not based on fingerprints is acceptable if it shows all aliases ever used. 

Police certificates issued by State and Territory police are NOT acceptable, it must be issued by the Australian Federal Police.

Applicants who are required to provide an Australian Federal Police certificate should present it at the time of interview or request that it be sent directly to the Consulate where they will apply.

Police certificates are valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

New South Wales

Court Record
Available. Applicants should communicate directly with the Clerk of the Court where the conviction occurred. In submitting a request, the full name of the person should be furnished, the date the conviction occurred and the nature of the offense. Fees for court records vary depending upon the length of the court record.

Northern Territory

Prison Record

Available. The prison record will appear on the police certificate.

South Australia

Prison Record




Prison Record



Prison Record

Available from the Department of Justice Victoria, Correctional Services Division, 20 Albert Road, South Melbourne, VIC 3205. Application should include the applicant's full name, aliases, date and place of birth and dates and places of imprisonment.

Western Australia

Prison Record
Shown on police certificate.







Military Records


A military discharge certificate issued by any branch of the armed forces prior to 1991 will normally state the length of service and indicate whether the discharge was honorable or not.

If the discharge certificate has been lost, or does not indicate whether the discharge was honorable or dishonorable, an applicant may write to the relevant branch of the armed forces that will issue a letter providing this information:

Air Force:  Directorate of Personnel, Airmen, E-2-32 (Russell Offices, Canberra, ACT 2600.
Army:  Discharge cell, Soldiers' Career Management Agency, BPO Box 1932-R, Melbourne, VIC.
Navy:  Directorate of Sailors' Posting, D-2-25, Canberra, ACT 2600.

Requests for such information should be made to the Secretary of that department. All information furnished should be treated as confidential.


Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Name Change Certificate


Evidence of your legal name change must be  issued by a civil authority.  In Australia, name change certificates are issued by the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages.  These certificates are not required if your name change is based on your marriage.

Australian Citizenship Certificate


The Australian citizenship certificate is issued to applicants who became Australian citizens after their birth. You may request confirmation of yourAustralian citizenship status here.


Visa Issuing Posts

Enter text here.

Visa Services

Enter text here.