CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Aruba
Official Country Name: Aruba
Country Code 2-Letters: AW
Country Code 3-Letters: ABW
Street: J.B. Gorsiraweg 1, Willemstad, Curaçao
Fact sheet: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/22491.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Consulate General Curacao
Street Address: J.B. Gorsiraweg 1,
Willemstad, Curaçao
Phone: +(599) (9) 461-3066
Emergency Phone: +(599) (9) 510-6870
Fax: +(599) (9) 461-6489
Email: ACSCuracao@state.gov
Web: https://cw.usconsulate.gov/

Embassy Messages


Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Must be valid at time of entry and for duration of stay. More information on entry requirements can be found here.

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:




Currency Restrictions for Entry:


Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Consulate General Curacao

J.B. Gorsiraweg 1,
Willemstad, Curaçao
+(599) (9) 461-3066
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(599) (9) 510-6870
Fax: +(599) (9) 461-6489

Destination Description

Aruba is a semi-autonomous part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The economy is well-developed and tourist facilities are widely available. Read the Department of State Fact Sheet on Aruba for additional information on U.S. – Aruba relations.

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

Upon arrival in Aruba, you must have: (1) a U.S. passport valid for the duration of your stay; (2) a completed Embarkation and Disembarkation Card (ED-Card); (3) a return or onward ticket; and (4) proof of sufficient funds to cover your accommodations and food expenses during your stay. For stays longer than 30 days, see Aruba’s extension of stay upon entry requirements. You can complete the ED-Card in advance of your trip online or fill it out on the airplane. If you complete the ED-Card online, you can wait less time at the airport and avoid filling out forms on the airplane. Apply for your U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. For more information about applying for a passport, visit travel.state.gov or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778).

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to travel to Aruba. You can stay in Aruba without a visa or permit for the number of days granted by the immigration officer on the ED-Card. The maximum period that you can be authorized to stay as a tourist is 180 consecutive days within a time frame of one year. This is called the visa-free period. It is calculated from time of arrival, not on a calendar year basis. To stay longer than 180 days, you must apply for a residence permit from the Directorate of Alien Integration, Policy and Admission (DIMAS). Tourists are not allowed to work. For information on work and residence permits, contact DIMAS.

For further information, travelers may contact: the Royal Netherlands Embassy, 4200 Linnean Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008, telephone (202) 244-5300; the Dutch Consulates in Chicago, Miami, New York, and San Francisco; the Government of Aruba; Directorate of Alien Integration, Policy and Admission (DIMAS); and the Aruba Tourism Authority.

For Health Information for Travelers to Aruba, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Website.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Aruba.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our customs information page.

Safety and Security

The crime threat on Aruba is rated medium by the Department of State, and travelers should take normal precautions in unfamiliar surroundings. Crime against tourists consists primarily of theft. The main targets are valuables left unattended in public areas (beaches, cars, hotel lobbies, etc.). Purses, cameras, passports, phones, and other handheld electronics are the most frequently stolen items. Accordingly, take normal precautions to secure personal property. Do not leave valuables in cars in plain view or unattended in unsecured hotel rooms and rental homes. Keep a copy (paper or digital) of your U.S. passport in a secure location in case the original is lost or stolen.

Incidents of violent crime, including rape and armed robbery – although not common – do occur. Exercise caution when visiting more isolated areas of the island.

There is an increased risk of crime in the San Nicolas district, especially at night. Crimes against tourists are more common here.

Car theft, especially of rental vehicles, can occur. Vehicle leases and rentals may not be fully covered by local insurance when a vehicle is stolen or damaged. Be sure you are sufficiently insured when renting any item.

Parents of young travelers should be aware that the legal drinking age of 18 is not always enforced, so extra parental supervision may be appropriate. Travelers should take standard safety precautions when frequenting nightclubs and bars. Travel in pairs or groups, and, if you consume alcohol, do so responsibly. Take precautions to avoid consuming spiked beverages, e.g., do not leave your drink unattended or accept open containers from strangers. If you are a victim of a crime, report it immediately to Aruba police (dial 100 for police assistance; 911 for an ambulance) and the U.S. Consulate General Curaçao.  

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Dial 911 if you need emergency medical assistance. Dial 100 for police assistance.

If you are a victim of crime, report it immediately to Aruba police. Do not rely on hotel, restaurant, or tour company management to make the report for you.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crimes that occur on Aruba.  

Call the U.S. Consulate General Curaçao at +5999-461-3066. We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • replace a stolen or lost passport
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home

For more information, see our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Consulate for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws when you travel to Aruba. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Aruba’s enforcement policy concerning drug possession differs significantly from Holland’s. In Aruba, laws against possession of controlled substances are enforced rigorously, including against tourists in possession of marijuana for personal use.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Consulate immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Local law is based on Dutch law, which allows for the detention of subjects during an investigation with the approval of a judge. Persons detained in Aruba do not have the option of posting bond for their release.

Dual Nationality: Dutch law, in principle, does not permit dual nationality. However, there are exceptions to this rule. For detailed information, contact the The Netherlands Embassy in Washington, DC, or one of the Dutch Consulates in the United States.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Aruba. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights Report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance. While on Aruba, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different than in the United States. Sidewalks and crossings in many areas are not wheelchair accessible, and many buildings lack ramps.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Access to quality medical care is more limited than in the U.S., and facilities may not offer the health and service standards you expect in the U.S. There is one hospital, Dr. H.E. Oduber Hospital, which provides services comparable to a small hospital in the U.S. The hospital has tiered health care with accomodations varying according to insurance and ability to pay.

There is no decompression chamber in Aruba. Persons suffering from decompression sickness must be medically evacuated for proper treatment.

Not all medical specialties are represented in Aruba. Critically ill patients requiring services not offered at Dr. H.E. Oduber Hospital are transferred to neighboring countries, such as Colombia. If medical evacuation is authorized by the patient’s insurance carrier or funded privately (approximately $15,000 – 25,000), patients can be transferred to the United States. We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.  

In addition to Dr. H.E. Oduber Hospital, there is a 24/7 walk-in clinic, Urgent Care Aruba, for non-life threatening illnesses and injuries. Urgent Care Aruba, located at Noord 63 (3-5 minutes from Aruba’s high-rise hotels), offers pick-up and drop-service for a fee.

There is a small medical center, Centro Medico, in San Nicolas. The clinic is located at Bernhardstraat 75 and can be reached by car, taxi, or bus (line 1).

Phone numbers for health and service providers in Aruba:

  • Ambulance: 911
  • Hospital: +(297) 527-4000
  • Urgent Care Aruba: +(297) 586 0448
  • Centro Medico San Nicolas: +(297) 524-8833

Aruba is only 12 degrees from the equator, so the solar radiation is very strong. Sunscreen is recommended anytime you are outside during the day.

Bring necessary medications with you. Carry prescription medication in original packaging, along with your doctor’s prescription. The variety of drugs available locally is smaller than in the U.S., and you may not be able to find all of your medications in Aruba. For most medicines, you will need a local prescription. Pharmacies (called “boticas”) are located around the island and provide prescription and over-the-counter medicines. Boticas normally operate Monday to Saturday from 7 am to 7 pm. One botica stays open at night and on weekends according to a rotating duty schedule. To find out which pharmacy is available after hours, you can visit pharmacy on duty in Aruba, ask your hotel, or go to any pharmacy and look for an announcement posted on the window.

The following diseases are prevalent: Zika Virus, Chikungunya, Dengue Fever.

Zika virus is a mosquito-borne illness that can be spread from a pregnant woman to her unborn baby as well as through sexual contact. The CDC has concluded that the Zika virus is a cause of microcephaly and other severe fetal brain defects in some fetuses and babies born to infected mothers. Zika outbreaks have been reported in Aruba. Because of the risk of birth defects in babies born to women who were infected with Zika while pregnant, women who are pregnant should not travel to Aruba. For more information, see Zika Virus in Aruba. Text PLAN to 855-255-5606 to receive Zika updates for your destination. For additional information about Zika, including travel advisories, visit the CDC website.

Chikunguya and Dengue are mosquito-borne illnesses that are becoming more frequent in tropical and equatorial climates around the world. Preventing mosquito bites is the most important way to prevent these illnesses. Travelers should carry and use CDC recommended insect repellents.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage. We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. As of March 1, 2018, Aruba requires that passengers from select countries have proof of vaccination against yellow fever.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: While in a foreign country, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions that differ significantly from those in the United States. Aruba's main thoroughfare, L.G. Smith Boulevard, is well lit, and most hotels and tourist attractions can be easily located. Road signs in Aruba are different than in the US, so familiarize yourself with them before driving. Roads are very slick after rainfall, so drive cautiously. Watch out for scooters, motorcycles, and ATVs, as drivers of these vehicles may not strictly follow traffic rules. Be alert for speeding cars and drunk drivers. In less developed areas, watch out for goats and other animals that may cross the road unexpectedly. Night driving is reasonably safe, as long as drivers are familiar with the route and road conditions. Most roads are not as well-lit as U.S. roads. Driving while intoxicated is punishable by fine and imprisonment.

Traffic Laws: You can drive with a valid driver’s license from your home state. An international driver's license is not required. Drive on the right-hand side of the road (as in the U.S.). Roundabouts are common in Aruba, and it’s important to know the traffic rules for navigating them. Drivers approaching roundabouts must yield to traffic already in the roundabout and wait for an opening to enter. Right turns at red lights are prohibited. U-turns are often restricted. Traffic signs prohibiting actions have a red circle around them, but not the red slash you expect to see in the United States. Local law requires drivers and passengers to wear seat belts, and motorcyclists to wear helmets. Children must ride in the back seat, and children under 5 years of age must be in a child safety seat. In the event of an accident, do not move your car or pull over to alleviate a traffic jam caused by the accident. If an accident occurs, dial 100 to inform the police and call the rental car company and the insurance company immediately. 

Public Transportation: Taxis, while relatively expensive, are safe and well regulated. Taxis do not have meters. Determine the price in advance, as rates are based on destination rather than mileage. Buses provide convenient and inexpensive service to and from many hotels and downtown shopping areas. Buses run every 15 minutes between 5:45 am and 6 pm, and every 40 minutes between 6 pm and 11:30 pm. The central bus station in downtown Oranjestad is located across the road from the cruise terminal next to Royal Plaza.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of the Aruba Tourism Authority for more information about transportation.

Aviation Safety Oversight: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the government of Aruba’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Aruba’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

The U.S. Consulate has temporarily prohibited U.S. Consulate personnel from flying on Insel Air. The Consulate adopted this policy following an internal review of safety-related considerations.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.

Enter text here

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Aruba, including information about the location of the U.S. Consulate General, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Aruba. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Aruba is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Aruba and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Aruba and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction. For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child. The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children. Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709

Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Website:  childabduction.state.gov
Email: AbductionQuestions@state.gov 

Child abduction is a criminal offense under the laws of Aruba. A petition for prosecution can be filed with the Public Prosecutor (Openbaar Ministerie) in Aruba. The Government of Aruba does not maintain a website specifically regarding custody, family law and visitation. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney in Aruba and who can provide legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court. Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.  


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney in Aruba who can provide legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States. Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the U.S. Consulate General in Curaçao for information.

Retaining an Attorney

The Department of Social Affairs offers reduced/free legal assistance. The person requiring a reduced fee or free legal assistance must contact the Department of Social Affairs first in order to obtain a BRK-Form. With this form, the person can obtain documents regarding his income with the Civil Status and Census Bureau and the Tax Department in Aruba. After these documents have been returned, the Department of Social Affairs will decide whether to grant reduced-fee or free legal assistance.

The contact details of the Department of Social Affairs are as follows:

Directie Sociale Zaken
Lagoenweg 9-A
Oranjestad, Aruba
Telephone: (+297) 582-1100
Telefax: (+297) 583-5171/ (+297) 583-0847
E-mail: dsz@setarnet.aw

The U.S. Consulate General in Curaçao posts a list of attorneys here

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms.  Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by th


You may contact the Voogdijraad Aruba for mediation in custody disputes:

Directie Voogdijraad
Avenida Milio
J. Croes 112
Oranjestad, Aruba
Tel: (+297) 582-1262
Fax: (+297) 583-7097
E-mail: Directie.Voogdijraad@aruba.gov.aw

The costs for official duties performed by the Voogdijraad Aruba are covered by the Government of Aruba.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? enter text here
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible? enter text here
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

enter text here

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Aruba, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

enter text here

Who Can Be Adopted

enter text here

How To Adopt

enter text here

Traveling Abroad

enter text here

After Adoption

enter text here

Contact Information

enter text here

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None N/A N/A3
H-2R None N/A N/A
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates


Available. Birth certificates are available at Census Bureau, Oranjestad, Aruba. There is a fee per document. Certificates are in Dutch. The same office will arrange translation into English by a sworn translator for a fee per each certificate.

NOTE: Include sufficient funds for return mail.


Available. Death certificates are available at Census Bureau, Oranjestad, Aruba. There is a fee per document. Certificates are in Dutch. The same office will arrange translation into English by a sworn translator for a fee per each certificate.

NOTE: Include sufficient funds for return mail.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates


Available. Marriage certificates are available at Census Bureau, Oranjestad, Aruba. There is a fee per document. Certificates are in Dutch. The same office will arrange translation into English by a sworn translator for a fee per each certificate.

NOTE: Include sufficient funds for return mail.


Available. Divorce certificates are available at Census Bureau, Oranjestad, Aruba. There is a fee per document. Certificates are in Dutch. The same office will arrange translation into English by a sworn translator for a fee per each certificate.

NOTE: Include sufficient funds for return mail.


Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Police "Good Conduct" certificates are available at the Public Prosecutors Office, Havenstraat 2, tel. 297-5214100 / fax: 297-52141901, email: om.aruba@setarnet.aw, website: www.omaruba.aw. The fee for the certificate is 40 Aruba guilders, which is approximately 22 U.S. dollars.

Court Records

Court records are available at the Court of First Instance of Aruba, J.G. Emanstraat 51, tel.: 297-5822294 / fax.: 297-5821241. Applicants should request information in writing to the attention of the Clerk of the Court. The fee depends on the number of pages requested.

Prison Records

Prison records are available at the Correctional Institute of Aruba, Santo di Patia 1, tel.: 297-5246381 / fax.: 297-5847844, email: kia@setarnet.aw. Applicants should request information in writing.

Military Records

Available, from the Netherlands only, concerning applicants who served there. [See Netherlands].

The military record of an Aruban conscript can be furnished if a declaration, signed by the person concerned is submitted, stating that there is no objection to the record being given to a third party. These data are available from the Mariniers Kazerne, Savaneta, Aruba.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable.


Visa Issuing Posts

Caracas, Venezuela (Embassy)

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant and immigrant visa applications for nationals of Aruba are processed by the U.S. Embassy in Caracas, Venezuela.