SUBMIT FORM DS-4085 IF:
STEPS TO SUBMITTING FORM DS-4085
Read and understand Steps 1-3 before completing Form DS-4085.
STEP 1: Complete and Print Form
Enter your information online and print Form DS-4085. Print the completed form using black ink on one-sided pages.
Print a blank Form DS-4085 and complete by hand. Print the form on one-sided pages and complete with black ink.
STEP 2: Sign and Date
You must sign and date Form DS-4085 on page 1 of the application
STEP 3: Submit Completed Form + U.S. Passport
Mail Form DS-4085 to the address listed on the form, along with:
- Your currently valid U.S. Passport Book
- Current Passport Fees
NOTE: We strongly encourage applicants to use a mail service which provides delivery confirmation when mailing a passport application or any additional documentation to the Department of State
If You Wish to Expedite Your Passport Application:
- Include a check or money order for $60.00 made payable to the U.S. Department of State (See Passport Fees)
- Clearly mark ‘EXPEDITE’ on the outside of the envelope
- We recommend using an overnight delivery service for delivery to and from the Passport Agency
NOTE: If you live outside the U.S. and Canada, you cannot submit Form DS-4085 by mail to the address on the form, and should contact your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to add pages to your passport.
NEED A U.S. PASSPORT IMMEDIATELY?You should make an appointment to be seen at a Regional Passport Agency only if:
- The U.S. passport is needed in less than 2 weeks for international travel
- The U.S. passport is needed within 4 weeks to obtain a foreign visa
Contact the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment or locate a Passport Agency.
If you are overseas and need to apply for or renew your U.S. passport, please follow the instructions under the U.S. passport section in Tips for Americans Traveling Abroad .