U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) Supervisor Locator
If your previous supervisor was U.S. military or an employee of the U.S. Department of Defense and you are having trouble locating them, the U.S. government can possibly help, although it is not guaranteed.
Under the Supervisor Locator program, we will try to locate your previous supervisor and contact them for you. Please download, complete, and submit Form DS-158 to the Department of State’s National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will forward your information to the Supervisor Locator, who will then reach out to the relevant U.S. government agencies, including DoD and Veteran’s Affairs, to seek contact information.
Please be sure to fill out the DS-158 as thoroughly as possible to ensure that we have a stronger chance to locate your supervisor. In particular:
- In Box 1, ensure you include the nickname or “code name” you used when working with the supervisor so he will recognize your name.
- In the boxes titled “WORK EXPERIENCE – PREVIOUS” make sure you completely fill out as much detail as possible. This includes:
- Under “Employer's Name and Address:” write your supervisor’s name, rank and branch of service (Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Civilian, etc.).
- Under “Date From” and “Date To”, write when you worked for your supervisor.
- Under “Describe Your Duties,” write a few items that you did when working for this supervisor as well as the name of the military base and the town/city and country where you and your supervisor served together. Please also indicate the unit in which your supervisor served.
This information may be crucial to locating your previous supervisor.
If you require any assistance with completing this form, please call the NVC at (603) 334-0828 (customer service representatives are available Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time) or send an e-mail to AfghanSIVApplication@state.gov if the applicant is an Afghan National.
When you have completed the DS-158 form, scan and e-mail the form to AfghanSIVApplication@state.gov if the applicant is an Afghan National. Please place DOD Supervisor Locator in the subject line of your e-mail.