Step 5: Collect Supporting Documents
After you collect your financial forms and supporting financial evidence, you and each family member immigrating with you to the United States should collect the civil documents that are required to support your visa application. You need to:
- Gather the documents that apply to you using the information below.
- Send a photocopy of all required civil documents to NVC. (see submission instructions in Step 6).
- Bring the original documents (or certified copies) plus a photocopy to your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.
All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which you are applying for a visa, must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that:
- The translation is accurate, and
- The translator is competent to translate.
Your civil documents must be issued by an appropriate authority in your country. Use the Document Finder tool below to learn about the requirements for each country.
Then review each category of civil documents listed below, and obtain any that apply to you or your immigrating family members. You will submit photocopies of these documents to NVC in Step 6.