Emergency Alert
September 17, 2017
Hurricanes Irma and Jose
Emergency Alert
October 2, 2017
Hurricane Maria

Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Zambia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Zambia – Level 1: Exercise normal precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Zambia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Zambia:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Zambia
Quick Facts

6 months


2 blank pages per entry for Zambia and South Africa




Yellow fever, if entering from a yellow fever endemic country






Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lusaka

Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
Lusaka, Zambia
Telephone: +(260) 211-357-000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(260) 211-357-000 or +(260) 966-877-805
Fax: (+260) (0) 211-357-224

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Zambia for information on U.S. - Zambia relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

A passport and visa are required to enter Zambia. Passports must be valid for at least six months upon arrival and have at least two blank pages upon each entry. Travelers transiting South Africa must have at least two blank visa pages upon each entry as well.

A single-entry visa, valid for up to 90 days, may be obtained at a port of entry. Day visitors from neighboring countries can obtain day-trip visas at the border. Business or voluntary service visitors must enter on business visas or they will be fined, incarcerated, and deported.

Visit the Embassy of Zambia’s website for information on other types of visas and the most current visa information.

The South African government requires proof of yellow fever vaccination if arriving from or transiting yellow fever endemic countries. You must be vaccinated at least 10 days prior to arrival. Those without proof may be denied entry. Complete entry/exit requirements for South Africa can be found in the Country Specific Information for South Africa.

You must carry the original or a certified copy of your passport and immigration permit at all times. Certified copies must be obtained from the office that issued the permit. If your passport is lost or stolen, visit the Zambian Department of Immigration to obtain a replacement entry permit at no cost before attempting to depart the country.

Departure Tax/Security Charge: U.S. citizens must pay an airport departure tax in local currency. This tax is included in the cost of international flight tickets. For domestic flights, passengers pay prior to entering the departure hall. A security charge ($3 domestic and $5 international) payable in Zambian kwacha is collected from all departing passengers.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Zambia.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Spontaneous demonstrations occasionally occur. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can quickly turn confrontational and escalate into violence.

To stay safe you should:

  • avoid large crowds, demonstrations, and political gatherings
  • follow media coverage of local events
  • be aware of your surroundings at all times
  • exercise caution when traveling throughout the country
  • avoid walking alone in the downtown areas, residential compounds, public parks, and poorly lit areas—especially at night.

Border Areas: Travelers are discouraged from driving off-road or in remote areas near the borders with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Angola because of the danger of undetected land mines and unexploded ordnance. If you must travel to these areas, you should drive in convoys and carry satellite telephones. Additionally, the DRC border area is plagued with ongoing unrest and an armed criminal element. See the Country Specific Information for the DRC and Angola for additional information.

Crime: Lusaka, Livingstone, and most other major cities and the major game parks are generally safe during daylight hours. However, armed robberies have occurred in Livingstone, Copperbelt Province, and elsewhere. There have been violent attacks, including home invasions/robberies, and sexual assaults within 2016. Victims were followed from banks, nightclubs, or ATMs and robbed at gunpoint on the street or at their residences.

The most commonly reported crimes against visitors are:

  • theft of unattended possessions in public places, vehicles, or hotel rooms
  • creative confidence scams
  • pick-pockets in crowded markets and on public transportation
  • snatched bags and smart phones on busy city streets
  • smash and grab attacks on vehicles idled in traffic 
  • car-jackings

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crime to the local police at 991 or 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at + (260) 011-357-000 or + (260) 966-877-805. 

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled or arrested. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Special Circumstances: The Zambian constitution does not recognize dual nationality. U.S. citizens who retain their Zambian citizenship are expected to enter and exit Zambia on their Zambian passport. The U.S. Embassy’s ability to assist U.S. citizens may be limited if the citizen is traveling on a Zambian or other foreign passport.

Possession of more than 0.5 grams of an illegal substance can constitute drug trafficking in Zambia. Travelers have been detained for possession of antihistamines such as Benadryl and other over-the-counter medications. You should consider leaving such medications behind.

Wild Animal Products: It is illegal to purchase tortoise shells, rhino horns, elephant ivory, the tusks of any animal, or any items made out of these materials. Even if you see these items for sale in a market and the seller assures you they are legal, do not buy them! The Government of Zambia will prosecute offenders to the fullest extent of the law with penalties ranging from large fines to five year prison sentences.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: Zambian law criminalizes consensual same-sex sexual activity and penalties for conviction of engaging in “acts against the order of nature” are 15 years to life imprisonment. The lesser charge of “gross indecency” carries penalties of up to 14 years imprisonment.

LGBTI persons in particular are at risk of societal violence due to prevailing prejudices, misperceptions of the law, lack of legal protections, and inability to access health services.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Zambian law prohibits discrimination in general, but no law specifically prohibits discrimination against persons with physical, sensory, intellectual, or mental disabilities. The Zambian government has not mandated accessibility to public buildings and services for persons with disabilities; public buildings, schools, and hospitals generally do not accommodate persons with disabilities.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Private medical clinics in major cities provide reasonable care, but major medical emergencies usually require medical evacuation to South Africa, Europe, or the United States. The nearest air ambulances are based in South Africa. Government hospitals and clinics are often understaffed and lack supplies. Basic medical care outside of major cities is extremely limited. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Zambia to ensure the medication is legal in Zambia. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Malaria
  • Rabies
  • African trypanosomiasis
  • Cholera
  • Typhoid
  • HIV
  • Hepatitis A

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety:

When traveling in Zambia, please be aware:

  • Secondary roads are not well maintained; use major roads whenever possible.
  • Most roads do not have shoulders or sidewalks and are poorly lit.
  • Pedestrians and livestock use the roadways.
  • Passing another vehicle is dangerous given the general condition of roads.
  • Lookout for tree branches which local drivers often place behind their cars to indicate a breakdown or trouble.
  • Cars with non-functioning headlights and taillights are a common hazard.
  • Night driving is discouraged.
  • There are no emergency services for stranded or injured drivers.
  • Auto accident victims are vulnerable to theft by those pretending to be helpful.

Traffic Laws:   

  • Vehicles drive on the left side of the road.
  • Vehicles in traffic circles travel clockwise.
  • It is illegal to turn left on a red light.
  • Splashing a pedestrian as you drive through water is a traffic violation.
  • You should come to a stop and pull to the side of the road if you hear sirens indicating an official motorcade.
  • Use of seat belts is mandatory, as are helmets for motorcyclists.
  • A child's seat is not mandatory by law but is recommended.
  • It is illegal to use a cell phone while driving and the minimum fine if caught is equivalent to $60.
  • The speed limit in Lusaka is 30 mph/50 km and 60 mph/100 km outside of city limits, unless otherwise indicated.
  • If you are stopped by police and asked to pay a fine, you should obtain an official receipt or be directed to the nearest police station where you can make payment.
  • Drivers under the influence of alcohol who are involved in accidents are tested at Lusaka's University Teaching Hospital (UTH) and then taken to court.

Public Transportation: City traffic is comprised mostly of cars and minibuses; motorcycles are rare. Some relatively nice buses travel between Lusaka and Livingstone and the Copperbelt. Minibuses serve as the primary means of intra-city travel in Zambia but are often overcrowded, poorly maintained, and seldom punctual.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight:

As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Zambia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Zambia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Lusaka

Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga District
Ibex Hill Road
Lusaka, Zambia
Telephone: +(260) 211-357-000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(260) 211-357-000 or +(260) 966-877-805
Fax: (+260) (0) 211-357-224

General Information

For information concerning travel to Zambia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Zambia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.



Hague Abduction Convention

Zambia is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Zambia and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Zambia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, Floor 9
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax:  202-736-9132
Email: AskCI@state.gov

Parental child abduction is not considered a crime in Zambia.


Child protection falls under a number of Zambian offices and agencies, such as the Department of Social Welfare, the Zambian Police’s Child Protection units, and the Victim Support Unit. 

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Zambia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy in Zambia for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Zambia are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Lusaka, Zambia posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Parties are generally required to attempt some kind of voluntary resolution prior to the court deciding a custody case, either informally through a third party or formally through the courts.  

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information
enter text here
Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 12 Months
B-1 None Multiple 36 Months
B-2 None Multiple 36 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 36 Months
C-1 None Multiple 12 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 12 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 12 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 12 Months
G-4 None Multiple 12 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 12 Months
H-1B $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A $300.00 A N/A N/A 3
H-2B $300.00 A N/A N/A 3
H-2R $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 12 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 12 Months
N-9 None Multiple 12 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 $300.00 A Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 $300.00 A Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificate

Available. Registration of birth is compulsory. Birth certificates are available to any applicant born on or after January 1, 1973, and can be obtained by the applicant applying to the Registrar General of Births, Deaths and Marriages, P.O. Box 32311, Lusaka. If a birth certificate was not issued at birth, but a hospital record of birth or baptismal certificate was obtained, an affidavit must be prepared by a member of the applicant's family having knowledge of the birth. The affidavit must be sworn to before an officer authorized to administer oaths. The hospital or baptismal certificate must be attached to the affidavit, and submitted to the Registrar General requesting issuance of a late birth certificate.

Death/Burial Certificate

Available. Can be obtained by writing to:

The Registrar General of Deaths, Births and Marriages
P.O. Box 32311

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificate

Marriages can either be contracted under civil law or under customary law. For marriages contracted under civil law, certificates are issued by the Registrar of Marriages. The Registrar can be contacted by writing to:

The Registrar General of Deaths, Births and Marriages
P.O. Box 32311

Under customary law, marriages are contracted by payment of the bride price (lobola). These marriages are not registered. The parties involved may elect to have their marriages registered with one of the 600 local courts which in turn will issue a marriage certificate. The appearance of such a marriage certificate differs with that issued by the Registrar of Marriages.

Divorce Certificate

Only the High Court can dissolve marriages contracted under civil law, upon which a divorce certificate is issued. These are obtained by writing to the following addresses depending on where in Zambia the divorce took place.

Registrar of High Court
P.O. Box 50067
Lusaka, Zambia

Registrar of High Court
P. O. Box 70004
Ndola, Zambia

Registrar of High Court
P.O. Box 60110
Livingstone, Zambia

Marriages contracted under customary law can either be dissolved by consent of family members or by returning of the bride price, among others. These marriages can also be dissolved by the local courts. There are more than 600 local courts in Zambia three from the main provinces are listed below.

Lusaka Urban Local Court
P. O. Box 31919

Kitwe Provincial Local Courts Office
P. O. Box 22042

Livingstone Provincial Local Courts Office
P. O. Box 60691

Adoption Certificates


Identity Card


Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Centralized criminal records covering Zambia are maintained at Police Headquarters, Criminal Investigation Department, P.O. Box Ridgeway l04, Lusaka, Zambia. The Zambian Police issue certificates for any resident or former resident of Zambia which states whether or not a criminal record exists. If a record exists, it will give the particulars of the offense. The Republic of Zambia Police requires a complete set of fingerprints in order to issue the clearance certificate. The applicant should be fingerprinted by the police officer in the country of residence. The fingerprint form must be signed by the police officer and must bear the stamp of the local police. The applicant or the local police should then send the fingerprints to the Criminal Investigation Department with a written request that the police certificate be issued. Payment should be a bank draft made payable to the Zambia Police, Criminal Investigation Department, P.O. Box RW 104, Lusaka, Zambia.

The fees are as follows:

Non-citizen former residents: $150.00
Non-citizen residents: $100.00
Non-resident citizens: $100.00
Resident citizens: $25.00

The turnaround time for fingerprint processing is 7 working days. For any questions contact the CID section at the following telephone numbers: +260-211-252872, +260-211-253545, +260-211-253161, ext 259.

Prison Records


Military Records

Available. A certificate of discharge from the Zambian Army or Zambian Air Force, or a clearance certificate from the Zambian National Service, is obtainable. The application should specify the appropriate branch of service, and mailed to the following address:

Zambia National Defense Headquarters,
Arakan Barracks
P.O. Box l93l
Lusaka, Zambia

Passports & Other Travel Documents


Other Records

Not applicable

Visa Issuing Posts

Lusaka, Zambia (Embassy)

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Zambia.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 265-0123 (202) 265-0757 (202) 332-0826

New York, NY (212 )888-5770 (212) 888-5213

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Lusaka
Subdivision694/Stand 100 Kabulonga
Ibex Hill Road
Lusaka, Zambia
+(260) 211-357-000
+(260) 211-357-000 or +(260) 966-877-805
(+260) (0) 211-357-224
Zambia Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.