Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Swaziland Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Swaziland - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Swaziland. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Swaziland:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Kingdom of Swaziland
Quick Facts

Six months


Two minimum


No, if staying 30 days or less


Yellow fever, if entering from a yellow fever country





Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Mbabane

Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre Drive PO Box D202
The Gables H106, Swaziland
Telephone: 268 2417 9000
Emergency after-hours telephone: 268-7602-8414
Facsimile: 268-2416 3344

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Swaziland for information on U.S. - Swaziland relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

A passport is required. Visas are not required for travelers staying less than 30 days. Travelers visiting Swaziland generally enter through South Africa.

Please note: Travelers to/through South Africa should have at least two unstamped visa pages in their passports upon each entry into the country. Visitors who do not have two blank visa pages risk being denied entry and returned to the United States at their own expense. Also, South Africa has recently passed new legislation requiring additional documentation for children traveling to or transiting the country. If arriving to South Africa from a yellow fever country, you must have proof of a yellow fever vaccination. See South Africa’s Country Specific Information for details.

Contact the Embassy of the Kingdom of Swaziland at 1712 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20009; phone (202) 234-5002, for the most current visa information

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Swaziland.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Public protests, demonstrations, and strikes occur from time to time in Swaziland, mostly in response to on-going labor relations/difficulties. Armed law enforcement personnel have been known to use force to disrupt or control such events. During the course of such events, police may or may not distinguish between “innocent bystanders” and protesters. You should avoid crowds, political rallies, and street demonstrations.

CRIME: Incidents of petty crime and violent crime are prevalent throughout Swaziland and is the most significant threat to U.S. citizens. Criminals will resort to force, including deadly force, in order to accomplish their goal. Gangs are not deterred by confrontations with their intended victims. Carjackings may become violent if victims do not immediately cooperate.

Take Precautions:

  • Congested, urban areas are particularly dangerous at night. Exercise caution at all times.
  • Do not to wear jewelry or carry expensive or unnecessary valuables in public.
  • Do not display cell phones and large sums of cash.
  • Convert currency at authorized currency exchanges; never with street vendors.
  • Never store or leave items of value in your vehicle.
  • Exercise caution when using local taxis.
  • Ensure the taxi you use is from a reputable company.
  • Never enter a taxi that is occupied by anyone besides the driver.
  • Call a friend to let them know the plate number of the taxi you are using.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

Report crimes to the local police at 999 and contact the U.S. Embassy at 268-2417 9000

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

The Monarchy: There are special laws related to sedition against the monarchy in Swaziland. U.S. citizens should be aware of these laws and abide by them while in Swaziland.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.


Photography: It is illegal to photograph Swaziland’s government buildings, members of the Swazi armed forces, royal residences, and official ceremonies without prior permission from government authorities.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: While colonial-era legislation against sodomy remains on the books, no penalties are specified, and there have been no arrests. The government of Swaziland denounces same-sex relationships and acts as illegal but have not prosecuted any cases. Societal discrimination against LGBTI persons is prevalent, and LGBTI persons generally conceal their sexual orientation and gender identity. See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: No laws mandate accessibility to buildings, transportation (including air travel), information, communications, or public services. Government buildings under construction may have some improvements for persons with disabilities, including access ramps. Public transportation is not easily accessible for persons with disabilities, and the government has not provided any means of alternative accessible transport. There are no programs in place to promote the rights of persons with disabilities.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Medical facilities are limited throughout Swaziland and emergency medical response capabilities (including ambulance transport) are almost non-existent. The Mbabane Clinic in the capital is small but it is well-equipped and well-staffed for minor procedures, as is the Manzini Clinic in Matsapha. For advanced care, U.S. citizens often choose to go to South Africa where better facilities and specialists exist. Most prescription drugs are available locally or can be imported from South Africa. Travelers are advised to bring sufficient quantities of their required medications in their original bottles.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medications, check with the government of Swaziland to ensure the medications are legal in Swaziland. Always, carry your prescription medications in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Traffic accidents in Swaziland may pose an even greater hazard than crime. You should use extreme caution when driving, given the high rates of speed on major thoroughfares. Other hazards include poor lighting and irregular traffic signals; presence of pedestrians, animals, and slower moving vehicles; aggressive driving behavior; and erratic stopping for pedestrians and animals. Exercise caution when driving at night and in fog, especially in rural areas. Rural and suburban areas are poorly lit and pose additional safety hazards, such as pedestrians and animals crossing the road. Many vehicles are poorly maintained and may lack working headlights.

Traffic Laws: Cars travel on the left in Swaziland, which requires U.S. drivers to exercise particular caution. Always carry your driver’s license as failure to do so will result in a fine. Cell phone use while driving is illegal in Swaziland.

The Royal Swaziland Police Service sets up periodic road blocks and uses radar to monitor speed. If you are pulled over for a moving violation you are responsible for the consequences.

Public Transportation: Extreme caution is recommended if using mini-bus taxis, locally known as khumbis, which follow fixed routes and are flagged down by passengers almost everywhere in Swaziland. Many of these vehicles fail to meet minimal safety standards. Drivers frequently overload the vehicles and travel at excessive speeds. Fatal accidents involving these conveyances are very common.

See our Road Safety page for more information. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Swaziland, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Swaziland’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Mbabane

Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre Drive PO Box D202
The Gables H106, Swaziland
Telephone: 268 2417 9000
Emergency after-hours telephone: 268-7602-8414
Facsimile: 268-2416 3344

General Information

For information concerning travel to Swaziland, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Swaziland. 

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Swaziland is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Swaziland and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Swaziland and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.


Contact information:

Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Parental child abduction is considered a crime in Swaziland.


Child protection falls under a number of Swaziland offices and agencies, such as the Department of Social Welfare, the Swaziland Police’s Child Protection units, and the Victim Support Unit.

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.




Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Swaziland and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.  Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy in Swaziland for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy in Swaziland are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Mbabane, Swaziland posts a list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


We are not aware of any governmental or non-governmental entities that provide mediation services.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Kingdom of Swaziland is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Convention countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of the Kingdom of Swaziland. 

The Convention entered into force for the Kingdom of Swaziland on July 1, 2013. The Government of the Kingdom of Swaziland announced in June 2013 that it plans to continue the existing suspension on all new intercountry adoptions while it focuses on taking the steps necessary to fully implement the Convention. The Government of the Kingdom of Swaziland has not informed the U.S. Embassy in Mbabane of an expected end date to the suspension.

Transition cases may be completed under the previous “orphan” process. Transition cases are defined as those in which a prospective adoptive parent filed a Form I-600A with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services identifying the Kingdom of Swaziland as the country of origin, filed a Form I-600, or completed the adoption in the Kingdom of Swaziland prior to July 1, 2013.

We caution adoption service providers and prospective adoptive parents that intercountry adoptions between the United States and the Kingdom of Swaziland will not resume until Swaziland lifts its suspension and the Department of State determines that intercountry adoptions from the Kingdom of Swaziland comply with the Convention. Adoption service providers should not advertise adoption programs in the Kingdom of Swaziland until the Department of State notifies them that the Government of the Kingdom of Swaziland has lifted its temporary suspension of intercountry adoptions and that its procedures meet the requirements of the Convention.

The Department of State will provide updated information on as it becomes available. Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to the Kingdom of Swaziland and the U.S. Embassy in Mbabane’s website for information on consular services.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Kingdom of Swaziland’s Adoption Authority
Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
Department of Social Welfare
Gwamile Street, Mbabane
Tel: (268) 2404-2723/4
Fax:  (268) 2404-3770

U.S. Embassy in Mbabane, Kingdom of Swaziland
Physical Address: Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre Drive, Ezulwini, Swaziland
Mail: P.O. Box D202, The Gables H105, Swaziland
Tel: (268) 2417-9000
Fax: (268) 2416-3344

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth and Death Certificates

Available. Issued by the Registrar General's Office, P.O. Box 460, Mbabane. If the applicant provides the exact date of the requested document there is no search fee. Records are available from 1927 to present.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Issued by the Registrar General's Office, P.O. Box 460, Mbabane. If the applicant provides the exact date of the requested document there is no search fee. Records are available from 1927 to present.

Divorce Certificates

Available. The applicant must apply to the district court in which the divorce decree was issued: Hhohho District, P.O. Box 542, Mbabane; Piggs Peak District, P.O. Box 98, Piggs Peak; Manzini District, P.O. Box 13, Manzini; and Nhlangano District, P.O. Box 99, Nhlangano.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Police clearances are issued by the Commissioner of Police, P.O. Box 48, Mbabane. A set of fingerprints must be included with the request. Arrests will not be shown unless the person was convicted. Records for criminal purposes are kept for 5 years and for identification purposes for 2 years.

Prison Records

Available. Issued by the Commissioner of Prisons, P.O. Box 166, Mbabane. Records include name of prison(s), time spent in prison(s), parole or release date(s), and pardon(s). Records are kept up to 20 years.

Civil Suits and Court Decrees

Civil suits and court decrees are available from the Registrar of the High Court, Box 19, Mbabane, Swaziland.

Citizenship and naturalization records are available from the Chief Immigration Officer, P.O. Box 372, Mbabane. If the applicant is a Swazi female she may be required to show proof that her husband (or father) has given his permission for the information to be released.

Note: Civil records date from 1905. Records prior to that date are mostly held in Pretoria, South Africa with some in Johannesburg or other cities in South Africa.

All records are 30% computerized and are expected to be 50% computerized by 2003. Most records are handwritten and retrieval is difficult. All records are centralized by relevant ministry.

Military Records

Available. Issued by the Army Commander, Umbutfo Swaziland Defense Force (USDF), Private Bag, Nokwane. Records are kept for 2 years.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Mbabane, Swaziland (Embassy) NIVs only

Street Address:
Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre Drive
Ezulwini, Swaziland

Mailing Address:
PO Box D202
The Gables H106

IVs processed at the U.S. Consulate in Johannesburg, South Africa


Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visas for all of Swaziland. Immigrant visa applications for nationals of Swaziland are processed by the U.S. Consulate General in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 234-5002 (202) 234-8254

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Mbabane
Corner of MR103 and Cultural Centre
Drive PO Box D202
The Gables H106, Swaziland
+(268) 2417-9000
+(268) 7602-8414
+(268) 2416-3344
Swaziland Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.