Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Solomon Island Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Solomon Islands - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in the Solomon Islands. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the Country Information page.

If you decide to travel to the Solomon Islands:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Solomon Islands
Solomon Islands
Quick Facts

Must be valid at time of entry


One page per stamp




None required


Currency equivalent to 50,000 SBD or more must declared.


Currency equivalent to 50,000 SBD or more must declared.

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Port Moresby

Courier Service Address: Douglas Street, adjacent to the
Bank of Papua New Guinea,
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Mailing Address: PO Box 1492, Port Moresby, N.C.D. 121, Papua New Guinea
Telephone: +(675) 321-1455
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(675) 7200-9439


U.S. Consular Agent - Honiara
Commonwealth Avenue, Point Cruz
+(677) 23426 or +(677) 98367
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(677) 94731
Fax: +(677) 27429

Destination Description

See the Department of State Fact Sheet for additional information on U.S. – Solomon Islands relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visitor permits for 42 days are granted upon arrival at Henderson International Airport in Honiara, and you may enter any number of times as long as your total time in Solomon Islands stay does not exceed 90 days in a 12-month period. If you arrive on a one-way airline ticket, you must have documentation stating your business, including a work permit if you’re going to work in Solomon Islands. In all cases, you must also have a valid passport, an onward/return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds.

If you plan to arrive or depart on a yacht, apply for a visitor’s permit by visiting the Solomon Island Immigration website.

For more information about entry requirements, please contact the Permanent Mission of Solomon Islands to the United Nations at 800 Second Avenue, Suite 400L, New York, NY 10017-4709; Tel: (212) 599-6192 or 6193 or visit the Permanent Mission of Solomon Islands to the United Nations website. If you anticipate the possibility of transiting or visiting Australia we advise you to obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) for Australia before leaving the United States.

HIV/AIDS Restrictions: Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of the Solomon Islands. According to the Solomon Islands Immigration Act, an immigration officer can bar you from entering the country or deport you if you refuse to submit to an examination by a government medical officer after being required to do so.

Information about dual nationality or the prevention of international child abduction can be found on our website. For further information about customs regulations, please read our Customs Information page.

Safety and Security

Public Safety: Acts of political violence and civil unrest sometimes occur in Solomon Islands and may coincide with Parliamentary sessions and court cases. Civil unrest can also occur at sporting or cultural events that attract large crowds, especially if alcohol is involved.

Crime: Petty theft is common in some parts of Solomon Islands. Criminal activity has increased in the area near the Japanese WWII Memorial and you should not visit the memorial alone. Guided or group tours are generally safer than traveling alone. Landowners may demand money if you enter their land without permission. Home invasions, burglaries, and violent crime typically increase in the months approaching the Christmas holiday season. Yacht-related robberies can occur, usually at night while occupants are asleep. Most criminals are not deterred even when boats are anchored off-shore. 

Victims of Crime: If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime, you should contact the local police and the U.S. embassy in Port Moresby or Consular Agency in Honiara. The local equivalent to the “911” emergency line in Solomon Islands is “999.” Other emergency numbers are “911” for Ambulance and Hospital, “955” for National Disaster, and “988” for Fire.

We can:

  • Replace a stolen passport.
  • Help you find appropriate medical care if you are the victim of violent crimes such as assault or rape.
  • Put you in contact with the appropriate police authorities, and if you want us to, contact family members or friends.
  • Help you understand the local criminal justice process and direct you to local attorneys, although it is important to remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

Please see our information for victims of crime, including possible victim compensation programs in the United States.

Crime: The crime rate in Solomon Islands is low; however, you should still not be complacent regarding your personal safety or protecting your valuables.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. In the Solomon Islands, driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs could land you immediately in jail. 

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Customs: The Solomon Islands' customs authorities enforce strict regulations for importing or exporting firearms and ammunition, sexually explicit material, and certain prescription drugs. Other items may be subject to quarantine regulations or import duty. The Solomon Islands' government prohibits the export of military artifacts from World War II. Contact the Solomon Islands' Mission to the United Nations for specific information regarding customs requirements.

Natural Disasters: The Solomon Islands lie in the South Pacific cyclonic trajectory and are vulnerable to earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, and sudden tidal movements. The Pacific cyclone season extends from November through March. General information about natural disaster preparedness is available from the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

LGBTI Travelers: While same-sex sexual relations are criminalized in Solomon Islands, there are no known incidents of the prosecution, targeting, or harassment of consenting same-sex adults. We recommend that you avoid public displays of affection, which could be categorized by the Solomon Islands penal code as an act of gross indecency, a felony liable to imprisonment for five years. For more detailed information about LGBT rights in Solomon Islands, you may review the State Department’s annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices.  See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of the Department of State's Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Accessibility of buildings, communications and information for persons with disabilities is not mandated. There are no special accommodations for persons with disabilities.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Hospitals and pharmacies in Solomon Islands are very basic and limited to populated areas and religious missions. The nearest reliable medical facilities are in Australia or New Zealand. There is only one hyperbaric recompression chamber in Solomon Islands and medical conditions resulting from diving accidents may require medical evacuation to Australia or New Zealand. Serious medical treatment requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to Australia, New Zealand, or the United States can cost thousands of dollars. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment for health services.

Malaria occurs throughout the year in most areas of Solomon Islands. Outbreaks of dengue fever also occur from. We advise you to boil all drinking water or drink bottled water, and avoid ice cubes and raw and undercooked food. Seek medical advice if you have a fever or are suffering from diarrhea.

Zika Virus: For general information and the latest updates about Zika and steps to prevent mosquito bites and sexual exposure to the virus, please visit the CDC website.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

Always, carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. 

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Traffic in Solomon Islands moves on the left side of the road. Paved roads are found only in and around Honiara. These two-lane paved roads are poorly marked and have many potholes. Roads are not well lit at night. The remaining roads in Solomon Islands are made of coral or gravel or are dirt tracks. Be careful when driving off main roads to avoid trespassing on communal land. If you are involved in a road accident, the law requires you to stop and stay at the scene until the police arrive.

Public Transportation: You should avoid travel by ferry, which can be dangerous due to lack of safety regulations.

See our Road Safety page for more information.

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in the Solomon Islands, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Solomon Islands’ Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards, although Solomon Airlines and the airport are certified locally with ICAO. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel: Mariners planning travel to the Solomon Islands should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts at Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (, and the NGA broadcast warnings website (select “broadcast warnings”).

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
enter text here
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters.
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Port Moresby

Courier Service Address: Douglas Street, adjacent to the
Bank of Papua New Guinea,
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Mailing Address: PO Box 1492, Port Moresby, N.C.D. 121, Papua New Guinea
Telephone: +(675) 321-1455
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(675) 7200-9439


U.S. Consular Agent - Honiara
Commonwealth Avenue, Point Cruz
+(677) 23426 or +(677) 98367
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(677) 94731
Fax: +(677) 27429

General Information
enter link here
Hague Abduction Convention
enter text here
enter text here
enter text here
Retaining an Attorney
enter text here
enter text here

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Solomon Islands is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Following is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of the Solomon Islands, the Social Welfare Division under the Ministry of Health.  The Social Welfare Division oversees all adoptions processes in the Solomon Islands.  U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from the Solomon Islands should contact the Social Welfare Division to inquire about applicable laws and procedures.  There are no U.S. adoption service providers authorized by the Government of the Solomon Islands to provide adoption services in the Solomon Islands.  As of July 14, 2014, federal Hague accreditation standards apply to adoption service providers performing services in non-Hague intercountry adoptions.  For more information see our information on the Intercountry Adoption Universal Accreditation Act.

U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in the Solomon Islands who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact the Social Welfare Division of the Solomon Islands.  See contact information below.

The U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea provides services to U.S. citizens in the Solomon Islands and adjudicates non-immigrant and immigrant visas for Solomon Islanders. 

Please visit the Department of State’s Country Specific Information for more information on travelling to the Solomon Islands and the U.S. Embassy in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea’s website for information on consular services and visas.


Ms. Joan Ahikau
Social Welfare Division
Ministry of Health
P.O. Box 349
Honiara, Solomon Islands

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 3 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 60 Months
V-2 None Multiple 60 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 60 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Generally available. All births occurring at  Central Hospital in the capital city of Honiara, (P.O. Box 349, Honiara, Solomon Islands); Phone (+677) 23600; Fax: (+677) 24243) are issued a Certificate of Live Birth. Births that occur in rural areas can be issued a birth certificate, upon adequate proof of identity, by the Home Affairs office in the Anthony Saro Building in Honiara. If a child has at least one non-national parent, a birth certificate can be obtained from the Registrar General, P.O. Box 404, Honiara, Solomon Islands; Phone: (+677) 20465; Faxes: (+677) 20786 or 22148. This service is not available for children whose parents are both Solomon Island nationals.

Death Certificates

Available if the death occurred in Honiara.   Death certificates are issued by the National Referral Hospital (NRH) in Honiara and signed by the doctor who attended the death or received the body.  If the death occurred outside of the hospital,  relatives can apply and provide proof of  death  to the  medical superintendent  at NRH, who will sign the death certificate.  The NRH general number is (+677) 23600. Alternatively, try +(677) 22812.  Death certificates may not be available if the death occurred on an outer island or rural area.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available for civil marriages from the Provincial Magistrate of the district where the marriage occurred and for religious marriages from the church where the ceremony was performed.  Customary marriages are not registered, although they are recognized as legal in Solomon Islands, if proven that consent between parties was given.

Divorce Certificates

Please check back for update.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update.

Identity Card

Please check back for update.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Applicants should write to the Royal Solomon Islands Police, Criminal Records Office, P.O. Box G1723 Honiara, Solomon Islands; Phone: (+677) 23666. A fee may be charged for this service. The quality of information is sometimes uneven. Outlying stations will forward records to police headquarters, where they are maintained on a manual card index system. There are no reliable alternative methods of background checks.  Payment is required, to be paid at Inland Revenue (+677 22556).  Current fee is SBD$90.  A passport sized photo is also required.  Receipt of payment and photo should be attached to request.  Fingerprinting will be done at the Central Police Station in Honiara.   If the requester is overseas, the fee and photo are still required, and a letter of request must be sent to the Police Criminal  Record Department, P.O. Box G 1723 (+677 23600).   The police may accept emailed photo identity.

Military Records

Not applicable.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

The Immigration Division of the Ministry of Commerce, Employment and Trade issues Certificates of Identity to Solomon Islanders whose passports have been lost or stolen and to foreign nationals whose passports have been lost or stolen in Solomon Islands and who cannot obtain another passport.  In these cases the document is valid only for return travel to the foreign national’s home country and must be surrendered to the immigration official upon entering the home country. This document meets the requirements of section 101(A)(30) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

These documents can be obtained by calling the Immigration Division at (+677) 22179.  Ask for the Passport Section.  You will need to provide:

  • A stamped police report reporting the loss of the passport.
  • A letter from the foreigner  requesting assistance to travel to home country.
  • A statutory declaration by from a Commissioner of Oaths authenticating the person.
  • Completed application form, obtainable at the Immigration Division.
  • Fee payment of SBD$100.00  (approx. $12.00 USD).
  • 2 passport sized photos
Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts
Visa Services

There is no U.S. Embassy in the Solomon Islands. However, American citizens in the Solomon Islands with emergencies or requiring updated security information may contact the U.S. Consular Agent, c/o BJS Agencies on Mendana Avenue in Honiara. Telephone number is (677) 23426, or fax (677) 21027, or e-mail

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

New York, NY (212) 599-6192 (212) 661-8925 (U.N. Mission)

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Port Moresby
Courier Service Address: Douglas Street, adjacent to the Bank of Papua New Guinea,
Port Moresby,
Papua New Guinea
+(675) 321-1455
+(675) 7200-9439
No Fax
Solomon Islands Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.