Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Namibia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Namibia - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Namibia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Namibia:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Republic of Namibia
Quick Facts

Six months


Six pages


Yes, planeside visa available for tourists up to 90 days.


Yellow fever, if traveling from a yellow fever endemic country.


Not applicable


Not applicable

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Windhoek

14 Lossen Street, Ausspannplatz
Windhoek, Namibia

Telephone: +(264)(61) 295-8522

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(264)(85) 686-0853

Fax: +(264)(61) 295-8603

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Namibia for additional information on U.S. – Namibia relations.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Requirements for Entry:

Visas: Tourist visas are available at the port of entry. Other visa types must be obtained before traveling. Visit the Embassy of Namibia's website for the most current visa information. Overseas inquiries should be made at the nearest Namibian Embassy or Consulate.

Upon arrival, check your visa validity before leaving the immigration counter to ensure that the visa stamp is valid for the length of your intended stay (up to 90 days) or transit through Namibia and that immigration officials have given you a correctly dated entry stamp, as this stamp will be checked upon departure. Overstaying the time granted or having an incorrect or missing entry stamp can result in detention, arrest, and fines.

Passports must have at least six months of validity remaining beyond your planned date of departure. At least six completely blank pages are required for entry. If you are traveling with minor children to Namibia via South Africa, be aware that additional documentation is required.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to, or foreign residents of Namibia.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction, and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Off-Road Travel: Namibia has thousands of miles of unpaved roads. Road accidents, particularly on gravel roads, pose the most serious threat to visitors.  Many gravel roads are well-maintained and can provide unaccustomed drivers a false sense of security, with road conditions shifting dramatically in certain areas. See recommendations below on road safety in Namibia. 

Crime: Non-violent crimes of opportunity are the most common incidents reported by foreigners and include pick pocketing, purse snatching, ATM card skimming, and vehicle thefts and break-ins. Criminals sometimes brandish knives and guns. Violent crimes, including murder and rape, and property crimes increased in Windhoek over last year. Robberies occur at roadside rest stops. 

  • Dress conservatively.
  • Avoid walking alone, especially after dark, and displaying cash and valuable personal property.
  • Make sure your hotel room or residence is well secured, including windows.
  • Keep your credit card in your sight at all times while it is being processed. Consider using prepaid credit cards with limited funds when traveling.
  • Take rest breaks in towns and/or at gasoline stations.

Transport crimes: Violent assaults on taxi passengers are common; petty theft is prevalent and occurs on trains, buses, and taxis.

  • Be aware of criminals using remote key fobs to unlock vehicle doors in parking lots.
  • Drive with doors locked and windows closed.
  • Keep valuables out of sight and do not use cell phones or laptops while stopped in traffic; bandits may use smash and grab tactics to steal valuables.
  • Hire taxis through a hotel or retain the services of a reputable private transport company.

Checkpoints: The police maintain checkpoints approximately 9 miles (15 km) outside of main cities and all major highways. During the holiday season, additional checkpoints may be established along the Windhoek-Swakopmund highway (B1).

  • Remain inside your vehicle with doors locked and open the window slightly to communicate.
  • Be prepared to produce vehicle registration documents, personal identification (passport, Namibian identification cards), car rental contracts, and/or drivers’ licenses.
  • Proceed only when waved through.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime: Report crimes to the local police at 112 and contact the U.S. Embassy at + (264) (61) 295-8522.Tourist Protection Units (TPUs) assist tourists victimized by crime in Windhoek and Swakopmund.

Please contact:

  • Tourist Protection Unit – Windhoek (Windhoek Main Police Station) at 061-209-4345
  • Tourist Protection Unit – Swakopmund at 064-405-558
  • The Motor Vehicle Accident Fund at 081 9682 can help with ambulances, police, and tows. 

Local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the United States, regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Diamonds: Do not purchase diamonds and other protected resources outside of licensed retail establishments. If you are convicted of illegally dealing in diamonds, you can face up to $20,000 in fines and/or five years in prison. 

Wild animal parts: Unlicensed purchase of or trading in endangered wildlife parts, such as ivory and rhino horn, is illegal and carries severe penalties. Furthermore, it is illegal to kill or capture any protected wild animals without appropriate permits.  The Namibian government is in the process of dramatically increasing sentences for persons convicted of poaching and trafficking in wildlife parts.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Photography: It is illegal to take pictures of government buildings, military installations, and key infrastructure, such as ports, train stations, and airports and along border areas. You could be fined, have your photographic equipment confiscated, and risk detention and arrest. Do not take photos of people without their permission.

Phone Service: Cellular phones are the norm, as landlines are only in urban areas. It is possible to purchase a SIM card locally and use a U.S.-compatible cell phone.

Currency: The Namibian dollar (NAD) is the official currency. It is pegged to the South African rand, which is also legal tender in Namibia. Carefully inspect ATMs before using for skimming technology. Credit cards are generally accepted.

Wild Animal Parks: Heed all instructions given by guides or trackers. Use common sense and maintain a safe distance when approaching wildlife. Even in the most serene settings wild animals pose a lethal threat. Lions, elephants, oryxes, and rhinos have critically injured and killed individuals in the region.

Baboons live throughout Namibia and commonly scavenge the belongings of travelers. Baboons in camping areas are quite bold in approaching and taking items that interest them. Keep your belongings and food in secure containers.

Adventure activities: Climbing areas, 4X4 trails, hiking trails, and rivers are unpredictable and dangerous. They are often located in isolated areas without access to communications and away from any medical assistance. Dozens of people, including U.S. citizens, have been injured or drowned.

  • Leave a copy of your identification, travel documents, and an itinerary with the hotel reception desk when you go on excursions to assist the coast guard and police/rescue teams in the event of a problem.
  • Bring sufficient water and supplies, including a satellite phone preprogrammed with emergency numbers.
  • Provide a detailed travel plan and return date to family and friends in the United States before your excursion.

Faith-Based Travelers:  See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers:  Homosexuality is not illegal but sodomy between men is criminalized, though the ban is not enforced. Many consider all same-sex sexual activity taboo.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our   Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Persons with disabilities face limited access to transportation, public buildings, hotels, and communication accommodations. There are few sidewalks and no curb-cuts, and most buildings lack elevators.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: Only a small fraction of rape cases are prosecuted and fewer still result in conviction. Gender-based Violence Protection Units intervene in cases of domestic violence, which is widespread. Units are staffed with police officers, social workers, legal advisors, and medical personnel trained to assist victims of sexual assault. A privately run shelter operates in the Khomas region and there are government shelters in other regions.

See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Consult the CDC website for Namibia prior to travel.

Medical facilities in the capital of Windhoek and in large towns are capable of providing emergency care and performing many routine procedures. Doctors and dentists are generally well-trained. Well-equipped facilities are rarely available in smaller towns. Carry prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription. Be sure to verify with the Namibian Ministry of Foreign Affairs that your medications are legal before you travel.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas. 

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.   See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance (our webpage) to cover medical evacuation.

The following diseases are prevalent:

  • Malaria (in the Caprivi area from Rundu to Katima Mulilo)


Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: Most major roads are generally well maintained, though many rural roads are gravel and fatal accidents are not uncommon. Tourists are often involved in single-vehicle accidents. Sand, salt, and gravel roads become very slippery when wet and more dangerous at night. Animals easily visible by day become treacherous hazards in roadways at night.  Do not exceed 45 mph (80km) on gravel roads. Many rental vehicle agencies void insurance policies if an accident occurs while speeding. Tire punctures are not unusual. Accidents involving drunk drivers are common. Other driving hazards include excessive speed, lack of street lighting and shoulders, inadequately maintained vehicles, erratic driving habits, and pedestrians.

The Embassy does not recommend traveling after dark anywhere outside Namibia’s cities, and travel in desert areas or via the Trans-Caprivi Highway between Rundu and Katima Mulilo should only be undertaken during daylight hours. Carry water, additional fuel, spare tires, and provisions. Fuel availability can be sporadic. Professional roadside assistance outside Windhoek or off main roads is unreliable or non-existent.

Traffic Laws: Traffic drives on the left. You may use a U.S. license for up to 90 days or obtain an international driving permit prior to leaving the United States through either the American Automobile Association or the American Automobile Touring Alliance. It is illegal to use a cell phone while driving. Seat belts are required for all vehicle occupants. Motorcyclists are required to wear protective helmets. You may face a charge of culpable homicide if you are driving and are involved in an accident resulting in death.

Motorcades: Pull to the side of the road as far as possible and promptly follow instructions given by the officials present.

Public Transportation: Public transportation is not widely available outside the capital. Taxis and municipal buses are the only forms of public transportation in Windhoek. Schedules and routes are limited.

Avoid the use of public transportation, and hire private transport from a reliable source. Any form of public transportation is unregulated, unreliable, and generally unsafe.

Taxis: The Embassy has received reports of foreign citizens being robbed by drivers of taxis hailed on the streets of Windhoek. Car rentals or radio taxis (taxi service called in advance through established companies) are generally the best means of transport but may be expensive. The Embassy has not received any such reports regarding radio taxis. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid hitchhiking in Namibia due to the high level of personal risk.

Most insurance policies will not cover accidents that do not involve other vehicles or animals.

See our Road Safety page for more information. Visit the website of Namibia’s national tourist office and national authority responsible for road safety.

Aviation Safety Oversight:

As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Namibia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Namibia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Maritime Travel:

Mariners planning travel to Namibia should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts.  Information may also be posted to the  U.S. Coast Guard homeport website (, and the NGA broadcast warnings website select “broadcast warnings”.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Windhoek

14 Lossen Street, Ausspannplatz
Windhoek, Namibia

Telephone: +(264)(61) 295-8522

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(264)(85) 686-0853

Fax: +(264)(61) 295-8603

General Information

For information concerning travel to Namibia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Namibia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

Namibia is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Namibia and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Namibia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 


The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction.  For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under The Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child.  The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State 
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor 
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444

Namibia does not have a criminal codes.  Most of Namibia’s crimes are common law crimes with penalties in the court’s discretion. 

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court.  Please see Possible Solutions - Pressing Criminal Charges for more information.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Namibia and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Namibia for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Namibia are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Windhoek, Namibia posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law. 

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Namibian government provides mediation services and there are some private agencies that offer mediation services for civil disputes. Based on Namibia’s High Court rules, certain civil matters must go to mediation before they can go on trial.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Both adoptions to the United States from Namibia and from the United States to Namibia are possible.
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information
enter text here
Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information
enter text here

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 36 Months
A-2 None Multiple 36 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 24 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 24 Months
C-2 None Multiple 24 Months
C-3 None Multiple 24 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 24 Months
E-1 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2 2 No Treaty N/A N/A
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 24 Months
F-2 None Multiple 24 Months
G-1 None Multiple 36 Months
G-2 None Multiple 36 Months
G-3 None Multiple 36 Months
G-4 None Multiple 36 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 24 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 24 Months 3
H-2A None N/A N/A 3
H-2B None N/A N/A 3
H-2R None Multiple 24 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 24 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 24 Months 3
I None Multiple 24 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 24 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 24 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 24 Months
L-2 None Multiple 24 Months
M-1 None Multiple 24 Months
M-2 None Multiple 24 Months
N-8 None Multiple 24 Months
N-9 None Multiple 24 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 24 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 24 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 24 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 24 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 24 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 24 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 24 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 24 Months
R-2 None Multiple 24 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates

Available. Make request to the Namibian Ministry of Home Affairs in Katutura, Windhoek.

Death Certificates

Available from the Namibian Ministry of Home Affairs in Windhoek.

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available. Make request to the Namibian Ministry of Home Affairs in Windhoek.

Divorce Certificates

Available. Make request to the Office of the Registrar, Room 34, High Court of Namibia. A fee may be charged for this service.

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update. 

Identity Card

All Namibian citizens should carry an ID card. It contains a thirteen number ID of which the first six indicate the holder's birthday.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

Available. Applicants for police certificates may submit fingerprints at police stations throughout the country. Police stations forward fingerprints to the Namibian Police Criminal Record Center (NPCRC) in Windhoek for processing. It takes three to five weeks for NPCRC to complete the check and mail a certificate back to the police. The clearance is entirely manual. NPCRC cross-indexes by fingerprint and name. Neither NPCRC nor the police purge criminal records.

Court Records

Available. Records of cases heard by the High and Supreme Court is available at the Office of the Registrar. A fee may be charged for this service.

Prison Records

Available. Make request to the Namibian Ministry of Home Affairs or the Windhoek Prison's records section.

Military Records

Available. For those who served in the South African Permanent Armed Forces before Namibian independence on March 21, 1990, records may be obtained from the military headquarters in Pretoria, South Africa. Those who served in the Namibian Territory Force and/or are presently members of the Namibian Defense Force, records may be obtained from the Ministry of Defense in Windhoek.

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Passports are issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of the Republic of Namibia, and are valid for a period of five years. The passport is green (or brown) in color with the Namibian Coat of Arms appearing on the front, and the photo page is laminated. All particulars of the passport holder are written in black ink

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Windhoek, Namibia (Embassy) -- Nonimmigrant Visas

Street Address:
4 Lossen Street
Ausspannplatz, Windhoek

Mailing Address:
Private Bag 12029
Windhoek, Namibia.

Tel: (264-61) 22-1061

Fax: (264-61) 22-9792

Johannesburg, South Africa (Embassy) -- Immigrant Visas

Visa Services

Nonimmigrant visas for all of Namibia. IV applications for nationals of Namibia are processed by the American Consulate General Johannesburg, South Africa.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 986-0540 (202) 986-0443

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Windhoek
14 Lossen Street, Ausspannplatz
Windhoek, Namibia
+(264)(61) 295-8522
+(264)(81) 127-4384
+(264)(61) 295-8603
Namibia Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.