Travel Advisories


Travel Advisories

Macedonia Travel Advisory

Travel Advisory
January 10, 2018
Macedonia - Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions

Exercise normal precautions in Macedonia. 

Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.

If you decide to travel to Macedonia:

Travel Advisory Levels
1 Exercise normal precautions, 2 Exercise increased caution, 3 Reconsider travel, 4 Do not travel

Quick Facts

Six months beyond your planned stay recommended


One page required for entry stamp


Not for stays less than 90 days within a six month period




10,000 Euros or equivalent must be declared


10,000 Euros or equivalent must be declared

Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Skopje

Samoilova 21
1000 Skopje
Republic of Macedonia

Telephone: +(389) (2) 310-2000

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(389) (2) 310-2000

Fax: +(389) (2) 310-2299

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Macedonia for information on U.S.–Macedonia relations. 

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Visit the Embassy of Macedonia website for the most current visa information.

  • You need a valid U.S. passport for travel to Macedonia.
  • You do not need a visa for tourist or business trips of less than 90 days within a six month period.
  • If you plan to work, study, or stay longer than 90 days in Macedonia, you must obtain an entry visa before traveling to Macedonia.
  • Border police strictly enforce the 90 day limit. You may face delayed departure, a court hearing with a substantial fine, or be barred from entering Macedonia if you exceed 90 days.
  • You cannot adjust from tourist status to long-term status within Macedonia. To adjust status, you must leave Macedonia and apply for a long-term visa at a Macedonian embassy or consulate.
  • Macedonia requires all foreign citizens to provide proof of travel medical insurance when they enter the country.
  • All foreign citizens must register with local police within 48 hours of arrival.
    • Hotels register foreign guests.
    • If you are not staying in a hotel, register in person (take the owner or landlord of the residence with you) at the police station nearest to where you’re staying.
    • If you change addresses while in Macedonia, notify the police station where you initially registered and re-register with the police station closest to your new address.
  • To enter and stay in Macedonia, unaccompanied U.S. citizen minors should have a notarized statement of consent from a parent or guardian certified by a competent authority in the country from which the child arrives, or by a Macedonian embassy or consulate.
  • You should carry a copy of your passport or another photo ID at all times; local authorities can request your identification. You must carry your residence permit at all times.
  • U.S. citizens born in Macedonia are advised to read the Greece Country Specific Information if they plan to travel to Greece.
  • Dual U.S.-Macedonian citizens who have stayed outside of Macedonia for more than three months should either report to the Macedonian embassy or consulate nearest their location before returning to Macedonia, or report to the nearest police station after entering Macedonia. Failure to notify may delay your departure from Macedonia.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Macedonia.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorists successfully carried out attacks in Europe in 2015, 2016, and 2017. Credible information indicates terrorist groups continue to plot possible attacks in Europe. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational organizations.

Protest activity in Macedonia sometimes results in violent incidents. Public protests, demonstrations, and strikes occur sporadically, and often result in disruptions, particularly near the center of Skopje. Information about demonstrations in Macedonia can be found on the embassy’s security and emergency messages for U.S. citizens webpage.

  • You should avoid demonstration areas and exercise caution if traveling near demonstrations.
  • Monitor local media coverage of events
  • Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
  • Follow the instructions of Macedonian authorities.

Crime: Violent crime against U.S. citizens is rare. Theft and other petty street crimes do occur, particularly in areas where tourists and foreigners congregate.

  • Do not leave anything of value in plain view in unattended vehicles.
  • Securely lock the windows and doors of your residence when not at home.
  • Organized crime is present in Macedonia, and violent confrontations between rival organizations occasionally results.
  • ATM use is generally safe; however, take standard safety precautions and be aware of your surroundings.
  • Pickpockets are a problem in crowded areas of Skopje. You should:
    • Be aware of your belongings and surroundings at all times.
    • Know that pickpockets use various diversionary tactics to distract victims, including groups of children swarming the victim.
    • If pickpocketed, report the crime to the police.
      • Cancel your credit cards as quickly as possible.
  • Taxis are generally safe. Use metered taxis to avoid conflicts about the fare.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault should first contact the U.S. Embassy.

Report crimes to the local police at 192 (ambulance: 194) and contact the U.S. Embassy at (389) (2) 310-2000.

Remember that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical
  • support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

Domestic Violence: U.S. citizen victims of domestic violence may contact the Embassy for assistance.

For further information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties:  You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. If you break laws in Macedonia, your U.S. passport will not help you avoid arrest or prosecution.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

  • Macedonian customs authorities enforce strict regulations that require special licenses or permits for the exportation of items deemed to be of historical value or significance. Taking such items out of Macedonia without the appropriate government-issued permit can result in arrest, monetary fines, and prison sentences. The Macedonian Customs Administration provides more information on customs regulations.
  • Taking photographs of anything that could be perceived as having military or security interest may result in problems with authorities. Visitors should comply with “no photography” signs. If you are in doubt, ask for permission before taking photographs.
  • Larger stores and restaurants accept credit cards, but we recommend having cash in local currency (denar) for purchases in small establishments.
  • Failure to declare currency exceeding 10,000 euros, or the equivalent, may result in its confiscation and a court proceeding. Penalties typically include a fine and a percentage of the undeclared amount.

Faith-Based Travelers: See our following webpages for details:

LGBTI Travelers: There are no legal restrictions on same-sex sexual relations or the organization of LGBTI events in Macedonia. Vandals attacked a LGBTI center several times in the last four years, and masked individuals attacked persons attending a LGBTI event in October 2014 with bottles and stones. We advise exercising caution when attending LGBTI events.

See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: Individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from the United States. Macedonian law requires only that new buildings be accessible to persons with disabilities. Most public buildings are inaccessible and inconsistent inspection results in construction of new facilities that are not accessible. Public transportation for persons with disabilities is very limited.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: See our travel tips for Women Travelers.


Air pollution is a significant problem in some cities. In several cities, including Skopje, Bitola, Kicevo, and Veles, particulate pollution exceeds acceptable norms more than 150 days per year.

Pollutants such as particulates, especially the PM2.5 particles (fine particles in the air with a diameter of 2.5 micrometers or smaller), and ozone contribute to a number of significant health problems.

These effects are likely to be more severe for people with heart or lung disease, children, and older adults.

U.S. citizens traveling to Macedonia may wish to consult their doctor before traveling to cities with significant air pollution.

The Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning provides air quality data for cities and urban regions throughout Macedonia.

Medical care in Macedonia varies in quality by location and provider. Skopje has four private hospitals that offer services ranging from cardiovascular surgery to pediatric intensive care. Quality of care is not equal to U.S. health care. Outside Skopje, medical care is substandard, with the exception of trauma services in Ohrid.

  • Rheumatology, endocrinology, burn, and psychiatric services are either substandard or unavailable to non-citizens throughout the country.
  • A government formulary controls which prescription medications are available; the list does not include several medications available in most Western countries. Insulin is not available to non-citizens.
  • Government-operated emergency services are substandard. Private emergency services in Skopje, operated by private institutions, meet high quality standards.

We do not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most care providers overseas only accept cash payments.  See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

We strongly recommend supplemental insurance to cover medical evacuation.

If traveling with prescription medication, check with the government of Macedonia to ensure the medication is legal in Macedonia. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel and Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: In Macedonia, road conditions differ significantly from those in the United States. Driving safely in Macedonia requires excellent defensive driving skills.

  • Most major highways are in good repair, but many secondary urban and rural roads are not maintained and are poorly lit. Secondary mountain roads may be narrow, poorly marked, and lack guardrails.
  • Many vehicles are old and lack front or rear lights.
  • Horse-drawn carts, livestock, dead animals, rocks, or other objects are sometimes in the roadway.
  • Roadside emergency services are limited.
  • In case of emergency, drivers may call the police at 192, the Ambulance Service at 194, and Roadside Assistance at 196.
  • Pedestrians should be very cautious when crossing streets, even when using crosswalks, as local drivers often do not slow down or stop for pedestrians.
  • Driving at night in rural mountainous areas is inadvisable due to poor or nonexistent lighting.

Traffic Laws:  U.S. citizens need a valid U.S. driver’s license and an International Driving Permit (available in the United States only) to drive in Macedonia.

  • Drivers and passengers should always wear seat belts.
  • Many local drivers routinely ignore speed limits and other traffic rules, such as stopping for red lights and stop signs.
  • Drivers often make illegal left turns from the far right lane, or drive into oncoming lanes of traffic.
  • Using a cell phone while driving is illegal.

Public Transportation: Public transportation in Macedonia is dilapidated. Taxis are generally safe.

For more information, please visit our Road Safety page. 

Aviation Safety Oversight: As there is no direct commercial air service to the United States by carriers registered in Macedonia, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has not assessed the government of Macedonia’s Civil Aviation Authority for compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

Hague Convention Participation
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention?
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention?
What You Can Do
Learn how to respond to abductions FROM the US
Learn how to respond to abductions TO the US
Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Skopje

Samoilova 21
1000 Skopje
Republic of Macedonia

Telephone: +(389) (2) 310-2000

Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(389) (2) 310-2000

Fax: +(389) (2) 310-2299

General Information

Macedonia and the United States have been treaty partners under the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention) since December 1, 1991.

For information concerning travel to Macedonia, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Macedonia.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.

Hague Abduction Convention

The U.S. Department of State serves as the U.S. Central Authority (USCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention.  In this capacity, the Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues facilitates the submission of applications under the Hague Abduction Convention for the return of, or access to, children located in countries that are U.S. treaty partners, including Macedonia.  Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the foreign Central Authority.

Contact information:

U.S. Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children's
SA-17, 9th Floor

The Macedonia Central Authority (MCA) for the Hague Abduction Convention is the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy.  The MCA has an administrative role in processing Hague Abduction Convention applications.  In Macedonia, Convention cases in the first instance and first appeal proceedings are reviewed and decided by the Center of Social Work (CSW) within the jurisdiction of the child’s location.  There are 30 inter-municipal Centers of Social Work in Macedonia.  Cases only go to the judiciary if a party appeals to the Supreme Court.  

The MCA can be reached at:

Ministry of Labour and Social Policy
Rue Dame Gruev No 14
Republic of Macedonia
Telephone number: +389 (2) 3106-376
Fax number: +389 (2) 3220-408

To initiate a Hague case for return of, or access to, a child in Macedonia, the USCA encourages a parent or legal guardian to review the eligibility criteria and instructions for completing the Hague application form located at the Department of State website and contact the Department of State for assistance prior to initiating the Hague process directly with the MCA.  All documents must be translated into Macedonian, including the Hague Abduction Convention application.  Please note, however, that certified translations are not necessary.  The USCA is available to answer questions about the Hague application process, to forward a completed application to the MCA, and to subsequently monitor its progress through the foreign administrative process. 

There are no fees for filing Hague applications with either the United States or Macedonia central authorities.  It is not mandatory for a petitioner to retain a private attorney.  Additional costs may include airplane tickets for the return of the child, if so ordered.


A parent or legal guardian may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for return to the United States of a child abducted to, or wrongfully retained in, Macedonia.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand whether the Convention is an available civil remedy and can provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.


A person may file an application under the Hague Abduction Convention for access to a child living in Macedonia.  The criteria for acceptance of a Hague access application vary from country to country.  The U.S. Department of State can assist parents living in the United States to understand country-specific criteria and provide information on the process for submitting a Hague application.

Retaining an Attorney

The MCA does not require parents or legal guardians to retain a private attorney in order to file a Hague Abduction Convention application.  Cases are first heard by an administrative agency. Parents may choose to retain private legal counsel in Macedonia to handle their Hague case. A parent who hires private counsel should notify both the Macedonia and the U.S. central authorities. 

The U.S. Embassy in Skopje, Macedonia, posts a list of attorneys including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


Macedonia is supportive of mediation programs to resolve international parental child abduction cases. While the CSW cannot order cases into mediation, mediation is strongly encouraged.

Exercising Custody Rights

While travelling in a foreign country, you are subject to the laws of that country. It is important for parents to understand that, although a left-behind parent in the United States may have custody or visitation rights pursuant to a U.S. custody order, that order may not be valid and enforceable in the country in which the child is located.  For this reason, we strongly encourage you to speak to a local attorney if planning to remove a child from a foreign country without the consent of the other parent.  Attempts to remove your child to the United States may:

  • Endanger your child and others;
  • Prejudice any future judicial efforts; and
  • Could result in your arrest and imprisonment.

The U.S. government cannot interfere with another country’s court or law enforcement system.

To understand the legal effect of a U.S. order in a foreign country, a parent should consult with a local attorney in the country in which the child is located.  

For information about hiring an attorney abroad, see our section on Retaining a Foreign Attorney. 

Although we cannot recommend an attorney to you, most U.S. Embassies have lists of attorneys available online. Please visit the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for a full listing.

For more information on consular assistance for U.S. citizens arrested abroad, please see our website.

Country officers are available to speak with you Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends, or federal holidays, please call toll free at 1-888-407-4747. See all contact information.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this flyer is provided for general information only, is not intended to be legal advice, and may change without notice. Questions involving interpretation of law should be addressed to an attorney licensed in the relevant jurisdiction. 


Hague Convention Participation
Hague Adoption Convention Country?
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

The Republic of Macedonia is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of Macedonia.

Adoptions from Macedonia are rare.  No adoptions by U.S. citizen parents have taken place since 2007.

Below is the limited adoption information that the Department has obtained from the adoption authority of Macedonia.  U.S. citizens interested in adopting children from Macedonia should contact the Central Authority of Macedonia to inquire about applicable laws and procedures.  U.S. citizen prospective adoptive parents living in Macedonia who would like to adopt a child from the United States or from a third country should also contact Macedonia’s Central Authority.  See contact information below.

Please visit the Department’s Country Specific Information for more information on traveling to Macedonia and the U.S. Embassy in Skopje’s website for information on consular services.

Intercountry adoptions involve U.S. consular officers sending a letter (referred to as an “Article 5 Letter”) to the Macedonian Central Authority in any intercountry adoption involving U.S. citizen parents and a child from Macedonia where all Convention requirements are met and the consular officer determines that the child appears eligible to immigrate to the United States.  This letter will inform the Macedonian Central Authority that the parents are eligible and suited to adopt, that all indications are that the child may enter and reside permanently in the United States, and that the U.S. Central Authority agrees that the adoption may proceed.

WARNING:  Do not attempt to adopt or obtain custody of a child in Macedonia before a U.S. consular officer issues the Article 5 Letter in any adoption case.

Remember:  The consular officer will make a final decision about a child’s eligibility for an immigrant visa later in the adoption process.

Who Can Adopt
enter text here
Who Can Be Adopted
enter text here
How to Adopt
enter text here
Traveling Abroad
enter text here
After Adoption
enter text here
Contact Information

Macedonian Adoption Authority
Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs
Dame Gruev Street No. 14
1000 Skopje

Reciprocity Schedule

Select a visa category below to find the visa issuance fee, number of entries, and validity period for visas issued to applicants from this country*/area of authority.

Explanation of Terms

Visa Classification: The type of nonimmigrant visa you are applying for.

Fee: The reciprocity fee, also known as the visa issuance fee, you must pay. This fee is in addition to the nonimmigrant visa application fee (MRV fee).

Number of Entries: The number of times you may seek entry into the United States with that visa. "M" means multiple times. If there is a number, such as "One", you may apply for entry one time with that visa.

Validity Period: This generally means the visa is valid, or can be used, from the date it is issued until the date it expires, for travel with that visa. If your Validity Period is 60 months, your visa will be valid for 60 months from the date it is issued.

Visa Classifications
Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months A
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months A
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 120 Months
B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 120 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months A
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2 2 None Multiple 60 Months
E-2C 12 None Multiple 24 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months A
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months A
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months A
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-1C None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2A None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2B None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-2R None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 None Multiple 60 Months
L-2 None Multiple 60 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 60 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 60 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 15 Months 3
R-1 None Multiple 60 Months
R-2 None Multiple 60 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8
Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes
  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents

Please check back for update

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth, Marriage, and Death Certificates

Available. Birth (Извод од Матична книга на родени), Marriage (Извод од Матична книга на венчани) and Death Certificates, (Извод од Матична книга на умрени) are available from the civil registrar (Матичар) having jurisdiction over the locality where the event occurred. A marriage which took place by proxy is not usually evident from the marriage certificate. Prior to May 10, 1946, these records were maintained by Orthodox Church authorities. Since that date, only civil marriages have been legal. The Orthodox Church continues to issue birth and marriage certificates, but these are not purely ceremonial documents. 

The government of Macedonia defines a marriage as a union between a man and a woman and therefore will not register same-sex marriages. Additionally, a same-sex marriage registered in a country that legally allows same-sex marriage is not considered to be a legal relationship in Macedonia. 

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Statement of Unmarried Status

The civil registrar (Матичар) having jurisdiction over a person's residence will issue a certificate stating that the applicant is or is not married (Уверение за брачна состојба).

Note: Non-residents must apply for these documents through a Macedonian diplomatic mission. They are unlikely to receive a reply if they write directly to the issuing office. Macedonian consular offices throughout the world are supplied with the appropriate forms for obtaining civil documents. The request will be forwarded to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for transmission to the office responsible for the issuance of the required document. The document will then be returned to the applicant via the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Macedonian Diplomatic Mission overseas.

The above procedure can be lengthy. All applicants are encouraged to attempt, at the same time, to obtain the required documents through a family member, friend or lawyer residing in Macedonia, who could apply personally at the office which issues the documents. 

Divorce Certificates

Available. Copies of divorce judgments are available from the municipal court (Основен суд) that decided the case. A divorce certificate is typewritten and headed "In the name of the citizens of the Republic of Macedonia" (Во име на граѓаните на Република Македонија). Since May 10, 1946, only divorces obtained through the civil courts have been legal. Prior to this date, divorces granted by church authorities were also recognized. 

Adoption Certificates

Please check back for update

Identity Card

Available. All ID cards are biometric, as of April 2012. All Macedonian residents age 18 and over must carry an identity card (лична карта) issued by the Ministry of Internal Affairs. Application must be made in the local police station, while processing and production of the biometric ID cards is centralized. The card contains the photograph, date and place of birth, unique ID number for the holder and the address of the bearer. Legal residents of Macedonia are issued cards that can be used as identification documents.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Police Records

No longer available after 31 December 2014.  As of 1 January 2015,  the Court Certificate (Потврда за казнена евиденција) covers the information previously provided by the Police Certificate.

Court Certificates

Available. There are two separate certificates available – a Penal Certificate (Потврда за казнена евиденција) and a Court Certificate (Уверение за неосудуваност).  Both must be requested in order to obtain a complete criminal record history.  Requests must be submitted in person to the Basic Court in the region where the applicant was born.  A third party may request the court certificate on behalf of the applicant with a power of attorney.  The request must include a statement of the purpose for the request.

If an applicant was not born in the Republic of Macedonia, but resided in the country as a Macedonian citizen, his/her records are kept in the Basic Court of the place of residence.  For applicants who are not citizens of Republic of Macedonia, the records are kept in the Basic Court in the municipality where the applicant was registered as a temporary or permanent resident.

If the applicant has a criminal record, the information is provided on Form SD-111. 

The database contains records for misdemeanors and alternative sentence such as fines, bans, or deportations. 

Prison Records

Available. Prison records can be obtained with the Basic Court in the area where the applicant was born. Requests must be submitted in person or by a third party with a Power of Attorney. 

Military Records

Available if applicant served the obligatory conscription service (until 2005). Obligatory military service in Macedonia was discontinued in 2005. A military card (воена книшка) was issued to all persons who have served in the former Yugoslav National Army (until 1991) or in the Macedonian armed forces. Records may also be obtained from the district branch office of the Ministry of Defense (Подрачна единица на МО) having jurisdiction over the individual at the time of service. 

Passports & Other Travel Documents

Please check back for update

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Skopje, Macedonia (Embassy)

Street Address:
Ilindenska bb, 91000

Mailing Address:
U.S. Embassy - Skopje
Department of State
Washington, DC 20521-7120

Tel: (389) (2) 3116-180

Fax: (389) (2) 3213-767

Visa Services

All visa categories for all of Macedonia. Kosovo provides nonimmigrant visas only.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information

Washington, DC (202) 667-0501 (202) 667-2131

Chicago, IL (312) 419-8020 (312) 419-8040

Detroit, MI (248) 354-5537/5356 (248) 354-5538

New York, NY (646) 524-5750 (646) 524-5754

Assistance for U.S. Citizens

U.S. Embassy Skopje
Samoilova 21
1000 Skopje
Republic of Macedonia
+(389) (2) 310-2000
+(389) (2) 310-2000
+(389) (2) 310-2299
Macedonia Map

Search for Travel Advisories
Additional Information for Reciprocity

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.