Exercise increased caution in Guinea due to civil unrest.
Sporadic demonstrations continue to occur across the country. Some have turned violent, resulting in injuries and several fatalities. Demonstrators have also attacked vehicles when drivers attempted to pass through or around the protests.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Guinea:
- Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- Keep travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook and Twitter.
- Review the Crime and Safety Report for Guinea.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.