CSI Repository

CSI Country Catalog


Country Name: Jordan
Official Country Name: Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
Country Code 2-Letters: JO
Country Code 3-Letters: JOR
Street: Al-Umayyaween Street,
Abdoun neighborhood,
Amman 11118 Jordan
Fact sheet: https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/3464.htm
  • International Travel
  • Child Abductions
  • Intercountry Adoptions
  • Consular Notification
  • U.S. Visas
  • Contact
  • Quick Facts
  • Embassies and Consulates
  • Destination Description
  • Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements
  • Safety and Security
  • Local Laws & Special Circumstances
  • Health
  • Travel & Transportation
Embassy Name: U.S. Embassy Amman
Street Address: Al-Umayyaween Street,
Abdoun neighborhood,
Amman 11118
Phone: +(962) (6) 590-6000
Emergency Phone: +(962) (6) 590-6500
Fax: +(962) (6) 592-4102
Email: Amman-ACS@state.gov
Web: https://jo.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/embassy/

Embassy Messages




Country Map

Quick Facts
Passport Validity:

Six months

Blank Passport Pages:

One page required for entry stamp

Tourist Visa Required:

Yes. Jordan issues single-entry visas to U.S. citizens upon arrival at Queen Alia International Airport and most international land border crossings



Currency Restrictions for Entry:

Declaration required if greater than JOD10,000 or the equivalent in other currencies
Currency Restrictions for Exit:


Embassies and Consulates

U.S. Embassy Amman

Al-Umayyaween Street,
Abdoun neighborhood,
Amman 11118
+(962) (6) 590-6000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(962) (6) 590-6500
Fax: +(962) (6) 592-4102

Destination Description

See the Department of State’s Fact Sheet on Jordan for information on U.S.-Jordanian relations. 

Entry, Exit & Visa Requirements

A passport with a validity of at least six months and a visa are required. Jordan issues single-entry visas to U.S. citizens upon arrival at Amman’s Queen Alia International Airport, Sheikh Hussein crossing at the Israeli border, and the three border crossings with Saudi Arabia (Umari, Mudawara and Durra). Multiple entry visas must be obtained in advance of travel.


  • The Jordanian visa issued upon arrival currently costs 40 JD (approximately 56 USD) for a single entry with one month validity.
  • The Embassy of Jordan in Washington D.C. issues multiple-entry visas for 60 JD (approximately 85 USD) for two entries with three months validity, and 120 JD (approximately 170 USD) for a multiple entry with six months validity. .
  • Travelers who enter Jordan on a single entry visa issued upon arrival may go to the Jordanian Ministry of Interior in Amman and apply for multiple entry visas.

Visa Validity:

  • Visas upon arrival for U.S. citizens are typically valid for a 30-day stay.
  • Foreigners who wish to stay longer than the time limit given to them by Jordanian immigration upon entry must register at a Jordanian police station before expiration of that time limit. Travellers are typically, but not always, given a single extension of 60 days.


  • Travelers who fail to properly register subject themselves to a fine of 1.5 JD (approximately 2 USD) per day beyond their permitted length of stay.
  • This fine is usually assessed at departure.
  • Travelers are barred from leaving until they can pay the fine.

King Hussein/Allenby Bridge:

  • Visas are not issued upon arrival at the King Hussein/Allenby Bridge land border crossing.
  • U.S. citizens must have a valid visa to Jordan or have a special entry permit from the Jordanian Ministry of Interior to enter Jordan at this crossing.
  • Diplomatic or official passport holders may enter Jordan at the King Hussein/Allenby Bridge without a visa.
  • U.S. citizens who enter Jordan on a single or multiple entry visa and depart Jordan via the King Hussein/Allenby Bridge may return to Jordan through the same bridge without a new visa as long as the current visa is still valid.
  • An exit fee of 10 JD (approximately 14 USD) is assessed to all visitors departing through the King Hussein/Allenby Bridge, except for diplomats residing in Jordan.

For more information regarding travel to the West Bank and Jerusalem, please contact the U.S. Consulate General in Jerusalem.

HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Jordan. Travelers may be denied entry at ports of entry, including land border crossings, if they are known to have HIV. This policy, however, is rarely enforced and Jordanian authorities do not screen for HIV/AIDS at the border. Jordan does not permit residency for foreign nationals with HIV/AIDS. Travelers seeking to extend their stay beyond the initial timeframe are legally required to have an HIV/AIDS test performed at a government medical facility as part of a general medical screening. Those who fail to submit to the test or who test positive for HIV are denied residency and may be deported. For further information, please see the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan website before you travel.

Travelers should check the Country Specific Information and Travel Advisories for all countries they plan to visit during their travel to the region. Border crossing requirements may change, and borders may be closed during periods of heightened security. For further information, travelers may contact the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at 3504 International Drive NW, Washington, DC 20008, or by telephone at (202) 966-2861 or (202) 966-2664. Jordan also maintains honorary consulates in Detroit, MI, Chicago, IL, and San Francisco, CA.

Find information on dual nationalityprevention of international child abduction and customs regulations on our websites.

Safety and Security

Terrorism and Organized Criminal Activity: The threat of terrorism remains high in Jordan. Transnational and indigenous terrorist groups have demonstrated the capability to plan and implement attacks in Jordan. Violent extremist groups in Syria and Iraq, including the Islamic State of Iraq and ash-Sham (ISIS), and Jabhat al-Nusra, have conducted attacks in Jordan and continue to plot against local security forces, U.S. and Western interests and “soft” targets, such as high-profile public events, hotels, places of worship, restaurants, schools, and malls. Jordan’s prominent role in the defeat ISIS Coalition and its shared borders with Iraq and Syria increase the potential for future terrorist incidents.

  • Travelers to Jordan should be aware that violent extremist groups have carried out terrorist activities against U.S. and Government of Jordan targets in Jordan.
  • Jordanian security services have conducted multiple operations to disrupt terrorist plots and operations.
  • On December 18, 2016, terrorists killed 10 people, including a Canadian tourist and seven Jordanian security and police officers, in Karak, 130 km south of Amman. A shootout between a separate terrorist cell and Jordanian security forces occurred in the same area two days later.
  • On November 4, 2016, a Jordanian soldier killed three U.S. service members outside a Jordanian military base near the city of al-Jafr. Protests and demonstrations took place in al-Jafr and surrounding areas throughout July 2017 after a Jordanian military court issued a guilty verdict against the soldier. As a result, the Embassy temporarily placed several areas of southern Jordan, including parts of a main highway linking Amman the coastal city of Aqaba, off limits for personal and official travel for all U.S. Embassy personnel. The travel restrictions were rescinded on August 6, 2017.
  • U.S. government personnel must have permission for official travel on Highway 10 east of the town of Ruwayshid toward the Iraq border, because of Jordanian military activity, known smuggling routes, and a lack of emergency facilities.
  • U.S. government employees on personal travel are not permitted to visit the border areas or refugee camps, and the Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid both locations.
  • On occasion, the U.S. Embassy temporarily makes other areas within Jordan off limits to its staff based on the security situation.

In general, terrorists often do not distinguish between U.S. government personnel and private U.S. citizens. Terrorists may target areas frequented by Westerners, such as tourist sites, hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, liquor stores, shopping malls, transportation hubs, places of worship, expatriate residential areas, and schools. In light of these security concerns, U.S. citizens should maintain a high level of vigilance:

  • be aware of your surroundings
  • take appropriate steps to increase your security awareness
  • be unpredictable in your movements by varying your times and routes
  • maintain a low profile
  • avoid contact with any suspicious or unfamiliar objects and immediately report the presence of such objects to local authorities

U.S. government personnel overseas have been advised to take the same precautions.

Demonstrations: Demonstrations are common. Some, especially smaller ones, have turned violent, leading security officials to intervene. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can become violent, so travelers should avoid all protests and large gatherings of people. Many demonstrations occur on Fridays near mosques following mid-day prayers. You should exercise special sensitivity and caution when visiting or traveling near mosques and religious sites during holy days and Fridays. Demonstrations and other forms of unrest have occurred on public university campuses in Jordan. Some acts of violence on university campuses have involved the use of firearms. Anti-U.S. demonstrations have also taken place in front of the U.S. Embassy.

Flash Flooding: Certain areas of Jordan, including Petra, the Dead Sea, and other tourist areas, are prone to heavy rain and flash flooding from October-February. Roads and bridges may become impassable and the Jordanian government may close tourist areas completely. The first rains of the season often cause flooding throughout Amman and other cities in Jordan.  It is important to watch the weather reports and heed local recommendations. 

Tribal Violence: Clashes between feuding tribes, clans, or families periodically erupt without notice and sometimes involve violence, including the use of firearms. In some cases, Jordanian security services are slow to respond or may opt to let the violence subside before intervening.

Syria and Iraq Borders: U.S. citizens should avoid the border areas with Syria and Iraq. Police and security officials have arrested weapon and drug smugglers, as well as foreign fighters attempting to enter Syria to fight in the country’s ongoing conflict. Fighting can occur close to the Syrian border, and some munitions have landed within Jordan’s borders. On June 21, 2016, ISIS-perpetrated a car bombing attack against a Jordanian military facility in the country’s northeast, near the border with Syria, killing seven Jordanian soldiers. The Department of State warns against all travel into Syria and Iraq. Please see the Travel Advisories and Country Specific Information for Syria and Iraq for further information.

Crime: Statistically, petty crime is the most common form of crime that U.S. citizens and other Western nationals experience in Jordan, especially at tourist sites and in crowded areas. Pickpockets, purse snatchers, and opportunistic thieves are known to target foreigners in the narrow and crowded streets of the older parts of Amman’s city center. Travelers should be guarded in these areas and in all tourist locations in Jordan. Jordanian police have warned the public to exercise vigilance when leaving banks or ATMs, to reduce likelihood of targeting by thieves.

Thefts of vehicles, assaults, robbery, and attempted residential break-ins have also been reported. Take care not to display valuables in your car or on your person, and be sure to lock car doors and windows.

Violent crime is increasing, but U.S. citizens or other Westerners are rarely targeted. In the past, the Embassy has received reports of firearms being discharged at vehicles being driven by Westerners. Celebratory gunfire is common, especially during major festivals, sporting events, or the biannual release of high school test scores.

Don’t buy counterfeit or pirated goods. Not only are the pirated copies illegal in the United States, if you purchase them, you will also be breaking local law. Most DVDs, CDs, and software available for sale in Jordan are pirated.

See the Department of State and the FBI pages for information on scams.

Victims of Crime:

If you or someone you know becomes the victim of a crime abroad, you should contact the local police. As in the United States, emergency assistance can be reached by dialing 911.

Domestic and Sexual Violence: U.S. citizen victims of sexual assault and domestic violence should contact the local police and the Embassy. Remember, however, that local authorities are responsible for investigating and prosecuting the crime.

See our webpage on help for U.S. victims of crime overseas.

We can:

  • help you find appropriate medical care
  • assist you in reporting a crime to the police
  • contact relatives or friends with your written consent
  • explain the local criminal justice process in general terms
  • provide a list of local attorneys
  • provide our information on victim’s compensation programs in the U.S.
  • provide an emergency loan for repatriation to the United States and/or limited medical support in cases of destitution
  • help you find accommodation and arrange flights home
  • replace a stolen or lost passport

For additional information:

Local Laws & Special Circumstances

Criminal Penalties: You are subject to local laws. If you violate local laws, even unknowingly, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned.

Furthermore, some laws are also prosecutable in the U.S., regardless of local law. For examples, see our website on crimes against minors abroad and the Department of Justice website.

The Jordanian constitution provides for freedom of speech and of the press with some restrictions. Insulting the King or members of the Royal Family may lead to detainment or imprisonment. Additionally, activities that the Jordanian government considers proselytizing to Muslims (including the distribution of religious material) are forbidden under the law and anyone undertaking these activities is subject to prosecution, imprisonment, and deportation. Please see the information below on Islam as the state religion of Jordan.

Jordanian courts may impose criminal penalties, including imprisonment, for alleged infractions that in the United States would be resolved in civil courts. The U.S. Embassy is aware of several cases involving business or financial disputes that resulted in lengthy pre-trial detention and imprisonment under local financial crimes laws.

Jordan has very strict drug laws; drug offenses fall under the umbrella of state security and adhere to a different set of criminal procedures than other offenses. Accused offenders can be detained for up to two weeks without charges; this delay can result in the Embassy not being notified about the detainment because an official arrest has not taken place. It is illegal to use and/or distribute drugs in Jordan.

Arrest Notification: If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy immediately. See our webpage for further information.

Family Circumstances: The U.S. Embassy is aware of cases where U.S. citizens have been subject to domestic violence and abandonment by their spouses, including incidents of restrictions of movement through travel holds, loss of custody of children or forced marriage. Women and children should pay particular attention to any warning signs, including husbands or other family members withholding money or travel documents for such purposes after arrival in Jordan. Cases of domestic violence should be reported to the Family Protection Department, which is part of the national police. Travelers should also be aware that U.S. laws cannot protect U.S. citizens when they are outside of the United States.

Travel Holds: Under Jordanian law, any adult male may prevent his minor children from leaving Jordan by simply registering a hold on their travel with the Jordanian authorities. Husbands may place travel holds on their wives pursuant to a court order from a Jordanian court. Adult male relatives (uncles, brothers, grandfathers) may also petition Jordanian courts for a travel hold on their unmarried adult female relatives. Immigration officials may prevent minor children traveling with their mothers from departing Jordan without the father’s affirmative consent. This is possible even if the child or woman holds only U.S. nationality. Jordanian authorities consider disputes surrounding travel holds as private family matters, and the Embassy is limited in its ability to intervene. Travel holds may only be removed by the person who placed them or by a court. Please see the section below on Children’s Issues.

Male Military Requirement: U.S. citizen males who also hold Jordanian citizenship may be subject to laws that impose military service obligations on Jordanians. Jordanian men under age 40 are required to register for service in the Jordanian military. Those subject to registration may be prevented from leaving Jordan until exit permission is obtained from appropriate Jordanian authorities. This permission is often granted to U.S. citizens, but may take some time to obtain and may be limited to a single exit.

Dual Citizenship: The Government of Jordan considers U.S.-Jordanian dual nationals to be Jordanian citizens. Local authorities typically do not notify the U.S. Embassy of arrests, detentions, or accidents involving dual nationals. For this reason, dual nationals in particular should carry copies of their U.S. passports with them at all times so that evidence of their identity and U.S. citizenship is readily available for local authorities.

For additional information, see our information on Dual Nationality.

Customs: Jordanian customs authorities may enforce strict regulations concerning temporary importation into or export from Jordan of items such as drugs, firearms, poisons, chemicals, explosives, pornographic materials, communications equipment, and antiquities, among other items. You should contact the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan in Washington, D.C., or one of the Jordanian consulates in the United States, if you seek specific information regarding customs requirements.

Please also refer to our Customs Information page for additional information.

Faith-Based Travelers: See the Department of State’s International Religious Freedom Report.

Islam is the state religion of Jordan. The Jordanian government generally does not interfere in religious practices. Some religious groups, however, cannot obtain legal recognition of their denominations. On official documents such as birth and wedding certificates, the Government of Jordan only allows affiliation with legally recognized faiths: Islam, certain Christian churches, and Judaism. Not listing an affiliated faith, or listing a faith outside those recognized by the government, is generally not permitted. Activities such as proselytizing or encouraging conversion to any faith other than Islam are prohibited. U.S. citizens have been detained, arrested, and deported for discussing or trying to engage Jordanians in discussions about religion, even if such discussions also involve other activities, such as humanitarian aid.

LGBTI Travelers: LGBTI status and/or conduct are not criminalized in Jordan; however, laws against adultery or breaches of modesty may be used against LGBTI travelers. Public displays of affection between individuals of the same sex are not considered culturally acceptable. Foreigners exhibiting such behavior or expressing themselves outside of traditional gender norms in terms of dress or appearance may face greater risk of official and societal harassment by and/or to betargets of violence. Gay and lesbian Jordanians frequently hide their sexuality, especially from family members. Family members who discover that a relative is LGBTI may target them for “honor” killing.  See our LGBTI Travel Information page and section 6 of our Human Rights report for further details.

Travelers Who Require Accessibility Assistance: While in Jordan, individuals with disabilities may find accessibility and accommodation very different from what is found in the United States. Outside of a few of the more upscale hotels in the capital, individuals with disabilities will find almost no accessible accommodations. Similarly there are very few accessible restaurants, shops, or historical sites. Transportation is not accessible and sidewalks and crosswalks, even in the main cities, are not accessible. Handicap-accessible toilets and bathrooms, even in major hospitals, are generally not available.

Students: See our Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips.

Women Travelers: If you are a woman traveling abroad, please review our travel tips for Women Travelers.

Women visiting and residing in Jordan have reported incidents of sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, and assault. The Embassy continues to receive sporadic reports regarding incidents of sexual assaults involving taxis and taxi drivers. Many of the incidents have involved verbal sexual harassment, staring, or following the victim. Some have included physical assaults. To reduce the likelihood of being victimized, women should take precautions such as avoiding travel to unfamiliar areas at night, not traveling alone, not riding in the front seat of a taxi, and consider dressing modestly when in public. We also recommend carrying a cell phone at all times. Immediately report any incidents to the Family ProtectiProtection Department, which is part of the national police and can be reached by calling 911.


Modern medical care and medicines are generally available in Jordan’s main cities, but not always in outlying areas. Most acute and chronic medical conditions can be appropriately handled. When called, ambulance vehicles are often slow to arrive and personnel generally have only a basic level of training. Most hospitals in Jordan, especially in Amman, are privately owned. Doctors and hospitals often expect immediate cash payment or a high deposit for services.

Seasonal dust storms that envelop the country for days or weeks each spring may significantly aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma or sinus problems.

The U.S. Embassy does not pay medical bills. Be aware that U.S. Medicare does not apply overseas.

Medical Insurance: Make sure your health insurance plan provides coverage overseas. Most medical providers overseas only accept cash payments. Because serious medical problems requiring hospitalization and/or medical evacuation to the United States could cost more than 150,000 USD, we strongly advise U.S. citizen travelers to carry medical evacuation insurance. See our webpage for more information on insurance providers for overseas coverage.

Vaccinations: Be up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Further health information:

Travel & Transportation

Road Conditions and Safety: While in Jordan, U.S. citizens may encounter road conditions and driving habits that differ significantly from those in the United States. The information below concerning Jordan is provided for general reference only and may not be completely accurate in a particular location or circumstance.

U.S. Embassy Amman has advised its employees to avoid driving at night outside the Amman metropolitan area due to road conditions, poorly lighted rural roads, and erratic behavior by other drivers. 

It is typical for drivers in Jordan not to signal for turns or lane changes. Drivers tend to be aggressive, and cars operate very closely together on highways. Jordanian roads are particularly treacherous during the rainy season, which runs from December to March. Heavy snowfall can occur in winter months (December to February), making many roads – even major highways – impassable for several days. Driving in Amman also is hazardous in the summer months of June to September when Jordan experiences an influx of visitors from other countries in the region. Highway traffic is heavy around the Muslim holidays when many Jordanian expatriates return to Jordan for family visits.

The Desert Highway outside Aqaba, as well as the Dead Sea Highway from Amman, both popular tourist routes, are dangerous because they are narrow, winding, steep, and crowded with trucks. Try to avoid using these roads at night. When driving in both urban and rural areas, motorists should beware of unmarked speed bumps and livestock, including camels, sheep, and goats. Collisions with livestock are common.

As a result of these factors, traffic accidents are frequent and continue to be the largest cause of injury and death in Jordan.

Traffic Laws:

  • Drivers must have a valid Jordanian license or a valid foreign license with an International Driving Permit to drive in Jordan. U.S. visitors who intend to drive should obtain an International Driving Permit before travel to Jordan. Temporary visitors may use their valid American driver's licenses only to rent “green” plated rental cars.
  • Drivers and passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
  • All cars must have a fire extinguisher and warning triangle in the vehicle.
  • Child car seats are not required by law.
  • Fines for speeding can exceed 140 USD. Speed cameras are installed on many roads in Jordan.
  • Talking on a cell phone while driving is prohibited. If stopped by police, drivers may face a fine.

Police may pull over speeding drivers, as well as those believed to be driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Insurance: Licensed drivers must carry local third-party insurance with sufficient coverage for accidents resulting in injury or death. Drivers who are involved in an accident should remain at the scene and immediately call the police and emergency personnel in case injuries have occurred. Police frequently hold the driver’s license or passport in order to prevent the driver from fleeing. Identification documents can be recovered at the police station. It is common for drivers to blame a U.S. citizen driver for accidents, regardless of the actual circumstances of the incident. Following an accident, the other party may file criminal or civil charges to seek damages. U.S. citizen drivers have occasionally been detained by police as a result. The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S. citizen drivers in a traffic accident retain private legal counsel.

Taxis: Jordan has abundant taxi services. Please see the Crime section for more information on sexual harassment and assault involving taxi drivers, as well as safety tips when using public or private transportation. Visitors should make arrangements for taxis via their hotel and request that drivers not pick up additional passengers en route to their destinations. Although not yet fully and clearly regulated and legalized, on-call taxi services such as Uber and Careem operate in Jordan. Mass transportation options such as buses are not recommended. Jordanian security authorities often establish checkpoints, especially on roads leading to popular tourist destinations, where drivers are expected to stop and present their identity documents. All drivers should stop when directed to do so and comply with the instructions provided to them by the authorities.

Emergencies should be referred to the Civil Defense Department by dialing 911. Visit the website of Jordan’s Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities. For information on driving regulations, please contact the Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan at 3504 International Drive NW, Washington, DC 20008, by telephone at (202) 966-2664.

Please additionally refer to our Road Safety page for more information.

AVIATION SAFETY OVERSIGHT: The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has assessed the Government of Jordan’s Civil Aviation Authority as being in compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) aviation safety standards for oversight of Jordan’s air carrier operations. Further information may be found on the FAA’s safety assessment page.

MARITIME TRAVEL: Mariners planning travel to Jordan should also check for U.S. maritime advisories and alerts within the MARAD website. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website. Select “broadcast warnings” from within the NGA site.

Foreign Consular Office Contact Information
Use Style in the Text Component to tag city names and to tag phone numbers, fax numbers, and emails with the respective Style icon.


Washington, DC

Telephone (202) 966-2664; Fax (202) 966-3110

  • General Information
  • Hague Abduction Convention
  • Return
  • Visitation/Access
  • Retaining an Attorney
  • Mediation
Hague Questions | Learn More Links
Party to the Hague Abduction Convention? No
U.S. Treaty Partner under the Hague Abduction Convention? No
Learn why the Hague Abduction Convention Matters: /content/travel/en/International-Parental-Child-Abduction/for-providers/laws/important-feat-hague-abdtn-conv.html

General Information

For information concerning travel to Jordan, including information about the location of the U.S. Embassy, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, entry/exit requirements, safety and security, crime, medical facilities and health information, traffic safety, road conditions and aviation safety, please see country-specific information for Jordan.

The U.S. Department of State reports statistics and compliance information for individual countries in the Annual Report on International Parental Child Abduction (IPCA).  The report is located here.


Hague Abduction Convention

Jordan is not a signatory to the 1980 Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction (Hague Abduction Convention), nor are there any bilateral agreements in force between Jordan and the United States concerning international parental child abduction.


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country. Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Jordan and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances. 

The Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, Directorate for Overseas Citizens Services, Office of Children’s Issues provides assistance in cases of international parental child abduction. For U.S. citizen parents whose children have been wrongfully removed to or retained in countries that are not U.S. partners under the Hague Abduction Convention, the Office of Children’s Issues can provide information and resources about country-specific options for pursuing the return of or access to an abducted child. The Office of Children’s Issues may also coordinate with appropriate foreign and U.S. government authorities about the welfare of abducted U.S. citizen children. Parents are strongly encouraged to contact the Department of State for assistance.

Contact information:

United States Department of State
Bureau of Consular Affairs
Office of Children’s Issues
SA-17, 9th Floor  
Washington, DC 20522-1709
Telephone:  1-888-407-4747
Outside the United States or Canada: 1-202-501-4444
Fax: 202-485-6221
Email: MiddleEastIPCA@state.gov

Parental child abduction may be considered a crime in Jordan depending on the circumstances surrounding the child’s removal. Parents are encouraged to consult with a Jordanian attorney to determine if their particular case qualifies as a crime under Jordanian law. 

Parents may wish to consult with an attorney in the United States and in the country to which the child has been removed or retained to learn more about how filing criminal charges may impact a custody case in the foreign court. Please see Pressing Criminal Charges for more information. 


Legal systems and laws pertaining to custody, divorce, and parental abduction vary widely from country to country.  Parents are encouraged to consult with an attorney who specializes in family law in Jordan and who can provide accurate legal guidance that is specific to their circumstances.

The Office of Children’s Issues may be able to assist parents seeking access to children who have been wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States.   Parents who are seeking access to children who were not wrongfully removed from or retained outside the United States should contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate in Jordan for information and possible assistance.

Retaining an Attorney

Neither the Office of Children’s Issues nor consular officials at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Jordan are authorized to provide legal advice.

The U.S. Embassy in Amman, Jordan, posts list of attorneys, including those who specialize in family law.

This list is provided as a courtesy service only and does not constitute an endorsement of any individual attorney. The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the persons or firms included in this list. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the lawyers.


The Jordanian Family Mediation Directorate provides mediation services directly to parents involved in international parental child abduction cases.  Mediation is voluntary and both parents must agree to participate.  Contact the Office of Children’s Issues for additional information about this mediation program.

  • Hague
  • Hague Convention Information
  • U.S. Immigration Requirements
  • Who Can Adopt
  • Who Can Be Adopted
  • How To Adopt
  • Traveling Abroad
  • After Adoption
  • Contact Information
Hague Questions
Hague Adoption Convention Country? No
Are Intercountry Adoptions between this country and the United States possible?
Is this country a U.S. Hague Partner?
Hague Convention Information

Jordan is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention).  Intercountry adoptions of children from non-Hague countries are processed in accordance with 8 Code of Federal Regulations, Section  204.3 as it relates to orphans as defined under the Immigration and Nationality Act, Section 101(b)(1)(F).

Note:  Adoption is not allowed by the law of Jordan.  However, the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) may grant guardianship of children to people who are not the child’s parents and who intend to adopt the child in a different country.  Custody and Alternative Families is a system followed in Jordan.  This system is similar to adoption, but differs in that it maintains the original parental relationship as mandated by Islamic Law.  This system is consistent with Jordanian Juvenile Law Number 24 of 1968 and amendments.

U.S. Immigration Requirements For Intercountry Adoptions

To bring an adopted child to the United States from Jordan, you must meet certain suitability and eligibility requirements. USCIS determines who is suitable and eligible to adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States under U.S. immigration law.

Additionally, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. immigration law in order to be eligible to immigrate to the United States with an IR-3 or IR-4 immigrant visa.

Who Can Adopt

Under Jordanian law, a child is considered to be “abandoned” if the child is placed in the care of the MSD and (1) the parents are unknown OR (2) the child is born out of wedlock.
In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, you must also meet the following requirements in order to obtain a guardianship in Jordan:

  • Residency: None
  • Age of Parents: The guardian father must be 35-55, and the guardian mother 30-50 years old. 
  • Marriage: Jordanian law stipulates that all prospective parents for legal guardianship MUST be Muslim, married for five or more years, and medically certified as infertile in order to obtain legal guardianship in Jordan. (In select situations, and on a case by case basis, non-Muslims may be granted guardianship/custody by a juvenile court order issued through the civil court). Single persons cannot acquire legal guardianship of children in Jordan. Same-sex marriages are not recognized in Jordan, and therefore same-sex couples cannot gain guardianship as a couple. However, the Juvenile Jordanian Act provides that a child may be placed as a foster child with a single person (male or female), or with a family with children by a court order, with the specification that the child be taken care  of  as if they are in his or her biological family.
  • Income: The guardians’ employer(s) must provide detailed information about their income and employment status, as explained below. 
  • Other: The prospective family for legal guardianship may have up to two children total, including the child(ren) for the legal guardianship. If the prospective guardians already have one child, then the Jordanian child legal guardianship must be of the same sex as that child. Prospective guardian parents who have previously gotten legal guardianship in Jordan must wait a minimum of two years before seeking legal guardianship of another child of the same gender. Prospective guardians who are U.S. citizens may also want to review the general information on Adoption of Children from Countries in which Islamic Shari'a law is observed

Who Can Be Adopted

In addition to U.S. immigration requirements, Jordan has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption:

  • Relinquishment: There is no relinquishment in Jordan. The MSD considers all Jordanian children under its care as abandoned.
  • Abandonment: The MSD considers all Jordanian children under its care as abandoned.  If the parents are unknown and the children are under the care of the MSD, they are considered abandoned.
  • Age of Adoptive Child: MSD may give legal guardianship for a child of any age.
  • Sibling Adoptions: No sibling legal guardianship exists in Jordan.
  • Special Needs or Medical Conditions: Children with special needs or medical conditions are eligible for guardianship.
  • Waiting Period or Foster Care: The period depends on the child’s availability, and could take up to one year.

Caution: Prospective adoptive parents should be aware that not all children in orphanages or children’s homes are adoptable. In many countries, birth parents place their child(ren) temporarily in an orphanage or children’s home due to financial or other hardship, intending that the child return home when this becomes possible. In such cases, the birth parent(s) have rarely relinquished their parental rights or consented to their child(ren)’s adoption.

How To Adopt

Jordan’s Guardianship Authority
Ministry of Social Development (MSD), Family Directorate


The process for obtaining guardianship of a child from Jordan generally includes the following steps:

1.  Choose an adoption service provider
2.  Apply to be found eligible to adopt
3.  Be matched with a child
4.  Obtain guardianship of the child in Jordan
5.  Apply for the child to be found eligible for orphan status
6.  Bring your child home
7.  Adopt your child in the United States

1.  Choose an Adoption Service Provider

The recommended first step in adopting a child from Jordan is to decide whether or not to use a licensed adoption service provider in the United States that can help you with your adoption. Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate. The Department of State provides information on selecting an adoption service provider on its website.

There are no adoption agencies in Jordan. Under Custody and Alternative Families, Jordan does not permit adoptions. In certain cases, the MSD will award guardianship of a child to people who are not the child’s parents. The Embassy maintains a list of attorneys practicing in Jordan, which can be found on the U.S. Embassy’s website.

2.  Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt

In order to obtain legal guardianship of a child from Jordan, you will need to meet the requirements of the Government of Jordan and U.S. immigration law. You must submit an application to be found eligible for a guardianship with the Jordanian MSD.

There are two types of custody:

  • Custody inside Jordan: For Jordanian or permanent resident families in Jordan, an application may be submitted to the Ministry of Social Development branch with jurisdiction in your place of residence, where all the procedures and required documents will be performed and given to the Ministry to make the decision according to the applicability of the conditions.
  • Custody outside Jordan: Families living outside Jordan may submit a request to the Jordanian embassy in their country, where all the procedures and required documents will be performed and sent for the decision to be made by the MSD.

To meet U.S. immigration requirements, you may also file an I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of an Orphan Petition with U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to be found eligible and suitable to adopt.

3.  Be Matched with a Child

If you are eligible and a child is available for guardianship with the goal of completing an intercountry adoption, the MSD in Jordan will provide you with a referral. Each family must decide for itself whether it will be able to meet the needs of and provide a permanent home for a particular child. The child must be eligible for guardianship according to Jordan’s requirements, as described in the Who Can Be Adopted section. The child must also meet the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law.

4.  Adopt or Obtain Legal Custody of Child in Jordan

The process for obtaining legal custody in Jordan generally includes the following:

  • Role of Adoption Authority: MSD is the authority in Jordan for legal guardianship, and its role may be summarized in the following points:
    • Receives the legal guardianship application from the prospective guardian family.
    • Conducts home study for the family.
    • Sends the legal guardianship application and the pertaining documents to the foster department for Ministry approval.
    • Puts the family on the waiting list.
    • When an appropriate child is available, the MSD will contact the family and give them an official letter to come see the child in the orphanage.
    • Sends an official letter to the Juvenile Court to issue an order to grant the family legal guardianship of the child.
    • Contacts the Ministry’s directorates in Jordan and the Jordanian embassies and consulates abroad to provide the Ministry with periodical reports on the welfare of the children.
  • Role of the Court: After receiving an official letter from MSD’s Family and Children Section stating that the family has been granted legal guardianship, the Juvenile Court issues an order to give custody of the child to the family to take care of as their foster child. 
  • Role of Adoption Agencies: There are no adoption agencies in Jordan. Families work directly with MSD or through a specialized lawyer.
  • Adoption Application: Applications for legal guardianship are available at the Ministry itself or in the Jordanian embassies and consulates abroad. Unfortunately, the application is not yet available online.
  • Time Frame: MSD reports that prospective guardianship parents can expect to wait an average of three months from the time they initiate contact with the MSD to when they are given custody of a child.
  • Adoption Fees: The MSD does not charge any fees. However, prospective guardian parents can expect to pay fees for the baby’s birth certificate, passport, and Family Book issuance. The “Family Book,” issued by the Jordanian government, contains biographical information about each member of the family. In the case of an abandoned child, the Family Book only contains the child’s fictitious name.  The fictitious name is explained below. The fee for obtaining a Jordanian passport for a child (under 16) is 10 JD, for the birth certificate is 1 JD, and for the Jordanian family book is 2 JD. More details about current fees and required documents can be found at the MSD website at cspd.gov.jo.  (Please note that this website is currently only in Arabic.)
  • Documents Required: The following documents are required:
    • Copies of the marriage certificate
    • Copies of each prospective guardian’s valid passport
    • Social (home) study (forms will be provided through the Jordanian embassy in Washington)
    • Employment letters with detailed information about prospective guardian’s income, employment status, etc.
    • Original doctor’s reports about the health of both prospective guardians’ must also be provided, including medical proof of their infertility.
    • If a U. S. citizen is resident in Jordan, then these documents must be translated into Arabic and certified directly by the Jordanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ (MFA) Authentication Department, located in Jabal Amman, 3rd Circle, Amman.  The current fee for certifying documents is between 1-5 JD.
    • If either or both prospective guardians convert to Islam, a copy of the conversion certificate must be provided. 

All of these documents must be translated into Arabic and certified by the Jordanian embassy in Washington, which will forward them to the MSD (through the Foreign Ministry).

Once received, an MSD committee reviews the request to foster a child. If all conditions are met, the Minister of Social Development issues his/her approval or denial. Foster parents are notified by mail that they are approved and invited to travel to Jordan to locate a child.  Couples who are approved will then be escorted to a government-run orphanage to choose from children whose parents are unknown.

The MSD is the only entity authorized to grant guardianship through the Juvenile Court. According to the precepts of Islam and the laws of Jordan governing the guardianship of infants of unknown parentage, the guardian parents are permitted to choose the first name of the child. The Ministry of Interior’s Department of Civil Status chooses fictitious first and last names for the unknown mother and father, which along with the child's first name, are placed on the Jordanian birth certificate. These “fictitious names,” which are chosen at random and do not identify with any common Jordanian family or tribal names, are required for issuance of a Jordanian birth certificate. The child, per Jordanian law, will carry the names of the fictitious father. Once a birth certificate has been issued, the child is also issued a Jordanian Family Book and a Jordanian passport. At this point, the guardian parents may petition for an immigrant visa for their child at the U.S. Embassy in Amman, Jordan.

Regardless of nationality, all couples are required to apply to the MSD to qualify to become guardians. The pre-qualification process is similar to that in most U.S. states. To begin this process, prospective adoptive parents are asked to submit a fostering request to the appropriate authorities, based on the criteria below:

  1. Custody inside Jordan: For Jordanians or permanent resident families in Jordan, an application may be submitted to the MSD branch with jurisdiction of their place of residence, where all the procedures and required documents will be completed and given to the MSD to make a decision.
  2. Custody outside Jordan: Families living outside Jordan may submit a request to the Jordanian Embassy in their country, where all the procedures and required documents will be completed and sent to the MSD to make a decision.

This request should include the following information: name, age, profession, and religion of both parents, plus their contact information, including full mailing address. Once the MSD has received and processed the request, it will direct the Jordanian Embassy in Washington (through the Foreign Ministry) to request additional documentation from the prospective foster parents. 

Note:  Additional documents may be requested.

  • Authentication of Documents: You may be asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic. If so, the Department of State, Authentications Office may be able to assist.

5.  Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Orphan Status

After you gain legal custody in Jordan, the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services must determine whether the child meets the definition of orphan under U.S. immigration law. You will need to file a Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative. Contact Amman’s USCIS Field Office directly at uscis.amman@dhs.gov.

6.  Bring Your Child Home

Once you gain legal custody of the child, you need to apply for several documents for the child before you can apply for a U.S. immigrant visa to bring your child home to the United States to finalize the adoption:

Birth Certificate
If you have been granted custody for the purpose of adopting the child in the United States, the birth certificate you obtain will, in most cases, not yet include your name. You must obtain the new Jordanian birth certificate and Family Book from the Civil Status Department, Ministry of Interior. 

Jordanian Passport  
Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or passport from Jordan. Use the birth certificate and Family Book to obtain a Jordanian passport for your child from the Civil Status and Passport Department. The passport is usually issued the same day and costs 10 JD.

How to obtain a Passport for your child in Jordan:
Civil Status and Passport Department
Ministry of Interior
Jabal Amman, First Circle
Zahran Street (behind Iraqi Embassy), Amman, Jordan
Tel:  962-6-463-6378 (or 463-6370, 463-6379 or 464-4496

Mailing address:
Civil Status and Passport Department
P.O. Box 3102
Amman, Jordan

U.S. Immigrant Visa
After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child and you have filed Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative, you then need to apply for a U.S. immigrant visa for your child from the U.S. Embassy in Amman. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician’s medical report on the child. 

You can find instructions for applying for an immigrant visa on the U.S. Embassy in Amman’s website, Amman-IV@state.gov . 

Child Citizenship Act

For adoptions finalized abroad prior to the child’s entry into the United States: A child will acquire U.S. citizenship upon entry into the United States if the adoption was finalized prior to entry and the child otherwise meets the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

For adoptions finalized after the child’s entry into the United States: Now that you have acquired legal guardianship for your child, an adoption will need to be completed following your child’s entry into the United States for the child to acquire U.S. citizenship.

*Please be aware that since your child does not qualify to become a citizen upon entry to the United States, it is very important that you take the steps necessary so that your child does qualify as soon as possible.  Failure to obtain citizenship for your child can impact many areas of his/her life including family travel, eligibility for education and education grants, and voting.

Read more about the Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport
U.S. citizens are required by law to enter and depart the United States on a valid U.S. passport. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports.

Getting or renewing a passport is easy.  The Passport Application Wizard will help you determine which passport form you need, help you to complete the form online, estimate your payment, and generate the form for you to print—all in one place.

Obtaining a Visa to Travel to Jordan
In addition to a U.S. passport, you may also need to obtain a visa.  A visa is an official document issued by a foreign country that formally allows you to visit.  Where required, visas are affixed to your passport and allow you to enter a foreign nation.  To find information about obtaining a visa for Jordan see the Department of State’s Country Specific Information.

Staying Safe on Your Trip
Before you travel, it is always a good practice to investigate the local conditions, laws, political landscape, and culture of the country.  The Department of State provides Country Specific Information for every country of the world about various issues, including the health conditions, crime, unusual currency or entry requirements, and any areas of instability.

Staying in Touch on Your Trip
When traveling during the adoption process, we encourage you to enroll with the Department of State.  Enrollment makes it possible to contact you if necessary.  Whether there is a family emergency in the United States or a crisis in Jordan, enrollment assists the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in reaching you.

Enrollment is free and can be done online via the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

After Adoption

After the child has immigrated to the United States, adoptive parents are required to inform the nearest Jordanian Embassy or consulate of any change in address. This facilitates the follow-up that the MSD performs for all adopted Jordanian children abroad.

We strongly urge you to comply with Jordanian law and to complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources
Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Jordan
al Umawayeen Street, Abdoun
Tel:  962-6-590-6000
Fax: 962-6-592-4102
Email: Amman-IV@state.gov or ACSAmman@state.gov
Internet: jo.usembassy.gov

Jordan’s Adoption Authority:  Ministry of Social Development (MSD), Family and Childhood Section/Fostering Program
P.O. Box 6720
Arjan 11118
Amman, Jordan
Tel:  5679327
Family Manager:  Ext. 399
Custody Section:  Ext. 334
Fax:  5679961
Family Directorate Fax:  5694291

Embassy of Jordan: Embassy of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan
3504 International Drive, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008
Tel:  (202) 966-2664
Fax:  (202) 966-3110
Email:  HKJEmbassyDC@jordanembassyus.org
Internet:  jordanembassyus.org

Office of Children’s Issues
U.S. Department of State
SA-17, 9th Floor
Washington, D.C.  20522-1709
Tel:  1-888-407-4747
Email:  AskCI@state.gov
Internet:  adoption.state.gov

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
For questions about filing a Form I-800A application or a Form I-800 petition:
USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC):
Tel:  1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-913-275-5480 (local); Fax: 1- 913-214-5808
Email: NBC.Adoptions@uscis.dhs.gov

For general questions about immigration procedures:
USCIS Contact Center
Tel:  1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)
Internet:  uscis.gov

  • Visa Classifications
  • General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
  • Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
  • Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Visa Classifications

Fee Number
of Entries
A-1 None Multiple 60 Months
A-2 None Multiple 60 Months
A-3 1 None Multiple 24 Months
B-1 None Multiple 60 Months
B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
B-1/B-2 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1 None Multiple 60 Months
C-1/D None Multiple 60 Months
C-2 None Multiple 12 Months
C-3 None Multiple 60 Months
CW-1 11 None Multiple 12 Months
CW-2 11 None Multiple 12 Months
D None Multiple 60 Months
E-1 2 None One 3 Months
E-2 2 None One 3 Months
E-2C 12 None One 3 Months
F-1 None Multiple 60 Months
F-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-1 None Multiple 60 Months
G-2 None Multiple 60 Months
G-3 None Multiple 60 Months
G-4 None Multiple 60 Months
G-5 1 None Multiple 24 Months
H-1B $420.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-1C $420.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-2A $420.00 N/A N/A3
H-2B $420.00 N/A N/A3
H-2R $420.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-3 $420.00 Multiple 12 Months 3
H-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
I None Multiple 60 Months
J-1 4 None Multiple 60 Months
J-2 4 None Multiple 60 Months
K-1 None One 6 Months
K-2 None One 6 Months
K-3 None Multiple 24 Months
K-4 None Multiple 24 Months
L-1 $420.00 Multiple 12 Months
L-2 None Multiple 12 Months
M-1 None Multiple 60 Months
M-2 None Multiple 60 Months
N-8 None Multiple 60 Months
N-9 None Multiple 60 Months
NATO 1-7 N/A N/A N/A
O-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
O-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-1 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-2 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-3 None Multiple 12 Months 3
P-4 None Multiple 12 Months 3
Q-1 6 None Multiple 12 Months 3
R-1 $25.00 Multiple 12 Months
R-2 None Multiple 12 Months
S-5 7 None One 1 Month
S-6 7 None One 1 Month
S-7 7 None One 1 Month
T-1 9 N/A N/A N/A
T-2 None One 6 Months
T-3 None One 6 Months
T-4 None One 6 Months
T-5 None One 6 Months
T-6 None One 6 Months
TD 5 N/A N/A N/A
U-1 None Multiple 48 Months
U-2 None Multiple 48 Months
U-3 None Multiple 48 Months
U-4 None Multiple 48 Months
U-5 None Multiple 48 Months
V-1 None Multiple 120 Months
V-2 None Multiple 120 Months 8
V-3 None Multiple 120 Months 8

Country Specific Footnotes

Although care has been taken to ensure the accuracy, completeness and reliability of the information provided, please contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply if you believe this information is in error or if you have further questions.

Visa Category Footnotes

  1. The validity of A-3, G-5, and NATO 7 visas may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the person who is employing the applicant. The "employer" would have one of the following visa classifications:

    • A-1
    • A-2
    • G-1 through G-4
    • NATO 1 through NATO 6

  2. An E-1 and E-2 visa may be issued only to a principal alien who is a national of a country having a treaty, or its equivalent, with the United States. E-1 and E-2 visas may not be issued to a principal alien if he/she is a stateless resident. The spouse and children of an E-1 or E-2 principal alien are accorded derivative E-1 or E-2 status following the reciprocity schedule, including any reciprocity fees, of the principle alien’s country of nationality.  

    Example: John Doe is a national of the country of Z that has an E-1/E-2 treaty with the U.S. His wife and child are nationals of the country of Y which has no treaty with the U.S. The wife and child would, therefore, be entitled to derivative status and receive the same reciprocity as Mr. Doe, the principal visa holder.  

  3. The validity of H-1 through H-3, O-1 and O-2, P-1 through P-3, and Q visas may not exceed the period of validity of the approved petition or the number of months shown, whichever is less.

    Under 8 CFR §214.2, H-2A and H-2B petitions may generally only be approved for nationals of countries that the Secretary of Homeland Security has designated as participating countries. The current list of eligible countries is available on USCIS's website for both H-2A and H-2B visas. Nationals of countries not on this list may be the beneficiary of an approved H-2A or H2-B petition in limited circumstances at the discretion of the Department of Homeland Security if specifically named on the petition.  

    Derivative H-4, L-2, O-3, and P-4 visas, issued to accompanying or following-to-join spouses and children, may not exceed the validity of the visa issued to the principal alien.

  4. There is no reciprocity fee for the issuance of a J visa if the alien is a United States Government grantee or a participant in an exchange program sponsored by the United States Government.

    Also, there is no reciprocity fee for visa issuance to an accompanying or following-to-join spouse or child (J-2) of an exchange visitor grantee or participant.

    In addition, an applicant is eligible for an exemption from the MRV fee if he or she is participating in a State Department, USAID, or other federally funded educational and cultural exchange program (program serial numbers G-1, G-2, G-3 and G-7).

    However, all other applicants with U.S. Government sponsorships, including other J-visa applicants, are subject to the MRV processing fee.

  5. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canadian and Mexican nationals coming to engage in certain types of professional employment in the United States may be admitted in a special nonimmigrant category known as the "trade NAFTA" or "TN" category. Their dependents (spouse and children) accompanying or following to join them may be admitted in the "trade dependent" or "TD" category whether or not they possess Canadian or Mexican nationality. Except as noted below, the number of entries, fees and validity for non-Canadian or non-Mexican family members of a TN status holder seeking TD visas should be based on the reciprocity schedule of the TN principal alien.

    Canadian Nationals

    Since Canadian nationals generally are exempt from visa requirement, a Canadian "TN' or "TD" alien does not require a visa to enter the United States. However, the non-Canadian national dependent of a Canadian "TN", unless otherwise exempt from the visa requirement, must obtain a "TD" visa before attempting to enter the United States. The standard reciprocity fee and validity period for all non-Canadian "TD"s is no fee, issued for multiple entries for a period of 36 months, or for the duration of the principal alien's visa and/or authorized period of stay, whichever is less. See 'NOTE' under Canadian reciprocity schedule regarding applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality.

    Mexican Nationals

    Mexican nationals are not visa-exempt. Therefore, all Mexican "TN"s and both Mexican and non-Mexican national "TD"s accompanying or following to join them who are not otherwise exempt from the visa requirement (e.g., the Canadian spouse of a Mexican national "TN") must obtain nonimmigrant visas.

    Applicants of Iranian, Iraqi or Libyan nationality, who have a permanent resident or refugee status in Canada/Mexico, may not be accorded Canadian/Mexican reciprocity, even when applying in Canada/Mexico. The reciprocity fee and period for "TD" applicants from Libya is $10.00 for one entry over a period of 3 months. The Iranian and Iraqi "TD" is no fee with one entry over a period of 3 months.

  6. Q-2 (principal) and Q-3 (dependent) visa categories are in existence as a result of the 'Irish Peace Process Cultural and Training Program Act of 1998'. However, because the Department anticipates that virtually all applicants for this special program will be either Irish or U.K. nationals, the Q-2 and Q-3 categories have been placed only in the reciprocity schedules for those two countries. Q-2 and Q-3 visas are available only at the Embassy in Dublin and the Consulate General in Belfast.

  7. No S visa may be issued without first obtaining the Department's authorization.

  8. V-2 and V-3 status is limited to persons who have not yet attained their 21st birthday. Accordingly, the period of validity of a V-2 or V-3 visa must be limited to expire on or before the applicant's twenty-first birthday.

  9. Posts may not issue a T-1 visa. A T-1 applicant must be physically present in the United States, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands or a U.S. port of entry, where he/she will apply for an adjustment of status to that of a T-1. The following dependents of a T-1 visa holder, however, may be issued a T visa at a U.S. consular office abroad:

    • T-2 (spouse)
    • T-3 (child)
    • T-4 (parent)
  10. The validity of NATO-5 visas may not exceed the period of validity of the employment contract or 12 months, whichever is less.

  11. The validity of CW-1 and CW-2 visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (12 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.

  12. The validity of E-2C visas shall not exceed the maximum initial period of admission allowed by DHS (24 months) or the duration of the transition period ending December 31, 2014, whichever is shortest.



General Documents | Birth, Death, Burial Certificates | Marriage, Divorce Certificates
General Documents

Please check back for update.

Birth, Death, Burial Certificates

Birth Certificates


Fees: One Jordanian Dinar

Document Name:  Certificate of Birth “Shihadat Wiladah”

Issuing Authority:   Civil Status & Passport Department

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:   21cm/15cm document; cream background, with light red and light blue swirling pattern; black type; stamp from Civil Status and Passport Department in the lower right corner; ink signature; water mark throughout; UV pattern throughout.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Register

Registration Criteria: All in-country births, regardless of the parents’ nationality

Procedure for Obtaining:   For in-country births to a Jordanian father, you must submit both the birth notification issued by the hospital and the family book.  For in-country births to a non-Jordanian father and foreigners, you must submit the birth notification issued by the hospital, along with the parents’ passports.

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents:  There are no alternate documents

Exceptions:   None

Comments:  The old versions are not accepted unless accompanied by the new version.

Death Certificates

Available:   Obtainable from the Civil Status & Passport Department “ Al-Ahwal El Madanieh (the Civil Register Office).

Fees:  One Jordanian Dinar

Document Name:  Certificate of Death “Shahadat wafat”

Issuing Authority:  Civil Status & Passport Department

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:    21cm/15cm document; cream background, with light red and light blue swirling pattern; black type; stamp from Civil Status and Passport Department in the lower right corner; ink signature; water mark throughout; UV pattern throughout.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Register

Registration Criteria: All in-country deaths

Procedure for Obtaining:  Submittal of a Notification of Death issued by the Ministry of Health is required

Certified Copies Available:  Certified copies are available

Alternate Documents:  There are no alternate documents

Exceptions: None

Comments: None

Marriage, Divorce Certificates

Marriage Certificates

Available: Couples should obtain government-issued marriage certificates as evidence of their legal marriage and a marriage contract signed by the couple in the presence of either a sharia court judge (for Muslims) or a clergy member (for Christians). 

Fees:  One Jordanian dinar

Document Name:   Certificate of Marriage

Issuing Authority:   Ministry of Interior, Civil Status and Passport Department

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:   21cm/15cm document; cream background, with light red and light blue swirling pattern; black type; stamp from Civil Status and Passport Department in the lower right corner; ink signature; water mark throughout; UV pattern throughout.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Register

Registration Criteria:   No civil marriage ceremonies are performed in Jordan. Applicants must have a marriage contract from either a sharia court (for Muslims) or a church (for Christians).

Procedure for Obtaining:   Applicants must take their family book and their marriage contract to any office of the Civil Status and Passport Department.  Processing takes approximately one hour.

Certified Copies Available:   Certified copies are available. They are identical to the original copy.

Exceptions:   None

Comments:   Old versions of documents are accepted when accompanied by a new version described above.


Divorce Certificates

Available:  Couples should obtain government-issued divorce certificates as evidence of their legal divorce. Muslims can obtain a divorce decree signed by the couple in the presence of a sharia court judge, and Christians, ecclesiastical court documents may also be available.

Fees:  One Jordanian Dinar

Document Name:   Certificate of Divorce

Issuing Authority:   Civil Status & Passport Department

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: 21cm/15cm document; cream background, with light red and light blue swirling pattern; black type; stamp from Civil Status and Passport Department in the lower right corner; ink signature; water mark throughout; UV pattern throughout.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Register

Registration Criteria:   Final irrevocable divorce decree

Procedure for Obtaining:   Divorce decrees issued by a Sharia court for Muslims or Ecclesiastical courts for Christians

Certified Copies Available:   Certified copies are available

Exceptions:   None

Comments:  Jordanian civil status divorce certificates are issued upon registration of a final, non-revocable divorce. Revocable divorces may not be registered with civil status authorities until they become final. 

Adoption Certificates | Identity Card | Police, Court, Prison Records | Military Records
Adoption Certificates

Unavailable:  Adoption is not legal in Jordan.

Identity Card


Fees: Two Jordan Dinars

Document Name:   Identity Card

Issuing Authority:   Civil Status & Passport Department

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Register

Registration Criteria: At age 16, all Jordanian nationals must obtain a national ID card.

Certified Copies Available:   Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents:   Non-Jordanian citizens may not obtain a Jordanian ID card but can apply for a residency card issued by the Police Department.

Exceptions:   Jordanians living abroad are not required to have valid IDs during their stay outside Jordan, but they must apply for ID cards upon return to Jordan.

Comments:   The Government of Jordan is in the process of replacing all ID cards issued prior to 2016 with a new ID card that has an embedded microchip used to store personal data pertaining to the ID card holder.

Police, Court, Prison Records

Certificate of Non-Conviction


Fees:  Six Jordanian Dinars

Document Name:   Certificate of Non-Conviction

Issuing Authority:   Ministry of Justice

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format:   21cm/15cm document; cream background, with; black type; stamp from Ministry of Justice in the bottom; ink signature; UV pattern throughout.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Ministry of Justice

Registration Criteria:   Adults over the age of 18

Procedure for Obtaining:   Applications to obtain the certificate can be submitted online through the Jordanian Government's official website or by phone through the National Call Center (06-500-8080). Applicants can also request the certificates in person at the local court (mahkamet al bedaya). Persons who request the non-conviction certificate online must have been previously fingerprinted; otherwise they will have to go in person to be fingerprinted.    

Certified Copies Available:   Certified copies are available.

Alternate Documents:   There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:   None

Comments:   Available to resident Jordanian citizens and foreigners regardless of the length of stay.


Police Certificates


Military Records


Fees:  Two Jordanian Dinars

Document Name:   Military Service Book

Issuing Authority:   Jordan Armed Forces

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Jordan Armed Forces

Registration Criteria:   At the age of 16, Jordanian males must register with the Office of Moral Guidance closest to their place of residence to obtain a military service book.

Procedure for Obtaining:   Application in person      

Certified Copies Available:   Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents:  Military Service Exemption Card

Exceptions:   Males over the age of forty are exempted from military service.

Comments:   If the family has only one male child, then the child is exempted from mandatory military service.

Passports & Other Travel Documents | Other Records | Visa Issuing Posts | Visa Services
Passports & Other Travel Documents

Types Available:

  • Ordinary passports are valid for five years and can be renewed for an additional five year period at any Jordanian diplomatic or consular office abroad.
  • Ordinary passports issued to residents of the Gaza Strip are marked as such on the last page of the passport and are valid for three years only.
  • Diplomatic and special passports from Jordan are generally valid for two years, but can be issued for longer periods.

The Government of Jordan also issues an official passport, valid for one trip or for a period of either three or six months, for those on an official mission. These passports satisfy the requirements of INA Section 212(a) (7) (B).

Fees: Forty Jordanian Dinars

Document Name:   Passport

Issuing Government Authority:  Only the Ministry of Foreign Affairs issues Diplomatic Passports. All other passports are issued by the Civil Status & Passport Department.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title:   Civil Status & Passport Department

Registration Criteria:   Jordanian citizens can apply for passports in person by presenting a valid ID card. For minors, the application must be signed by the father or an adult who has a guardianship over the minor.

Procedure for Obtaining:   Application in person at the Civil Status & Passport Department or Jordanian Embassies and Consulates overseas.            

Alternate Documents:           There are no alternate documents.

Exceptions:   On rare occasions (with cases of a lost or stolen passport), Jordanian embassies may issue a transportation letter in lieu of a regular passport.   

Comments: In some cases you may see children added onto one of the parents’ passports, which is a normal practice in Jordan.

Other Documents Available:   There are no other documents available.

Other Records

Not applicable.

Visa Issuing Posts

Post Title:  US Embassy Amman

Address:  Abdoun, Al-Umawyeen St. Amman-Jordan

Phone Number:   962-6-579-9560

Visa Services

Note: The U.S. Embassy work week is Sunday through Thursday. US Embassy Amman provides visa services to all of Jordan east of the Jordan River. Applicants residing west of the Jordan River should apply at Jerusalem.