You must provide 1 photo with your application.
Requirements for a Good Passport Photo
- Size of photo
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm)
- Head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect current appearance
- Matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Plain white or off-white background
- Head must face the camera directly with full face in view
- Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- In color
- Taken in clothing normally worn on a daily basis
- No glasses (If you cannot remove your glasses for medical reasons, please include a signed note from your doctor with application).
- No hats or head coverings (Unless worn daily for religious or medical purposes. Submit a signed statement that verifies that the hat or head covering is part of recognized, traditional religious attire that is customarily or required to be worn continuously in public or a signed doctor's statement verifying the item is used daily for medical purposes. Your full face must be visible and your hat or head covering cannot obscure your hairline or cast shadows on your face.)
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
Want to take your own photo?
If you don't want to use one of the many retail locations that offer passport photo services, you may have a friend or family member take a photo of you. No selfies, please!
Please note: Do not digitally enhance or alter the photo to change your appearance (however, you must remove red eye).
The digital image must adhere to the following specifications:
|Dimensions||Square aspect ratio (height must equal width). Minimum acceptable dimensions 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum acceptable dimensions 1200 x 1200 pixels.|
|Color||In color (sRGB color space is the common output for most digital cameras).|
Please review the following technical requirements and references for guidance on taking your own passport photo.
Want to use your own digital photo?
Use the Department of State’s free photo tool to:
This tool requires Adobe Flash Player 10 or later.
Still have questions about passport photos?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions.
Already Have a Photo?
Use our photo cropping tool to correctly size your photo. No glasses allowed.
Get some quick tips for a great passport photo in this video.
Watch this video on how to apply in-person for an adult U.S. passport!
Applying for your child’s U.S. passport? Watch this video!