Starting November 1, 2016, eye glasses will
no longer be allowed in passport photos.
You must provide 1 photo with your application.
Requirements for a Good Passport Photo
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- Size of photo
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Size of head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25 - 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
- Recent, taken in the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Eye glasses may be worn, but there must not be any glare.
- Background must be plain white or off-white
- Head must be directly facing the camera with your full face in view
- Taken with a neutral facial expression or a natural smile, with both eyes open
- In color
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
- No hats or head coverings, unless you wear it daily for religious purposes. Your full face must be visible and your head covering cannot cast shadows on your face.
- No headphones or wireless hands-free devices.
To see examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos, please visit the Photo Examples page.
Want to take your own photo?
If you don't want to use one of the many retail locations that offer passport photo services, you may have a friend or family member take a photo of you. No selfies, please!
Please note: Do not digitally enhance or altere the photo to change your appearance (however, you must remove red eye).
The digital image must adhere to the following specifications:
|Dimensions||The image dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels.|
|Color||The image must be in color in sRGB color space which is the common output for most digital cameras.|
Please review the following technical requirements and references for guidance on taking your own passport photo.
Want to use your own digital photo?
Use the Department of State’s free photo tool to:
This tool requires Adobe Flash Player 10 or later.
Still have questions about passport photos?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions.
Already Have a Photo?
Use our free photo tool to upload your photo and prepare it for your application.
Get some quick tips for a great passport photo in this video.
Watch this video on how to apply in-person for an adult U.S. passport!
Applying for your child’s U.S. passport? Watch this video!