Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport
If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.
- You should make arrangements to pay the state where child support is owed BEFORE you submit your application for a U.S. passport.
- Once payment is arranged, it may take 2-3 weeks before Passport Services is permitted to process your application.
- All questions about your child support arrears or the status of a payment should be directed to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.
- We have no information concerning your child support obligations and cannot process your passport until the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) removes your name from its list.
- All of the above information is detailed in Section 51.60 (a) (2) of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations.