Child Support Payments and Getting a U.S. Passport
If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport.
Pay your child support arrears to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency before applying for your passport.
What if I already applied and owe child support?
- Make arrangements to pay your child support arrears with the appropriate state child support enforcement agency.
- The state agency reports to HHS that you've made acceptable payment arrangements.
- HHS removes your name from their list and reports this to us. This may take 2-3 weeks.
- We verify that HHS removed your name.
- We process your application normally.
Please Note: Direct all questions about your child support arrears to the appropriate state child support enforcement agency. We have no information about your child support obligations, just if you have arrears greater than $2,500.