Haiti Travel Alert
The State Department has revised the Travel Alert last updated on March 11, 2016 concerning the presidential election period in light of the announcement by Haiti’s Provisional Electoral Council of a new election calendar with a first round of elections on October 9, 2016 and a second round on January 8, 2017. This Travel Alert expires on February 15, 2017.
Haiti’s unfinished presidential electoral process has made the political and security environment more uncertain, with possible demonstrations causing disruption to traffic and access to key locations in Port-au-Prince.
Tensions remain high and we urge U.S. citizens to exercise caution and remain abreast of the security situation as the electoral process progresses. In addition to the dates mentioned above, possible points when demonstrations could occur include June 14, when the National Assembly is due to vote on the mandate of the Provisional President, and the dates on which provisional and definitive results of the above mentioned election rounds are announced.
During elections, restrictions on traffic circulation, either imposed by the authorities or caused by political rallies may be expected. As a general matter of emergency preparedness, U.S. citizens should maintain adequate supplies of food, water, essential medicines, and other supplies that will allow them to shelter in place for at least 72 hours.
U.S citizens should monitor local media for any changes in the election schedule. The U.S. Embassy may update this Travel Alert as the schedule or circumstances change.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Haiti.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Haiti, located at Boulevard du 15 Octobre, Tabarre 41, Tabarre, Haiti, at +(509) 2229-8000, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(509) 2229-8122.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.