Email sent successfully!
Thank you for sending a link to the adoption.state.gov page to the following email(s):
Whether you are considering becoming an adoptive parent, you are already in the process of adopting, or just interested in learning more, we hope that you will find this site to be a useful resource. The information you will find here is intended to provide you with an overview of intercountry adoption, including information about the Hague Adoption Convention.
Throughout our site, you will find varied information that touches upon many different aspects of the intercountry adoption process.
- Find out who we are. What is the role of the Office of Children's Issues in the intercountry adoption process?
- Visit our About Adoption section for a general overview of what intercountry adoption is, for eligibility requirements for prospective adoptive parents, and to learn more information about the process. What should you consider when you choose an adoption agency?
- Access our Country Information to learn about how the adoption process differs between countries. Also obtain the latest Adoption Notices & Alerts about new, important developments in specific countries, including a notice on local adoption requirements for U.S. Citizens Abroad.
- Read our information about the Hague Adoption Convention. Learn which countries belong to this important international treaty. Keep up-to-date on the list of accredited/approved U.S. adoption service providers that can offer services for Convention cases.
- Access the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions Complaint Registry.
- Research intercountry adoption statistics. Find out from what countries most adoptions take place.
- Know ahead of time that types of immigrant visas available to children being adopted from another country. And plan your trip abroad before you go.
If you are considering adopting or are currently in the adoption process, know that if you proceed, you will forever change your life and the life of a child. We are here to help.
- Intercountry Adoption From A-Z
- The Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoption: A Guide for Prospective Adoptive Parents
- FAQ - Adoption of Children from Countries in which Islamic Shari'a law is observed
- FAQ - Child Citizen Act of 2000
- FAQ - Transition Cases and the Hague Adoption Convention
- Centers for Disease Control International Adoption Health Information
- U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs, Office of Children's Issues
- U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Child Welfare information Gateway
- Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute (CCAI)
Other Helpful Links
- Adoptive Families Magazine
- Adoptive Parents Committee
- American Academy of Adoption Attorneys (AAAA)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Child Welfare League of America
- The Center for Adoption Support and Education
- Dave Thomas Foundation
- Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute
- International Social Services
- Joint Council on International Children's Services (JCICS)
- National Adoption Center
- National Council for Adoption (NCFA)
- North American Council on Adoptable Children (NACAC)
- Families for Russian and Ukrainian Adoptions (FRUA)
Note: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.