R 060020Z JUL 02
FM SECSTATE WASHDC
TO ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS
SPECIAL EMBASSY PROGRAM
UNCLAS STATE 130270
E.O. 12958: N/A
TAGS: CVIS, CMGT, KFAM, AINF, KSEP
SUBJECT: New FAM Notes on Parole
REF: A) 9 FAM 42.1 B) 9 FAM APPENDIX N 600 C) 9 FAM APPENDIX O 1800
1. This message has been cleared by (SEP).
2. This is an action request - see paragraph 5.
3. The interpretive and procedural notes at Ref A concerning humanitarian and significant public benefit parole have been modified, as have the related notes at Refs B and C. The revised notes are now available on the Department''s Internet (WWW.FOIA.STATE.GOV/FAM) and Intranet (HTTP://10.4.64.84/FAM/FAM.HTML) sites, and are effective immediately.
4. The major changes include:
-- All routine humanitarian parole recommendations must now be sent to the USCIS Headquarters Parole and Humanitarian Assistance Branch, as opposed to an overseas USCIS District Office.
-- An I-134 (Affidavit of Support) is now required for a humanitarian parole recommendation.
-- For both humanitarian parole and significant public benefit parole cases, consular officers must conduct a CLASS namecheck for all applicants (vice those 16 and older) but must no longer include the CLASS printout with the parole transportation letter.
-- The text of the parole transportation letter at 9 FAM Appendix N Exhibit V has been modified.
-- A medical examination conducted by the post''s panel physician is now only necessary if USCIS specifically informs post that an exam is required.
5. Action request: Consular managers are requested to review the text of the new FAM notes on the Internet or Intranet and ensure that their procedures are in compliance with the notes. Posts may direct any questions to their post liaison officer in CA/VO/F/P.
6. USCIS has cleared the FAM notes and updated transportation letter that are the subject of this message.
7. Minimize considered.