Page 1 2 3 4 5 6
Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, Checklist
|Notice: New Form I-864 - The National Visa Center (NVC), as well as U.S. embassies and consulates will accept either the 09/09/11 version or the newer
(03/22/13) version of the Form I-864 until June 23, 2013. However, after June 23, 2013, only the newer version (03/22/13) of the form will be accepted. If an
applicant already submitted an old 09/09/11version of the Form I-864 before June 23, applicants will NOT be required to submit
a new version of the Form I-864 unless the embassy requires the submission of a new I-864 for some other reason.
Before mailing the I-864 to the NVC:
- Ensure that:
- All pages are stapled together in the correct order
- Each page is filled-out completely
- The form is signed
- Ensure that evidence of current employment or self-employment including a recent pay statement, or a statement from your employer
on business stationery, is attached. A letter from your employer must show the date you began employment, the type of work
done, and your income.
- Verify that family members (spouse and/or children) who are named on the petition with the sponsored applicant and are either arriving
with the sponsored applicant or will arrive within six months of the sponsored applicant's entry into the U.S. have been named
on the I-864 IF your are sponsoring them.
- IF you paid U.S. income taxes, you MUST submit a copy of the most recent federal income tax return with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s, or an Internal
Revenue Service (IRS) transcript (even if the sponsor filed electronically). To request IRS-generated transcripts or copies of a tax return, visit the IRS website.
- The tax return must have all pages stapled together in the correct order.
- If you did not file a tax return, attach a written explanation and a copy of the IRS publication showing the filing exemption.
For information on income tax filing requirements, visit the IRS website.
- IF you claimed assets to meet the minimum income requirement:
- The total net cash value of assets claimed must be at least five times the difference between the your total household income
and the poverty guideline for your household size
- Evidence of ownership, location and the cash value of each asset must be included
- Evidence of liens, mortgages and liabilities for each asset must be included
<< Previous Page | Next Page >>