Where to Apply
If you are traveling internationally in less than 2 weeks or need to obtain a foreign visa within 4 weeks, we recommend scheduling an appointment at a passport agency near you. If you have more time, we recommend submitting your application at an authorized passport acceptance facility.
Authorized Passport Acceptance Facility
- Find a local authorized passport acceptance facility near you.
- Acceptance facilities offer both routine and expedited services.
- Acceptance facilities may include post offices, libraries, or municipal offices.
Department of State Passport Agency
- Find a passport agency near you.
- You must pay the expedited fee for each application submitted in person at a Passport Agency or Center.
- Appointments are required at all agencies. There is no charge to make an appointment at a passport agency and customers should not pay anyone or any business making such a charge.
- To schedule an appointment 24/7, please call our National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
- Will call service is offered at passport agencies for life-or-death emergencies and immediate travel.
- Proof of travel is required at most passport agencies.
- Proof of travel is not required at the Arkansas Passport Agency, Buffalo Passport Agency, Colorado Passport Agency, Detroit Passport Agency, El Paso Passport Agency, Honolulu Passport Agency, Minneapolis Passport Agency, San Diego Passport Agency, Seattle Passport Agency, or Vermont Passport Agency.
If you are renewing a passport for travel within 14 days, you should submit Form DS-82 to the agency at the time of your appointment. Do not mail in the Form DS-82 prior to your appointment.
Applying Outside of the United States
Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States. Although the application forms, supporting documentation, fees, and finished products are the same everywhere, each U.S. embassy and consulate has different procedures for submitting and processing your final documents. For information on how to submit an application for a U.S. passport overseas, please visit Applying Outside of the United States.
Make an Appointment
Call the National Passport Information Center to make an appointment 24 hours a day.
- 1-877-487-2778; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793