Find a Doctor or Hospital Abroad
- For an authoritative reference on physicians abroad, consult the American Board of Medical Specialists.
- U.S. embassies and consulates abroad maintain lists of local hospitals and physicians. You can usually find the lists under the “American Citizens Services” heading.
Please bear in mind that we cannot refer you to a specific doctor or hospital, nor does being on a U.S. embassy or consulate list mean that we recommend that doctor or hospital. We are not responsible or liable for the professional ability or quality of service you may receive from a doctor or a hospital on a list. Names are listed alphabetically and the order in which they appear has no other significance. Professional credentials and areas of expertise are provided directly by the medical professional, medical facility, or air ambulance service.
How To Get Help With A Medical Emergency Abroad
If you or a U.S. citizen loved one become seriously ill or injured abroad, a consular officer from the U.S. embassy or consulate can assist in locating appropriate medical services and informing your family or friends. If necessary, a consular officer can also assist in the transfer of funds from the United States. However, payment of hospital and other expenses is the patient’s responsibility. You can find local medical and emergency information at the website of the U.S. embassy or consulate near the ill or injured person. Find it online at usembassy.gov.
Travel Alerts & Warnings
Alerts & Warnings
- Worldwide CautionOctober 10, 2014
- Somalia Travel WarningOctober 24, 2014
- Potential Implications for Travel Because of Ebola in Parts of West AfricaOctober 24, 2014
- Russian Federation Travel AlertOctober 23, 2014
- South Pacific Tropical Cyclone Season - 2014 - 2015October 10, 2014
Learn About Your Destination
Check your overseas medical insurance coverage: Ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies overseas, and if it covers emergency expenses such as medical evacuation. If it does not, consider supplemental insurance.