Request a Copy of a Certificate of Witness to Marriage Abroad (filed prior to November 9, 1989)
Only Those Listed Below Are Authorized to Obtain a Copy of This Record:
- The individual(s) whose marriage is recorded on the document
- A legal guardian of the individual(s) whose marriage is recorded on the document
- A person with written authorization
All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document.
To Request a Certified Copy of a Certificate of Witness to Marriage (Abroad), You Must Submit:
1. A notarized written (or typed) request that includes all of the following information for both subjects of the marriage:
- Full names
- Dates and place of marriage
- Signature of requester
- Any available passport information
- Return address and telephone number
2. A copy of requester’s valid identification
3. A $50.00 check or money order for each copy requested.
- Make payable to "Department of State"
- The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.
4. Mail to:
Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
1150 Passport Services PL
Dulles, VA 20189-1150
Send your request to our office using overnight delivery for quicker service. To have your records returned to you using overnight delivery, include an additional $14.85 with your request or a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice.
To check the status of your Certificate of Witness to Marriage request, call 202-485-8300.
Learn About Your Destination
Contact us in an emergency: Consular personnel at U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad and in the U.S. are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to provide emergency assistance to U.S. citizens. Visit the websites of U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad for contact information, or search by country name on our Country Information page. You may also contact the Office of Overseas Citizens Services in the State Department’s Bureau of Consular Affairs for assistance with emergencies by calling 1-888-407-4747 (from the U.S. or Canada) or 202-501-4444 (from overseas).