Request a Copy of a Consular Report of Death Abroad (CRDA)
Only Those Listed Below Are Authorized to Obtain a Copy of This Record:
- Next of kin
- Legal representation for estate purposes
All Consular Vital Records cost $50 per document.
To Request a Certified Copy of a Report of Death of an American Citizen Abroad you must submit:
A notarized written (or typed) request with the following information:
- Full name of the deceased
- Date and place of death
- A copy of requester’s valid identification
- Return address and telephone number
- Signature of requester
- Appropriate fees, payable to the “Department of State” by check or money order
- There is a $50 fee for each additional certified copy of a Report of Death
- The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.
Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213
You may send your request to our office using overnight delivery. To have your records returned to you using overnight delivery, include an additional $14.85 with your request fee or a pre-paid envelope for the delivery service provider of your choice.
To check the status of your Report of Death request, call (202) 485-8300.
Learn About Your Destination
Sign your passport, and fill in the emergency information. Make sure you have a signed, valid passport, and a visa, if required, and fill in the emergency information page of your passport.