A U.S. passport is your key to international travel. When presented abroad, it is a request to foreign governments to permit you to travel or temporarily reside in their territories and access all lawful, local aid, and protection. It allows you access to U.S. Consular services and assistance while abroad. Most importantly, it allows you to re-enter the United States upon your return home.
The Department of State's Passport Services Directorate issues U.S. passports to traveling Americans. We protect the integrity of the U.S. passport as proof of U.S. citizenship at home and around the world.
Passport Services consists of:
- 26 Regional Passport Agencies and Centers Open to the Public
- The Charleston Passport Center (Not open to the Public)
- 1 Special Issuance Agency
- 2 Passport Production Centers
- The National Passport Information Center
- A network of more than 9,100 public offices across the United States designated to accept passport applications, called Passport Application Acceptance Facilities
- Headquarters offices in Washington, DC
Our National Processing Centers also issue passports for U.S. citizens that apply at our Embassies and Consulates abroad.
Passports Services Mission Statement
The Department of State will issue to U.S. citizens secure travel documents while providing the highest level of customer service, professionalism, and integrity.
- We will provide service in a courteous, professional manner
- We will always try to meet your travel needs
- You have the right to speak with management if you are not satisfied with the service you have received
If you are interested in learning about passport statistics, please visit our Passport Statistics page for latest information on:
- the number of passports issued each fiscal year,
- the number of passports in circulation, and
- the number to passports issued per state.
Automated Passport Information is available 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- From the U.S. 1-877-487-2778
- From the U.S. 1-888-874-7793 (TTY/TTD)