Steps to Stopping an Abduction in Progress
Contact the Office of Children’s Issues immediately if:
- Your child is in the process of being abducted internationally by a family member, and
- Is NOT yet abroad.
Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 5 PM EST
Call at 202-485-6215
Evenings, Holidays, and Weekends
How we can help:
- We can work with law enforcement to try to stop the departure of children being abducted from the United States.
- If the abductor is transiting a country that is party to the Hague Abduction Convention, we will contact authorities of that country who can attempt to stop the abduction as it is in progress.
- If your child has already been abducted to another country, please visit our possible solutions page for more information, and then contact us for assistance.
Office of Children's Issues at the U.S. Department of State
Speak with a case officer in an emergency or as part of an ongoing case. See all contact information.
Hablamos espanol. Llamenos para ayuda. Aprender más.
Hours: Available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- 1-888-407-4747 Toll free from U.S. and Canada
- +1 202-501-4444
Do not Attempt
We strongly discourage trying to take your child and bring him or her back home because this could:
- Endanger your child and others;
- Have a negative effect on any future legal action you might wish to take in that country;
- Result in your arrest and imprisonment in a foreign country where you are subject to local laws.
If you do succeed in leaving the foreign country with your child, you and anyone who assisted you may be the target of arrest warrants and extradition requests in the United States or any other country where you are found.